Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

January 2013 part 6: the one where all the babies arrive to join their friends who escaped early!

(999 Posts)
BuntysFestiveCollocks Tue 18-Dec-12 12:55:59

New thread as the other one is nearly full shock!

Our next baby should be pmgkt's, but I won't if any little cheeky monkey will sneak in before Thursday?

salt1 Thu 03-Jan-13 15:22:18

djvesi & chutes this is so interesting as it is something i have not at all considered, and genuinely thought it would all happen when dh would be with me. my understanding is to go to hospital when contractions are 5 mins apart, but i am guessing it could take a while to get to that point?

It's annoying that it's so unpredictable, isn't it? It really is a case of anything can happen, at any time! I was so lucky with DS, I woke up at 7am Sunday morning with my first contraction so had DP there and a nice quiet drive to hospital.

This time I am hoping it will be even easier with a homebirth, and DP is a ten minute drive away if it all kicks off if he is not here.

I think it is contractions five minutes apart and you go in. My labour started off with contractions that were three-four minutes apart but I didn't exactly race to hospital as I thought first labours were usually fairly long.

salt1 Thu 03-Jan-13 15:48:26

how long was your first labour chutes

eagleray Thu 03-Jan-13 15:49:13

Lora - I'm no expert but my MW said that the engagement thing can be written/interpreted either way. I have on my own notes 4/5 and 1/5 (written within a few days of each other, by different MWs), both meaning that one-fifth of the baby's head is engaged. The 4/5 one means that 4/5 of the head is free!

Am feeling shocking this afternoon - nauseous and tired and also feeling a bit 'weird' (very unlike me). The courier has just appeared with the birthing pool though, which is a massive relief...

Chutes - I am so over the unpredictability too - was convinced I would go to 40+ weeks but today I feel so odd I am no longer sure. Feel like I am being pushed onto a stage before I have learnt my lines, although of course this may be nothing and I could have many weeks left. Sunday morning start would be lovely though smile

Dj and chutes i actually ended up alone in a taxi to hosp after i started to bleed and dh had to wait for his mum and then followed on his motor bike (he doesnt drive). in our case this was an emergrncy as bleeding and ivy went quiet (the panic)

Taxi driver was almost as panicked as me tho, mw thinks hes probably dining out on his new yesrs eve hospital dash smile

I wouldn't worry tho as all other 3 times we had hours x

7 hours all in salt, I was quite surprised!

apple that sounds quite traumatic. Maybe binbags need to be added to hospital bags to sit on in case of arriving by taxi grin

djvesi Thu 03-Jan-13 16:50:11

I've just chatted with an experienced mum of three friend on facebook. She reckons these bed pads that you can buy in the nappy section of the supermarket that you typically put on baby beds or incontinence pads that go under sheets are worth having for a potential car ride to hospital of any description. Although I didn't need that last time, I happen to have a couple stored away from when DS was in a cot and his recyclable nappies occasionally leaked (they couldn't handle increased capacity as he got to 1 year of age). Just going to pop one in the hospital bag now.

Bunny222 Thu 03-Jan-13 21:58:59

Hey all. Hope ur doing ok.
Am tending to feel nauseous most mornings, and getting the sicky bile in the throat when I go to bed. Feet and ankles swollen too :-(

I got a pack of those waterproof mat/ sheets from Mothercare, they come in a pack of 5 so have one ready upstairs, one downstairs and ones for the car just in case so I dont ruin bed/ carpet/ car.

Saw midwife yesterday head only slightly down and baby is back to back, am hoping yoga will help tomorrow.

Hormonalhell Thu 03-Jan-13 22:16:35

Can I just ask you wise ladies..., do you ever get cramp in your tummy? I don't mean the period type crampy pains, I mean like you get in say your knees or foot? I keep getting it on my right lower part of my bump but last night got it in left too, the pain was excruciating and worse than any labour pain, just worried me but only really happens when I'm in bed

Hi all,

my waters broke a couple of hours ago and contractions have started. Im a little scared and suddenly feel very unprepared shock

Hope everyone else is well smile

Lostbobbles Fri 04-Jan-13 06:53:44

Good luck Preggo xxx

Hormones I get this awful pain usually when I roll over or try to get up at night, it's mainly in right side of bump low down, feels like awful cramp /twisted pain and lasts a good few seconds. hmm

MamaMary Fri 04-Jan-13 07:14:25

Good luck preggo.

In hospital, been given gel to start induction. Differing views on my cervix, doctor thought it favourable and 'a good 2cm' but midwife seemed to think it unfavourable and 'could only get one finger in'...

Looks like I could be here for some time.

octanegirl Fri 04-Jan-13 08:35:06

Good luck preggo and mama!

Hormonalhell Fri 04-Jan-13 08:44:44

Lostbobbles, yes that's it!! When I roll over too, really hurts. My goodness not only same due day, same symptoms gringrin

Hormonalhell Fri 04-Jan-13 08:45:52

Good luck preggo and mamamary by the way!!smile

happyhow Fri 04-Jan-13 09:27:30

Good luck Preggo and Mama!

I've just seen the consultant that admitted me and baby is still fixed. She's happier now that it will probably stay there. I've asked to stay for another 24 hrs to be sure if doesn't pop out again. Also asked if I could get another sweep to see if that'll kick start anything seeing as I'm here anyway! grin If baby stays, I'll be sent home to go naturally, I'm still in on Monday, will def be induced.

salt1 Fri 04-Jan-13 09:28:33

hormonal i had that pain a while ago that i put down to trapped wind/ constipation, i have had it a couple of times. hope you feel better soon. i have developed carpal tunnel syndrome that gets worse at night.

good luck preggo & mama

happyhow Fri 04-Jan-13 09:58:38

Hormonal, I've had similar pains for a while. Midwife put it down to stretching muscles/ligaments and the weight of my bump and just getting bigger. I get them especially if I've been doing too much/walking too fast.

woody2313 Fri 04-Jan-13 10:18:01

Thinking of you both Preggo and Mama.
Had the start of what looks like my show this morning... not getting hopes up yet though - have a feeling I have a long way to go yet...

allchik Fri 04-Jan-13 11:41:32

Oh wow good luck ladies! Looks like u will be meeting ur babies v soon smile

MW ap yesterday,im 4/5 engaged (to mean she can feel 4/5ths of the head boo!) n bub bk to bk still,she thinks itl move during labour,but bump has grown 2.5 cm in 8 days!wowsers,MW said this often happens when mum goes on maternity leave! I am LOVING being off,im managing to stay in bed till 10.30/11 and feel really rested n organised...plus my BP was up yesterday so excuse to take it easy!

I now think im going to get right to 42 wks before mine is born lol! X x

theboutiquemummy Fri 04-Jan-13 13:21:46

Good Luck preggo n mama hoping you both have easy births

Congratulation to all who got to meet their lovely babies over Christmas n New Year not envy at all x

Feel ready to pop house bound can't move keep getting bits of my show but other then that no movement Midwife thinks they have under measured the little bubba on the scan DH thinks they should shut up now seen as we have to do it naturally !x well n truly fed up n weeks till due date sad

Trying to stay positive but there's always something !!

MamaMary Fri 04-Jan-13 13:56:32

Thanks all. Now 3cm and will get my waters broken soon. Then the fun begins....

lollipoppi Fri 04-Jan-13 15:17:15

Good luck to all those in labour! And congrats on all the new baby's!! Loving all the beautiful names smile

I had some BH last night accompanied by period type cramps, on and off for a good 4 hours, but all has stopped today!

salt1 Fri 04-Jan-13 15:19:20

well done mama sounds like you are doing great.

boutique you do sound fed up, am sendong you a virtual hug and a cup of tea

Pascha Fri 04-Jan-13 15:24:37

Hi everyone, been hibernating since christmas. Congrats to all those who gave birth since i last dropped in and good luck those in progress right now.

I'm now 40+5, MW came to my house earlier and swept me. I'm completely effaced and about 3cm dilated but Widget is still quite high so it could be a couple of days before anything starts to happen, or it could be tonight. Went to do the Tesco shop afterwards with DS and ate 2 custard doughnuts to compensate on theway home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now