Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2013 part 6: the one where all the babies arrive to join their friends who escaped early!

(999 Posts)
BuntysFestiveCollocks Tue 18-Dec-12 12:55:59

New thread as the other one is nearly full shock!

Our next baby should be pmgkt's, but I won't if any little cheeky monkey will sneak in before Thursday?

birdiesinthesnow Tue 18-Dec-12 17:59:26

I tend to be hungry in the morning bunty, the last few days I've felt sick past 4pm! Though making myself eat something almost always helps.

What's 4od? We've got Sky will it be on there? I missed all the last series so I'd like to watch some of them.

Oh I meant to say allchik thanks for saying about your friend who measured small and had a big baby, made me feel better!

birdiesinthesnow Tue 18-Dec-12 18:00:32

Ps can someone remind me if it matters how engaged baby is? Mine is 2/5ths. Does it actually make a difference to anything?

happyhow Tue 18-Dec-12 18:08:11

It just means how far down the baby is in the pelvis. If you are 2/5ths then 3/5ths are in the pelvis and the midwife can still feel 2/5ths of baby's head.

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Tue 18-Dec-12 18:08:14

First babies tend to engage earlier, sometimes weeks early, and stay that way til the birth. Subsequent babies don't always engage til you go into labour.

salt1 Tue 18-Dec-12 18:11:15

birdies i have my name sorted, have done since 20 weeks - florence beatrice. do you have a shortlist or are you keeping it to yourself?

CreepyCrawly Tue 18-Dec-12 18:33:32

Glad I'm not alone with the painful kicks!

salt your names are lovely. We've been settled on a name since very early on too, Nancy Scout

theboutiquemummy Tue 18-Dec-12 18:34:56

pmgkt well they told us at the beginning they would make a decision about it nearer the time well i'm not sure how close they want to get, spoke to the midwife this afternoon she said not to worry about it too much, no birth really goes to plan, it doesnt matter how they are delivered as long as they a delivered safely and healthy

Hi all marking place!

Babies movements are sometimes quite painful, it likes to stick its bum right out of the top of bump which can make me yelp!

I've lost my appetite a bit and feel positively ill at dinner time. Think it's a combination of heartburn and baby squishing my insides.

Whoever was asking about names we have ours sorted. Had to convince ds2 that harry potter and ben 10 were not going to be used! We've chosen Isaak for a boy or Ivy for a girl

theboutiquemummy Tue 18-Dec-12 18:43:52

birdies ive just eaten half the christmas brie does that count i was just munching while wondering what to have for tea lol x shock

salt1 Tue 18-Dec-12 18:50:21

apples & creepy great names too, though harry potter & ben 10 good too.

Lora1982 Tue 18-Dec-12 18:55:29

I read in the paper today that blue cheese can ward off nasty ailments so keep on the brie boutique!

Finished work WOOOOO i got sooo many prezzies i was shocked :-D my favourite was a vest that said 'ive been inside for 9 months' they also got a Ewan the sheep look him up on amazon ive got a lot of hopes pinned to that guy. Didnt cry <proud face>

Ive booked in the dentist... Another proud face cos im petrified of them! My tooth stopped hurting though but ive been warned it comes and goes so im preparing myself to get it sorted.

No plug here Allchick but ive been feeling verry crampy and plenty pressure almost like the baby is only 4cm up from his exit... Like hes clawing his way out. My feet are still massive aswell i just hope to god i dont get pre eclampsia though els my water birth plans shot to pieces

Tugstonia Tue 18-Dec-12 19:20:14

Ooh new thread! Marking place...

Hope everyone's doing well. I've been v crampy the last few days too. Also v conscious of movements and had a few whoppers that have made me shriek and totally freak out DP grin. Have lost appetite too which is most unusual. Spent today cleaning, batch cooking lasagne and making thai curry paste for post-birth meals. I love maternity leave!

Complicated24 Tue 18-Dec-12 20:13:03

Marking my place too. Can't believe you only have two more sleeps til Baby Pmgkt arrives. I bet you can't wait to meet little one. We will all be thinking of you on Thursday. I agree with Birdies it is a fantastic birth date.

Great that you are now on maternity leave Lora. I love it.

I went out and bought nursing bras today. Was horrified that they don't stock my size (now a 38 HH!!!) in Mothercare, but luckily had some very unattractive ones in M&S. Am past caring now. It's comfort all the way!

I don't know how engaged baby is as didn't find out at last MW appt. Just know it is head down. I'm not suffering from sickness or heartburn (just painful sciatica) and kind of wish I was, then I would think my body was getting ready for birth. Am drinking raspberry leaf tea (not nice) and eating pineapple (delicious) to try and move things along.

Berniebennett Tue 18-Dec-12 20:46:00

Marking place!

I had a scan and consultant appointment today to check bumps positioning, still breeched and as I'm 37 weeks, this is my first and bump is "a good size" (polite wording for big) they don't expect it to move to head down so have been given a date for c - section - 8th January, 3 weeks today. I don't mind as much as I thought I would as long as I have a healthy baby that's the main thing and looking at the positive that I know I will def have bump by the 8th and won't go overdue. I have already had a comment though (from my mum of all people) saying I was lucky to be taking the easy way out......unreal!

Lostbobbles Tue 18-Dec-12 20:55:29

Hi all

Very late request i know, (been living in denial land) but would love to join. Due 15/01/13 with DC2.

Wishing all you ladies and bumps healthy and quick deliveries :-)

allchik Tue 18-Dec-12 21:15:19

Welcome bobbles

May I rant?I cnt seen to stop crying! Feel really ach

allchik Tue 18-Dec-12 21:19:31

Oops,really achey n sore across tummy,n just had really bad diarhea sad

Cud cope if knew things were starting,but have a feeling its not and im just feeling shit,sorry to moan,just so odd as felt fine yesterday x

sanam2010 Tue 18-Dec-12 21:20:59

Good luck allchick!!

Has anyone got the "what to expect when you're expecting" app? Today it is telling me "your baby is now as big as a watermelon", LOL!
That's certainly what I look like!!

Have trouble sleeping as others here. Whenever i wake up I wonder "are things getting started?" And then I lie awake for hours waiting.

Good luck everyone! We're almost there!

Welcome lostbobbles

allchik that does actually sound like you could be kicking off! Hope your ok, it's all the uncertainty at the end that's so hard. Even with this being my 4th I still notice everything and think is this it?!

bernie at least you know you will def have baby then! Your mum should know better!

Been getting loads of bh today and felt really funny earlier. My bump hurt and I was worrying it could all be starrting. All normal now though!

happyhow Tue 18-Dec-12 21:55:21

Sanam I've got that app. Mine usually changes on a Tuesday too but this is the 3rd week I've had a watermelon in me!!!

Allchick sounds promising (not that I've been through it so don't really know...)

I had a lovely long lie this morning and then went to Tesco where the checkout girl forgot to charge me for 5 bottles of wine... Oops. Didn't notice till I was at my friends house and was naughty and didn't go back and admit it... Then caught up with said friend and after making dinner, I have made dark choc Cointreau and white choc Malibu truffles and spiced nuts! Going to wrap them up in little bags and put a homemade Xmas decoration around the top and give them to my department as Xmas presents. They've had it pretty hard after I went off early...

bohoec Tue 18-Dec-12 22:43:08

Thanks for starting a new thread Bunty.

How do some of you know how far engaged the head is? I've had my (what should be) penultimate appointment with the midwife (I'm 37+1) and she seemed pretty happy that the baby was head down and probably left occiput anterior, but she didn't tell me anything about how far off being engaged I might be. I didn't think to ask. My next appointment isn't until 28th Dec (when I'll be 38+4). Am I jumping the gun a bit - is this something the midwife will tell me then?

Hope everyone's doing ok. Pmgkt good luck for Thursday!

birdiesinthesnow Tue 18-Dec-12 22:49:07

bohoec I was only told in hospital yesterday when I had lots of different checks (im 38+2 now). Otherwise my next apmt is two days before my due date. So I don't think anyone was going to tell me. I don't think it matters really, just ask at your next apmt.

Welcome lost.

Lovely names people have chosen. We've got three or four possibles but until today we were definitely going with just one of them and I've suddenly decided it might not suit her!

djvesi Tue 18-Dec-12 23:00:47

Marking my place...

I had a 35 week scan this week, she is head down and facing sideways, estimated 2.9kg shock
Flu subsiding here, but up with a very unwell DS sad. Getting much more lower back pain and feeling like my joints are all loosening up.

Loving to hear all your news and names! Can't believe we'll be having our babies so soon! Surreal.

newbie6 Tue 18-Dec-12 23:26:15

Allchik, my MW said diarrhoea can be a sign that you will go into labour soon as its natures way of making sure you are ready for birth without any accidents if that makes sense so you never know! Xx

allchik Wed 19-Dec-12 07:43:35

Fanx guys,sorry for being such a mardy cow! The thing is,id b quite happy to go to my due date or past it as ive worked sn late,so not as if im impatient but just felt so odd n rank,n out of control i spose...
Tum still sore but not as bad.but been for 3 poo's in nite!!? Sorry tmi!
Oh well,what will b will b! X x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now