Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Shagged Out Viroids 6th Thread! From Early Days to Ready To Pop - Proof that JSing really does work!

(1000 Posts)
WingDefence Netherlands Thu 06-Dec-12 17:24:47

Hello and welcome to another shiny fred for Just Shagging graduates!

The last fred was nice and busy so fingers crossed we get lots more members grin

We've just moved over from the Shagged Out Viroids Volume 5 thread, where we finally found out that a 'viroid' is from the original JSing thread 1, where someone was trying to type ladies (in reference to all the JSing ladies), but their phone decided to call us all viroids instead!
The name stuck and we've been the JSing viroids ever since.

Our stats thread is here, so if you find us, please add your stats too.

There is also a Just Mumming thread for grads of the grads thread confused grin

And if you want to find out what Just Shagging is about or catch up with the undergrads go say hello to the Just Shaggers here, now on the 12th thread thanks

WingDefence Netherlands Fri 25-Jan-13 19:04:02

Oh my goodness, have any of you seen this atrocious story?

Baby has dummy taped to mouth in hospital

shock

WingDefence Netherlands Fri 25-Jan-13 19:09:16

This afternoon's ante natal class was about breastfeeding but it wasn't very in depth. It was done by a healthcare assistant who was really lovely (and funny) but once she'd got my story out of me she sort of focused on me and at one point I got a bit upset (didn't show it) and could have walked out actually.

Wasn't her fault, but it was just making me realise how it completely and utterly didn't work for me for DS, even though I tried for 6-7 weeks. I mean, I never felt let down, I never had problems with latch, toe-curling, hard boobs, etc and it ultimately, I've realised today, was down to bad supply. I know a lot of breastfeeders say that that is just an excuse for bottle feeders to justify not BFing, but I was attached to a hospital full-strength milking expressing machine and nothing ever really came out.

Anyway, I'll try again but I'm absolutely not going to beat myself up about it again if it doesn't work for MiniWing.

Dysgu Fri 25-Jan-13 19:57:51

I know what you mean about the BFing Wing and I have had experience with health care people in both camps. With both DDs, I 'only' managed to BF until they reached their due dates and that was with industrial pumping machines from the NICU and Domperidone (which is for something else but lactation is a side effect). I tried shields too.

Some health care people are very 'preachy' whilst others, especially in NICU were almost preachy on formula because then you can measure exactly what is going in (and both my girls started on NG tubes, had no sucking motion and were later prescribed special formula - saves a fortune grin )

Anyway, I am planning on trying again with DC3 but will move to FF if that seems to be the way forward. I am considering buying a set of bottles in one of the supermarket baby events just in case - thoughts? (we didn't bother with a steriliser for DD2 - the dishwasher always did a fine job!)

WingDefence Netherlands Fri 25-Jan-13 20:38:29

I got my bottle set in TK Maxx last time, a full tommee tippee set with microwave steriliser that I'm sure is reusable (although I've not looked for it yet!).

One of my friends has leant me an electric breast pump too already but it's for Avent bottles so I don't know what to do - I think we will probably end up giving this one a bottle in the night (of expressed if that works otherwise formula) simply because I am dreadful on no/little sleep and DH liked doing them last time round, bless him.

This lady wasn't preachy actually, she was a very down to earth farmer's wife with six children (one of which was in the class at 29wks with her first DC!) but obviously it was the BFing session so had to stick 'on message' as much as possible...

Gosh I'm tired tonight. Just had a 40 min snooze here in the chair in front of the tv blush

Dysgu Fri 25-Jan-13 20:44:07

I have had an horrendous day so this post is likely to be mememe....

I had my appointments for the second steroid injection today (helps the lungs develop in preparation for this baby doing the same as my others and coming early) and my GTT (for which my only 'marker' is that I am 40 and risks increase over the age of 37).

I had the first steroid injection yesterday. They are in the bum as the needle is 'chunky' but was fine as is in the top of the buttock so you don't actually show any cheek grin

My GTT was meant to be done last week but was cancelled cos of the snow.

So, at every point, I mentioned that I had both tests/jabs scheduled for the same time and checked that this was ok. I must admit, that I was checkign more that I would have time to do both.

Anyway, go to antenatal - check in - remind them I have steroid injection upstairs in maternity unit. Yes, all fine - have bloods and GTT sugar drink then go up for jab. So that is what I do - then get upstairs, wait in lounge/breakfast area smelling of toast (great after my 10 hour fast!) and go through for jab. When she says it won't take much time out of my day I respond with info about being on GTT downstairs. Okay - jab done. Enjoy the two hour 'rest' downstairs...

Back downstairs - check in - fine, sit and wait - get out kindle.

Then a MW comes to find me for the injection - tell her I have had it upstairs as had first there yesterday so was checked onto their computer as appointment was before start of her shift. All fine, just checking she was not keeping me waiting - take a seat...wait...

10 minutes later same MW calls me through for a chat - had been through my notes and noticed I had had steroids and sugar drink for GTT - these are 'incompatible' because steroids raise the blood sugar so me and baby are going to have a 'crazy sugar high today!' By the time she called me through, she had already put a call through to the consultant as she was simply going off her own experience of 38 years on the unit, her own Gestational diabetes and the fact that her two grandchildren were born early.

Consultant returns call - yes - steroids will return test results say I am diabetic - should not have been given together (or even with at least 4 days!) did I mention to anyone I was having both? Explained how I had literally mentioned to everyone over the past week since the first GTT was cancelled/postponed.

He admits they need to change protocol and ensure that all people are aware that these tests are incompatible. Is not frequent that people need them both - one is for diabetes and one for prematurity - so two separate 'sides' of the coin. The GTT needs to be done again - next Friday (3rd time lucky?) as if they use today's results I will definitely be diagnosed with GD and will be called onto the ward for 7 days to have insulin treatment due to the fact of having had steroids and preemies...

So they monitored me for a while - baby fine but VERY active - that will calm down they say but I need to take it easy and try to balance my sugar intake so my body can process the huge sugar rush they have given me/baby. Baby will eventually settle - may go very quiet for a while but should be back to normal movements by the end of the weekend. If I have any worries I should give the maternity unit a call over the weekend and they will bring me in for monitoring again.

Sorry for mammoth post (feel free not to read but DP does not 'get it' - whole other ASD thread!) so is just helping to get it out of my system.

Got to work at lunch time - walked into staffroom to a cheer as my TA team ( I have between 3-5 adults in my room at any time due to SEN children (am a teacher) was so happy to see me as the guy who had been covering my class is a challenge - and then they went onto ask all about baby - so I burst into tears and fled to the loo blush

Anyway, eventually calmed down, missed most of assembly and leaver's presentation for teacher finishing today but managed to pull myself together to hold a short celebration for a boy who is leaving today - was not in the mood to actually teach!

School was great - SMT said I could go home, no worries, call in sick on Monday if things still feel strange, no worries about needing another morning off next Friday (as I teacher I don't get AL so they just have to pay to cover my class) which is saying a huge thing right now as school is not a great place to be and morale in general is awful!

Thanks for reading if you got this far...

Roll on the weekend.

WingDefence Netherlands Fri 25-Jan-13 21:02:53

Oh blimey Dysgu that's such an awful day - and then to go into work after too and face all that sad

MiniDysgu must be having a whale of a time in there, bouncing off the (uterine) walls grin

tiredteddy Fri 25-Jan-13 21:07:55

Oh dysgu poor you, what tiring stressful day you ve had. Hugs for you, can you get an early night. Glad you get the gdd test next fri but so annoying about the muck up with appointments.

Well im pretty sure DS had a good day! Birthdau tea party at my mum and dads tomorrow.

When it comes to parenting choices everyone is entitled to their own opinion i just hope they do some research first.

I will hopefully be exclusivly breastfeeding for 1-2 years but have a few ' just incase" bottles

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Fri 25-Jan-13 22:56:34

Gosh Dysgu that certainly sounds like a day and a half. Hope everything's alright now and you don't have any problems over the weekend.

it's really snowing here now so probably another home bound day tomorrow, but DCs will be fine as they love the snow.

It must be hard having low supply issues Wing - I was the opposite end of the spectrum and some (early) days I could barely get dressed as milk would just pour out of me confused. I came across this article earlier - not sure whether it's of any help but thought it might be of interest?

Me and DH have had an evening of sorting stuff out. Not exactly ' fun' but the downstairs is coming together a bit more - just a bit more painting and some carpet cleaning and we're done I think, well in the living room anyway. Hope you all had a good night.

Dysgu Sat 26-Jan-13 21:52:18

Thanks for all the sympathy - the baby bounced around like crazy all day yesterday and didn't calm down until about 8pm when the sugar rush must finally have worn off. It was then asleep all night - which kept me awake as it is usually awake so that was worrying! It has been quiet for most of the day but did a bit of mighty stretching this afternoon and has pretty much settled down again now.

I have had a headache all day and wonder if it has too once the sugar wore off.

Beyond that I have been feeling fine - a lazy morning and then a fairly easy day. The hospital said they are going to change their protocol and will contact me in writing to confirm that this has been put in place.

Interesting article Guinea I am hoping to BF this time having struggled with both DDs but am waiting to see what happens. I do wonder if it will be easier if this one stays in long enough to be able to suck and latch straight away as I had to express for NG tube feeding with DD1 and DD2 so agree that both the reasons in the article may have played a part of my struggles.

Hooya Sun 27-Jan-13 05:34:52

Hello all

dysgu I hope your headache eased, what a rotten thing to have happen.

Must admit I'm feeling pretty low here. My digestion is pretty bad anyway, but is really terrible now - anything I eat is resulting in very painful wind and diarrhoea, but if I don't eat I feel nauseous and start retching! The pain is really bad, as in enough to have me doubled over, but then I am rubbish with pain so may be just normal to others!

I am worried right now about being able to work properly - my job is between 11-14 hour days, often back-to-back in meetings, which is getting very difficult when I have to run to the bathroom all the time or when I'm trying to present to someone senior while trying not to retch!

Sorry for the moan, just feels right now like I'm not in very good shape, and as I'm only just under 7 weeks, there's a long way to go til I may get some relief!

MrsBri Sun 27-Jan-13 08:52:25

Poor you, Hooya :-(

I just had a little read up on this, as I had / have the exact opposite problem.

Though, weirdly, diarrhoea can be a symptom of constipation, apparently.

The website I read suggested eating brown rice, bananas and apples to assist with binding.

I did have painful trapped wind too in the early days, but that passed. Now I just have wind.

Pregnancy is certainly not glamorous. :-/

MrsBri Sun 27-Jan-13 08:55:18

Dysgu, so sorry about the hospital doing that to you and bubs. I hope you both feel better today.

I imagine baby was knackered after whizzing round in a sugar rush, hence the sleep pattern changing.

How far along are you now?

Hi all - hope things have settled down now dysgu

All a bit bleurgh here - still being very sick and today a faint led to me falling down the stairs. Obviously hurt me (head and knee) but now worrying about the baby. I am stacked out with meetings this week, but have Friday afternoon off, so fingers crossed I can get a GP appointment then, as I need, somehow, to manage this low bp and the resulting black outs. I'm just about 14 weeks now, and was hoping for things to have settled down, but seems not yet. Work is a nightmare and I sympathise very much Hooya. I have a 3 hour board meeting Tuesday and am not looking forward to it at all sad

Hope you and babyb are ok waves

Have my 37 weeks growth scan a week tomorrow! Final meeting with consultant. Weired to think next week im full term

BelleEtLaBaby Sun 27-Jan-13 19:33:14

DH and I have had a conversation today in which we agreed I can drop to pt hours after mat leave. I really hate my job so I am really pleased smile

Hooya : I feel you, sister <down with the cool kids me>. Am so sick. 8-10 times a day and that on anti-sickness meds sad hate teaching at the moment sad

8 weeks in, 32 to go... I'm so pleased I'm going to have another baby but I'd forgotten how much I dislike actual pregnancy sad

Dysgu; dreadful that the hospital made such a mistake but glad all is ok smile

How is everyone this evening?

Kittenkatzen Sun 27-Jan-13 22:58:06

Evening smile

Sorry so many of you are feeling so rough - sending lots of sympathy your way. waves hope you didn't do too much damage to yourself on your trip down the stairs, I'm sure baby will be ok.

I have been a bad kitten and started shopping already hides from wing....DH and I went for a wander round mamas and papas today and then came back and ordered quite a few major bits online. It was all half price in the sale and we figured that we'd be daft to miss out on the opportunity - the stuff isn't due for delivery until march and we can cancel at any time so we're not stuck with anything should the worst happen. It was all a bit surreal really!

Just done a list of everything i still need comes in at around £110! Thank god for oh getting paid before the baby is due

WingDefence Netherlands Mon 28-Jan-13 15:45:42

Ooh kitten no need to hide from me! I'm sure everything will be fine! grin

I've not yet worked out what we need but I think DH and I will be getting baby stuff down from the loft this weekend (carry cot, clothes etc) and starting to go through it. I think now I'm 30 weeks it really has hit home that MiniWing is on her way!

And biscuit and brew for everyone for the various ailments/rubbish situations that are going round the thread.

Dysgu Mon 28-Jan-13 21:45:53

Gosh , everyone seems to have so much else to deal with besides this 'growing a human' lark!

I am now down to 19 work days to go until I start ML - DD1 is chief counter and reminds me every morning how many days to go. She is happy enough about the baby but she is really excited about me being home to take her to school and collect her in the afternoon too! She is already planning who she wants to invite home on 'playdates' as we have so rarely had people round.

My boss has finally got round to thinking about my maternity cover although TBH I am pretty sure she is leaving it a bit late! The advert has gone in the paper and interviews are set for the week of 11th February which means they then need to start the following school week (although there is half term in the middle) if we are to plan any sort of handover. Still, I figure that is not my problem but expect that whoever lands the job might be wanting to meet up in halfterm or will keep me busy with emails.

My boss has also asked me to complete the mid-term assessments on my classes and to then use that data to write my reports and to hold parent conferences before I leave. These are usually due towards the end of March.

She is being very nice though, but keeps reminding me she has a 'duty of care' so has offered me time to work from home to mark the assessments and to write the reports and will cover my class for an afternoon so I can hold parent meetings then and on one evening - but will give me a half day off in lieu the next day so I don't get too tired!

These are all things that we normally have to fit in around working and teaching full-time so it is really nice that she has considered what she can do to help me get everything done without getting exhausted. It still seems like I have a lot of stuff to get done in the next few weeks - and I opted to get it all out of the way before we finish for half term so I don't have the option of leaving it until half term to finish stuff - but that gives me 14 working days to get everything done!

Hooya Mon 28-Jan-13 22:57:50

Hello all and thanks for the sympathy - sorry others are feeling rough, much rougher than me by the sound of it blush but nice not be alone, iyswim!

waves that's horrible re falling! Really hope you are ok, and Belle sick too, it's no fun.

something so close now!

Bad Kitten, you're making me want to shop!

Right, off for my morning retch before work...

Pineapple80 Tue 29-Jan-13 01:13:05

Hope everyone feels better soon and sorry to hear of illness and mishaps lately hmm.

Going for job interview today with potential client and if all goes well i think I start Monday. Fingers crossed!

Have discovered only one suit fits me now! Eek! Seems I have expanded somewhat without really noticing grin

Take care ladies x

tiredteddy Tue 29-Jan-13 07:40:57

dysgu you school sound great really supportive! Not long now until ml.

pineapple good luck for the interview today.

frogchops Tue 29-Jan-13 08:24:53

So I've been away for a while....just off to catch up, I may be some time!!
My nurse has said I'm somewhere between 6-8 weeks. But still she wrote 22/09 as my Edd. Surely this narrows it down to 6 weeks? hmm I have a drs appt for him to prod at my tummy tomorrow, an also to poke my boobs apparantly blush.

36 weeks today! Feeling rough as DS dicided not to sleep till 4am and wanted up at 6

This thread is not accepting new messages.