Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013.....we're halfway there! (Part 5)

(1000 Posts)
bunnygirl80 Sun 02-Dec-12 01:50:50

Our newest home!

Old thread here

Stats thread here

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 02-Dec-12 21:46:51

Thanks giddy it was really hard work! Think I've been having Braxton Hicks actually after some googling! A bath and a big drink seem to have settled it. Hope your night shift goes ok too.

I saw a really nice Cath Kidson changing bag actually. I'm not that into her stuff but it was great! It's not something I'm particularly thinking about yet!

We're still looking at travel systems. Budget isn't massive DH has vetoed my Quinny dream and it needs to fold quite small as we only have a Polo. Suggestions for the folds up small/around £400 mark gladly received.

Rivergirly Sun 02-Dec-12 22:13:16

Hi

on the change bag front I have a skip hop change bag - bought when I had DS2 and it was fab - lots of pockets to put things in, big strap to carry and little velcro straps to attach to various pushchairs! Mine is plain black as it went with all previous pushchairs.

I am defo opting for a travel system - so much easier when out in the car to offload a sleeping baby in the car seat and onto the pushchair without waking it. But I don't know what I want - my two options are either a Mamas and Papas pliko pramette - I had just a normal pliko before which was fab and used for both my boys and bonus built in toddler step or the lovely looking quinny buzz - cos of the lovely big wheels which are always so much easier to push but it doesnt have the biggest shopping basket in the world and I do like to walk to the shops when I have the option.

Still mega excited that third time round we are having a girl - bought a few little pink things this weekend but my head still doesnt quite believe we are having a girl!!!

oh and got a bargain m&p cot from a friend the other day for £30 like new - trying to save as many pennies as poss for the travel system!!!

20 + 3 days edd 18th april xx

ILoveNoodles Sun 02-Dec-12 22:21:32

Hi everyone! Thanks for the welcome and the reassurances about the oods for downs.
Had a busy day we went out for my DP's nans bday and I ate soooo much thought I'd explode!
step2412 and trishstar its nice to have others with same due date!
Trishstar this is my second I have a little boy already.
As for names we have a couple that we liked from having our son but obviously didn't use as he was a boy.
I don't have to buy a new buggy just yet as I still have my travel system from my son, along with matching changing bag and footmuff! Its black so is okay for a girl this time round. Its a pilko pramette.
I haven't bought anything yet I can't get motivated to I'm gonna need to at some point though as gonna need some clothes. We have some friends who are passing on lots and I want to go to an nct sale heard they are really good so hoping to sell my boys stuff and get girl stuff.

usernamegoeshere Sun 02-Dec-12 23:00:09

oooh welcome more new people!!

I had some braxton hicks already, originally I thought was baby curling up in a weird position but that was just cos it kept happening at 5am when I was groggy, when it happened in the day time it was easier to judge what was going on.

Also (sorry if tmi...) my nipples are weird, is a black mark on one like dirt but I scrubbed it & its not. Dr Google has reassured me that its fairly normal and my nipple probably won't fall off.

And my bellybutton is dissapearing. I took the piercing out about 5 weeks ago, now its literally getting more shallow by the day with extra skin inside (thats a bit sensitive) & one side is like a ramp now.

So yeah, thats my weird symptom check for the day, sure I will be back tomorrow with new ailments.

21+2

Ollibobs Sun 02-Dec-12 23:16:15

Hi everyone! Haven't posted in ages, but have been reading everyday.
Our scan isn't until December 11th, which seems like ages away! The suspense of finding out if it's a boy of girl is killing me! Although, I have a feeling it is a boy, although, can't say why exactly - just a feeling. It's our first child though, so I have nothing to base that on other than a hunch.
Love the baby name/push chair/changing bag talk. We have a girls name picked out, but nothing at all for a boy!
I've been researching pushchairs like crazy the last few weeks. At first I was dead set on the Bugaboo Cameleon, but now I'm leaning towards the Uppababy Vista. Unlike the Cam, the pram is suitable for regular overnight sleeping, so negates the need for a Moses basket and it comes with the car seat adapters. The basket is huge and is accessible with all seats (unlike the Cam). Plus it can be parent facing, has a built in additional sunshade and adjustable handle. I had a push around John Lewis and it was like a dream.
However, like all things that seem too good to be true, the downfall is the price tag. At £600, it seems a bit over the top.
Trying desperately to rationalise shelling out the money, but just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Haven't bought a thing yet, as waiting for the scan first....
Am eager to hear views on other cheaper travel systems.
(Sorry, that was a long one! blush)

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Mon 03-Dec-12 00:41:19

Huh? Is the Bugaboo Cameleon not suitable for overnight sleeping then? I thought that was the whole point of getting the carrycot bit confused

toobreathless Mon 03-Dec-12 01:57:39

FlaminNora not all carrycots designed to fit onto travel systems are suitable for overnight use, it depends on the mattress and how they are ventilated, some are, you need to check with with brand.

Faith I have a 2011 Polo and two Quinnys: the Buzz and Zapp. I recommend both, for different things, the Buzz is perfect for a newborn and does fit in my boot with the carrycot, you just have to take the front wheel off which takes about 20 seconds. The Zapp is a very lightweight stroller which folds up tiny but is only suitable from 6 monthsn.

To those buying travel systems for the first time it is worth considering that most people (well people I know anyway!) seem to use them for a relatively short peroid of time then get a stroller/MacClaren.

Mama19080 hope you are baby boy are continuing to get on OK, Alexander is such a lovely name, so strong. I am very impressed your DD gave him such a mature and thoughtful name! If my DD got to name no2 I suspect it would either be 'bubbles' or 'daddy' but she is 19 months grin

Night shift going OK here, unfortunately DH is on a course tomorrow and worked today so was up with DD this morning and will have her all day tomorrow. No sleep for me! DH usually has mondays off so she doesn't go to Nursery. Luckily I have never needed much sleep.

Morning everyone! Anyone else got insomnia? Mama, how are you doing?

Got 28 week scan appointment through for seventh january,so not too long to wait. Can feel baby kick loads more.

This is baby number five for me, it's funny but when I had dd1 we lived in town and my phil and ted was absolutely invaluable. Now we live in the country and I didn't bother once with i t I drive everywhere and use a sling when I get there. Not environmentally friendly at !

Teapig Mon 03-Dec-12 08:06:05

Thanks for all the advice on travel systems. Kellestar thanks for sharing your experience of the Graco Quattro, I will definitely think carefully about that.

Giddypants Mon 03-Dec-12 08:31:27

Morning everyone, I have my first growth scan today, and a check to see if the notches on my arteries are still there, DH can't make it so mum coming with DS.

Really in two minds whether to find out the flavour, I really want to know but then I don't.

Lots of movement here thankfully going to sleep when I sleep but is up and kicking when DS wakes me!

Missmuffet28 Mon 03-Dec-12 09:10:14

Lucky you giddy mine wakes up when I get in bed! Keeps me awake a while especially when kicking against the bladder sort of area that's very uncomfortable the little monkey!

Good luck with your scan today also I think there is a big stigma attached to finding out the sex sometimes, I just looked at it as tho its a surprise whenever you find out whether its when babe is born or at scan just if you find out before you can prepare slightly! When I was sat in waiting room I thought I changed my mind and didnt want to know because then the surprise was all over but actually I'm glad I stuck to my guns because I have already picked up some really cute stuff not saying neutral stuff isn't cute but sometimes the gender specific stuff is very cute grin

My MIL has made a big deal out of not wanting to know infact me and her have come to blows a little about this pregnancy but that's a whole other story! At the end of the day it's my baby I wanted to know and that's all that matters anyone else that finds out is just fallout I'm afraid unless they genuinely want to know then I tell them!

21+1

EmpressMatilda Mon 03-Dec-12 09:26:10

missmuffet My mum was adamant she didn't want to know so though we told my dad and sister and MiL we didn't tell anyone else and those 3 had to keep it secret. It worked well for about a week then my mum gave in and asked dad!

giddy Could you get them to write it down and put in envelope so you have the option?

Thanks everyone for the discussion about travel systems and prams. It's very helpful for first timers like me. Still not convinced we need the pram and pushchair but if we do decide to get them I at least know they can be got cheap!

Definitely going to buy a cot and mattress though. Can't do without that! Someone mentioned Boots have a baby club. I have loads and loads of Boots card points saved up so will check that out.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 03-Dec-12 10:36:56

Hope it all goes well today giddy.

I'm off to see my GP in a bit. I had a did I dream that moment but DH confirmed that I did in fact throw up in my sleep last night (lurvely!). I'm definitely not right so best to be checked out!

I joined Boots baby club. They've sent me a magazine etc through the post already!

19+6

somewherebecomingrain Mon 03-Dec-12 11:50:10

hello all - marking my spot
xx

JaquelineHyOnChristmasSpirit Mon 03-Dec-12 11:58:36

Morning everyone

I am in agony the whiplash has well and truely kicked in today and I am fuming at my Drs who despite me being in floods of sobbing tears down the phone on several occassions still haven't rung me back to advice whether or not they will prescribe some kind of pain relief that DH can go and pick up.

I can barely move but apparently because my Dr is off today I have to wait until all the other Drs have finished clinic before anyone will bother to ring me angry angry

I also can't get any reply at my midwifes for advice on what I can take over the counter.

So I am stuck in agony and no fucker cares angry angry

So for the whingy moan I just don't know what to do.

Crazytictac Mon 03-Dec-12 12:08:39

giddy hope your scan goes well today and the check up.

havealittlefaith hope you feel better. Is it ms or bug ish?

missmuffet yikes, your MIL sounds hard work! I think sometimes people forget that it's your baby first and foremost.

silentmammoth no insomnia here but I've found since I stopped drinking caffeinated drinks late afternoon onwards has made a massive difference. Can drop off to sleep like a man now whereas never used to be able to do so. Having really bizarre dreams though about people who I've not thought about in years and wasn't even friendly with.

Have had a look at the pacapod, they look fab so think I will be purchasing one soon! Thanks for the tips ladies. Still not feeling a lot of movement but there are definite occasional kicks now, usually early evening. Mad how two pregnancies can be so different.

Hope everyone else is well

Crazytictac Mon 03-Dec-12 12:14:46

X posts. Oh jacqueline sorry you're having such a rubbish time. I know from experience that they often won't prescribe anything for whiplash (sometimes strong pain killers, codamol(sp?)) but don't know what the position is with pregnancy. Your doctors surgery sounds crap, somebody at least should call you back. Could you see a physio privately? Know that is expensive and may not be an option but just thinking of suggestions.

ILoveNoodles Mon 03-Dec-12 12:39:37

I think this thread is sooo nice. I am really enjoying hearing about everyone who is at the same stage.

Insommnia here too but then I have always been a bit of a rubbish sleeper which only gets worse when pregnant.

Giddy I second having it put in an envelope I did that as my DP wasn'twith me but we wanted to find out together.

Jacqueline I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. Even though we can't actually get to you we care.

Just a question is anyone having really bad back pains? I couldn't really move this morning and it took me 40 mins to wall myson to school on a journey that is usually 15mins.

jj247 Mon 03-Dec-12 12:51:23

jaqueline have you tried speaking direct to a pharmacist? Your DH should be able to ask them to advise on suitable over the counter pain killers if you aren't having any joy at the Doctors, at least as a temporary measure?

I have the babymule changing bag, it converts from a messenger bag to a rucksack, clips directly onto the bar of the pram, has lots of useful bags and sections so you just take the bits into the changing room you need etc. and looks like a plain black rucksack from the outside, so totally Dad friendly (they do lovely bright colours too, if DP/DHs don't mind!) on the inside it is red and the changing mat has a fab red japanese floral print so appeals to my girly side but DP can still carry it smile

Got my 20week scan in 1 hr!!! V nervous...

19+6

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 03-Dec-12 12:58:09

Gp isn't sure what it is, has done some bloods and will ring me with results. Urine dip was negative. I guess it could be stress/anxiety...,its the anniversary of our house catching fire sad She did say it might be anaemia. I'm not back at work til Saturday night so hopefully a few days off will help me perk up.

Poor jacq, that sounds awful. Hope you hear from someone soon!

JaquelineHyOnChristmasSpirit Mon 03-Dec-12 13:37:55

Having you poor thing, I hope it turns out to be something and nothing. What happened when your house caught fire? Was everyone ok? Try and rest over the next week if possible.

jj247 Good luck with your scan.

The Dr has been out and I have been prescribed some pain relief, DH has just gone out to get it. Also advised on how to complete an ice massage which apparently will be as effective pain relief as most tablets.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 03-Dec-12 13:56:44

The fire was not as bad as it could have been - food processor caught fire, smoke detectors woke us up at 12.05am. Lots of smoke in the kitchen, lights tripped so we got out and called fire brigade. They came promptly but still fire damage to kitchen and smoke damage to the whole bungalow. It took 6 months to put it right. It was just the two of us (and the hamster who is still going a year later!) but it's caused a lot of anxiety.
I am thinking though its unlikely I'd be sick in my sleep from stress?! Ah well, at least 5 days off to rest and recover (I hope!).

Sounds like you've got a good treatment plan there. Glad you seen promptly!

Good luck with your scan jj!

usernamegoeshere Mon 03-Dec-12 14:00:46

Having if you were sick in your sleep did you consider acid reflux? I'm not completely sure but I believe that can cause similar symptoms in some cases.

LordOfThe5Rings Mon 03-Dec-12 14:04:53

Hi all was on the very first thread but haven't updated in absolutely ages!

I am due April 8th! I am 22 weeks today grin

She is doing absolutely fine, thank goodness and nearly destroyed my bladder yesterday! :D

LordOfThe5Rings Mon 03-Dec-12 14:05:50

^ Oh yes most likely acid reflux. I got that very, very bad last night. It stopped me from sleeping for a good 2 or 3 hours, it just burned.

Congratulations by the way to all the April mummies out there smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.