Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 part 2

(995 Posts)
ArkadyRose Fri 30-Nov-12 16:35:05

And on we go! smile

Runswithsquirrels Fri 28-Dec-12 11:53:53

Well the scan was amazing, I burst into tears when I saw the beating heart which made my belly shake and the picture wobble. We saw an arm and fingers, and one leg. DP got a better view as he was right behind the sonographer. I feel I can relax a little now - until I find something else to worry about!

I hope everyone else is having a good day.

As to exercise - I intend to return to running when I have something resembling energy again. Soon I hope.

13 +3 (just gained three days and now due July 2nd).

AmaDablam Fri 28-Dec-12 12:00:53

ellie I haven't really thought that far ahead, but in terms of "going public" with the pregnancy itself, it won't be announced on FB until absolutely everyone we feel deserves to find out in a more personal way has been phoned, texted, emailed or told face to face. I think we will be the same about the birth itself and follow the same pattern we have for the pregnancy - parents and siblings first, followed by close friends, then everyone else. I'm hoping people will be sensitive enough not to "leak" the news on FB before we have made it official but I guess it's just one of those things you have to deal with in this day and age.

We've also already made the rather contraversial decision that there will be no photos of our DC posted on FB and if other people put them up they will be politely asked to take them down again. Somehow I don't think that's going to go down very well, but it's a personal decision and hopefully people will respect it.

shelley72 Fri 28-Dec-12 17:53:00

well im back. and its good news grin.

i was in tears before i even got onto the bed, the sonographer said i looked scared to death so we explained why (well DH did - i was sobbing). but there was one (just the one!) little baby in there, not in the best position and not being overly co-operative about moving to take measurements but there was definitely a heartbeat, and an arm and it may possibly have a leg too. NT measurement was 1.6 which the cons said is 'encouraging' and just have to wait now for my risk given that and my age and bloods. but i am as relieved as i can be.

now i just have to anounce it to everyone! but first to DS (5) and DD (2). am really not sure what to tell them as i know DS will want to know EXACTLY how the baby got there, what it looks like, when it will be here, how will it get out etc etc. he likes to know stuff. any suggestions about how to break the news? i dont want to tell him too much, as hes only 5!

oh and i am about 6 days further ahead than i thought - EDD by scan 3 july smile

Beginningofthejourney Fri 28-Dec-12 18:35:03

Good news from me too, saw a very wiggly bubba! Think he/she will either be Gymnast or they were practicing doing just dance on the wii! Having another scan in 4 weeks as sonographer thought she saw a small hernia on the cord however I saw the consultant and she couldn't see anything and wasn't really concerned so taking it as an opportunity to see bubba again and nothing to worry about!
This is an IVF baby so they didn't check dates just went on what I said so edd is still 11th July :-)

MrsRoss26 Fri 28-Dec-12 21:20:07

I feel completely daft asking this... but is it normal to have a dating scan at your booking in appointment? I'm due to see the local midwife clinic on 7th January and am seriously hoping that I get to have it there - keeping this secret from in-laws around Christmas (and on to my family tomorrow) is proving a bit of a nightmare. I'm fairly sure the MIL has guessed / been nudged in that direction by my DH's godmother. I can't wait to tell people, but my other half is very concerned about us having major problems show up.

Supershiv1 Fri 28-Dec-12 21:24:06

Hi guys.
11+3, scan not due till 8th and I feel like poo.
At lunchtime today noticed brownish mucus/discharge when I wiped after a wee. Have had very small amounts since and slight cramping.
NHS direct says contact midwife-but it's Friday night. Having looked through previous posts it kind of seems common but earlier on?
Think hubby wants me to go to A&E and is annoyed I didnt call docs at lunchtime (but have been working 2hrs away today so could hardly rush back, plus first time didnt have tummy pains, they've come on later ~ although they are only light)
Any thoughts?
I feel like I could go to bed now and crash and have a cracking headache.

BB01 Fri 28-Dec-12 21:42:52

Supershiv1, had similar thing happen night before xmas eve but with bright red blood too. I was just over 12 weeks. Called out of hours gp who said call normal GP in morning (cue sleepless night!). GP booked me in for scan in a week's time from then. Couldn't wait that long so paid 80 quid for private scan. Best money ever spent as would have gone mad from not knowing. Baby happy as Larry. Sonographer said it's quite common at that time when the placenta implants. Other poss causes too and all harmless. Felt so lucky and do hope it'll be the same for you. Hopefully you will get further with the NHS than I did. It varies from area to area and xmas eve was bound to be busy! Sending massive positive thoughts your way.

ArkadyRose Sat 29-Dec-12 01:49:16

MrsRoss26 Nope, scans are organised separately from booking in; there's not a chance you'll get a scan the same day unless you book one privately for that day. Midwives don't do scans; you'll get a separate referral through from the ultrasound department - usually for around 12 weeks.

Tashtastic Sat 29-Dec-12 07:32:31

supershiv I had a similar thing happen with my last pregnancy at around this time and went into a bit of a tail spin. I contacted the epu and spoke to a really nice ward sister who reassured me. Fortunately I had a scan booked for a couple of days later and everything was fine, then went on to have normal pregnancy and healthy baby boy. So if you're still worried then don't bother with NHS direct and either contact the epu where you are booked in (some are open at weekends) or go to A&E.

Hope everything is ok- big hugs

MightBeMad Sat 29-Dec-12 08:06:16

Supershiv I had it in my last pg and all was fine. I have it again this time too (have been spotting brown for about 3 weeks now with prob only one or two days without). I've had two scans so far and all fine. Now waiting for 12 wk scan on 7 jan. midwife unconcerned.

I'd say it's likely all is fine. there's lots of reasons for a bit of discomfort at this stage (stretching, gas, bit of pelvic pain, anxiety!). If the discomfort turns into proper cramps, the bleeding goes red or you are worried, you can always call your local midwife led birth centre or labour ward (thry're staffed all hours) for advice. Otherwise call your midwifeir go in the morning xxx

CottonSock Sat 29-Dec-12 09:33:24

Mrs Ross My scan was with booking in appt at 12 weeks, but this does not seem to be norm based on what other ladies say (most seem to see midwife about 8 weeks). Mine was at big hospital and it was a conveyor of scan, checks, pee sample, bloods, midwife. I don't see my community midwife until 15 weeks at my GP practice. Did they say anything when you booked the appointment?

Supershiv1 hope the spotting has settled. it's always on a weekend these things, I would call out of hours GP, or A&E if gets worse.

Hope all doing well. Sorry for those sick over Christmas. I am eating for two and do seem to be getting more energy now. Been napping a lot last week and very glad for the time off work. Bump is growing, trying not to buy any clothes yet and make do with what I have that's bigger sized (tempation of sales is pulling me though.)

Got a letter with my 20 week scan,. 4th Feb. Not sure if I already told you all this, but dead excited grin. Booked a week hols in Devon for March, so something to look forward too in the next few long weeks of work. Yesterday madness took over and I started decorating our spare room. Need a rainy day project.

Long post again from me!

14+5 ish

MightBeMad Sat 29-Dec-12 10:01:02

Congrats everyone on the good scans! Seems they're coming thick and fast now grin. Another 10 days for me!

10+4 ish

emblosion Sat 29-Dec-12 10:15:18

mrsross think it depends where you live, here the booking in and scan are done together at 12 weeks & a midwife does the scan (i live in northern ireland). But I think the norm is to see midwife to book in at about 8 weeks and have a seperate scan appointment.

The 20 week scan here is done by sonographer, but you still get midwife appt in the same day.

supershiv hope things have settled.

Congrats to all with good scan news, feels a bit more real now, hey? grin

emblosion Sat 29-Dec-12 10:17:09

Oops, 13+2 according to scan!

flyingsprocket Sat 29-Dec-12 10:19:51

Yay for all the great scans ladies!

Runswithsquirrels Sat 29-Dec-12 11:49:20

Just changing my EDD:

CottonSocks - 1st July
QuinandThem - 1st July
Badgerwife - DC2 - 1st July
Cutandstick - 2nd July
Runswithsquirrels - 2nd July
Persuasion - 3rd July
esme80 - 3rd july
Glup - 3rd July
BB01 - 4th July
Dinkystinky - DC3 - 4th July
elliejjtiny - 4th July
Thinkingof4 - 4th July
wifey6 - 5th July
Notprincesskate - DC2 - 5 July
OhGood - 5th July
Gingerpanther27 - 7th July
TheQueensChristmasDinner - DC5 - 7th July
Efme - 8th July
PenguinsInThePantry - 8th July
GeorgieWilson - 9th July
shelley72 - 9th July
Calmisthemantra - 11th July
Specialknickers - 11th July
Emblosion - 12th July
mysterymeg - 12th July
Princessllama - DC3 - 12th July?
SlouchingPanda - 12th July
Thundercatz - 12th July
Twirliedobbit - DC4 - 12th July
MrsMillions - DC1 - 13th July
Hai1988 - 14th July
LittleFlower888 - 14th July
Tashtastic - 14th July
Lizincornwall - 15th July
Mizar - 15th July
Guavasforbreakfast - DC1 - 16th July
paolocee/donna - 17th July
Supershiv1 - DC1 - 17th July
missmaybe - 18th July
MrsWildermac - 18th July
photographerlady - 18th July
GingerJulep - DC1 - 19th July
Niktasha - 19th July
whitedaffodil - 19th July
orangebubbles - DC2 - 20th July
Thinking positive thoughts - 20th July
AmaDablam - DC1 - 21st July
Beaditsback - DC2 - 21st July
butterflyexperience - 22nd July
Cheeseandbread - DC1 - 22nd July
Isitme1 - 23rd July
MightBeMad - 23rd July
ArkadyRose - 24th July
Boostar - 24th July
Cantreachmytoes - 24th July
Grannyapple - 24th July
Camb79 - 25th July
Sashabella0 - 25th July
MrsRoss26 - 26th July
BoyMeetsWorld - 27th July
marimama - 27th July
YikesHereWeGo - 27th July
Flyingsprocket - 31st July
SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus - Unknown

mysterymeg Sat 29-Dec-12 12:51:23

My crazy half price sale nursery furniture has just arrived :-) mental I know but couldn't resist the deal!!

Tad worried I may have jinxed myself but baby looked fine three weeks ago. Now waiting im patiently for next scan on 8 Jan. Argh the suspense!!

12+1

photographerlady Sat 29-Dec-12 13:31:45

Oh I went crazy at the sales too. Bought a babybjorn babysitter rocker, carrier, also a Medea swing breast pump. Three things I really wanted and were at a great discount.

trickybarmby Sat 29-Dec-12 13:51:26

i didnt really introduce myself before, its hard to reply from my phone cos you annoyingly cant see what you're writing! so im on a real computer foor once! I'm 32 and on my third pregnancy, approximately 10weeks ish? I have already had an early scan at 6 weeks ish after I bled for over a week and was having severe back and period pains and just felt generally ill, they found a heartbeat but couldn't find an reason for the pain, just said it must be the uterus and muscles etc stretching then it sort of got better with just dull period pain and backache, constant nausea but no actual vomiting.

I suppose I've just been seeking some reassurance, I had my eldest son at 24 and my youngest at 28 so am not sure if it's just a case of being older this time around or if there's something seriously wrong, I've fortunately never had a miscarriage so don't know what that may feel like and unless I start massively bleeding or something would like to try and avoid going back to the epau or the gp because my gp just thinks I'm a massive hypochondriac anyway and I was there for check ups all through when I was bleeding, I've just never felt like this before and can't imagine it staying this bad or getting worse for the next 9 months!

ive still not recieved an appointment for booking in or a scan, im not sure whether its because its been over christmas time or if they've forgotten about me and i should chase it up! x

elliejjtiny Sat 29-Dec-12 14:05:19

Welcome tricky. I had some weird symptoms with DS2, felt ill rather than pregnant and panicked a lot because with DS1 I just threw up a lot and it was all different.

I haven't done any sales shopping but I don't really need to buy much for this one. I need a sling (not sure whether to get a moby or a woven one), a new breast pump and a bigger car. I also want to get some nice vests as my other July baby just wore vests for the first few weeks and I was disappointed that I didn't have any nice ones, just plain ones as I thought they would be hidden under babygrows.

13+1

dinkystinky Sat 29-Dec-12 14:23:55

Tricky, no harm in chasing up the appointment. Referrals do sometimes get lost - DS2's referral got lost. Im on number 3 too - DS2 is nearly 4 so it all feels fairly new to me too....

OhGood Sat 29-Dec-12 17:16:25

Hello all - I have been away and out of computer range. Just wanted to hop online and tell you all that my scan on Xmas eve brought pretty good news - she could not see the 'cystic structure' that the other sonographer saw, and she had a pretty good view. Baby alive and wiggling.

God knows what it was that we saw - she speculates maybe bladder? But it was huge, like 1 cm in a baby measuring 5cm from crown to rump. We have to go back on 14 Jan for another set of diagnostics and bloods and scans etc, but sonographer said we have every reason to be hopeful. So we have decided to BE hopeful, instead of worrying and stressing and speculating endlessly. Am acting like I am pregnant, telling everyone, and being positive. (And trying not to worry that being positive will jinx it all again.)

I have not caught up with the thread yet but congrats to all with good scans!

Just back from the Internet/signal blackout that is south west Wales! Not read through all updates but just wanted to say congrats on the news to Ohgood, so happy to hear that baby was ok, sending you lots of positive vibes!

(now just need to do the same for myself, feel like the world's worst worrier!)

And also congrats to everyone else with good scan news, can't wait for mine now!

Still feeling sick but actually being sick less. Half of me is rejoicing in having a day or two without rushing to the toilet, while the other half worrying about decline of symptoms.

11+5 (or 10+? according to november's early scan... Scan on the 4th should tell!)

dinkystinky Sat 29-Dec-12 18:32:18

I am so pleased to hear from you OhGood and delighted the scan went well. Fingers crossed for no more scares from here on in.

Thinkingof4 Sat 29-Dec-12 18:40:03

ohgood that's great news, and I think being positive is absolutely the right thing to do. Certainly sounds very encouraging.

Congrats to everyone else who has has good scans in last few days

We told inlaws about me being pg today and they seemed delighted if not a bit shocked. Did later have discussion with FIL about expanding world population but I reminded him of declining birth rate here and that there are now more over 65s than under 15s in Scotland (?same in rest of uk?) and he agreed we do need to repopulate Scotland to pay the pensions of his generation!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now