Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

March 2013 IX: Cruising to Christmas with burgeoning bumps

(981 Posts)
Sheldonella Fri 30-Nov-12 08:22:31

Thanks sarahs999 for the lovely new thread name smile

Old thread here

No 9, can you believe it grin

StormyBrid Fri 28-Dec-12 19:39:09

Well, mine's not being born until at least 9 weeks tomorrow, because that's when my sister's turning up and she's holding my hand while I do the screamy part. If I go into labour before then I shall be crossing my legs!

sundaesundae Fri 28-Dec-12 19:47:56

Yes, I have no intention of popping this little thing out for at least another 12 weeks. Having so far purchased one car seat and one baby-gro and being very head in the sand about it all it best not do any surprises!

OodKingWenceslas Fri 28-Dec-12 19:49:20

I'm hoping for 10 weeks yesterday! Going to broach it with consultant on monday

JoJoBella84 Fri 28-Dec-12 20:12:20

I only have 7 weeks left... Argh! Where has the time gone??!

Hi all

Hope you are all ok and have had lovely Christmases. We are back home tonight from ILs until we set off to my DB's tomorrow until New Year's Eve. We've had a lovely time and Anna has been duly spoilt by everyone, but I feel like I've had more than my share of being a misery guts! Does anyone else feel like they are just that bit irritable at the mo?!?

28 weeks now anyway, feel like I'm getting quite big and the baby is very active, but have ages to go yet. Done nothing for the nursery yet, but once Christmas is finished I think we'll be getting on with it and getting DD some new bedroom furniture. Then need to replenish stocks of baby essentials!!! Quite exciting really! Anyway, better go, hope you're all feeling ok. Will check back in again soon. X smile

theTramp Fri 28-Dec-12 23:54:08

Glad to hear more good christmasses have been had ladies.

I too am 28 weeks today Ethel. Go us! I had a hyper-active Socs yesterday, seriously from breakfast til bed nothing but wriggling. Still can't be felt by anyone else, but I was feeling quite battered by the end of the day. Whether this was a protest about leaving Ireland, or excitement - well there are conflicting view points. Personally I reckon it was the apricot jam on my toast at breakfast.

Today, much quieter, thank goodness. Cold is improving too. I may even be able to breathe by New Year. smile

StormyBrid Sat 29-Dec-12 10:10:26

If you can breathe by New Year, Tramp, enjoy it while it lasts. Yesterday my sister asked me if the baby had started kicking me in the back of the ribs yet. This suggests easy breathing is soon going to become a distant memory.

JoJo was it you who's mad about owls for the nursery? If you're in Hull at the moment, check out Zebra down Newland Avenue. They have owl hand puppets! Every time I see them I think of you.

theTramp Sat 29-Dec-12 10:26:30

Stormy - oh the joys!

leniwhite Sat 29-Dec-12 13:23:31

Hi ladies, I'm a very latecomer! I'm 27+5 grin

leni

StormyBrid Sat 29-Dec-12 15:49:38

Welcome, leni!

Remember how weirded out we all were by the existence of the August thread and its implication that we're all really quite pregnant now? I just found the September thread.

Sheldonella Sat 29-Dec-12 17:07:01

Hi everyone! I'm back from all the family visits and so glad to be in my own house. We had a nice time with relatives but I missed my nest smile I'm 30 weeks today - I can't believe it. I got lots of bump admiration from relatives and my parents neighbours which was lovely. We also got given some lovely baby things with our presents.

Just picked up nappy lady order and now have a great selection of reusable nappies. I can't believe what I get excited about these days. We also have a travel cot and cot mattress, the main cot is coming on Monday. We should then have everything we need.

Sorry to not catch up more, will have a better read when I have had something to eat.

Rainbowbabyhope Sat 29-Dec-12 18:44:10

Hi all! Hope everyone had a a lovely Christmas with lots of resting time. Can't believe we are all in or heading towards the 30s in terms of weeks! I'm 29 weeks but have no idea how long I have left as I am not evicting this little one until she is good and ready to come out! Incidentally I read today that in France full term is considered to be 43 weeks and apparently this is the same in other countries so plenty of time for baby to grow!

We started investigating prams today. Way too much choice - its like picking a car! The two that caught our eye are the silver cross surf and the quinny zapp extra. Two very different travel systems which we like for very different reasons. Does anyone have any experience of either of these? I couldn't believe the prices of some of the prams we looked at - some of them came close to what we paid for our new car with all the extra accessories and bits! a

pudtat Sat 29-Dec-12 19:21:14

Hello (waves). Have been lurking for a little while, sorry blush, as having problems registering, but am here now.
Am 33, expecting my first, 27+3, it's a boy (unless it's a girl smile).
Today I went shopping in the sales and bought baby clothes! (First purchases, so quite exciting!).

kirsty80 Sat 29-Dec-12 20:21:44

Hey! Welcome Leni and pudcat!

Rainbow.. I too have been exploring the world of prams! With our first we bought a bugaboo with lots of extras totalling £1200!!! This time I am not going to be as foolish - although we did get about half our money back on eBay! We have been looking at the surf - which a few of my friends have and love, they say that the carrycot is not a necessity as the newborn insert to the pram does the job. We are also looking at the quinny buzz 3 my sister has had a few prams and swears by the quinny! I know they are at the cheaper end of the market but she says they are the best!

I don't know how you feel about eBay but I'm scouring it at the moment as there are often Brand new prams for sale at a fraction of the shop price!

It's exciting all this malarkey isn't it! Hope you are well! X

LexiandBeanette Sat 29-Dec-12 20:58:00

Welcome newcomers!
31 weeks today and time is flying by. We have the Quinny Buzz 3 and cabriofix car seat, got the pram and accessories second hand and around half price, plus the car seat new. Have been putting it up and it seems really straightforward & easy but obviously not used it yet! smile

HermioneBoo Sat 29-Dec-12 21:11:46

Evening everyone!
Hope everyone has had a good Christmas, today has been the first day with no visits or outings planned for us and I got some bargains smile got the Bababing changing bag for £15 off my original quote, got all the boots changing bag and stretch mark oil and bath stuff and a couple of other things - original price for all that was £40 and I got it all for just under £10, love me a bargain!
Rainbow I really liked the Surf when we were looking, the only downside was that I found it fairly heavy but it was by no means the heaviest I tested. Have you got a Kiddicare near you? They have a really wide range and an area where you can push them about to compare against each other.
I'd also second the recommendation re eBay and prams, my friend got a Bugaboo with all the extras she wanted for half the price new and it was in really really good condition.
Sheldon I am really over excited about the changing bag I got today, it's funny what excites me nowadays too!
I'm 28+4 today and getting some crazy movements, proper 1-2 kicks and my belly gets distorted, it's nice to watch but I'm not looking forward to when those strong kicks are directed towards my cervix, I've already had a whole morning of cervix kicks and I couldn't concentrate - they were making me jump!

Hermione, are you due 20th march? Think I'm 28+4 too.

Welcome Leni and Pud, always room for some more! smile

Rainbowbabyhope Sat 29-Dec-12 22:42:15

My DH also really like the Jane Rider travel system which comes with the car seat which can lay flat in the car (with a 5 star safety rating) - not seen one in person yet yet but they look extremely sturdy - anyone come across one of these models in the shops? They don't seem to be very common.

mandasand Sat 29-Dec-12 23:20:48

Hello everyone and welcome newbies leni and pudtat smile

Glad you too enjoy Christmas Day by yourselves Emus - felt a bit antisocial but it was so necessary this year! Next year I think we will invite families here as Mum is really excited about having Christmas with babies clambering all over the place. And WOW re pram-present! Hurray for your DH!

Dame did you fix something to wear for the wedding? Sorry if I missed a post about that.

Six weeks to go here till 27 weeks if it's a CS. As I've mentioned on FB I got a call from the high risk clinic to say that my 1996 surgical notes weren't destroyed by Leeds after all (?!) but secretary couldn't tell me what they said so waiting for next consultant appt on 9 Jan. On the one hand I had totally come round to the idea and positives of of a CS; on the other, waiting for nature to take it's course means I may get a few more weeks to do stuff before babies arrive! despite fact I prob won't be able to move Anyway, we'll see.

Lots of house stuff happening here. Nursery nearly finished. Old boiler and small bathroom radiator replaced today. Little window in cupboard bricked up. Decided on cheapest local firm for double-glazing and front door after visiting a v. previous satisfied customer and trying desperately to pin them down to a January date. And John Lewis (who are doing free planning appts at the mo) came round today to measure up kitchen … but it remains to be seen whether we will get the ridiculous initial quotation down by 3K! If not then at least we got some great designs done for free today. I'm sure there's other house stuff to report but I'm too knackered to remember!

My hunger knows no bounds at the mo. Got up in the night as couldn't sleep and discovered that the problem was hunger so I dived in the box of Celebrations … hmm! And the babies are getting really strong in their movements. My belly is crazy sometimes!

theTramp Sun 30-Dec-12 00:05:06

Time really is winging by isn't it. I suppose Christmas was that - oh we'll look it after Christmas - benchmark and now we're there and indeed past it it all feels a wee bit more, well, immediate.

Prams - we are going for upababy vista Rainbow because it was one of two that was high enough for tallies like us and of the two baby was up the highest, so closer to my eye line (and as I am short sighted this is a good thing) which also means closer to me (and as I hate bending to lift heavy things this is also a good thing) and it is £200 cheaper than the bugaboo chameleon. However it is quite new, so not yet on eBay, but hey, you can't have it all. I think fact that I went in with quite strict criteria on what I wanted, and not needing to stoop was one such thing, meant I was able to funnel down the vast array very quickly indeed. If I hadn't, well the choice can be bewildernig and they all seem to have a best of type award tucked away somewhere.

Hello to newest additions, where have you been ladies?!

Am off to bed now with my shoulder cat. We are only just home today and seems we were missed. I have a feline shadow and this shadow thinks sitting on my shoulder is way to ensure I do not disappear again. I feel quite bad that as of tomorrow two small humans under the age of 5 will be staying with us for 3 days and cause levels of disruption they have n'er seen before. Still, best for them to practice, Socs is going to be a real shockwave!

sundaesundae Sun 30-Dec-12 01:13:15

We are getting the vista too Tramp! I went and practiced taking it apart again in John Lewis today, sooo easy and light. We also saw lots out and about with different age babies in, so that was nice to see.

Up stupidly late as I suddenly have a cold! Can't lie down without mucus stopping me breathing, so have got back up and taken paracetamol, got a tissue full of kiddy olbas oil and covered feet and chest in vick, hopefully that should clear it a bit enough for sleep... unfortunately the cats are now awake and so is the baby (I swear the baby responds more to meows than anything else, the boys also like putting their paws on my bump.... bless).

Welcome newbies!

mandasand Sun 30-Dec-12 02:04:15

Nice to be not the only one awake at ridiculous o'clock, tho sorry you are suffering sundae. I have never thought to put olbas oil on feet - is it like that thing where if you rub garlic on soles of feet you can taste it within seconds?

I really shouldn't have had that second coffee mid-afternoon. Been tossing and turning in bed for 2.5 hours. Husb. the same, and we tend to keep each other awake in these circs, but he was sensible and got up and had tea and mince pie and is now in bed asleep. So I've got up as both babies seemed to be turning somersaults and I'm now starving (hot choc and cheese sandwich).

Maybe now is a good, quiet moment to write up my what-to-pack-in-my-hospital-bags notes from the NCT class?!

theTramp Sun 30-Dec-12 07:32:20

I'm awake thanks to baby acrobatics and stuffy nose. Cats thrilled, much purring (think motorbike) and she's tucked herself up under my chin. Other cats at end of bed hoping I get up to make her tea soon and MrM is trying to sleep but cat purrs are annoying him. Sundae - totally with you on purrs being babies most recognised noise!

lannyshrops Sun 30-Dec-12 08:14:24

Morning all!

Welcome leni and pudcat

I've not been around much as still battling the lurch, two weeks and counting now! V grim! It's not quite bad enough to not be in work, but that ends up meaning that when I am at home I end up crashing out and feeling as weak as a kitten! I am a typical nurse and make a terrible patient, normally self diagnosing and moaning, hence staying away! Roll on the return to normal levels of immunity!

30 + 3 now and starting to feel very real, especially as you said tramp it's all been about "after Christmas" and erm, now it is!! The nursery is finally nearly done, just have to paint the windowsill and varnish the cupboard, * Jojo * every time I go in there I think of you as it is owly! (It is you with the owls isn't it?? Preggo brain alert! ) had a little moment when DH put up cot, full body slam of "oh shit, we're having a baby, a real live baby!!" cue lots of tears and snot and panicking. Totally wasn't expecting that!! Felt like that a lot in the first trimester but thought I'd got my head around it all!

The rest of the house is coming on too, hall stairs and landing just waiting for the glossing of doors and frames then move on to lounge. Hopefully after the new year we will FINALLY get our worktop matched by the kitchen rep and then that will be done so we can tile. Need to call the seamstress to hem the curtains and alter the blind in the orangery but thought I'd wait until new year. I have had a few grumps at DH for deciding that he wants the whole house decorated before LO's arrival but secretly I am so pleased as it is looking so nice now! Sounds like yours is coming on too manda it is a fab feeling isn't it? I was telling DH about your kitchen quotes as I thought they must be OTT? He surprised me as apparently not! I have never fitted a kitchen as my house had a lovely new one when I bought it and DH did his before he met me. He said that if he didn't have to work and we lived closer he'd come and do it for you!!

Liking all the pram talk again, really is probably the biggest expense isn't it, in terms of equipment i mean? I know we've been very lucky and had virtually everyone donated, but a little tiny bit of me really, REALLY wants a lovely new pram. I have to keep reminding myself not to be so silly as the money we have saved could go on a little week away in the lakes at the end of the summer, which will be lovely, but still, a girl likes nice shiney new things!! Have to say tramp did a little search for upababy vista rainbow and couldn't find it, then realised the rainbow bit was not the name but your response to * rainbow* Doh! I just LOVE pregnancy brain!!

Love to all xxx

lannyshrops Sun 30-Dec-12 08:15:28

Clearly not battling the lurch but the Lurgy, damn you auto correct!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now