Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Refused NHS Antinatal Classes

(6 Posts)
Kimmyrich Thu 29-Nov-12 08:02:32

I have been informed that I am not able to take antinatal classes on the NHS as I.m nit high risk enough (even though I am seeing a consultant) and in the right catchment area. I have looked at other classes and they are either too expensive or the free ones are too far for me to get to as I don.t drive and would have to go on my own as my partner wouldn't.t be able to get the time off work as they are during the day and the times for them take up half the morning (plus some walking maybe need which would take a lot of puff out of me). I am new to mumsnet and this is my first post. Where do you lovely people think I stand on this and do you think I should challenge my midwife for a place on the NHS?

Bunbaker Thu 29-Nov-12 08:09:27

That is outrageous. I found antenatal classes very helpful. I don't understand why you aren't in the right catchment area if you are able to go to ones further away. Can you ask your midwife to intervene?

NCT do reduced rate for those on reduced income I thought. Have you rung up and asked about that?

Kimmyrich Thu 29-Nov-12 19:01:55

Thanks Bunmaker I might have to speak to my midwife again and Northernlurker I'm not on any kind of benefits so would not receive any reduction.

Kimmyrich Thu 29-Nov-12 19:02:24

Sorry Bunbaker not maker :-)

Bunbaker Thu 29-Nov-12 19:14:29

I don't mind grin. I hope the midwife can help. I found the classes invaluable, especially when I was in labour. When I gave birth to DD there was nothing I didn't understand and I didn't at any point feel scared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now