Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012, 'Christmas rush' has a different meaning for us this year!

(993 Posts)

Thought we should have a shiny new thread.

Not seen her today but will do tomorrow. Ill speak to her on the phone though. I feel bad for not preparing her but at least dp can be with her tomorrow and Sunday before if all starts. I'm ok just bored and grumpy! Also my mum wants to know what's going on and I just want to say none of your business wait for me to contact you!

Mummycox Fri 23-Nov-12 16:01:53

Hope all going well spotty

Bets are on for how many babies arrive in the next week...

WeeJo08 Fri 23-Nov-12 16:10:28

Putting my Ugg boots on alone is NOT FUN.

kate2boysandabump Fri 23-Nov-12 16:10:51

This always happens to me, I go out for the day and you fill the thread and there's talk of babies arriving grin grin

Spotty Hope that you're doing ok and that you get to spend some time with your dd before your induction. I would think that it will be a bit gentler than before as you've done already had a baby.

Utopian Did you go for monitoring or did your LO wake up?

Very painful back joint here, completely over did it yesterday blush Have had to use crutches all day, so now my hands hurt instead hmm DH has been off today, so we have picked up a few last minute bits and had lunch out together, Was lovely smile Tonight we're going to make a birth plan, if I can get him to stop playing on the kids iPad mini. It's their Christmas present, not his!!!

kate2boysandabump Fri 23-Nov-12 16:11:29

My TENS machine arrived today too. Seems very real now.

ellliebelle Fri 23-Nov-12 16:15:52

Just marking my place been to a soft play place with the dd's today and they had great fun but think i may have done myself an injury sad had to jumo up quick and run as a littlr boy was sat on top of dd2 who was bent in half next thingbi know i can hardley move and it feels like my pelvis has been snapped in half. Still in quite a bit of pain now so all sat having a snuggle watching a. film

knottyhair Fri 23-Nov-12 16:37:30

Thinking of you Spotty, and looking forward to some lovely news soon xx

itsMYNutella Fri 23-Nov-12 17:07:58

Just remembered a BF tip - midwife said for the first few days to let baby feed little and (if necessary) more often - much better for the nipples. She also said not to pull the baby off your nipple (because it'll be bloody painful) but instead to sort of slide a finger between baby's mouth and nipple to break their seal.
Hope that makes sense.

Hope you get a bit more comfortable spotty and good that you have the reassurance that your nice consultant will be oncall the weekend! I can imagine that is a relief.
Love hearing the updates from Honey and pidj!

Blimey page 3 of a new thread already!!! Probably page 4 by the time I click post grin

EggsMichelle Fri 23-Nov-12 17:26:16

Just spent 2hrs in the bath, is it eating prunes or looking like a prune that brings on labour?

With assistance from DH I have been defussed, much more presentable now, especially if as DH hopes I go into labour this weekend (never going to happen).

How exciting spotty to have a date, roll on Sunday!

PurplePidjin Fri 23-Nov-12 17:31:47

I've had heavy encouragement to demand feed, Nutella. In fact i feel quite sorry for ffers round here, all the mw's seem militant about bf!

Rafa is asleep on dp after a nice tummy full of milk which would be great if it didn't mean I'll have to do dinner!

Oh no eggs I haven't even shaved under my arms in two weeks blush no chance now!!

AlisonDB Fri 23-Nov-12 17:40:38

Off out for a Girlie night tonight, "book club" (or for everyone else wine club)
Looking forward to getting out of the house for a few hours of me time, must remember to pack my aniseed Gaviscon liquid to take with me, (maybe I can imagine its Pernod!) lol

Spotty hope you are feeling more comfortable now,

DH came home from shops before. He went out for milk........
And came back with an iPad.... His excuse
"we'll I kind of thought it could be our early joint Christmas Present, and if we are going to be at the hospital for a long time it would be nice to have"
Lol yeah right!!!

Clarella Fri 23-Nov-12 17:41:48

Nutella and pidj - are you saying your same thing or different there? Is demand feeding what nutella describes? My bf session was so long ago I can't remember !

itsMYNutella Fri 23-Nov-12 17:49:14

Pidj I appreciated it as nipple advice rather than feed on demand advice (i have no clue about routine vs on demand)
But they are soooo pro BF here, they even worked out the costs.... Allegedly BF saves an average of €120 a month! shock I think I'm mostly keen due to the weight-loss aspect of BF if I'm really honest. Yes, yes, better for baby, blah, bonding, blah healthy, blah blah blah, but no-one knows before hand if its going to work for me and the bean so it really bugs me when people get all militant that you ^must^ BF! That's why I've picked the MLU I have; they seem totally supportive whatever you want to do (fingers crossed they stay that way!)

Sorry, didn't mean to rant about militant BF supporters. I just find it so unproductive to put pressure on people when it should be a matter of choice. <gets down and puts away soapbox>

itsMYNutella Fri 23-Nov-12 17:53:20

Alison that is brilliant man logic! Ha ha ha ha! Hope he brought milk too smile

Clarella the way I understood it is that demand or routine it was better for your nipples to keep feeing time short for the first few days. hmm I don't remember the midwife expressing an opinion on demand vs routine.... Might ask my personal midwife when I see her though - not that I'm bothered, I'm worried that I'm actually a little too slack for routine (timing and routine are not exactly something I'm known for wink )

kate2boysandabump Fri 23-Nov-12 17:56:17

The finger tip is good if you need to reposition, stops soreness. Feeding on demand is a little and often in the early days.

emilyeggs Fri 23-Nov-12 18:10:33

Marking my place, hope you're well spotty smile

PurplePidjin Fri 23-Nov-12 18:56:29

"If it cries stick food in it" seems to be working here. We'll find our own routine as we go tbh smile

I hate anyone who tries to force their opinion on others - don't really know how I'm going to cope as a baby-wearing, cloth-bumming "Natural Mama" <boak> I'll end up punching someone just because of my parenting choices!!

ellliebelle Fri 23-Nov-12 19:06:51

pidj i babywear and bf and intend to use extended rear facing carseat with this baby (didnt even know about it with other two) and i really hate how judgemental people are too sad i dont judge them for going with the main stream even if i disagree with it so what right do they have to judge me. I think i would cloth bum my baby if i wernt too lazy to wash everything o and i also co sleep smile

pidj great advice I was given was 'if it makes a noise stick a nipple in its mouth' grin I'll never forget that!

EggsMichelle Fri 23-Nov-12 19:22:53

Spotty I forgot my armpits!!!

My number one reason for wanting to BF is its free! Why mess around with expensive bottles/formula when when I can get it any time free from my chest. Second is I'm very scatty, and would forget to pack something and bf would be an epic fail!

DH insisted I had my iPad early so I could have it during labour, and I love it!

EggsMichelle Fri 23-Nov-12 19:29:15

I mean ff would be an epic fail! And sod what others say, it's you who has to carry out the parenting, not them!

Great advice! From what I remember a newborns stomach is literally the size of a grape or something ridiculous.. bf babas feed on demand so it's gonna be little and often?
Haha pidj you crazy hippy baby wearing mummy you! wink
I'll be honest the weight loss and cost are my main incentives (terrible mother!) as dd is all good and healthy so she survived on formula. Saw in supermarket -My god it's expensive a few years on- that was enough to motivate bf efforts big time this time round!!

Hope you get sme rest/sleep spotty exciting things are happening soon, although must be quite a shock!
I shave my armpits every day, maybe every other .. There was me panicking about an unkept lady garden and chipped toe polish <I really must be too high maintainence!>
DP out tonight, I burst into tears when I remembered all cleaning and tea/bedtime duties were down to me. Off to look for comfort treats in the cupboard ..

itsMYNutella Fri 23-Nov-12 19:53:57

Eggs I had to read your post 2/3 times before I realised you were not saying that FF is an epic fail confused yes I agree- grin I would definitely forget to leave the house with all the necessary bits and pieces <bad scatty mummy>

Cookies I'll can join you on the treats, I'm having a very luxurious treat of half baked Ben and jerrys.... Yummmmmmy!
Yes midwife had various sized marbles to demonstrate how a baby's stomach grows in the first 10 days, it more than doubled from what I remember...

Anyone else find that they look down and realise that their bump or boobies seem to have suddenly grown since you last looked/ noticed? I was washing my hands yesterday and looked in the mirror and realised my boobs are really filling out! I'm sure they didn't look like that last week... shock

Secondsop Fri 23-Nov-12 19:56:29

In my NCT class we were told that a newborn's stomach was about the size of a marble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now