Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012, 'Christmas rush' has a different meaning for us this year!

(993 Posts)

Thought we should have a shiny new thread.

Checking in
We are here to help keep you sane spotty
Aww welling up honey so jealous, I want a baby hanging off my boob, feels like my belly is hanging/separating and hanging down (if that makes any sense)
Had pains for hours last night, gutted it never amounted to anything, barely slept and now the cold is ten times worse. NO motivation to do any sort of cleaning/nesting - you're putting me to shame ladies. My towels are all over the place too haha wink

Walnut8 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:02:52

Tell me about it stacey. SIL is back-up but doesnt have kids and not sure how she would go if she had to comfort DD if she woke and then do breakfast, change her etc etc confused... crap, feels a bit more uncomfortable tonight than it did last saturday. but it's probably just more practice!

Is there a shop in the hospital spotty? could you perhaps go for a walk and pick up something to read?

Alison i love those type of afternoons

Walnut8 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:05:57

cookies I hope you can get some rest today sad

No got to go back on the monitor in a minute. There is a shop but it's about a miles walk!! Also Sod's law if I go anywhere my consultant would come round.

Wood you recommend the epidural? I'm sure SIL would be fine just have everything (clothes nappy etc) laid out ready and a breakfast that doesn't need anything doing to it like a brioche smile also take done paracetamol and get bouncing! It rest if you think you might need it wink

PurplePidjin Fri 23-Nov-12 13:09:38

Ask for a 1ml syringe, you can collect the drops in it and then dribble it in. Might not be any way to store it though.

Latched on here too after an epic 3 hour nap, off to the shops with daddy after lunch smile

MyDaydream Fri 23-Nov-12 13:12:23

Aww honey that sounds lovely.
I'm in costa and there are so many cute babies around, I'm melting inside at the cuteness!
walnut sounds like the perfect opportunity for baby to arrive! My mum is away the first week of December, she's left strict instructions not to go into labour then. I'm worried now its been said its guaranteed.

Walnut8 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:13:26

Its midnight here ... I think I should go to bed yeah? Chances are will settle down again like last time. I think I would prefer that - far more civilised to go into labour during the day, no?? grin

I had mixed experience with my epi - only worked properly on one side and meant that I had to have a catheter which I hated and also that I had to stay on my back in bed which made the pain on one side of my body so much more unbearable (fuck, am actually starting to recall that pain). Having said all that, I think I will try to make it as far as I can this time then will probably ask for it again. Most people I know that have had it would def have it again and for those who have had second babies, I think all have said it was a better experience with an epidural. Hope that makes sense. In a nutshell - yes I would smile

utopian99 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:17:35

Just marking place. Will find out on Tuesday if they think it's possible to give me an epi or not due to freaky spinal issues..

PurplePidjin Fri 23-Nov-12 13:18:05

We have milk grin

All over his face in fact hmm

Great news pidj!

The syringes can go straight into the fridge/freezer.

Thanks walnut guess ill just see how things go

cashmere Fri 23-Nov-12 13:38:47

Hmm wondering if things are gearing up for me. 38 +5 and feeling v pmt ish- which is how it started last time.

Or could be nothing!!

EggsMichelle Fri 23-Nov-12 13:48:57

Ha Pidj, you are in production!

I've also had strict instructions not to labour next weekend, and the parents are going to the Royal Albert Hall, and will not sacrifice their tickets, even for their first grandchild!

I currently hav a cat hanging of my boob, padding away, it is both creepy and uncomfortable.

brooke89 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:50:47

I think there will be lots of babies on this thread!

cash and walnut hope things get going for you! I still don't know whether the pains I get are Braxton hicks or not - I actually don't think il even realise I'm in labor when it happens!

PurplePidjin Fri 23-Nov-12 13:54:12

grin He's sparko on my chest, off for a walk to the shops in a minute so i can have a bath. Can't wait for the rest of you to catch Honey and me up!

I was told not to do more than 10 minutes expressing each side at any one time to protect the nipple. It's a frustratingly slow process, too

Hello All,just checking into the new thread. Hope you're not too bored Spotty try and enjoy the rest a little before it all kicks off!

Ooh fingers crossed for some weekend babies grin

HoneyMum21 Fri 23-Nov-12 14:46:11

Managed to go out for an hour and a half and now were halfway through another mammoth feed. This better just be a growth spurt!

Anyone know if you can request (specific) visitors not to be admitted to visit you on a post natal ward?
I have got myself an overly keen acquaintance who's due a week after me please don't let her be on the ward at the same time who is desperate to always be in touch and wants to plan visits within hours days. i keep reminding her she might well have her hands full by then but she's adamant and starting to scare me a bit.

HoneyMum21 Fri 23-Nov-12 15:07:33

On our postnatal ward you could ask for certain people to be kept away - ad they did in a very nice non-offensive way. wish they could have told my MIL to bugger off

Barbeasty Fri 23-Nov-12 15:12:11

Prunella they should be pretty good. The visiting hours for non-immediate family, and numbers you can have at any time are limited and strict, so there's always a readymade excuse.

Hope you manage to avoid her!

MyDaydream Fri 23-Nov-12 15:21:45

I'd just see if they'd lie and say you were sleeping/at capacity if you really don't want her there. Or if they won't do that let her stay 5 minutes then say "well X is coming and they've come a long way but its been lovely to see you". I've got a blanket ban on visitors in the hospital because I really want some alone time with DP that I know we won't get once we leave.
I've exhausted myself in town, I now feel disgustingly dirty and really sick. I do think I've finished Christmas shopping, and except from a few bits ill get in the next shop baby is done too.
Can I just ask how many vests and sleep suits I'll need in the hospital bag? I'll be staying overnight at least. Is it best to pack a few 0-3s in with the newborn ones just in case I have a fatty?

Ok steroids as planned then induction starting Sunday night. Nice and gentle though she said not like last time confused argh! On the plus side its my lovely consultant who's on call all weekend

Clarella Fri 23-Nov-12 15:33:55

Oh spotty <hugs> but good that nice consultant is on - plus you get baby soon too!

I am getting more bh and can feel lo wiggling right in my pelvic floor. Watching skyfall after a wagamamma dinner was interesting last night: major digestion-tractions throughout!!

Clarella Fri 23-Nov-12 15:34:18

Has dd been in spotty?

HoneyMum21 Fri 23-Nov-12 15:44:47

spotty glad your nice consultant is on. Can DD visit you over the weekend? Are you ok?

AlisonDB Fri 23-Nov-12 15:49:30

Ooh Spotty not long now!
(Excited and slightly envious that you will soon be cuddling your LO)

Am glad it's your lovely consultant who will be on with you.

Hopefully DP can bring more stuff in & DD and you can begin to relax a bit, sometimes it's the unknown that is the worst part, but now you have a definatly plan in place, try to rest as much as you can and enjoy the quiet before your LO arrives!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now