Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - the thread where Detective's baby arrives

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 19-Nov-12 11:02:14
YellowWellies Tue 20-Nov-12 19:48:37

Mmmm banana fritters.... mmmmmm

Jeez MM that's a terrifying estimate - ours is only £50 a month. Feck I forget that gas prices are nuts these days living on an island sans gas.

MissMummy1 Tue 20-Nov-12 20:09:09

You're telling me! I almost passed out when the estimated bill came through! Gas and lectric for 3 months has come in for about the same as I was paying monthly for the apartment in the bay (bloody electric heating!). Fair dos though, it hasn't been too cold and now Mr Frugal is paying the bills he's been a bit more stingey when it comes to putting the heating on!

Dixiebell Tue 20-Nov-12 20:42:12

Power cut tonight while DS was having his bath. Poor boy, it was pitch black. Had to try and carry him down the stairs, naked, wet, scared, trying not to fall over, and work out where the torch was. It took a while. Not fun at 39 weeks! Luckily, he is v familiar with the episode of Peppa Pig where there is a power cut so he knew exactly what was going on!

No progression period pain/contraction wise so looks like I'll have to get up early for the consultant appointment tomorrow angry
DH is paranoid that they'll keep me in and he'll be stuck at work as ill have to car. Told him I don't think that's likely smile

mrswee Tue 20-Nov-12 21:43:38

thanks for the sympathy over they way those people spoke to me to day. It's actually the second time I've been verbally abused by a stranger and called a bitch since I have been pregnant! The other time was a mad woman on a bus who took a dislike to the fact my bus pass wasn't working and the bus driver was trying to help sort it out and holding the bus up a bit.
I'm usually really thick skinned but I have felt anxious for most of today since that happened.
DH came home and made me feel much better with his disgust and shock at those people and when I mentioned the bin thing, he didn't explode for once, he just said he didn't know how he forgot and then went and sorted out all the over flowing recycling, unpacked the dishwasher, swept the floor, gave me a lift to the shops, painted the window frame in the babies room and is now cutting and fitting a blind for the livingroom window so I can get my boobs out without the neighbours seeing once the baby is born. Starting to feel a bit better buut really hoping I don't bump into those people again.. I'm thinking I probably will though.

Detective... 1:3 I hope DH isn't sick really!

jenbird Tue 20-Nov-12 22:31:51

Banana fritters sound good right now MM

mrswee I really don't understand some members of society anymore. How can they think that this is a reasonable way to behave. Vile!

I am bored of this now. Only 40 weeks today but never got past tomorrow in previous pregnancies and can't really see it happening tonight. Getting really fed up with having to keep on top of the house in case my in-laws have to come and look after the children. Also my hb is self employed so if he has time off he doesn't get paid. He was hoping to have a few weeks off for the baby and over Christmas but I am not sure we could afford it if his paternity leave stretched into December too much.
clarella I just looked at that video. Do you think imagining doing it might work. I think I might go through the floor otherwise.

Have had a shitty day too and potentially caused a family rift. Basically dh's cousin is somewhat deranged and shared an article on her facebook page which could only have negative outcomes and was very vindictive towards us. There was no possible good to come of it and it was malicious. About 6 months ago she behaved in a way which caused major family trouble (again directed at us) but because she has problems with depression everyone sort of pussy foots around her and won't actually tell her that her behaviour is unacceptable. I have had enough of it. I haven't said anything but I have unfriended her as I don't want to have to see the lies she spreads constantly. I can tell my MIL is worried about what will happen especially when we are supposed to go out for a meal all together in a few weeks. I do not want to cause any trouble and I really don't want any confrontation but I also don't want anything to do with her. Bloody families hey!

Sorry for the big long post. Most of it moaning too!

mrswee Tue 20-Nov-12 23:22:38

arrrgh... you know how DH was painting the baby's window frame.... and how lovely but annoying cats can be?

I just went through and discovered a trail of white gloss paw prints from the window all the way through the room then the hall then fading out to my bedroom and up on to my bed... on the brand new oak solid wood floor. Nice one kittie! hoefuly white spirit will do the job!

jenbird sorry you have had a bad day too. Nothing as strange as relatives! we have few crack pots in both sides. Been doing a big ignore for a while now but I can't see that lasting unfortunetly!

TheDetective Tue 20-Nov-12 23:30:54

mrswee Baby wipes - they will work!

mrswee Tue 20-Nov-12 23:35:01

Thanks detective baby wipes do work, I was using them the other day when I painted a door frame.. it makes you think! DH has used white spirit because the paint was drying.
The cat apears to have a slightly sore eye now, great probably rubbed paint in it! I feel a bit sorry for her but she's still a dick!

Detective How's it going?

WaitingForMe Tue 20-Nov-12 23:40:10

Hi, just checking in to say Toby was born at 12.15 this afternoon. Was a very long two days but worth every second. He's had a proper feed and sucks like a vampire! MW was a little taken aback by how hard he sucked on her finger. He's very mucusy though and can't settle on his back so I've got him asleep upright and will catch up on everyone else x

TheDetective Tue 20-Nov-12 23:48:51

Congratulations Waiting! Hard going for 2 days sad These babies, eh?! Love the name!

Fatima Same old shit, they have died off a bit, still coming, no idea how often as it isn't that often, maybe 1:10 or so?? I'm sat rocking my hips on the ball trying to grind my cervix off grin. Have you decided what you want from tomorrows appointment by the way? Remember my motto, you can always decline an offer of intervention if you do not want it. Listen to what is said - and ask for the research to back up their statements and watch the backtracking. If you want to go for IOL, go for it! It has to be right for you smile

mrswee I've had all manner of destruction caused by the little cat bastards in my life. Most notably was the day I bought this house - my first house owned by little old me. Drove them here in their cat carrier. The two little bastards had shit and pissed all over it in the 15 minute journey from the old house... it was basically one big pissy shit fest - think diahorrea. So I took the carrier to the bathroom, with the full intention of dunking them in the bath to get them clean. Obviously they had other ideas, escaping mine and ex's clutches, and shook themselves off, as cats do - wee soaked shit and all, all over the brand new, all white bathroom - white tiles, white walls, white suite. Oh, and me. Twaaaaaaaaaaaaaats.

Brockle Tue 20-Nov-12 23:57:11

Congrats waiting I thought you were keeping us in suspense! Currently rocking on the edge of the bed as feel really sick. Contractions tailed off to crappy little cramps but feel so yuck and restless I cannot lie down. Just want to sleep and wake up to some nice strong ones.

Get grinding on that ball detective !

Detective Well with the pains i've been getting i'm thinking it won't be too much longer anyway. I really want to go to the MLU so hoping it happens soon. I think i'm going to ask their reasons and then I'll agree to a sweep, i'll agree to monitoring if they want and i'll agree to revisit my decision at my 41 week MW appointment but at tomorrow's appointment I won't agree to IOL before 41 weeks without evidence from monitoring and I won't agree to the CLU before 41 weeks. I think smile
Come on babydetective crank open that cervix grin

Congratulations waiting thanks

MissMummy1 Wed 21-Nov-12 00:16:06

Congrats waiting - lovely name xx

WaitingForMe Wed 21-Nov-12 00:22:24

His proper name is Tobias Railton (middle name is a tradition for men in my family) but we'll call him Toby. I believe this is very much not the done thing according to certain Mumsnet factions.

A whole manner of things went wrong from my waters going and being a funny colour to needing to be induced, having an epidural but it going wrong and going from 5cm to fully dilated in 30 mins with just a bit of gas and air (but not much as it made me sick). Oh and I had pethidine three times and gave birth on my back using stirrups. Oh and some quality tearing. Did I miss anything? No ventouse or forceps but I think that was due to last minute speed hence tearing rather than episiotomy.

We also have to stay in hospital as Toby is on antibiotics due to length of time between waters going and birth but the BF support is amazing and I'm receiving aftercare so that's good.

Silver linings and all that wink

georgee Wed 21-Nov-12 00:58:30

Congratulations Waiting! Sounds like a marathon, well done indeed! Love the name Toby! Hope you get some sleep tonight.

TheDetective Wed 21-Nov-12 01:43:45

I think I have made the decision - IOL on Sunday if nothing happens before.

I need to have a cut off. I'll be 43+1, and that scares me. I'll be 42+5 by my own dates.

Now, to make that contingency plan I suppose sad

Feel utterly deflated. I have a feeling this baby is badly malpositioned - hence the tightening for weeks but labour never establishing, and my cervix remaining unchanged. I have tried to encourage him to turn. He turns, but he turns a lot - but never quite 'right'. I am unable to work out how much of his head is in the pelvis - it has proven impossible for me to palpate myself there.

I am going to go to the unit tomorrow, I want to be scanned - I want to know what position this baby is in, and where the cord is, and the condition of the placenta. I want to be palpated by an experienced midwife to know what she feels. I need to know what is going on. I don't want to see a friggin' Registrar though!!!

I am frightened that the length of time I have been tightening is going to weaken my scar when I do actually labour.

In my heart I think this will end with another section. And I am devastated.

There. I've given it my best shot. I'm twitched now. If I didn't have a scar on my uterus - I would not be doing the above. But I have, and I have to accept that I guess.

kirrinIsland Wed 21-Nov-12 02:03:41

Congratulations waiting love the name. hope you are both well. Sounds like a dramatic, if slow, labour but he is here now and you are both ok which is the main thing.

Wishing speedy arrivals to everyone else smile

Iheartpasties Wed 21-Nov-12 03:45:38

Hi,
Just caught up, you lot have been busy chatting in the last 24 hours so it took a while! Congrats to waiting I have been thinking about you and waiting to hear news. Does your DH have 3 boys now?! wow.

Good luck to everyone, and chin up detective no one ever said childbirth was easy did they? smile It's all worth it though, so good luck to you.

Brockle Wed 21-Nov-12 04:00:05

Its not your fault detective but at the end of it you are going to have a gorgeous baby boy. This time you know what you are going into which will make all the difference.

Love both names waiting and get as much support as you can for BFing whilst you are in there.

No sleep and poorly child next to me. Lots of fun!

Chunkychicken Wed 21-Nov-12 04:03:22

Waiting Congrats. Sorry to hear it was a bit of an ordeal though. And I think most people would accept an every day nn of Toby for Tobias, love it smile

pikz Wed 21-Nov-12 04:22:50

Congratulations waiting lovely name.

detective I think the scan is a good idea and then take it from there...

I can't sleep....feel sick and still having tightenings...no idea really what's going on...is probably nought...

Sounds an ordeal waiting but Toby will be we'll worth it.

Don't know if anyone will get chance to read this before I need to know but wanting to scan for opinions.
As you know I've got my consultant appointment this morning to discuss induction at term, which I'm going to refuse until at least 41weeks anyway. However, appointment is at 9:30am which means I have to take DH to work at 6:30am to enable me to have the car.
Things seem to be progressing here though, pains are getting stronger although not yet regular and I've just had a large bloody show. I know it could still be a bit yet but I'm due on Friday and feel it will be before then.

So what I'm thinking is, is there any point going to the consultant appointment? I don't think I'm going to need the induction. And if things carry on progressing now, I'll be stuck with the car and having to drive with contractions to pick DH up from work. Where as I could send DH to work while I wait for things to progress and call him when I need him.

WWYD? Sorry for the epic post

This thread is not accepting new messages.