Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - the thread where Detective's baby arrives

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 19-Nov-12 11:02:14
kalidasa Tue 27-Nov-12 11:49:05

passme yes I've heard that too but I thought it would still be more of a trickle rather than occasional little gushes. It's almost impossible for me to get out of the house alone due to the SPD so am reluctant to schlep to hospital/mw unnecessarily. But will keep an eye on the quantity. I really do think it's just extra discharge at the moment. Doesn't seem to smell sweet. DP will be working from home tomorrow so that would be a better day for getting checked if necessary.

Good luck georgee sounds promising!

georgee Tue 27-Nov-12 11:58:45

Good luck to you kali, hope it works nicely for your timetable. My pains are quite erratic (from every 10 mins to every 2, lasting about 30 secs) but MIL is here and I'm going to get DH to come home to take me to midwife because they're quite painful when they do happen. I wouldn't want to be driving and trying to breathe through them. He works an hour away and the hospital is 30 mins if we drive fast so we do need to be all geared up, just in case. Luckily he has an understanding boss if it's a false alarm!

I can completely see what people mean with the head blocking further gushes. The head does feel low today so we'll see what happens.

Must force myself to be a bit more active - it hurts when I am but I'm sure it will help get things going!

Lane81 Tue 27-Nov-12 12:33:54

It was my first, but actually it was fine and just had to get on with it and didn't have to spend ages in hospital getting scared/worried iyswim. I didn't realise I was in full blown labour till got to hospital and they said I was fully dilated and head was showing, 15 mins later she was born. Fingers crossed for you and hope everything goes smoothly if this is it!

mrswee Tue 27-Nov-12 13:12:20

georgee good luck, sounds very promising! Specially with it being your second... Hope you don't have your baby at the surgery!!!

mrswee Tue 27-Nov-12 13:28:59

Just noticed after wearing it for hours that DD has stuck a whale sticker on me! Do you think she's trying to tell me something? blush

ShellyBobbs Tue 27-Nov-12 13:33:05

Lol, not unless she's calling you Shamu aswell grin

Dixiebell Tue 27-Nov-12 14:01:07

So I'm celebrating my EDD by having to collect DS early from the childminder's with potential conjunctivitis and take him to docs to be checked out. If it is, he won't be allowed to go tomorrow either. Argh! So much for my 3 days of rest. Good thing I'm not having my sweep today any more - it got postponed until Friday.

mrswee Tue 27-Nov-12 14:04:36

that's a bit rubbish dixie hope it's not conjunctivitis or it's the type that just comes with a cold and isn't catching.
Your sweep will probably be more useful on friday anyway... I think mine was basically pointless yesterday.

MissMummy1 Tue 27-Nov-12 15:29:05

Good luck georgee if things are kicking off!

My midwife appointment was a complete waste of time. I was in tears by the time I'd walked from my mums car to the surgery (all of 20 steps) and she pretty much just said to man up labour will be a lot worse (in not so many words). I asked her to do a sweep or at least examine me and she said no because it's still 2 days before I'm due. Cue more tears sad . On the plus side baby seems to be nice and healthy and has been moving lots more today!

Hope your ds is feeling better soon dixie

Dixiebell Tue 27-Nov-12 15:54:01

That's rubbish mm, the least they can do is be a bit sympathetic! Would gp be better?

A few hours of Peppa Pig are in order for us methinks.

MissMummy1 Tue 27-Nov-12 16:11:03

2 weeks minimum for an appointment with gp here sad

Will keep going with paracetamol. If all else fails I'll present myself at A&E...

horseylady Tue 27-Nov-12 17:07:14

Mm can you try to see a Physio? They can probably help if it's a spasming nerve or muscle or even spd. I would try a walk in centre or a&e if the pain is as bad as you say it is. You need to be rested for labour!!

My mw also wouldnt do a sweep until 41 weeks (he came at 39 though!!)

mrswee Tue 27-Nov-12 17:12:15

mm you can take paracetomol and codiene which you can buy over the counter. Just don't atke it more than 3 days at a time without medical advise. I was given it by the hospital in a much stronger dose than you can buy over the counter and it is fine for the baby and you in the short term, just not longer not because it does physical harm but because it is addictive!

I am really sorry you have a crap midwife and surgery. Why did they bother booking you in for you '40 week' appointment 2 days early if they can't do anything for you. How does she know how much pain you are in and if labour is worse than that? she isnt you and she should know that you what you need right now is to be calm and rexlaxed and get rest not tense and in pain unable to sleep.
Please consider seeing the hospital maternity/woman's physio or an ostepath or a good pregnancy massage person if you can't get any other help

Clarella Tue 27-Nov-12 18:38:52

Hi just bobbing on - thats really rubbish mm - im quite shocked at that attitude, and not v helpful.
Wow georgee think youre my sweep mate, came to see how things going but looks like theyre going! All the best!

I discussed the ins and outs of the sweep today (40+1) after this horrid puking bug all weekend expecting to be encuraged to be braver but the mw discouraged me as my tummy still sore, major bhs and only started weeing again this morning (since sat morn), and that had made me feel so much better. However been blown up like a balloon all day with bhs on top so either somthing starting again or uterus reclaiming lost fluids! She said (whennshe got a feel between bhs) he was 2/5 or even 1/5 she thought - does feel like theres scrabbling at the door! Offered a sweep tomorrow which i think ill try and take, eating almost normally today and tummy not so sore now.

I feel like a cat on hot bricks, cant settle unless cringing at desperate hw of ny whilst bobbing on ball, which is getting fraught, need a better box set is that normal?!

Dixiebell Tue 27-Nov-12 19:41:14

Doc prescribed eye drops for DS, and 24 hours away from childminder. Argh. So now have him to entertain tomorrow with the added bonus of not being able to go to any playgroups/friends houses in case we pass it on. Just what I need at 40+1! Of course if I go into labour overnight, nana will just have to step in, perhaps tgat's my best strategy...?! Although new baby + toddler with eye infection prob not the best combo...

Brockle Tue 27-Nov-12 20:12:33

What an awful thing to say to you MM. Get some paracetamol and codeine and ignore the MW.

No word from jen ?

MissMummy1 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:27:02

I'm going to keep up the paracetamol for 3 days and see if it builds up and makes a difference. I've never been overly impressed with that mw but she really upset me today. Granted I was being oversensitive. Slipping a leaflet into my notes about antenatal depression didn't impress me either. I'm not depressed, I'm just sore. And grumpy. And wanting my baby today!

One of the ladies from my antenatal group had her baby this morning. She was due the same day as me and has called her little girl after me! Okay, not AFTER me, but she's given her the same name as me grin.

Apparently the earliest they'll do a sweep is Monday. And I have to go to hospital for it. Ffs!!!

Just back from the labour ward after getting my swollen ankles looked at. Everything is fine and I'm 2cm with a favourable cervix. MW gave me a sweep as I missed my appt yesterday and she could feel baby's head which has got me really excited again. After almost 48 hrs of erratic contractions is good to know things are heading in the right direction!

MM I would echo those who've suggested A&E!

jenbird Tue 27-Nov-12 21:15:18

Hi all
Just to update you. Eira Isabella Anne born this moring at 06 25 weighing 8lb 12 oz. Pretty speedy birth. Very tired now and looking forward to a good nights sleep (ha).
Will post more a bit later but thanks for all you're support x

MissMummy1 Tue 27-Nov-12 21:24:41

Congrats jen! Lovely name, my friend has a beautiful daughter called Eira. Can't wait to see a photo! Enjoy your sleep... wink

congratulations jen!!! lovely name x

mrswee Tue 27-Nov-12 22:15:03

Congratulations jen that's another off the list!
georgee is quiet this evening... Hmm

No signs here.. It is only my due date and I promised myself u wouldn't focus in it but its hard because most of the November ladies have graduated and I also really don't want a repeat of the last time!

mm I'm still shocked at the difference in care between here in Edinburgh and a short trip over the water.. Does your doctor not do phone appointments for urgent problems? Thinking of you!

MissMummy1 Tue 27-Nov-12 23:00:51

It really is abysmal mrswee. Thank you for thinking of me! Annoying thing is edinburgh practices in sqf are actually closer to me than mine. Grr. Musn't grumble, up until now the nhs has never let me down and bar this one particular midwife when you eventually do get an appointment or need treatment the care has always been first class. And for now at least it is free.

My due date's thursday. I imagine i'll be feeling the same as you. Everyone i know due on or around the same day as me has had their baby envy. The daily phonecalls and messages are becomming almost unbearable - at least mil took the hint and has stopped annoying me! poor dh now gets it...

georgee is very very quiet... hmm

TheDetective Wed 28-Nov-12 00:17:50

Just think, you can't be as over due as I decided to be... lol! Silver linings wink

MM I am worried about your back. That amount of pain isn't normal. For it to not be getting better. Please go and see your GP! And take some analgesia!!!!!

Congratulations Jenbird! Hope you get that sleep... send some my way please!

StuntNun Wed 28-Nov-12 01:15:21

Congratulations Jen I hope you and your baby get a good sleep.

This thread is not accepting new messages.