Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - the thread where Detective's baby arrives

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 19-Nov-12 11:02:14
newbiebaby Tue 20-Nov-12 15:21:57

That's right detective , keeping everything crossed this thread is it! (apart from my legs grin)

TheDetective Tue 20-Nov-12 15:24:25

I have my legs firmly open grin. Down side is - lots of farting!!

Lilliana Tue 20-Nov-12 15:25:55

Marking my place, be back later

Marking my place too, 40 + 1 now and no sign of anything happening, but I feel that none of us have any right to give birth until Detective finally pops!

Interesting reading on sphincter law too, thanks Detective. Made me think about a couple of things in my birth plan differently.

georgee Tue 20-Nov-12 15:38:42

Thanks v much for the advice detective (about chicken pox, early thread jumpers!). Have contacted doc's and they're going to check my blood for immunity. If I am immune apparently I'll pass some of that on to the baby. Does mean that DD can't visit me in the hozza just in case she develops it the next day or something, which is completely fair enough.

The little boy saw DD on Saturday and was diagnosed today. But I remember thinking I saw some faint spots on his face on Saturday! Gah! There were only about three of them so I didn't really think much about it.

Anyway, nothing we can do about it now. In contrast to everyone else I'm going to now be crossing my legs - best place for the baby is inside me at the moment I think. Will report back how this works as a 'bringing labour on' tactic!

georgee Tue 20-Nov-12 15:45:38

Oh and mrswee, sorry about your rubbish day. You need to do whatever you can to get to the end of it - chocolate, trashy TV, etc - and hope for a better today tomorrow. Hope you give DH a piece of your mind when you see him! And some people are just shocking aren't they - swearing in front of kids, horrible. Well, they'll get their just desserts one day with that attitude!

TheDetective Tue 20-Nov-12 15:51:56

All advice is - if you have been in contact with CP not to go in to hospital - not such an issue for you, you've had it, and more than likely immune, but I'd advise for your DD not to go in til the incubation period is over.

Ooooh new thread!
Can I have my baby on this one as well please?

Been doing some cleaning, stripped and made the be, ironed etc. Hoped it might bring on some stronger contractions but no such luck. Looks like i'm in for the long haul.

I also spent 30 minutes straightening my hair, no idea why as i'm lounging round the house. It feels nice and soft now though grin I might see if DH wants to treat me to a trip to Morrison's down the road, or maybe we could go to the curry house round the corner for tea or it is two for tuesday!

MissMummy1 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:10:22

Nope no better detective. If anything much worse sad - flares up something rotten when I try and walk (cue freaked out stares from people in tescos grin ). I'm still not convinced it's early labour, although dp is so I've spent the day hiding at my mums using her orthopaedic cripple chair.

Would LOVE to book a massage (and a hair cut and get my nails done) but HMRC have well and truely fucked up my MA - not crying or ranting or filling this thread up with it - but I'm now working on the assumption I will get nothing and being super frugal. Why could I afford these luxuries on a monthly basis (along with copious nights/meals out) when I was a student and now I'm working, some weeks it's a toss up between filling the car or the fridge?! I also hate hate hate being reliant on DP for everything right now sad.

Mrswee those people sound awful. I do hope karma catches them up. Lowlifes. I can relate to the bin thing, I now ask dp a week before they're due out in the hope he might put them out. usually involves a teary hissy fit from me the morning they need collected blush

Georgee fc you and your dd are fine. My friend's dd was exposed to it right before she was due to fly up to orkney to visit yw and the beautiful wee Jonas and she managed to book her in for an immunisation against it in Edinburgh. That was the same day as exposure though so you might be a bit late.

MissMummy1 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:13:47

Oh and I've given up on housework and left very VERY detailed instructions for him indoors. I got halfway through emptying the top shelf of the dishwasher this morning and had to give up blush sad .

I'm undecided on whether yoga's a good idea tonight or not. I'm not even sure I can drive right now hmm ...

TheDetective Tue 20-Nov-12 16:19:57

Rant away MM. Have you thought about posting a thread for advice about it? What is the issue they have?? Re: back ache, muchos sympathy - I'm glad I don't have that to contend with too at the moment!

BTW, I have now been tightening for 72 hours. A few hours off for good behaviour, but still, just do something or FUCK OFF!! ARGHHHH. I am sick of hearing 'any niggles'. Yes. Shit loads. But niggles is all it is, uncomfortable at best, but not enough for me to not be able to do things while having them. I can sleep through them, but they are still there when I wake. They are back to 1:3 at the moment. Joy oh joy.

Please just get on with it now... please?

By the way, we think we now have a name for him! Elijah Jacob seems to be the final decision. DS is Ethan Rhys. Ethan and Elijah? Does this go? Not religious in the slightest, but this seems to be my preferred kind of name!

TheDetective Tue 20-Nov-12 16:23:55

I've got link for something on rates of IOL and 'risks' of post date pregnancies for anyone who wants it. I found it in my search last night.

I may have to print it, and have put it in an envelope and post it to the Registrar from Sunday- since I know her name... Or maybe I'll just print it out and take it with me if I go tomorrow. grin

Linky

TheDetective Tue 20-Nov-12 16:26:28

And now DP texts me saying he feels sick too... Fucking hell! So it will be down to me to look after them both tonight then... ace!

MissMummy1 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:31:48

Lovely names detective - I think they go beautifully!

We finally agreed on a boy and girl name on Sunday but I'm sworn to secrecy grin and I'll most likely change my mind.

Basically when I registered as SE I was told by 3 different people at HMRC to apply for a small earnings certificate and then cancel when my earnings go over the threshold. Which I have done. I also made voluntary NI contributions all the way along, however the MA people don't take this into consideration and because I haven't had a period of 13 weeks without the certificate (3 fucking weeks short) they have capped my MA at £27 a week (instead of the £135 it should be). So despite paying NI I am losing about 4k over my maternity leave. FUCK!!! The bit that pisses me off most is I would be a lot better off had I not worked my whole pregnancy. That 4k would help a lot if/when I go back to do a post grad next September.

It's fine, I cried a lot yesterday. It's only money, and we've survived on a lot lot less. DP has permanent work, before this year he would have had nothing from October to March as most boat work is seasonal. Small miracles and all...

YellowWellies Tue 20-Nov-12 16:39:48

I hope this is the thread where EVERYBODYS babies arrive. Good luck ladies. Oh no Detective why are blokes so unstoic when ill. In our post labour world - Jonas has his first cold and is firing snot missiles at me and being a total clingy limpet. He clearly has manflu. I have achieved NOTHING today other than putting a load of washing in the machine - I've not even managed to switch the wash on. Worse, I've only managed one cuppa.

YellowWellies Tue 20-Nov-12 16:42:24

Oh shit MM cross post. HMRC is staffed by absolute weapons who seem to be in post to be entirely evasive and avoid any attempt at claiming any legitimate benefits / and or pay any tax. Totally useless. I've had three different versions of what to do to claim MA from them - and am still waiting for my 6 monthly NI bill so I can actually try to claim using one of the three convoluted routes explained to me. I'm not convinced I'll get a penny either hon. Proof, if further proof were needed, that life isn't fair and work doesn't pay.

Clarella Tue 20-Nov-12 16:43:32

Hi peeps checking in and in anticipation of detectivelet's arrival! Thanks so much for the sphincter law, I'd wondered if bridemaids would be a bit much in actual labour (considering I thought I'd done damage the other day) but maybe it's just the thing!

I've missed a lot as been stupidly busy and shhh there was an exciting arrival and possible other labour action on the Nov thread distracting me, the thread whore I am - sorry detective!

Funnily enough it all started after this was posted - worth a try ladies?!

Clarella Tue 20-Nov-12 16:50:33

Oh x post too sorry MM. YW and MM that is total crap and the govt wonders why theres so few women working at the top, working generally, running businesses etc etc to the point that they've had to commission research - u can post experiences like that on woman hour website I think at mo for this governmental research thingy. If you can be arsed / have the ttime/ inclination whilst dealing with childbirth, children, husbands who can't put recycling out etc etc hmm

Sorry minor feminist rant grin

Elijah is lovely detective My friend wants me to use it, but it's the name of her puppy, I keep telling her i'm not naming my child after your dog grin

Might have a gander at that study, looks like i'm going to have to arm myself for tomorrows meeting with the consultant. Need to decide what I will and won't agree to

MissMummy1 Tue 20-Nov-12 17:47:09

Fatima my dad stole our only girls' name for his puppy in July!

MissMummy1 Tue 20-Nov-12 17:59:22

Thanks yw and clarella - the whole system is so flawed. If neither of us worked we'd have our rent, council tax, everything paid for and still have more disposable income than we do now. It's ridiculous. The only comfort I can take from it is everything we own and have we have worked for and paid for ourselves. We're not waiting for anyone to take it all away from us! (although I do feel very hard done by with my MA...)

kissyfur Tue 20-Nov-12 18:01:33

Just checking in with you ladies, sounds like things could be happening for you detective wishing you all the best! missmummy hope your back pain goes or it turns into labour!

mrswee I can't believe how rude those people were to you and your DD! Honestly what is the world coming to, there are some terrible excuses for human beings out there

Clarella Tue 20-Nov-12 18:39:58

Oh yes ditto kissy, mrswee that's really terrible. I teach in an mld sen school and some children talk like that simply as it's always what they hear at home (well, there were kids in mainstream too but they got the social understanding to know not to pretty early on, 70% of our pupils on autistic spectrum). Worst was a father who actively taught his autistic son to use language and be racist as he found it amusing. Made for some interesting phone calls.

Sorry - minor social rant - am rather ranty today - pre labour or due to bodge it and scarper builders in tomorrow?!

ShellyBobbs Tue 20-Nov-12 18:45:46

Detective That link makes interesting reading and fully supports your argument.

MissMummy1 Tue 20-Nov-12 19:45:42

Who mentioned dominoes? You had us craving one, remembered how sick I was last time and every night since so we're having chinese tonight instead! Pushed the boat out and ordered banana fritters too to keep preggers happy grin Blissfully ignoring the fact I'll regret this come 2am...

This is in celebration of the fact our gas and leccy bill dropped £300 from the estimate when the man came out to read the meter. Happy days!

This thread is not accepting new messages.