Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - the thread where Detective's baby arrives

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 19-Nov-12 11:02:14
StuntNun Fri 23-Nov-12 12:26:20

Get whatever pain relief you need Fatima. I had an epidural with DS1 but with DS2 I decided to man up and had gas and air and pethidine. But I found that the pain was just over what I could bear. Almost the first words out of my mouth after DS2 was born were, Next time I'm going to have an epidural. Every birth is different so decide on your pain relief by how well you're coping and definitely not by some ideal of what you think you should have. Don't be afraid to ask the midwife's opinion as she will be able to make an objective judgement based on how much pain you appear to be in and on how far you have to go.

Sophiathesnowfairy Fri 23-Nov-12 12:33:41

Yep... Actually I asked for one when I got to the hosp this time but was already 10 CMs so not allowed. Gutted!

mrswee Fri 23-Nov-12 12:49:27

fatima you do what you need to do. I had and epidural with DD (after two lots of morphone over the period of 14 hours) I wasn't going to have any meds but my pre labour/latent had gone on for so long that I was starting to feel like I couldn't take it anymore. I like to think I could have managed if the baby had been born with in the first few days of contractions but I needed a rest from pain so I could concentrate on the job and not feel so knackard. it's not about being a let down it's about surviving the situation and being able to relax into it! good luck!

brockle oh my! well done!

pikz Fri 23-Nov-12 13:27:02

Had a sweep with consultant... Entire plug fell out and they felt feet!! Baby is breech and I'm not allowed to leave hospital as they think I will give birth soon. Waiting to see if he can be turned at 2pm but is very unlikely as already overdue so will behaving a c section tonight. Not exactly what I had planned!!

YellowWellies Fri 23-Nov-12 13:33:13

Oh pikz good luck! Feeling feet OMG shock. These babies like to keep us on our toes! Wow you get to meet your wee one today - that's amazing. Our wee man is exactly one month old today and has moved from the 25th centile to the 75th and is a whopping 8lb 6oz (having been only 6lb 3oz). I can't believe how quick the time has gone. Enjoy your newborn snuggles.

georgee Fri 23-Nov-12 13:37:29

Good luck pikz - good job they discovered that! That and probable size of baby means C-Section is an excellent idea. Sorry it's not what you planned but if it's an elective, which is what this would be, the recovery is nice and quick I hear. Thinking of you. x

Fatima you have to take whatever gets you through. I had an epidural after many hours of pain and loved it. I became myself again after having been delirious with it all. It's standard issue in places like France I believe. Take care. x

StuntNun Fri 23-Nov-12 13:38:39

Exciting news Pikz. How come they didn't know baby was breech? Good luck for today.

pikz Fri 23-Nov-12 13:41:16

Thank you everyone. Even consultant said he feels like he's head down from outside and it wasn't til she did the sweep and then backed up her thoughts with a scan that they realised. Means that about 5 different midwives all thought he was head down.

MissMummy1 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:46:35

Oh heck pikz good luck!! 3 different midwives all thought my baby was breech, then my normal midwife returned from her holiday and decided at 37 weeks that he/she is 'most likely' head down. Refused to do a scan to back this up as she's 'usually right'. hmm Makes you wonder though! (Although the kicks in my ribs are reassuring that she might be right).

Had a lovely morning with my mum. I felt so useless while she whirled round my house emptying the dishwasher and putting washing away etc blush. I now have daytime tv to keep me company until dp gets home about 8ish. Hurry up baby, I'm losing braincells as I type!!!

Sophiathesnowfairy Fri 23-Nov-12 13:49:07

Gosh pikz that could have been scary. Good job they spotted it. Hope all goes well for you and you enjoy the service I did.

Xx

YellowWellies Fri 23-Nov-12 15:57:02

It's quiet on here - you're not all in labour are you? hmm

MissMummy1 Fri 23-Nov-12 15:59:47

Wishful thinking yw ....

StuntNun Fri 23-Nov-12 16:02:51

I'm not YW!

YellowWellies Fri 23-Nov-12 16:08:54

Booo....

Are we going to have a sweep stake / prize for the last 'November' baby to be born?

I reckon we ought to celebrate the tardiest bellydweller and reward their patient Mamma.

ToManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Fri 23-Nov-12 16:18:58

I'm not in labour sad

ToManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Fri 23-Nov-12 16:19:30

I bet I win last to be born as well!

MissMummy1 Fri 23-Nov-12 16:38:00

I think detective deserves an award for the sheer bloody mindedness of her baby! And her fantastic ability to fight her corner!

Mine is going to be a December one, I just know it... sad

ShellyBobbs Fri 23-Nov-12 16:52:02

It is quiet on here.............

Lilliana Fri 23-Nov-12 16:55:43

I'm busy bouncing on my ball and drinking raspberry leaf tea. Not a contraction in sight

georgee Fri 23-Nov-12 17:02:09

Great idea YW, we should definitely make some sort of fuss of the last lady on the thread. Although I agree that detective should win an award - she'll probably be the lady to go most overdue of all of us. Unless someone else wants to try and break her record?! (It won't be me!!) No-one else has got past 42 + 5 have they?

All well here except I have a big cough. I keep thinking hopefully that my waters have gone but I think actually the coughing is making me wee myself a bit ... blush

No labour here either. Any sign of detective anywhere?

Only just found time to come back on and have a look since Zara arrived. Havent read through the pages to catch up yet...Has detective popped out babydetective yet?!

How is everyone else doing??

Chunkychicken Fri 23-Nov-12 18:19:59

Good luck pikz

TheDetective Fri 23-Nov-12 19:25:09

BabyDetective is finally here! Trying to post but he is crying again. BRB!!

kissyfur Fri 23-Nov-12 19:27:14

Yayyyyyyy! Congrats detective grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.