Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013 - we've seen our babies and our trousers are tighter as we enter the second trimester!

(996 Posts)
SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:42

Shiny new thread. Come and grab a brew and a biscuit.

scooby26 Sun 06-Jan-13 19:18:28
scooby26 Sun 06-Jan-13 18:56:11

New thread- took the liberty before we ran out! Hope it works!

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1652753-May-2013-boys-girls-or-the-unknown-Over-half-way-there

lollypopsicle Sun 06-Jan-13 18:41:44

artigene I meant to add that I think it's a great idea to go on holiday but I don't think I'd be happy being 4 hrs away from a hospital.
I'd say Sharm would be ok as a choice, though. It really is very touristy and I didn't think the food poisoning risk seemed any greater than anywhere else, really. However it is very scuba orientated and I can imagine it will be annoying to miss out on that! And it was also very hot!

lollypopsicle Sun 06-Jan-13 18:34:57

I'm back tomorrow bunny and feel the very same hmm

panda I totally agree about the scratch mits, I used them for about 2 days then never bothered again. Some of the items on that list are quite tailored to that particular friend's needs really.
I will use socks tho as I worry about cold feet, even in summer. Think little shorts/dresses/ shortie babygrows look quite cute with a little pair of socks grin. Booties and shoes however, really are useless at that age!

Bunnychan Sun 06-Jan-13 17:44:36

Oh my god; back to work tomorrow after the Christmas holidays and I'm dreading it! I can't focus on my planning and I'm usually really career focused but everytime I feel a kick, I get distracted :-s how am I going to teach 30 kids? X

10storeylovesong Sun 06-Jan-13 17:12:28

Scooby I can't believe you're still working those hours. Nights are hard enough at the best of times. Have they done a recent risk assessment on you? I'm lucky in that I was put into an office where I'm surplus to requirements which makes it easier to change or reduce my shifts. It would have been a lot harder if I'd been put elsewhere. If I were you though I would definitely be pushing to stop night shifts.

PandaOnAPushBike Sun 06-Jan-13 16:45:10

* THIS time round

PandaOnAPushBike Sun 06-Jan-13 16:44:39

lollypopsicle I think I have pretty much everything on your before list <pats self on back> although I'm using the carrycot for sleeping and won't be buying socks or scratch mitts as I think they are the most useless items ever invented. Extremely cute, but useless. With my daughter I spent most of my day putting the blooming things back on. They time round baby will only be wearing stuff with them built in.

GeordieCherry Sun 06-Jan-13 16:43:40

We get to see our baby tomorrow smile

Looking forward to getting an updated picture. The one we had at 12 weeks is defo out of date for the active wriggler making its presence felt!

Hope everyone's ok x

CluelessNewbie1 Sun 06-Jan-13 16:31:33

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum malarky! I'm due on 29th May with my first baby, enjoying reading everyone's advice on here... even if it does make me slightly panicky!

lollypopsicle Sun 06-Jan-13 15:35:44

Hello ladies, I dug out the list I sent my friend (who planned to breastfeed hence the assumption throughout list) before she had her baby last year so here it is if you're interested...

Right, this is what I would suggest you get before the baby is born and then I have tried to think of what I would buy at other times. This is however, just my opinion!

Before:

crib or moses basket
Baby monitor with movement pad
blankets (but not too many as people will buy you them!)
bottom sheet for moses basket
lots of basic vests in 0-3, some in newborn
basic babygrows. Even DS, who started off big, fitted newborn for a good 8 weeks.
newborn socks
PAMPERS newborn nappies.
huggies pure baby wipes
a lightweight hat for in hospital
scratch mits (but again, people will buy them and you'll end up with loads you don't even use)
a bath or a chair thing that fits into your bath.
DON'T BOTHER TO BUY BABY TOWELS. THEY'RE TOO SMALL- UNLESS YOU CAN FIND ONES WITH A HOOD THAT ARE NICE AND BIG.
a baby gym/activity mat for tummy time
pram (obvs!)
car seat (also obvs!)
bouncy chair
a bottle or 2 just in case and a sterilizer (you won't use it much when bf though, I would go for a microwave one that can be easily stored away)
muslin cloths
changing/ nappy bag (it will become your only bag for a while!)

Just after birth:
breast pump (no point in getting it if you don't end up breast feeding, very difficult to sell on due to hygiene reasons)
milk storage bags
dummies, if you need them
billions more nappies and baby wipes ;)

about 3-5 months

bumbo
cot (although there's no harm in buing before the baby is born)

5-6 months
high chair
weaning stuff
beakers
tonnes of little pots.

20+3

PandaOnAPushBike Sun 06-Jan-13 14:53:19

berri, I keep having OMG I'm pregnant moments ... and then it fades back into unreality. grin

Ugh I'm ill again with a stinking cold.Feeling super sorry for myself.

21+3

berri Sun 06-Jan-13 14:22:47

scooby that sounds terrible shock there's no way I could work those kind of hours!! Take care of yourself and switch shifts if you feel like it - bugger what your work think! All will be forgotten in a few months time.

10 hope you're feeling ok today.

23+3 ..... panda it's feeling more real isn't it grin eeeeeek!

TheSecretCervixDNCOP Sun 06-Jan-13 12:53:53

I forgot to add that as well, I am 22+3

PandaOnAPushBike Sun 06-Jan-13 12:35:08

Oops forgot: 23+5

OMG 23+5!!!!!!!

PandaOnAPushBike Sun 06-Jan-13 12:34:10

Hiya everyone. FlaminNora here, just checking in after the Christmas chaos. BabyPanda is dancing and jumping up and down all the time now. I feel like I'm carrying a bag of frogs rather than a baby. How are you all doing? Recovered from Christmas yet?

TheSecretCervixDNCOP Sun 06-Jan-13 12:10:05

Hi all haven't been around for a while. This thread is nearly full! Am due to go for a growth scan on Tuesday (was supposed to be last Thursday but had to rearrange)

Feeling lots of kicks and has thumped Daddy a few times but most of the time as soon as his hand touches my belly he stops completely until he moves his hand away!

Anyway will try to keep in touch with you all a bit more. Hope everyones pregnancies are progressing nicely. smile

beaver33 Sun 06-Jan-13 11:50:12

Ah, was thinking of you 10. Such a difficult time for you but glad to hear your optimism. Remember there's nothing more important than your health, and the health of your little bub, at the moment. Take it easy xx

Chottie Sun 06-Jan-13 11:22:46

10 - your work sound very understanding. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow.

scooby26 Sat 05-Jan-13 22:15:47

10- pleased to hear your bosses are better than mine- ( recall we do same thing ;-). ) I'm still on full nights avert ten days and they are avoiding any discussion! I plan to take the next two off next week( had taken off anyway to move house but prob delayed ) and then I'm gettinga fit note! Gp indicated at booking in appt that if work arsey she would happily wrote me off nights.... My place will only alter shifts medical advice not niceness! It's. Killing me staying awake 22 hrs from getting up on the day of my first night with DS and staying up til next day 8am! It can't be gods for me!

10storeylovesong Sat 05-Jan-13 21:34:02

Work have already changed my hours after all the sickness, so I'm working 8-3 or 11-6 anyway to miss the traffic. They did say there would be an option to reduce my hours as the pregnancy progresses anyway, so I'm hoping that they may just move it forward slightly now.

10So good to hear from you.What a shitty consultant.Hope you are healed up soon and getting plenty of rest.

berri Sat 05-Jan-13 19:50:40

I've been having BH for a while now - doc said you only need to worry if you have more than 4 in an hr, or if they're combined with any other funny symptoms!

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 05-Jan-13 19:26:47

BH are like your tummy going hard and feeling very tight. It can take your breath away, I nearly had to stop crossing the road today. Not advisable in central London!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now