Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013 - we've seen our babies and our trousers are tighter as we enter the second trimester!

(996 Posts)
SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:42

Shiny new thread. Come and grab a brew and a biscuit.

jenpenod Tue 27-Nov-12 17:43:30

Picklep - I know I'm O Negative but didn't realise that it impacted pregnancy in any way. Must make sure to ask the midwife about it next week but if you find out anything else in the meantime, please let me know!

beautician have you asked the cm what she is doing to try and stop the situation occurring? Hitting is usually a response to a trigger, (and a form of communication when all other forms have broken down), I would be questioning the CMs level of supervision.

Picklep Tue 27-Nov-12 18:00:44

jenpod I had no idea there would be any issue with pregnancy and different blood groups either. It used to mean problems but now this injection we will get means no issues. The concern is that if your blood mixed with babys, your body would see it as a foreign body and release antibodies which could harm the baby. But from what I understand its rare that your blood would mix anyway, unless you had an accident or during labour. But having the injection eliminates any risk if that were to happen.

Our blood unlike rhesus positive lacks the antigen-D, so when our body comes into contact with it, it doesn't recognise it so reacts to get rid with the antibodies. The injection as I understand basically tells our body not to react to antigen-D.

Let me know if you find out anymore too. We are quite rare, only 1 in 5 people are rhesus neg!

mwnc I can't get enough of Christmas sandwichs turkey,stuffing and they have to have a bit of cranberry sauce in as well.Still have a sweet tooth so I've started excercising again.

Frustrated DP is speaking to him tonight. I am seeing his school teacher tomorrow.I can control his behaviour at home but unfortunately not at school and at the childminders. I think a lot of it is change ie the baby, Christmas and his birthday (Christmas eve).

My Next jeans are so comfy wow definitely Going to be getting all my jeans from there.Usually hate there jeans but these are lovely.They are the slim leg ones and have an adjustable band so pretty sure will last me.I just ordered my regular size grin

scooby26 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:42:45

Picklep- thanks for reminder about seraphine- just bought some bootcut jeans for 19 pounds! Only had size 14 left but that'll do me ;-)

wilderumpus Tue 27-Nov-12 18:53:11

sorry to hear about your DS beaut sad I would also be concerned about the cm's level of attention/awareness of my child if my DS was hitting there tbh; I hope he is ok.

next jeans hey? I might go there then! my new look ones look lovely and fit wonderfully but if I am sitting all day they really dig in to my stomach - how they might fit anyone near-term I just do not know.

will look up seraphine too, thanks pickle!

mwnc my cravings have settled so I guess I just don't swing as badly (or excitedly!) as in the early days smile I love skips crisps, mini chedders, tom kha gai soup (adore this soup, DH is sick to death of me wanting to have thai takeaway), and am also really into xmas sarnies! Never ever eat them in normal life, in fact I actively dislike them! Oh and roast dinner food - anything with roasties, loads of veg and tonnes of gravy. OMG. Otherwise am pretty normal and generally eating quite well. Not put on any weight yet which is odd but expect to pile it on now am virtually sitting all day long.

pickle my ma has this issue and had to be induced with my brother because of it. This was in the really olde days tho when it seems they didn't know much about it and was quite frightening for her; is so brill you won't have the complications she did.

jenpenod Tue 27-Nov-12 19:26:01

pickle the thought of our bodies attacking the babies is a bit scary but from what you've said, it sounds like modern medicine has it all under control! thanks for the info - at least i'm prepped in advance of my first (community) midwife appointment next week. will let you know if i found out anything else from her....

Picklep Tue 27-Nov-12 20:26:00

jenpen just read that Rhesus neg people tend to have large heads and have difficulty finding hats apparently! Really made me laugh as it's true in my case. :-)

scooby you're welcome - enjoy your new bargainous jeans!

wilde thank god! Your poor mum though. Didn't they have it hard in the old days??? I wonder if they'll think that about us in years to come?? Wonder what advancements there will be!

wilderumpus Tue 27-Nov-12 20:44:07

pickle I have no idea. She was quite shy so maybe she never went to appts or something but she always told the story like it was a suprise emergency issue and he had to be got out asap. Was only with my bro - his blood type didn't work with hers - but me and my sis were fine.

lol at your big heads smile Mine is teeny, I can wear my 2 year old's hat hmm

Old days indeed, is marvellous they know about you and jenand can deal with it easily smile.

tasmaniandevilchaser Tue 27-Nov-12 21:04:11

He he about large heads and rhesus neg - I'm rhesus neg and have the tiniest head! I also wore a random hat I found around the house before I realised my DM had bought it for DD! If I remember rightly you have the 1st anti d injection (in your bum, v undignified!) at 26 wks. I didn't realise only 1 in 5 had rhesus neg blood.

tasmaniandevilchaser Tue 27-Nov-12 21:07:31

Oh and cravings - balsamic vinegar and lime pickle. My stomach is feeling the acidity!

Picklep Tue 27-Nov-12 21:18:22

tas you're in the club too! Although your tiny head has blown the big head theory out the window! It is funny reading some of the 'traits' of rhesus negative people online, one said 'Rhesus neg people are more likely to be abducted by aliens' on account of the majority of alien abductions are reported by rhesus neg people. Lets just hope we have our babies first hey girls?? Alien abduction now would be most inconvenient.

tasmaniandevilchaser Tue 27-Nov-12 21:29:52

Abducted by aliens! Pmsl! That would be inconvenient

Reenypip Tue 27-Nov-12 21:44:09

Hiya! My first time posting in this topic. I'm due on may the 15th with my second child. I have already been told ill be having an elective c section about a week before (due to many health problems) I'm nervous because of the life threatening problems I had during my c section with my 1st.
My 20 week scan is 2 days after Christmas.

mwncigirl Tue 27-Nov-12 22:04:33

Mmmm chocolate. Mind you, that's not just a pregnancy craving wink

mwncigirl Tue 27-Nov-12 22:05:14

Oh and butternut and coriander soup. Yum.

tasmaniandevilchaser Tue 27-Nov-12 22:06:20

Hi reeny, welcome! Sorry to hear about your health problems, I know pg can be a scary time and once you've had a bad experience, it's never the same sad
Hope that your consultant is keeping a good eye on you and that it all goes smoothly. And feel free to off load here.

I've just bought my first item of maternity clothes! It's a big step for me, I might just be starting to engage mentally with the bump, now at 17 wks. I thought that once they established it wasn't another ectopic and I got through the 12 wk scan without the baby dying, then everything would be ok. In reality as time goes on, I just have been feeling there's more to lose. Anyway, hoping that this marks a change for me.

Hope everyone else is ok

berri Tue 27-Nov-12 22:30:53

Hi and welcome Reeny I hope things go smoothly for you this time.

I'm in the RH- club too! Picklep tas and jen <bumps fists>

I've known for years and there's not usually a problem unless you have any bleeding during the pregnancy (spotting doesn't count, has to be more than a tbsp) but you will be given the anti-d/rhogam shot after birth regardless as your blood will have mixed and it protects subsequent babies.

Unfortunately though it wears off after a while, and none showed up in my early blood test so I had to have another shot a couple of weeks ago after I'd had the biggest bleed with this one. Yes it's in your bum, nice!

jenpenod Tue 27-Nov-12 22:30:59

Can't stop laughing re. large headed rhesus negative theory...I definitely don't have a small head grin

Maybe the head comes in handy when fending off aliens?

berri Tue 27-Nov-12 22:31:21

Oh and the big-head theory is definitely not true here DH calls me pinhead

cuppateaandagingersnap Tue 27-Nov-12 22:32:18

Hi Reeny yay a new due date buddy! My 20 week scan is on New Year's Eve. How old is your 1st DC? Natural to be apprehensive if you had such a worrying time last time, I'm sure they will be keeping a really close eye on you this time.

Reenypip Tue 27-Nov-12 22:47:43

Hiya all, berri, tas and cupatea!
My first, is a little boy 19 months.
He will turn 2 a couple of weeks before my second is due.
I have weekly appointments at the hospital so they do keep an eye on things. some things can't be predicted, but of course that's normal :-) I just hope they have all the knowledge and staff available to help.
They don't know what caused the heart problem during the c section so they don't know what really to avoid or decrease the risk.

My cravings have been for honey, and things such as gravy, mash and peas, and apples, so far.

Wirrawoo Tue 27-Nov-12 23:30:53

Hi reeny! Welcome smile

pickle I hear you re the Seraphine jeans. Have got some too and they are seriously comfortable!
beautician yeah the first site I found most stuff too expensive but got lucky with a few things that were fab. In my line of work I need a specific type of formal clothing as am performing, so what I found there turned out to be cheaper than what I would usually have to buy (tax deductible!). Good because had been freaking out about how much I would need to get.
The livelove site has everything from £4 up though so bargains galore!

Wirrawoo Tue 27-Nov-12 23:34:47

Also, am laughing about the rhesus negative/big head thing!!

Had MW appointment today, was really nervous but all was fine. She was lovely, we heard the heartbeat... I agree with the previous comment that hearing the heartbeat makes it more real. It all still feels so nebulous somehow, but knowing he's actually in there is such a relief!

Reenypip Tue 27-Nov-12 23:36:49

Has anyone felt movement yet? I'm 16w tomorrow and I'm positive I've felt flutters and rolling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now