Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013 - we've seen our babies and our trousers are tighter as we enter the second trimester!

(996 Posts)
SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:42

Shiny new thread. Come and grab a brew and a biscuit.

Rachy and Bunny pleased scans went well. Wish I had got to see more of bubs he is do lazy.My first two didn't stop moving at scans.Im hoping he will be a little more active during 4d scan

roastpotatoes Fri 04-Jan-13 12:55:57

Congratulations bunny and rachy!

I know it's a bit early to be packing a hospital bag! I was just curious what people put in them as it's all a bit of a mystery to me. Good idea to have separate ones - could leave the going home stuff in the car I guess...

Great scan news Bunny & Rach grin.

Roast, your maternity unit will probably provide you with a list of all the things you need to bring. I really liked the Evian Water Spray, lip balm, one of those hand massagers for DH to massage my lower back with, hair brush, hair bands,warm socks, MAHOOSIVE knickers, night-time sanitary towels, a sports top water bottle (for swilling/ squirting warm water round your bits when you go to the loo after the delivery. I added Witch Hazel which was soothing), magazines/ book(s) (it may be the last time you get to read them), an iPod with motivating/ soothing playlists already loaded, healthy snacks for you and DH/DP. You'll need to remember your birth plan and medical notes, camera, batteries, money for the parking and vending machines, clothes and entertainment for DH/DP, clothes for DC, mobile (and charger) plus a list of people for DH/DP to call. When you pack it remember that your DH or DP will be the one fishing through it to get you things that you absolutely need right now so get him to pack it for you. I've got to spend 5 days in hospital so will have about 17 bags!

You can find lists online if you type Hospital Bag into Google you'll get loads of hits. In Belgium they advise you to have some really high quality chocolate for the third day when your hormones go mental. I thought it was a bit mental but it did help so make sure there's some at home for when you need it.

berri Fri 04-Jan-13 15:36:13

Bunny & Rach great that your scans were so nice!

Just an important one to add to your hospital bag - earplugs! Just in case you get the opportunity to have a sleep, the labour wards are SO noisy it really helped me. Depends how long you're there for though!

aberjen Fri 04-Jan-13 16:38:19

Hello all! Have been lurking for a while now but finally ready to take the plunge and join in after successful 20 w scan today - DP and I expecting a little girl, DC1, due 23 May smile Will add myself to the stats list at some point. Was convinced 'she' was a 'he', and have even been calling her 'him' for weeks, so will need to re-train myself pronto!

Also, thank you so much to all of the 2nd+ timers for posting those lists of baby essentials! Am completely clueless so that's been really helpful

Zorra Fri 04-Jan-13 17:19:40

Welcome Aberjen, we're due the same day <waves>

Had three crazy days of scans / midwives /whatnot as I leave again overseas on Sunday and won't be back until around 36 weeks! All seems to be well which is fantastic, though I am knackered and full of cold.

mwncigirl Fri 04-Jan-13 18:49:15

I have just two words to say.....maternity pads!! confused

Ellypoo Fri 04-Jan-13 19:04:22

10 hope your scan went well.

Congrats aberjen, bunny and chan on your scans today.

I went this morning for the retry for my anomaly scan, but the baby was still being awkward and hadn't changed position from 2 weeks ago, so I have to go again next week for them to try again. They just need to check the bottom of the spine, sonographer was 99% sure that there isn't any problems, and consultant said that it's really common, but as it grows it will have less space so will have to move. It's just in a really comfy position where it is.

Second maternity pads, and breast pads too. Huge knickers and pop/snacks.

mwncigirl Fri 04-Jan-13 19:43:48

That's annoying elly.

Oh I found that whilst running out of steam in labour, yoghurt really helped give me some oomph!

We'll need a new thread soon!

Ellypoo Fri 04-Jan-13 19:49:52

Thanks mwnc. I just want to hide in bed until the baby arrives!!

Sorry, I meant congrats rachy, not chan - no idea where that came from!!

lollypopsicle Fri 04-Jan-13 20:20:06

Another one with edd of 23rd here. Glad today's scans went well for you ladies. I also had my scan today and all was well. Baby was in an awkward position so they couldn't be conclusive about the sex but think it's probably a girl. Not going to go crazy on the girl clothes just in case but might not be able to resist a pretty purchase or 2 smile
Just so glad baby is healthy. Feel I can relax a bit now.

Hope all is well for you today 10.

mwncigirl Fri 04-Jan-13 20:31:00

elly don't hide! Get out there and show off your bump!! wink

ArtigeneAuberchoke Fri 04-Jan-13 20:56:03

Hi there ladies,

I have lurked a little but may have missed loads.

10 - I am so sorry about your scares. How was your scan today. Thinking of you.

NG - Sorry you have not had your amnio still. All these awkward babies in awkward positions!

Wirra - It is so sad to hear your efforts with your in-laws being rebuffed. It is hurtful. I have not suffered such explicit rejection but have always failed to bond with my SiL who clearly judges my lifestyle choices. It makes me very sad as I'd love a warm extended family. You just have to write it down as their loss. Only weird and damaged people are not open to friendships and family.

Congrats to everyone who have had good scans. Isn't it a relief. We had our anomaly scan on NYE. You may remember how stressed I was after our initial scare with the combined test result. Well the anomaly scan was hugely reassuring. Everything looked perfect and we were told to forget about Downs. Oh and we got a fantastic shot of the willy (DH keeps showing everyone and pointing out its half as long as the thigh!).

Is it Elly or Moo with previous pre-eclampsia? I am glad your placental scan was reassuring. Ours showed high pressure which was a little worrying after PE with DD1 and a healthy placental scan and no problems with DC2. Are you still on aspirin? I am.

Have we heard from SeaSalt since her scare over in Singapore?

And we need an update on Ribena and her halfman!

On hospital bags I will take little besides loads of underwear, millions of breastpads, PJs and flip flops (hospital bathrooms and showers are disgusting). With my first two I took suitcases full of magazines, books, games, scented candles, iPods, special cushions... you name it. What a joke. I never used a thing as early on I was too excited to read/play/listen to music and later on I was in too much bloody pain to care! And I was never allowed to eat as I wanted epidurals.

GeordieCherry Fri 04-Jan-13 20:59:45

Re: hospital bags. Someone on another thread recommended incontinence pants instead of pads as they offer - ahem - all round protection

I've read about lip balm & chocolate too. I'm still intending to be at home but let's see in a few weeks!

Cervical scan went ok yesterday but they want me back in 4 weeks to be sure

My Mum reminded me about pelvic floor exercises today too, so passing the reminder on to you all as well wink

Any news 10?

lollypopsicle Fri 04-Jan-13 21:44:25

My top hospital bag tip would be avoid fizzy drinks during labour. I packed lucozade thinking it would give me energy but it gave me burps; especially during contractions which was annoying, to put it mildly!
I'd still pack energy drinks but the still kind!

MooLL Fri 04-Jan-13 21:51:38

Artigene it was me with the PE ... am happy with the result although they did stress it doesnt mean I wont get it again! Not on Asprin as annoyingly I am allergic to it ... hey ho!

Did a little pink shopping at Petit Bateau today ... never really did the pink thing with DD but seem to be embrassing it a little more this time around. Haha DH thought I would be buying less this time given we already have one daughter ... hmmm maybe not!

Re hospital bags it needs to be better than my first time ... I only went in for a routine bloodpressure check at 36 weeks and wasnt allowed to go being immediately induced. No bag packed so my DH had to go home and pull one together (lovely midwife sat with us and listed stuff out he needed to find or go and buy). I did love the fact he included a black evening maxi dress!!!!!!!!!!!! to be fair at that stage all my mat clothes were black and stretchy and I think he just picked a handful up and shoved them into a bag. Defo going to be more organised this time.

Like last time will definately take in some lovely cashmere socks, make up, perfume etc so I feel remotely human (was in for a week last time - grr) ... also I took in a big (huge) black towel which I slept on over the bed sheets for the first few nights ... was not needed but did incase of leaking (sorry TMI) ... was given the advise by a friend. Also rather than disposable pants (eek) I buy hug granny knickers from M&S (size 18 and I am normally a 12) ... perfect also for a c section as goes above the scar.

MaybeAMayBaby Fri 04-Jan-13 22:59:17

No update from 10? Hope you're ok, lovely.

I second the large knickers rather than disposable. You can throw them out after if you want. Oh-and buy black!
Not sure I needed breat pads until after day 3? Really can't remember. But loads of maternity pads. I mean LOADS!

SeaSalt1 Sat 05-Jan-13 02:14:52

Hello everyone, sorry for the very long silence, after the scare I didn't feel like posting for a while (have been lurking) but confidence is returning now. Artigene, thank you for remembering me! You are so good at keeping track of everyone. I did my full week of bed rest (nearly drove me potty) and things seem fine now. We have our anomaly scan on Tuesday so fingers and toes crossed for that. Congratulations to everyone who has had lovely scan experiences recently, am v. pleased for you. 10 I hope all is well? Let us know how you are doing.

I have now been in Singapore for 14 weeks with 9 to go. It seems like an age but will hopefully whizz past. I know I should be really enjoying it (and there have been some great experiences) but I have developed the instincts of a homing pigeon since becoming pregnant and really can't wait to see my family again, despite DH being here with me (he has been great - very supportive).

When we get back we will need to buy a home and a car, fit into the NHS somewhere, and DH needs to find a job before the baby arrives - rather a lot of big things all at once. My Mother says sometimes in life you just have to be quietly brave, so I am trying to put this into practice. I would love to see our lives come together and for us to be settled in a home with secure jobs before the baby comes but maybe that isn't to be.

On the plus side I have started putting on weight (hooray!). I dropped about 10lbs and have now put back on 2 or 3 so am heading in the right direction finally. Very pleased about this. I have also started a maternity yoga class, which I have been really enjoying (would definitely recommend it).

Thanks for the continued company ladies, you are all fab.

SeaSalt1 Sat 05-Jan-13 02:20:20

p.s. this must sound terribly naive but why will we need giant knickers? (Is it because things are sore down there so having baggy ones is more comfy and leaves room for a pad?). And (again, I'm showing my complete lack of knowledge) breast pads? Tell me about those (for leakage? does this happen straight away? does it only happen if you breast feed?). Finally, I saw something about needing a moses basket and a cot, could someone fill me in on this - would the baby sleep in the basket for a bit and then transfer to the cot after a few weeks or is the basket for carrying the baby around? Sorry, you must think I'm so stupid! I don't know anything really and my close friends who are mums are all thousands of miles away.

Chottie Sat 05-Jan-13 06:34:16

It's been lovely reading all the updates!

I have been resisting the sales, there are so many cute baby clothes around. But my DD saw a cute little going home outfit for the baby, so we did buy that smile

It's interesting that Team Pink is catching up now after all the posts about boys smile

Good luck everyone - it's lovely to be able to say that my DD is expecting a baby 'this year' rather than 'next year' smile Time is going so fast, everyone is over halfway now.

Chottie Sat 05-Jan-13 06:37:42

SeaSalt1 after giving birth, you do feel a bit tender and sensitive underneath for a while. So wearing soft, comfortable and loose pants is a good idea.

The milk doesn't come in until the third day, but before that breasts produce colostrum (sp) so the breast pads stop your bra being stained.

ArtigeneAuberchoke Sat 05-Jan-13 06:41:54

Glad you are feeling better SeaSalt. Nine weeks should fly by at this stage. To answer your questions:

Big pants - several reasons, fist your bump does not deflate immediately after birth. Secondly, you bleed loads and need big pads, if you tear you may want to put cold gel packs down there too. Thirdly, if you end up with a c section the stitches are low down and I think you want to avoid the feeling of tight elastic over them.

Breast pads - you leak whether you breast feed or not as your body will prepare milk which will come in around day 3. Obviously if you don't BF you will only leak for a few days before your body gets the message (but I imagine those fee days might be more leaky as the baby won't relieve the build-up of milk). With my first I didn't leak until day 3 as until then you just have colostrum to feed the baby with, with DC2 my breasts went crazy within 24 hours!

Moses basket - tiny babies look even tinier in cots and most people start them in Moses baskets which maybe mimic the comfort of the womb by being more enclosed. They are also portable so you can carry the sleeping baby from room to room (the advice on preventing cot death is for baby to sleep in company - not everyone does this but it is the advice). If your bedroom is small it's easier to accommodate a Moses basket as the baby is supposed to sleep in your room for six long months (I never managed this, babies are surprinsgly loud even when sleeping and mine were light sleepers who woke if I so much as yawned so they went to their own rooms and cots by 6 weeks).

Where in the UK will you be living on your return from Singapore?

SeaSalt1 Sat 05-Jan-13 08:38:41

Thank you so much Artigene and Chottie, that's really helpful. I need to start reading up more on everything, the hospital gave me a useful book that has some very good information in it but also includes sections on preparing your domestic helper for the baby(!) and the debunking of myths re: producing babies with a lighter skin tone (I can't believe the obsession with light skin out here - I struggled to find a moisturiser without some sort of bleaching agent in it, it's very sad).

Artigene we will be London based, initially renting a relative's flat in North London for a few weeks whilst we try to buy somewhere and then (fingers crossed) moving into a place in SW London before the birth (could be a bit 11th hour but it would be so nice to be settled before the baby comes). It's going to be hard with all the moving, especially with trying to choose a hospital / antenatal classes etc. in the right location, but we'll manage.

I meant to say earlier, lovely to see everyone new on the thread! Congratulations and a big welcome (sorry, I'm terrible with names but will learn them eventually).

Picklep Sat 05-Jan-13 09:04:59

So glad to hear from seasalt and pleased things are much better. 9 weeks will fly by!

Thinking of you 10 and hoping things are still improving nicely?

I have a peeing question: up till now, I was just waking up once a night for a large pee, the last few nights however, it's 4-6 times!! It's like I just nod off and then suddenly I desperately need to pee, and its only teacup worth. I'm so exhausted with all the loo trips, was actually tempted to sleep in the loo last night! Is anyone else the same? It's not as bad during day and there are no UTI symptoms.

ArtigeneAuberchoke Sat 05-Jan-13 10:15:21

Pickle - that happened to me in my last pregnancy and the midwife said I was training my bladder to believe that I needed to empty it every time it was partially full. She encouraged me to wait and tell myself I didn't need to go. After a few uncomfortable nights I was back down to one wee.

DH and I are going to take the kids away for a last adventure as a family of 4. It will be Feb half term so I will be about 27 weeks. Would you guys be nervous about going off the beaten track at that stage? We want to go to Cappadocia an area on the Abatolian plateau in central Turkey, tourists go a lot but it is not developed and the nearest good hospital would be 4 or 5 hours drive away. What do you think? Other possibilities are Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt which is very developed but I worry a bit about tummy bugs in Egypt (also I would be sad not to be able to SCUBA which I live). The two safer options are my favourite city in the world, Istanbul (will be rainy in Feb though) or Granada in southern Spain. What would you guys do?

Thinking of you 10. Hope all is well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now