Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

May 2013 - we've seen our babies and our trousers are tighter as we enter the second trimester!

(996 Posts)
SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:42

Shiny new thread. Come and grab a brew and a biscuit.

berri Thu 03-Jan-13 16:48:40

Gosh I've only been offline for a few days and have missed loads!

Welcome sisi and gemlove!

twinkling thanks for your advice about the back stuff - I actually hadn't thought to mention it but it would be a good idea.

Congrats to everyone on their scans and respective boys & girls! Funny how there are twice as many boys??!

10 I'm so sorry to hear you're stuck in hospital, what a nightmare for you. I hope you're managing to get some sleep, they can be very noisy places! I know it's been said already, but try not to worry too much - I was in & out of hospital with a lot of bleeding with DS, they never did find out what caused it (but interesting that I had the placenta tear with this pregnancy....).

One thing I will mention though, although NOT to worry you unduly - DS was born prematurely when my waters broke at 31 weeks. I've heard from docs over here in the USA since that apparently having bleeding can release a hormone which can damage the bag holding your waters, so you are more prone to them breaking earlier than they might have. Nobody in the UK mentioned that even after he was born, so I'm not sure if it's different medical knowledge or what.

I'm not saying you'll have a prem baby, but if I'd had a bag packed and felt a bit more 'prepared' to have him early, I think my experience of labour would have been much better than it was. He was/is absolutely fine and just turned 4 smile

22+6

10storeylovesong Thu 03-Jan-13 17:23:31

It's funny you say that - when they gave me my due date I said straight away that he'd be here before that. I always had a really strange sense that he would come early. Saying that I'll probably be whining when I'm 10 days overdue! I've never heard of the connection before but I've had a couple of friends that bled throughout and their babies all came early too.

After having dh running round to get things today (brought chocolate and a hair brush, but no toothbrush or anything to wash with!) I had resolved to get my hospital bag ready soon anyway - if it's too early it won't matter anyway and better than having nothing ready.

GeordieCherry Thu 03-Jan-13 17:27:41

Love your priorities 10!
If you have to wait til tomorrow that's a good sign right..?

Thinking about you brew (for having with your chocolate)

beaver33 Thu 03-Jan-13 18:00:15

10 bloody 'ell, that's a bit of a wait - but probably a good sign because they're not rushing you in there straight away. Frustrating to be in hospital, but at least there's nothing else you can be doing. Get your DP to bring in some rubbishy mags and good nibbles and take your mind off it.

mwncigirl Thu 03-Jan-13 18:07:16

Hope you're getting on ok 10 and got enough to keep you occupied.

On the topic of what to buy, it's way too early, but after putting DS 1 in the bath (and taking his off) I thought I should tell you about the amber teething knecklaces. You can get them on eBay (though make sure you check out the seller as there are fake ones on there). They are quite cheap, and I know they might be a bit hippy but I swear DS1 really benefited from his. He seemed to start teething from only a few months old and had had no probs since wearing his. I recommend them!

roastpotatoes Thu 03-Jan-13 18:26:55

How did your scan go MooLL?? Do we have another one for the girl team??

MooLL Thu 03-Jan-13 19:26:08

Hey Roast YES!!!! its another girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are over the moon ... a little sister for our DD hurrah! so happy that we can re-use some of her lovely clothes . I was convinced it was a boy and like last time was totally wrong. Scan took 1 1/2 as she was being a pickle and had her hands over her eyes and heart so the sonographer spent ages trying to get the measurements ... ended up going for a walk and having to eat lots of sugary goods to try and make her move ... thankfully she finally did. Apart from that all measurements normal and the special pre-eclampsia test shows there are no blood flow issues either in my placenta or chord so my risk has reduced substantially for getting it again thankfully.

10 just a quickie to say I am thinking of you and will be checking in regularly over the next few days to check all is ok x

roastpotatoes Thu 03-Jan-13 19:31:40

Brilliant - congratulations!! The girls are making a comeback...!

Boys:15 (picklep, cuppa, beaut, 10, wilde, chottie, betsy, frankie, mwncigirl, secretcervix, artigene, wirrawoo, tas, flaming, seasalt)

Girls:9 (roast, babygeek, reeny, berri, jenpen, shelly, sparkly, mamabrussels, mooll)

Surprise:6 (bunny, twinkling, littlespade, terracotta, Geordie, ellypoo, geordie)

berri Thu 03-Jan-13 19:54:52

Congrats Moo! Funny how many of us were 'totally convinced' about the gender of our babies only to be completely wrong! I'm still a bit shocked it's a girl even after 3 separate sonographers have confirmed it grin mother's intuition my arse

10 hello again smile Hope all goes ok at your next scan, come back and let us know how you're doing won't you.

Boodstress Thu 03-Jan-13 21:14:21

Hi all, loving new year catch up on all your news. I may have dropped off list but I'm due may 3rd planned section (unfortunately) DC number 3. I have two DSs so keeping the surprise. I feel sure it's a DD but afraid to say it almost.

Ten following your hospital stay and sending positive thoughts. Often these early scares are just that and long forgotten when bubs arrives. Lots of luck. I got a full on kick with a random rugby ball right in the bump at 6 months with DS1 whilst sitting in a park and all was fine after a hair raising 24 hrs.

I plan to BF again as loved it and v lazy for all the bottle faff at night feeds. I followed a combo of baby whisperer and Ms Ford and a bit of intuition and it worked well.. A challenge on DS2 but perfect on DS1.

I also suffer from PSD ( painful pelvic problems) which is already causing me issues but doing everything I should so hopefully won't get too bad.

Thanks for great info/company grin

Is anyone else struggling with no sleep.I didn't experience it in my first two pregnancies.

Poor DP has to keep going to bed alone.All I do is fidget in bed and if I do drop off its for an hour or two at most and then it takes me hours to get back off again hmm

berri Fri 04-Jan-13 02:40:26

Beaut I'm the other way round, fell asleep sitting up on the sofa at 8pm last night! Doing much better tonight, it's already 8.40pm & I'm still awake!

10storeylovesong Fri 04-Jan-13 07:48:45

beaut I'm with you on the no sleep! Driving poor dh mad fidgeting all night. Luckily he's working night's the next 2 months so we both might be able to get some kip

10 Is yours due to worry or were you like it before.Hope you are feeling better and that scan goes well today and gives you added reassurance.

I can't function properly as so tired. I thought the middle bit was when we are supposed to get out energy back.It was last to times.

WildeRumpus Fri 04-Jan-13 09:02:01

Good luck for your scan today 10 hope you got some rest.

roastpotatoes Fri 04-Jan-13 09:09:06

I haven't been sleeping so well the last few nights - was thinking that maybe it is time to invest in one of those pillows to support the bump and go between my legs. Does anyone use those?

I hope the scan goes really well this afternoon 10 and that you get some reassurance.

By the way, if anyone has suggestions for what to put in the hospital bag, that would be useful too - so helpful having such experienced people here!

Roast Will post more later but my essential hospital bag item is lip balm grin all that breathing or sucking on gas and air leaves lips so dry

10storeylovesong Fri 04-Jan-13 09:33:52

I've not slept well for a few months now so just assumed it was part of the lovely pregnancy package. Thanks for all good look messages. I'm feeling much more positive today after hearing baby's heartbeat every 4 hours. All the midwives have commented how strong it is, and have been laughing as every time they put the Doppler on he either moves away quickly or kicks at it! They say he's going to be a rum un!

10storeylovesong Fri 04-Jan-13 09:34:34

Good luck even - I'm blaming lack of sleep!

Sisi8 Fri 04-Jan-13 09:45:53

Hi all, just a quick one to say good luck 10, all sounds very positive

MaybeAMayBaby Fri 04-Jan-13 09:52:25

Good luck 10! Did you say it was this afternoon?

Roast bit early for hospital bag, but I'd advise not packing everything in one go! I'd leave going home clothes for you and bubs at home in another bag for DH/P to bring in an swap with other stuff. there was so much! And the midwives took the mick out of me with my 2 bags (and I had taken my own advice above!).

Have I got my head in the clouds or something? I haven't thought about buying anything (but might be because I've got everything confused). I feel like I should be taking advantage of the sales? I only need a steriliser as ours blew up! Also got to get new mattresses for Moses basket and cotbed. But I've also got to get DD into a single bed first! I think that might be quite a challenge.
All I can think about at the moment is sorting the house out? Nesting?

Bunnychan Fri 04-Jan-13 10:23:47

Thinking of you 10 x

Got my scan in an hour; so nervous! I'm pottering about but achieving nothing this morning :-s x

rachywhite83 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:57:15

Had my scan this morning. It was a wonderful experience. Totally different to my 12 week. Baby was moving and jumping round. Got a great picture of him/her rubbing there eyes. Just lovely x

Bunnychan Fri 04-Jan-13 12:11:36

Scan was fine- even saw the baby's face!! So happy now; going to relax and enjoy it now :-) x

Wirra I'm just reading French children don't throw good.Its really good and now I want to read French children don't talk back.Ill also get a copy of the contented baby book as found it great last time.

So in conclusion you now have me spending more money as I thought all these books would go well on a kindle fire wink Although I do have my birthday coming up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now