Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013 - we've seen our babies and our trousers are tighter as we enter the second trimester!

(996 Posts)
SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:42

Shiny new thread. Come and grab a brew and a biscuit.

wilderumpus Mon 03-Dec-12 18:10:15

seven the jab isn't until we are 28 weeks.

I don't have cravings as such, no... but i am extremely partial to particular crisps - french fries, skips and wheat crunchies. Don't like indian food. And am off tea! is so weird but it just is too tea-y! hmm

flamin that is lovely if you are pleased about it. I would run for the hills if it were my MIL grin

sorry to hear you are suffering elly

thanks for the tip about the heat pad pickle. what is it exactly? I have such a sore lower back, around my coccyx and slip-sliding around on the ice earlier has set off the first twinges of spd. would it help that? My pelvis around the back feels like it is becoming unhinged if I walk far - not all the time tho. Am sitting very still today to get over it asap!

have only been getting teeny little flutters here and there over the past few days, I could even be making them up. am starting to fret! I want a decent booting! grin

aw poor kate middleton. imagine having HG and having to do public engagements and pretend all is well in case the press find out before 12 weeks. eck.

wilderumpus Mon 03-Dec-12 18:10:29

oh, 16+6!

MaybeAMayBaby Mon 03-Dec-12 18:26:03

I have had coccycs pain (non pregnancy related) for years. I'm afraid I was til nothing they can/will do. The physio I saw recently said in extreme cases they will push the bone back in place (via your back passage!) but normally leve well alone. That's fine 95% of the time, but I sometimes get painful flare ups that last weeks. It's so difficult to sit-so I sympathise with those suffering. Weirdly I haven't had it since being pregnant.

Re Kate and Wills. Can you imagine spending weeks-months choosing the perfect, not too popular name and then they also pick it a month later! Argh! No George or Albert or such like (shame).

Also got MW appt this week. Tbh, I can find hb really easily with Doppler now. I keep thinking I'll go and she'll say that I've been doing it wrong and that isn't it!
What else do they do at 16week appt? The matB forms?

LB-how are you today? Sending lots of positive vibes for you and your DH tomorrow. Will they revise the stats?

16 weeks today (elly will you be induced at 38 weeks too?).

Ellypoo Mon 03-Dec-12 18:56:46

Matb1 forms are after 20 weeks, so normally at the 24 wk MW appt. You can still inform your employer before you get it though to ensure you're within the time limits.

Baby being delivered by elcs at 36 wks seven assuming everything is still ok (and consultant & me can hold our nerve!!)- will have steroid injections at 32 wks, and weekly scans & consultant appts from 32 wks (and 24, 28 & 30 weeks aswell) to check everything, because my dd1 died due to blood clots in placenta & oxygen starvation.

May have to invest in one of those heat pads if they help, MW did recommend those wheat ones you put in the microwave so will have to dig that out too.

Had my OB-GYN appointment on Friday. Had the usual scan and found out we're having a little girl. Dr spent quite a long time looking at her bits and is as certain as he can be that it's a girl ("See there, that's a hamburger not a hot dog").

Other than that we're all full of cold and every one is getting over-excited by the snow and St Nicholas on Thursday. DS turns two tomorrow so will make a start on the Xmas preparations after that.

17 weeks!

Picklep Mon 03-Dec-12 19:36:43

wilde I've had sciatica so bum and legs were aching, also had chronic back pain ( always suffered with my back), this has been a god send for me. I also get cold easily so its been great to warm up quickly with this too. It's the Dreamland Thermo Therapy Pad, its slightly bigger than the size of a cushion but thin, covered in a towel-like fabric and has 3 diff heat settings, just plug in. Because it's flat you can manipulate it in many diff ways to get it where you have pain. It's £20 and like I say has really helped me. I think it would work for you too, you just need a chair near a socket and you could kind of sit on/against it.

As for bump, mine feels like its having a growth spurt, tummy is itchy and feels like it could explode. Still not feeling baby yet but trying not to panic about that. Hopefully I will soon!

17 + 2

Picklep Mon 03-Dec-12 19:39:46

ellypoo the wheat bags are great but difficult to use on some places and they go cold, but heat pad stays hot as long as you need. (I don't work for Argos - I promise!)

Wirrawoo Mon 03-Dec-12 19:43:29

mammabrussels congrats on your little girl! It's amazing how they can tell... When looking at the scan we couldn't work out what they could possibly be spotting!!

ellypoo I'm so sorry about your dd1, that must have taken a lot of strength to get through. Will be sending all good vibes for a totally easygoing pregnancy for you this time thanks

Welcome to the 2 new people, sorry am doing this on my phone so try to remember the names as I scroll down to reply and have forgotten them! Nice to meet you, hope all is well with you.

* littlebairn* still thinking of you xx hope that you've been resting up and getting into some quality DVDs. Will be wishing the best for your scan tomorrow.

We are having a foetal echocardiogram tomorrow at Great Ormond St so even though it is a precautionary thing am a little nervous. Am still not totally clear on why we were referred for one. I was born with a heart murmur so maybe... Or maybe the increased nuchal measurement... In any case will be glad when it's done and clear.

Have a good evening ladies smile am v impressed with all this Christmas organisation. Have got pressies for my partner and some ideas for stuff, hoisted the decorations down from the attic, but still much to do. We are going to his family for Christmas lunch, will be lovely to see them all so excited for us (assuming all goes well with upcoming scans), but his mum hasn't spoken to us since we broke the news so am worried that the initial being 'happy' for us may not be wholehearted! Ah well, will steer clear and go down the other end of the table wink

ArtigeneAuberchoke Mon 03-Dec-12 19:47:27

Can I ask you all a question? Up to now I've not felt any definite movement. Maybe a flutter all two (but that could have been wind!). This is not too surprising as I'm 16+1 and with DCs 1&2 I didn't feel much before 20 weeks. Anyway, today I was in a meeting when I felt this massive jolt at the tip of my womb. It was like a very strong kick by a 40 weaker. It actually hurt and I was so shocked I yelped and really scared my colleagues. Ive felt nothing since. Do you think it could have been a kick or is that unlikely given nothing before or after? And if it wasn't a kick what on earth could it have been?

ArtigeneAuberchoke Mon 03-Dec-12 19:51:18

Cross posts Wirra. The echocardiogram will be down to the increased nuchal. I'm having one for the same reason. An increased nuchal can be caused by congenital heart problems but the chances are it was caused by nothing. Will be thinking of you tomorrow, good luck.

Artigene, where abouts is the tip of your womb at this point? I think mine's around my belly button now. I can't think of anything else around there that it could be other than a powerful kick in a sensitive area of your tummy!

I had the weirdest sensation on Thursday night. I stretched and felt a pop on the right hand side of my stomach, then another on my left hand side. When I looked down I thought I'd see stretch marks appearing before my eyes. Woke up on Friday with an unmistakable and pronounced baby bump!

berri Mon 03-Dec-12 20:08:50

LittleBairn how are you today?

Good luck for tomorrow wirra smile

Another girl mammab! We'll have to compare names! Harder for girls names than boys I seem to think!

Artigene it was most likely just a well aimed kick! I think they are turning and squirming a lot at the moment while they have still got room, and it was probably just a foot right on a place where you have some nerve-endings! Don't be worried, sure you'll start to feel some more flutterings now you've felt that. Obviously just him or her saying hello smile

17+4

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Mon 03-Dec-12 20:29:12

For Christmas last year my husband bought me a massage chair. It is the best invention in the entire universe for back/neck ache. I suspect it may get used rather a lot over the next few months.

As for my MIL, she is lovely. She can fuss for England but she means well and I'm an expert at letting it go in one ear and straight out the other. (My daughter has AS and hasn't stopped talking for the past 19 years grin) I'm sure I can be just as annoying at times, but we're both grown up enough to not take minor annoyances to heart and to go and have lie down and a quiet read before we fall out. I think it helps greatly that she is the sort of person who doesn't like to be waited on hand and foot and will crack on and do stuff that needs doing without needing to be asked.

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Mon 03-Dec-12 21:49:29

Thanks wilde.

Good luck for the scan tomorrow wirra, and littleb I wish you all the luck in the world that littlebairn is still fighting.

mammab congratulations on your girl!

elly I remember you saying about your DD when you joined. At what point in your pregnancy was she born? Do they think you're at risk of it happening again or is the early CS just a precaution? Sorry feel free not to answer if you don't want to talk about it.

milkandribena Mon 03-Dec-12 23:37:30

hello :D
Really craving a glass of wine tonight - I'm not a drinker normally at all. errr I settled for milk and chocolate digestives instead

Still thinking about you little
ohh a girl mammab
flamin that sounds like the best prezzie ever - I want one!!
Hope the scans are good to anyone with one coming up
welcome to you newbies smile

I'm happy for Kate and Wills but am dreading the next 8 months of news it will be the only thing in the news (plus it would be horrible with whole world following it)

Have to work out christmas this week. Have to met (nearly bf)man's family and he mine, or rather our families are demanding they met the other person. Trying to work out where to spend what day and stuff - A mind field who knew ?!?!

berri Tue 04-Dec-12 02:51:01

milk so 'non man' has graduated to 'nearlybf man' ?! gringrin

milkandribena Tue 04-Dec-12 08:42:38

blush yeah berri he is blush grin not quiet but nearly there and feels so odd but right as well.

ArtigeneAuberchoke Tue 04-Dec-12 08:57:40

Woop woop for non-man's promotion to a nearly BF! I do think your relationship probably meets the minimum criteria for BF/GF Milk: you spend your weekends together, you indulge in saucy mini breaks, you are meeting each other's families and you are having a baby together!

LittleB - I'm keeping everything crossed for your scan today. Here is hoping for a little water replenishment. X

10storeylovesong Tue 04-Dec-12 09:05:52

Good luck today littleb

ArtigeneAuberchoke Tue 04-Dec-12 09:06:53

Posted too soon...

I meant to say congratulations on the little girl MammaB. I'm the mum of two girls and just love it so much.

And Flamin I think it us lively that your MiL is dropping everything to help you. I love close knit family help. They say it takes a village to raise a child and I think that is very true and am rather sad at the lack of familial involvement in my children's lives. Sadly I lost my mum and dad several years ago and am an only child so my DDs only have DH's family. The PiLs love them but rarely offer hands on help with them. I'd definitely celebrate help from any well meaning relative!

Elly - I hadn't realised you had lost a DD late in pregnancy. I hope your doctors give you every bit of support you need to make this pregnancy as anxiety free as possible.

Ellypoo Tue 04-Dec-12 09:18:25

Thanks wirra, it is very hard going and scary - we are hoping this is a trouble free pg too!!

seven she was born at 37+4, I went in with reduced movements.

They are monitoring me really closely this time, thankfully - as much for my reassurance at the moment, but the regular scans from 20 weeks aer so that they can monitor the fluid levels, blood & oxygen flow through the cord and the baby's head & stomach size - because they don't really know what caused it, they don't know if it's likely to happen again, which is why they are monitoring so closely and delivering early.

Woohoo to the promotion to nearly bf milk!! It's lovely that your families want to meet etc. It can be a logistical nightmare though - can you meet halfway somewhere between you & nearly bf, and maybe go for a walk and a pub for lunch or something?

lb, thinking of you - hope your scan shows positive news today xxx

elly Hope everything goes well for you this time.It sounds like you are being well looked after.

Milk I love hearing about your adventures with non man who has now become BF. You sound so right together.

LittleB I hope everything goes well for you today.I will be thinking of you.

I'm still really tired.I thought it would have improved by now.

16+5

wilderumpus Tue 04-Dec-12 10:14:24

good luck today littleb thanks

elly so sorry to hear about your DD. You sound really upbeat about this pg and is lovely you are being monitored so much.

milk am so pleased for you! Lovely your families are meeting smile After nearly 13 years together a wedding (only us) and a three year old DS our familes have never met! they would NOT get on! DH's mum is VERY straight and quiet and hates flamboyance and my mum is, well, the opposite.

artigene I agree that it is lovely to have family around to bring up a child together and am really sorry to hear about your parents. my family are only 2 hours away but rarely visit sad when DHs family would see DS all the time if they could... so we are moving to be closer to them in Jan/Feb! will be weird but nice.

congrats on your girl mama!

thanks for your advice on the heat pad pickle, it sounds ace. I am less achy today probably because I slept well (yay) and my bump seems to have grown overnight! And am not doing the childminder run any more to stop the spotting until we know the placenta has shifted. Will miss the walk tbh.

I THINK I have felt three wee taps from the baby today. could be making it up tho grin

17+0

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Tue 04-Dec-12 10:36:35

milk I think it's great that non-man is now nearly-BF, how exciting!

elly it must make it so much harder to deal with not knowing why it happened. It sounds like they're taking really good care of you this time though. Are you planning to BF? Bear in mind that if you want to it's likely to be more difficult being prem, mine were 35+5 and 35+6 and I wasn't able to.

beaut I'm still exhausted too, I just assumed it was because DD is only just a year old so I'm constantly chasing her around. Though it probably is partly her fault, the pre 6am wake-ups aren't helping!

I've not had much pain but I'm still always cold, DH has been told I want a hot water bottle for Christmas!

roastpotatoes Tue 04-Dec-12 10:40:32

Thinking of littleb today - hoping everything is OK.

milk I'm so pleased for you that everything is going so well. I know that no two situations are the same but a friend of mine had similar circumstances when she was pregnant a couple of years ago and things have turned out really well for them - two years later they are still together with a gorgeous little girl.

I think I am starting to feel little movements too - like little pops in my tummy. Very exciting! Still feeling like my bump is rather small though - some days it is definitely there but then other days (like today) it is really unnoticeable.

18+2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now