Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The 2nd broadly Gemini luxury bus.

(1000 Posts)

Welcome aboard, for the trip that will take us into the 2nd trimester and beyond, Make yourself comfy as we head towards maternity clothes, new bras, blooming, bumps, scans, and fading ms. Full of chatting, moaning tmi and mutual support.

Here is the link to our last bus.

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Fri 28-Dec-12 21:19:35

Ugh I'm ill, sick and stomach cramps, and really hoping I'm just weeing myself a bit when I'm sick, (never thought I'd hear myself say that) but think I am, not panicking yet
I hate being ill. sad

Oh frus poor you sad on the weeping front I'm going to say you are as I have found myself in the same predicament before and it's only when you vomit you feel it come out --oh how our cat is so very personal blush- I hope you feel better today, no panicking

Weeing not weeping

Cat?!? Chat!! Bloody iPhone

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Sat 29-Dec-12 09:38:36

Hey. I'm much better today, think it was a dodgy pizza yesterday. (It wasn't ms that's for sure) well I can safely say that when I vomit violently I wee myself. blush and dr google told me of it was fluid it would keep leaking, and it hasn't so I'm happy(?!) to be weeing myself must do more pelvic floors.

Jojobells1986 Sun 30-Dec-12 12:37:00

Aww Frus it's awful, isn't it?! I got a stomach ache just after going to bed on boxing day. I was in agony & genuinely concerned about early labour because I didn't feel sick or like I had an upset stomach, it just hurt so much I nearly passed out! I've been gagging when burping for quite a while now so when I did that I didn't think anything of it but kinda gave myself permission to be sick which I've not done throughout the MS phase. Of course, once I actually was sick I was scared that it was a sign of my body going into shock due to early labour. Thankfully I then had several unpleasant trips to the loo over about half an hour & woke DH up early the next morning demanding toast!

I've been absolutely fine ever since! No MS or anything! My appetite is still relatively small but that's not surprising given that I've not really eaten properly since conception! I'm also getting regular twitches from the baby which is fun! I love this phase - they're strong enough for me to feel but not so strong that anyone else could so it's like the baby & I have a little secret! grin

Am stuck at my in-laws until Tuesday. They're lovely really, just a little more prim & proper than me! They're of the opinion that one should take daily exercise, either in the form of a stroll around a stately garden while FIL points out flowers & begins a lecture on their Latin names, origins, soil preferences... or a nice march up a hill to survey a bump that was once a hill fort, again accompanied by an informative lecture regarding the history, archaeology, etc. It's exhausting! Thankfully there's never a test so I mostly daydream through it all but I'm really not up to much walking at the moment! I think my MS might have to spontaneously reappear if any mention is made of an excursion! wink

Oh Jojo another sicky bug?! sad glad it seems to have left along with ms!
How far are you now? I've had very regular twitches the last 2 days (19wks wed) they've been sporadic at best till now but it is lovely and reassuring to feel them and like you say like your little secret grin I think that's my fav thing in pregnancy!
Gona hit the shops tomorrow, anyone else bought much? I was told by the shops to order the second seat for my iCandy weeks ago as the waiting list is so long but don't feel I can till I hit the 20wk mark and all is ok

OhThePlacesYoullGo Sun 30-Dec-12 19:15:21

Jojobells1986 your in-laws sound ace. :D

Lorelei353 Sun 30-Dec-12 20:32:28

Hi everyone. Lovely to hear all the Christmas stories. Hope everyone's feeling well/better.

I had a lovely christmas in Ireland staying with my parents. I did however get a horrible headcold that turned into a miserable cough, so felt pretty rotten most of the time I was there. Only feeling normal today, and back to work tomorrow.

I did however get to raid my sister's maternity clothes which was fun. Came back with some lovely bits and pieces. I haven't bought much as I don't know what I'll need yet and don't want to buy things I won't wear. Haven't bought anything for baby yet as we'll wait until after the next scan on 23rd Jan. We did go into John Lewis and Mothercare today to have a look at things. We've pretty much decided on getting the Bugaboo Chameleon. The iCandy looks just as good but a (male) friend told my DH that the axle on them isn't good so he's not having it. 

On a TMI note, my nipples look weird at the moment - kind of brown, flaky and almost scabby  looking. Normal? I'll show them to my midwife next week when I finally get my 16 week check up at 18 weeks!

peardrop2 Sun 30-Dec-12 23:12:06

Hi ladies, hope you all had a fab Christmas? Sounds like a few of you have been v busy lately! Sorry I haven't been around. I took along break from MN as personally I felt I got a bit addicted and don't feel it's the right place for me but just wanted to let you know that me and bubs are well and approaching the 20th week.

Pear I was thinking of you last night and hoping all was ok not in a stalker way, just where had you gone glad to know all is ok and even if your not around sad that you and bubs are ok, I know I had gone abit ott on mn at times and had breaks which is abig reason why I only stuck to this thread in the end rather then too many, hope you had a nice Xmas, hope you will update us with your 20wk scan news, mine is a week wed!
Lor glad you had a good Xmas, your post did make me chuckle, the and on another note my nipples are..... Lol sorry but where else can you discuss nipples?! I've not got any advise I'm afraid but have heard it before and think people have suggested to bf cream you can use x

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Mon 31-Dec-12 10:08:34

Hey all.

lorelei white/cream flaky or brown flaky? Creamy flaky is most likely colostrum, either way a good nipple moisturiser should help. Lansinoh is really good, a little goes a long way, so lasts ages, and you don't have to wipe it off before bfing (their breast pads are good too, nice and thin, but very absorbent, and the only ones that coped with my oversupply with dd1)

Ps, I want a cameleon too, with the snow wheels for the front, to cope with tracks around my way although I do need to decide what colour, eBay is my friend I've heard good things about them, ive not had one yet, and I've had roughly 12 buggys, so am very fussy and particular. I'm after a rear facing that is sturdy enough to take an overloaded buggy board for short trips. (Also looking for a sturdy double, maybe a landrover, for summer holiday outings) not fussy at all me. grin

Hey pear good to know you and bubs are doing well.

Blending Mon 31-Dec-12 11:00:09

Another who has taken a break and is now back!

Had a private gender scan yesterday and its one of each flavour...we think! The little girl twin they were 95% certain, but the cord kept getting in the way of the the second twin, so the sonographer was only 80% certain, so I get a free scan next week!

First time in weeks I've not been poorly and it feels great!

We've started looking at prams but I'm so confused, I don't remember it being this complicated last time. Will proably go to ebay as I can't afford to splash out £1200 for a twin travel system with all the bits, even if it is fantastic.

Lorelei353 Mon 31-Dec-12 13:32:58

Hi pear. Good to hear you're well and progressing along with the rest of us. This is the only thread on MN I'm on so keeps things simple!

Frus it's more brown and flaky so don't think it's colostrum. I'm not overly worried about it but it just looks a bit weird. And unattractive sad. Will get MW to look. In terms of Chameleon colour, we've found some of the old limited edition colours - like all black- are almost £100 cheaper on some websites so we're shopping around. I don't really mind colour as long as it's not too bright or garish. Can't believe you've had 12 buggys!

Blending one of each! That's great. Also glad you're not feeling poorly anymore. The pram thing is dizzying isn't it? Fortunately my DH is mister practical/get-things-done so I'm letting him do a lot of the research.

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Mon 31-Dec-12 14:26:56

Yay for a girl blending

Dd1 had a travel system and 2 smaller strollers, with dd2 it was so hard find one I actually liked and was sturdy enough, dd1 was tiny and walked early and dd2 is tall and rarely walks, so outgrew alot of buggys, (think I had a buggy fettish at one point) also had a double in the early days, and still have a mac major and an old all-terrain for her
- i'm tall so adjustable handles are good, have a deaf child so rear facing is high on my priority (incase new baby is too, but also good for signing even if not deaf), rough terrain wheels are a must in my area, and stability and studiness important in attaching a buggy board.

Librarina Mon 31-Dec-12 17:35:01

Hi all! Nice to see absent friends. Glad everythings going ok Pear

My nipples are fine but I've been exposed to some slapped cheeks so apparently I need to go to the Docs to have a blood test so that'll be fun on my first day back in work. I'm resisting googling but my friend whose a health visitor (and whose kid was infected) told me that was the thing to do. Any experience on this thread?

Lorelei. I've bought the Bugaboo Cameleon too, it's lovely, really comfy to push and looks comfy for the baby to lie in. It's living at my Mums at the moment but I'm trying to spread the big purchases across the pregnancy.

Frus The John Burningham book and the Giles Andrae are both very much about mummy having a baby and there being enough love to go around, sctually, Quacking Time is too... but with ducks. The last words of one of them is "We're going to love the baby, aren't we" which makes me do a little happy cry every time. Re books for children with special needs, I know lots of books about deaf children, and there is one in particular about a little girl who signs who is worried about the new baby, that her mum will love the baby more if the baby isn't deaf, which is sensitive and lovely. I can do some searches when I'm back in work next week for books featuring other SN if you would like me too, I could see what I could find soecific to your child if you're happy to share here.

OhThePlacesYoullGo Mon 31-Dec-12 17:43:19

Oh wow, you have all already bought/picked out prams? I have no idea what a Cameleon is... what makes it good? Guess we will need a pram that is easy to fit on the bus and is cheap. And has one of those rain cover thingies. Am guessing that's it. Should it do anything else?

OhThePlacesYoullGo Mon 31-Dec-12 18:01:37

Ooookay... I just googled Cameleon pram and it's like £750! I almost fell of my chair shock. But having looked around for a few minutes, you can get much cheaper ones; this one is £47: www.amazon.co.uk/Babyco-Baby-Stroller-Black-Months/dp/tech-data/B007RKQZN2/ref=de_a_smtd

So for a complete novice what makes the Cameleon superior?

Jojobells1986 Mon 31-Dec-12 20:56:39

I love my obaby zezu pramette. That's all I have to say on pram discussions! grin Places, if the bus is an issue you might want to consider a wrap/sling for the early stages. After 6 months you can use a cheap umbrella-fold buggy for bus trips, although I think you can get some more expensive umbrella-folds that are suitable from birth.

Just had a shower & am suddenly aware that my ever expanding stomach is increasingly hairy & my breasts have an attractive green hue thanks to all the enormous veins that have surfaced! Wow, pregnancy is glamorous! wink

Ha ha I love my iCandy!!
Oh the places I think you just do the research and get what fits in with you and your lifestyle, that's the best advice I can give, for me at the time I knew if want 2 quite close together, the bugaboo didn't have a double at the time and even now I don't like it's a side by side, they are hard enough to manoeuvre around shops without being double the width and the iCandy has the adjustable height which is good as me and dh are tall, my mum and dad short plus is rear and forward facing so you can see what suits child plus much nice colours then bugaboo lolwink however my dsis loves her chameleon so it's all whats good for you, I say go try them out although frus with a buggy board my dsis used it on mine more then hers as the crib bit is very big on the chameleon , doesn't leave alot of room- just something to bear in mind if you were planning on that part?!
Nice to hear from everyone, we had gone quiet and so exciting blending especially another free scan grin funny they gave odds, with dd at 20wks she said 90 odd % shed never say 100, however at my sexing she said girl no question of odds, will see in a week if it matches 20weeks anyway
Lib those sound like great books, I'm definatly going to invest in one I think thanks

Jojobells1986 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:43:52

Places - forgot to say, my in-laws are great but sometimes I think they live on a different planet! Somehow the discussion turned to some of the problems they had with their last house & lengthy descriptions of how they solved those problems. DH then mentioned some of the more major problems with our house & FIL dismissed each one with, "Well you just need to get someone to..." as if the solutions were quick & easy fixes to be done over the next few weeks, not major expenditures of several hundred pounds (if not more) that would need to be carefully saved up for! I hope that one day we can deal with the drainage pipe the comes down in our lean-to which leaks from a poor seal in the ceiling & emits odours from the poor seal in the floor but for us it's really not as simple as having money to throw at it! His blasé attitude when it comes to money grates on me at the best of times. It didn't help that tonight I was reading a book about a 19 year old who left her comfy American home & moved to Uganda a couple of years ago & ended up adopting numerous orphans & opening her home to other scabies-infected children so she could treat them. It makes our smelly utility room seem like a luxury! wink

Anyway... Back to baby talk! Anyone going to make it all the way to midnight? I'm off to bed now. I'm absolutely exhausted & we've got more relatives to visit & lots of driving to do tomorrow!

I would say aswell with the chameleon the only thing anyone I know has complained about and I know 3 people with them is the bag at the bottom is useless, you can't get anything under or in it, might not sound like a biggie but if you are laden down with stuff it's nice to have alot of room to dump bags, apart from that all friends very happy with them!
someone also told me aswell when picking a pram to make sure you get one that can't get punctures as she had had to repair hers loads! ( I hadn't even known they could get them so I think good advice!) my only criticism with iCandy is that the base is quite heavy when you pick it up to put in the car, it folds small but is much heavy then the chameleon ( have no idea about the axis thing though?! Is definatly just as versatile and easy to spin and push etc)

Jojobells1986 Tue 01-Jan-13 07:31:19

On the puncture issue, you can get something that cyclists use in their tyres to stop them deflating. I think it's called 'slime'. We need to get some for our buggy but having large air-filled back tyres does mean it has a bit of off-road capability!

Lol ah the mine field, it's worse then
New cars!!!
Happy new year everyone, I did see in midnight but was in bed! X

Thunderthunderthundercats Tue 01-Jan-13 10:24:36

Happy New Year my former bus mates! x x

This thread is not accepting new messages.