Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The 2nd broadly Gemini luxury bus.

(1000 Posts)

Welcome aboard, for the trip that will take us into the 2nd trimester and beyond, Make yourself comfy as we head towards maternity clothes, new bras, blooming, bumps, scans, and fading ms. Full of chatting, moaning tmi and mutual support.

Here is the link to our last bus.

Welcome Places. Love the name. It's one of my favorite books. It would be pretty hard to hurt your baby! They are so well protected and are growing beautifully to have made it this far. Having scans are always totally up to the parents because we really don't know what the effects are on the fetus. So keep that in mind if you're feeling a bit off about having one. I always say that you should consider how you would react and feel if there was bad news that came up. Do you think you would consider terminating the pregnancy if there were structural anomalies? Do you feel like you would keep the baby but it would make you feel very worried for the rest of your pregnancy or would you be okay with more invasive testing? Do you feel like you could be okay with knowing and possibly finding parent and family groups in your area and make the best of it? Every woman reacts really differently to this type of news and you should think about how you would deal with good or bad news. My guess is that they are ordering the scan so that they can date the pregnancy based on the baby's size.

Sorry missed blendings post, just caughts pears as I was going to quickly update the same thing, hope your ok, it sounds like it would be fine but glad your getting the reasurance check!
Hi oh, did you not know you were pregnant then? Bit confused

OhThePlacesYoullGo Mon 03-Dec-12 20:06:56

Sorry, no I guess I didn't really know. Had a terrible last few days when I realised that I definitely am pregnant and only told my boyfriend last night. So today made appointment with GP for tomorrow and saw my neurologist who kindly saw me after work (as we work in the same department). I have epilepsy and should have taken 5mg of folic acid well before conception to help avoid neural tube defects which are more likely because of the medication I take. We did not plan this pregnancy and it has come as massive shock, so am still getting my head around the idea.

What alot you've had to take in!! Well it sounds like your in good hands, I know alot of people who have found out late, a friend of mine was 17wks when she found out, had not been taking any frolic etc and was on meds for diabetes, I know it's not the same thing but it was fine for her and she'd been drinking etc etc fx you will get good news

OhThePlacesYoullGo Mon 03-Dec-12 20:45:29

My boyfriend is still at lecture; just want him to come home as I have a ridiculous amount of stuff going around my head and nobody to talk to about it.

Blending Mon 03-Dec-12 20:53:31

Evening, just got back and everything is fine, nice long closed cervix, couldn't scan me this evening so I have to go back tomorrow for a reassurence scan. I have my NT scan on Wednesday so I'll see them twice in 24 hours, all being well. Dsis came as DH still in the Netherlands.

Quite a long wait at EPU as 2 ladies were brought in who were very ill, so obviously got priority, but they put us in a nice private room whilst we waited so we could sit on the couch and not the hard plastic chairs, very considerate of my backpain.

They've given me codine for the pain, as the paracetamol wasn't working. The lovely dr said if I take 2 at bedtime they will knock me out slightly so I can sleep better.

Welcome Oh!

I need food! Catch up with more later x

peardrop2 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:45:15

Blending wonderful that you have been seen and reassured grin

Lorelei353 Tue 04-Dec-12 10:07:33

Blending glad to hear you're getting some reassurance.

Welcome places. Love the name too. A great book! Hope you're doing okay. Your GP will be able to talk you through everything today and answer all your question. You'll feel much calmer after a chat with them I'm sure. Your scan will probably be booked in pretty quickly and you'll feel much better after that.

Is anyone else still getting twingy pains? Yesterday on and off and a lot last night I was getting achy twinges on my lower right side of my abdomen - very low, like level with my hip bone almost. I was getting pain there a while back but it had gone away. More growing pains? My DH was quite concerned but it's not sharp and I've no bleeding or anything so I didn't want to overreact. He did put my feet up, put a blanket over me and brought my ginger nuts and milk though. Bless him.

MrsBri Tue 04-Dec-12 10:39:31

Lorelei, I get that achey kind of sensation / discomfort quite often. And have from the beginning.

I've started to worry if I don't have it!

Blending Tue 04-Dec-12 11:08:09

Lorelei, I'd say perfectly normal too, I've all kinds of niggles and jiggles which are par for the course. Doesn't stop me thinking Hmmm.....

As for me I had my first proper lie-in since I can remember. I actually stayed in bed until 10.00 (I don't work Tuesdays) Then when I awoke I had to shoot downstairs to let the poor doggies out! blush they were nearly crossing their paws.

So off to my scan this afternoon, my brother is coming as my sister has an important meeting an hour before, so I'm dragging the whole family into this palava. I'm not expecting anything bad, just reassurence, but still dont want to alone just in case. I asked my Mum if she'd like to come but her dentures are being repaired and she wont leave the house gummy! As for my Dad you'd have thought I'd asked if he wanted to see my fanjo!

Can't wait until DD & DH come home tonight. Missing them so so much, I just want to be cuddled by them both.

Lorelei353 Tue 04-Dec-12 11:13:01

Thanks for the reassurance ladies.

Blending Good luck today. A lie-in sounds very promising indeed. I'm sure all will be fine. grin

Librarina Tue 04-Dec-12 12:35:22

I knew we'd be all a-flutter about the latest Gemini baby (not you Places, although welcome to the thread, congratulations and I hope everything goes very well.... the good thing about finding out late is that you're over the early-days hump of nausea/aches/not being able to do anything and straight into the 2nd Tri fun of blooming, growing and smugly patting your tummy)

Blending crash sounds scary but I am pleased for your nice closed cervix! The only time I've ever bumped into someone, the lady was so nice I sat by the road and cried!

Peardrop I hear what you say about not being able to relax into it. I think for me the whole thing has been so abstract that I wasn't really able to believe it was true until I saw the little wriggly bean on the screen. I eat plain yoghurt on rice when I have heartburn. In fact you'd be amazed at the things I can put plain yoghurt on.

Off for lunch now. I want a smoked salmon sandwich, I hope that's allowed!

OhThePlacesYoullGo Tue 04-Dec-12 12:49:39

Librarina, I am still sick pretty much everyday. My boyfriend said that apparently this can actually last throughout the entire pregnancy. Not an appealing thought. I am also constantly tired, though this may be related to the fact that I am often up studying until the middle of the night.

I looked at some of the pictures you guys put up. That is so weird, I mean it's a real baby already isn't it.

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Tue 04-Dec-12 13:43:15

Hey lib smoked salmon is on the can have list. Yay.
places it shouldnt last all pregnancy. and should hopefully decrease as you head into the 2nd trimester. Isn't it fab that they are all fully formed with fingers and toes (although still growing lots of technical details as it were)
lorelei I associate the twingy pains with bump growth. But I am getting the sharp twinges when I stand up/move too quickly.

Have I been productive on my day off I hear you ask, ha, yeah right , just woken up from a lovely nap, and off to friends for coffee and a natter. grin

Strangely bubs is awake, just been lying here and getting odd but definate feelings, that must be bubs doing somersaults. It feels strange to feel recognise them so early on.

Jojobells1986 Tue 04-Dec-12 14:10:31

Even more weird than it being a proper baby is that, at 14 weeks today, my baby can now wee inside me. Think about that for a minute! grin

Lorelei353 Tue 04-Dec-12 14:36:24

Oh my god jojo you just made me laugh out loud at my desk. That's hilarious. I didn't know that! But then I'm 13 + 2 so haven't read the 14 weeks stuff yet. That's just too funny grin.

places don't let your boyfriend scare you. Nausea that lasts longer than the first trimester isn't very common. It should ease soon. And the fatigue is totally normal at this stage. If you'd joined us earlier on you'd have seen this place was a ghost town after 9.30 as we were all asleep. smile It is weird that they're real babies already. I had my scan last week and couldn't believe that I could see a perfect little face.

Lorelei353 Tue 04-Dec-12 15:12:39

Just got an email confirming the details of a Christmas 'lunch' I'm going to tomorrow. I say 'lunch' because we're apparently leaving the office at 11, to meet a colleague in a pub for a drink at 11.30 before heading to the venue. We're not expected back to the office at all in the afternoon.

It's a big industry thing and not strictly related to my role but a director invited me to it this year. Typical. The one year I get to go I can't drink! I'll sit and watch everyone else get completely pissed! It'll be good fun anyway but typical timing. grin

peardrop2 Tue 04-Dec-12 15:28:19

Thanks for all your heartburn tips ladies! trumpets the almonds and milk seem to help! The yoghurt not so much but I think it was too thick to swallow easily.

peardrop2 Tue 04-Dec-12 15:29:17

Sorry forgot to say welcome ohtheplaces

Lor Sod's law smile

peardrop2 Tue 04-Dec-12 15:38:46

Is anyone else struggling to bend over? I'm not big at all so I don't get why this seems like a big task!

Blending Tue 04-Dec-12 16:13:09

Saw the little wrigglers! Only briefly but 2 hearts pumping nice and fast!

My brother was sat in the corner grinning away. The sonographer had difficulty in getting measurements,due to the postions and they are measuring 12+3 (59.7mm) and 12+6 (65.8mm) but I'm not too concerned in the difference, I should be 12+1 and know may exact dates as its IVF.

It took her forever to get the measurements as they were in the way of each other, so I'm allowing a margin of error.

I did get a photo but you can see nothing at all, not even a vague outline.
During the scan one of them you could see clearly waving its little arms!

Oh and I get to do it all over again tomorrow for the NT scan!

Lorelei353 Tue 04-Dec-12 16:44:42

blending that's great! So pleased for you. Sounds like they're curled up together all cosy smile

MrsBri Tue 04-Dec-12 17:50:12

Awww, Blending, that's so lovely :-) It's great they have company!

Wooo! Yay! So glad you found something that works, pear.

Also fabulous news on the healthy little ones, Blending! Speaking of twins I saw this link on Twins in the womb It's so cool to see them in action together!

Yeay for the cuddlers!! X

This thread is not accepting new messages.