Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Jan 2013 Part 5: Once we pop (on time!), we just won't stop!

(986 Posts)

New thread! I've lost my lovely spreadsheet <sob> so if someone can add in the stats and update, that would be wonderful; I'm sure someone else had a spreadsheet that was as anally organised as me

BuntysFestiveCollocks Tue 18-Dec-12 12:58:46

I've created a new thread here as we're just over 10 messages from capacity here!

pmgkt hope all is well; your baby is going to have a fabulous birthdate! I'm quite jealous, would love it If mine popped out then as well:20/12/2012. Even cooler that 12/12/12!

pmgkt Tue 18-Dec-12 12:05:30

24 its Thursday for a section but these last few days are dragging. They have decided to do an extra trace today due to an eptopic heartbeat but that's as exciting as the day gets. Someone did give birth last night on the antenatel ward, didn't have time to make it to labour ward!

BuntysFestiveCollocks Tue 18-Dec-12 12:04:21

<waves to birdies> glad you and naughty baby are ok!

katolla Tue 18-Dec-12 12:03:46

silver, back to back is easier to fix than breech so as long as the baby is head down you should be ok. The NCT email I got yesterday advised me to always sit forward to get the baby front to back, easier said than done I think!? And I got a pregnancy tankini in mothercare sale for £7 in the summer, thinking i'd be swimming all the time. Haven't used it yet but they did have another sale now and had some cheap swimming costumes. That's not so useful for the actual birth though..

Thanks to whoever suggested Boots for the maternity pads. I made DP carry them all home smile

birdiesinthesnow Tue 18-Dec-12 11:15:08

Hi everyone. Just been catching up. Where's allchik?! I hope she has exciting news for us soon.

Well I ended up in hospital yesterday with protein in urine and high blood pressure. Was there until gone midnight as baby was dancing for so long and heart rate very high. Eventually settled a bit and I got to go home. Got to bed after 1am and was absolutely knackered. Then suddenly I was WIDE AWAKE! Typical. Anyway, I have to wee in a bottle for the next 24 hours now. Was in a mild panic though as gp who referred me said they might want to induce me. In some ways it's been a good wake up call to get all final house bit sorted. Also gave DD's grandma and grandpa practice of doing her evening routine and getting her to sleep so I'm less worried about all that now.

lora hope your tooth is ok. Did you see a dentist about it? When I've had really bad wisdom toothache I've had to have antibiotics and it fixed the pain really quickly.

silver plenty of time still for baby to move so hopefully will be fine. I think DD was back to back though and it was ok with relaxation techniques and a tens machine.

<waves to everyone else>

bealos Tue 18-Dec-12 10:31:44

Hi silver sounds like you're nearly there... Spinning Babies is a good site to look at for helping the baby move into a better position.

Your suggestion of a tankini made me think of a story a midwife told me where a lady was in her knickers til the very last minute and the the midwife had to say "you can't have this baby with your pants on!". Hee hee.

SilverSixpence Tue 18-Dec-12 09:29:01

Hi everyone,
have been off this thread for a few months but I'm trying to catch up! I'm 35w today, have been told the baby is back to back confused Apparently it means a longer more painful labour so have been trying to get the baby into a better position. I'm not sure its working though, I got a right wallop in the ribs last night and scared DH half to death!

Going to visit the new birth centre at the hospital next week, I'm hoping to use the pool for pain relief. Will need to get a tankini - has anyone bought one? I've packed my bag but baby's stuff is still all in packaging, I'll have to get on with washing it all soon. I'm too busy enjoying being off work and doing bits of baby knitting and sale shopping online grin

Complicated24 Mon 17-Dec-12 21:14:27

Hope all going well AllChik.

Pmgkt is it Friday you are being induced, or was it CSection? You are coping so well with the extended stay in hospital. All getting very exciting and scarily imminent now.

Marasme I am equally in dark how to check for pelvis engagement. MW told me baby is head down with back to my front so in right position, but haven't got a clue how you she worked this out.

I am ready for little one to arrive now. I developed really painful sciatica on Friday so am far less mobile than I was and that's doing my head in. The thought of not being able to stand up properly during labour is feeling me with dread as think I will want to be as mobile as possible. I don't think I will be very good lying on a bed or being still.

Have nearly finished Christmas shopping (doing it all online this year) so that's a relief. Am going to venture out to buy nursing bras tomorrow. Thought I would go to Mothercare as can drive there, but not actually bought any maternity clothes from Mothercare yet. Any advice/top tips on what's important in a nursing bra? Am being waxed and having a pedicure on Thursday, then that's me ready for labour!!!

MarasmeAbsolu Mon 17-Dec-12 20:47:42

Thanks Apple - she is just a bit more concerned about herself than she is of me (it is actually illegal for me to do certain "bits" of my work while being pregnant. Yet she happily turns a blind eye on it - I cannot blame her, I pretty much drives this, as not doing it would cost me too much. But it does show the kind of management I have).

TBH, being at home would mean staring or attempting to tackle the building mess (dust, mess and all). Work is more appealing, as long as people can just let me get on with my stuff without poking poking poking.

I can recommend the ikea air purifier thingy (patrull I think) for those doing building work and struggling with the dust. It really helped us here.

Happy - glad to know it was a freak incident. Hope the dinner will be good (everything tastes good when you do not have to make it!).

Otherwise, baby's head was completely "free" at 37 weeks. I am now getting massive inward "kicks" down there and wondering whether things are moving at all (they did not whatsoever last time).
Does anyone actually now if it is possible / how to check for pelvis engagement? When she does it, the midwife seems to just have a quick feel before returning her verdict. Not sure what I should be looking for...

pmgkt Mon 17-Dec-12 20:32:50

Positive news then happy.

I'm struggling with really painful ribs and heartburn tonight, thank goodness its only a few more days

happyhow Mon 17-Dec-12 20:15:13

I'm 37wks today. Dr just been round and thinks it was a bit of a freak reading with all the stress I've had over the weekend and this morning. She'll take it again before I go home to be sure and will possibly get the midwife to come to me tomorrow too. Just need to wait on bloods and urine sample results as had leukocytes and blood in urine this afternoon.

Totally getting into my jammies when I get home though and mother in law has dinner in the Aga for us coming home too! smile

marasme wow your HoD doesn't sound very nice! Hope you finally get some time to yourself soon.

happy hope everything ok.

mama glad you enjoyed your shopping. I have to finish mine before Friday as there is no way I can get anything done with 3 dcs in tow!

bealos that sounds exciting!

Went to see ds2 show tonight. That's my last except for having to drop ds2 off for his last performance tomorrow. He did really well but deputy head went on too long at the end he got bored and started messing about (on stage) and chatting to the girl playing the donkey! Was trying to telepathically tell him to shhh and sit still!

bealos Mon 17-Dec-12 19:22:34

Agggh to Christmas shopping! Am just writing some frantic lists and looking on (evil) Amazon.

MamaMary Mon 17-Dec-12 19:14:21

Did final xmas shopping today - DD was in nursery so it was lovely just to mooch around myself without having to keep her happy at the same time. Exhausted when I came home though!

Happyhow, how many weeks are you? With DD1, I was sent into hospital with high BP and I ended up being kept in and induced: I was 37 weeks. The medication to bring my BP down didn't work and I had the complication of having had premature rupture meaning there were concerns about not enough fluid round DD1.

Glad to hear you all need as much sleep as I do - I slept in till 10.20 this morning! Can only do this on a Monday when DD's at nursery mind you. Will try and get an early night tonight.

godzookey Mon 17-Dec-12 19:02:51

hi Ladies,
So i've got final NCT class tonight - thank god, the 10pm finish just does me in now! Attempted to do a little shopping today but it's impossible, it took me 2 hours to do 3 shops and then had to come home and nap for the rest of the afternoon so have decided to do rest online!

Finished work on Friday which was great and got lovely changing bag and baby's first book plus £40 Rush vouchers so am going to get my roots done on Wednesday afternoon - let's just hope nothing kicks off with my head covered in foils smile

Happyhow - hope you're getting lots of rest and BP has started to come down x

MarasmeAbsolu Mon 17-Dec-12 18:44:23

Lora - bit bottom lip and look at the floor; you do not want all that hard work to go to waste smile
Happy - hope all is well and that you are going home soon...

Finding it very difficult to move myself around work at the moment, and to deal with boisterous DD who just loves to play rough, bump into me, yank my arm etc.
Had a quick meeting with my HoD today, who is shitting herself that I will bugger off in a week time, leaving a load of shit that noone can deal with to, well... noone. My job is not the type you get cover for, or at least no cover for the main bit of it.

But basically, she is trying to angle it so that I can do as much as poss for as long as poss - very kind indeed!

Everyone is leaving on holidays at various point this week, so I pretty much do not expect any presentation / good-byes do for mat leave. Second pregnancy is much much less "special" in this way compared to the first one...

I still need to take my group for lunch this week, and my present will be a huge giant bill to fork out. Not looking forward to that!

Lora1982 Mon 17-Dec-12 18:13:16

Oooh still no allchick news?! Exciting! Its my last day at work tomorrow and it couldnt come soon enough. My ankles and feet are a mess my wisdom tooth has had me in tears and im exhausted.. Got some amazing cakes made by a girl i know for everyone tomoz ewith little baby things on the top and my friend warned me they are doing my leaving gift presentation at about 12 so i neeed to prepare myself not to cry and ruin my hard sarcastic bitch persona thats taken years to master.

bealos Mon 17-Dec-12 17:53:04

happy I guess they need to be careful... pre-eclampsia and all that. You're in the right place.

happyhow Mon 17-Dec-12 17:39:32

I'm now currently sitting in hospital as my BP was pretty high at my 37wk appointment this afternoon. It's been some day... Will be here for at least a couple of hours as have to get bloods done etc and they want to monitor my BP for a while as it's been creeping up over the last few weeks.

At least I had nothing planned for this evening...

bealos Mon 17-Dec-12 17:35:05

Do you think the worrying is excitement of sorts? 'Can't wait to meet baby' stuff?

Hilariously, I've been doing interviews with press today about the home birth team being shrunk and me no longer getting the midwife I've been with throughout my pregnancy. The Evening Standard is just about to turn up and photograph me. I'm not entirely sure how this happened.

happyhow Mon 17-Dec-12 15:09:55

Very relieved... Didn't really want ECV or a section so good all round! Off to my normal midwife appointment now!

Fantastic news Happy, you must feel really relieved!

happyhow Mon 17-Dec-12 13:06:46

Woohoo!! Baby's not breech after all - just has a really boney bum!!!! grin 4/5 engaged so that's good. Have above average fluid though so going back for a scan on Hogmanay to check that. They said it's nothing to worry about though, they just want to be sure it's not getting worse but Baby is measuring on 50th percentile so they are happy overall.

Hopefully I will get a nap this afternoon to catch up on the sleep I lost worrying!

Happy How did your scan go?

octanegirl Mon 17-Dec-12 11:29:02

Ooohhhh another lady from my NCT class had her baby (about a week early - the other NCT lady was 2 weeks early). Wowzers!

I'm still worrying all the time but reassured that everyone else is too....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now