Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2013 thread 2 - Are your jeans feeling snug yet?

(1000 Posts)
PseudoBadger Sun 11-Nov-12 19:14:37

New thread for June 2013 smile

MrsBri Thu 03-Jan-13 14:05:19

Bit of a shock to the system after sunshine, Oli.

I wake with a headache every day. It usually subsides once I eat / drink. They can be persistent though.

Must remember to mention it to midwife on Monday.

Maybe I'll finish even earlier based on that study. My work / workplace is stressful, and I really don't want to harm bubs at all :-/

arlandria666 Thu 03-Jan-13 14:18:03

pinkapples that's the same as me i am looking at being back at work mid September but but baby will be with me too i think it makes such a difference i couldn't afford to have much longer off i am just lucky that my job means the baby will still be in the same building as me horrible thought still tho as they will still be so young x m

DontmindifIdo Thu 03-Jan-13 14:53:58

Redwelly, just make it as easy for yourself as you can! If you can work from home at all some days to avoid having to commute, and most people do start handing over a little earlier, normally the last week or so is quite relaxing as you've handed over a lot already...

SunnyL - buses/trains for getting between villages? You probably will find if you live in a village location your NCT group will be from a few different ones as it's unlikely there'll be enough woman to make a class all due at the same time in your village (unless something interesting happened in your village in September...), but we often car shared to meet ups anyway.

MrsBri Thu 03-Jan-13 15:09:49

Surely it would be something not very interesting happening, meaning everyone got shagging! ;-p

We are off to see a bungalow tomorrow lunch time. I do quite like the idea of a bungalow, it has to be said.

It has a large garden and workshop in the garage, which DH will bloody love!

Not sure on number of bedrooms as my current landlord found it for me with another local agent. They're both old school estate agents, so must have connections. Quite sweet of my landlord really, as he didn't have to do that :-)

AmIGoingMad Thu 03-Jan-13 15:47:12

Redwelly poor you feeling so down. I can relate as am just gearing up to go bk to work after mild bout of antenatal depression. So hard to understand when you're so happy with everything but just cant shake that out of body feeling.Try to rest as much as you can- not easy with little one around. Talk to your gp too- mine's been amazingly supportive. I was worrying that my stressing Would have bad effect on baby and he really reassured me! Sending big hugs to you!
Mrsbri- hope you like the bungalow tomorrow!
Forgot to ask earlier- did any of you watch one born last night when it started back? I've seen half so far and was a bit obsessed last time. Can't decide if its a good or bad thing to watch it!!!

SunnyL Thu 03-Jan-13 16:17:05

AmI - I watch that programme religiously. I keep telling DH which type of woman I would like to be when in labour. Last night I had such admiration for the hippy woman did it all naturally despite her inept husband not finding the buzzer to get the midwife.

I've been told the closest pain to childbirth is passing a kidney stone. I've passed 12 in the last 10 years and can't exactly say I've done it with such control as that woman last night. My worst was when I was thrashing about in pain, headbutted my husband and then shouted at him cos my head hurt. Female logic. You can't beat it.

AmIGoingMad Thu 03-Jan-13 16:22:55

Haha! Did you also see the what happened next episode catching up with last series babies and parents? Only caught the first of two catch ups and one of my faves was on there- again she was exactly how I'd have liked to have been. Needless to say I didn't quite manage that last time tho! grin

Sunbeam18 Thu 03-Jan-13 17:44:21

Can I ask everyone if they are thinking of doing nct classes? I've found a few suitable ones in and around Edinburgh, but haven't yet committed. The cost is a bit off-putting (about £150!!) and I worry about them being a bit too yummy mummy, iykwim. I know it can be a good way to meet other new parents though, even if they push the 'natural' agenda a bit too heavily. Lots of my friends felt real anger towards their nct leaders after their births as they were given totally unrealistic expectations

AmIGoingMad Thu 03-Jan-13 17:48:50

I didn't book early enough last time around so missed out as they were full up. Whilst I found the Nhs class fine for birth prep I do wish I'd signed up earlier for nct one for the social side of things- it would have been a good way to meet local mums at same stage as me. Don't really feel that I can justify that cost this time around as it would be purely for social reasons. If I had the cash spare I would though x

pinkapples Thu 03-Jan-13 18:01:15

Thick I know but can someone explain the NCT thing and what it is? I'm a bit of a hermit with no mates outside work an love the idea I might be able to meet some whilst pregnant. It's not that I'm not social but I just don't get out at all sad

I wish we could do nct purely as a way to meet friends but none of the course dates near us fit around DHs work. I don't know many people round where we live so hoping to meet some mums at baby and toddler groups after instead.

olimoss Thu 03-Jan-13 18:12:54

We've already signed up for an NCT class in April next year - seems but early but our bit of West London borders yummy mummy shudder territory and we were advised to get in early. Cost nearly £300 with NCT membership.

Tbh am anticipating it'll be more helpful in providing info to my bf and hoping to meet at least one other PLU couple. We're not very yummy, more likely to misbehave in the class.....!

olimoss Thu 03-Jan-13 18:13:21

Shit - April THIS year I mean. Gawd....

Withalittlesparkle Thu 03-Jan-13 18:47:11

Talking of NCT where does everyone actually live?

Sunbeam18 Thu 03-Jan-13 18:48:52

Pink, nct is national childbirth trust and it's a charity for everything related to pregnancy, birth, etc. It's a charity but they charge high fees for their courses. The courses are similar, I think, to ones offered by the nhs but are more likely to attract the middle classes. I may be wrong about this so others correct me if necessary please! The classes cover pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding. From what I hear it's a fairly hippy agenda that is promoted, with some focus on minimal pain relief! On the positive side, they are supposed to be a good way of meeting people who are due to have babies around the same time in the same area. X

ella0 Thu 03-Jan-13 18:56:59

Good luck with the move, MrsBri, I'm sure it'll work out for you.

Arlandria, I'm 18 weeks and I've just felt flutters so far. It varies from day to day as one day I'll feel them a fair bit, but then there'll be nothing for a few days. We've just got an AngelSounds doppler to put my mind at rest (we've found it very easy to use and we found the heartbeat almost straight away).

Thanks Aloha, AmI and dreamy smile.

Witha, I'm planning on starting maternity leave 3 weeks before my due date and I'm also using up a couple of weeks annual leave before that (but I'm not planning on going back; I'll take a 'career break' so I have the option of going back in 5 years), so my last day will be towards the end of April.

AmI, I watched One Born and will continue to do so.

Pinkapples, I didn't know anything about NCT either. How's it different to the NHS classes? I have 4 NHS ones to go to and the mums will be around the same stage as me as you go during certain weeks of pregnancy. I've just seen your post, sunbeam - thanks for the info.

dreamydays Thu 03-Jan-13 19:11:34

Thanks for advice on holidays dontmind and others. Sensible I suppose not to go away after 32 weeks - I just feel like a week's warm escape before our lives get thrown upside down in June! Fed up of the grey weather I suppose. But maybe we could just go somewhere quite local (we live in France anyway but in a cold/grey bit!).

I also met fab people on maternity leave last time, people I would have got on with even if we didn't happen to be having babies at the same time. They're now some of my best friends, although we've moved country since then. I was lonely at the very beginning as everyone I knew was at work during the day, but that soon changed - as you say, you have to make the effort to get out of the house.

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Thu 03-Jan-13 19:19:01

Pretty good description of nct. I took the classes with ds1. My friend also did a new baby class they offer. Didn't really learn anything from nct or nhs that I hadn't already read on mumsnet! grin

My nhs class only had a couple of other people attending and they weren't interested in chatting or arranging a meet up. My nct class has provided 7 best friends. The dads did meet ups too. Was nice for them to swap stories and speak to people in similar situations. Until people went back to work everyone (mums and babies) met once a week and attended some baby classes together. They were my lifeline in the early days. Although the class was very earth mama, we had a good mix of ff, breastfeeding, cloth nappy users, disposable users etc...

pinkapples Thu 03-Jan-13 19:20:17

Thanks for the info ill look into it I think may be handy grin I'm in Wiltshire bath/Trowbridge way

Might get a Doppler but will panic a bit if I don't find baby's heartbeat

redwellybluewelly Thu 03-Jan-13 19:20:49

I did nct girly time and it was a real let down so please don't feel you can't meet similar people while on maternity leave.

I think the description as a middle class bit hippy agenda was true but has changed and certainly varies month to month and on location.

I have stayed in touch with one mum but our DD was very very sick when born and I genuinely don't think the rest of the group knew what to say. They were talking about pretty clothes and buggy fit and we had a nicu baby with a 50% chance of survival.

redwellybluewelly Thu 03-Jan-13 19:21:29

Girly time? first time

Sarah2506 Thu 03-Jan-13 21:14:52

Hello, went to see consultant today. Took one look at medical history and booked straight in for C section on 7th June! They took out a diary and said, 'so when would you like to have your baby?' WHEN WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR BABY!!! This blew my mind. Am I the first here to know they are having a Section?

The fact I know exactly when - 39 weeks exactly - does make planning easier. I will finish work on 30th April, and then have a months leave before a years mat leave. I'm north London and the journey in already does my head in.

I'll be doing NCT for the social aspect only. I'm not sure the classes will be of any use at all given the section. I guess there is a chance I am away from home and its early but I've been told they would just whip me in for a section the day my waters break.

Everything else was good, heard the heart beat. Bad news was they had 'forgotten' to schedule a 20 week scan and had bugger all appointments left so now I have to go in at an ungodly hour on 20+6. Admittedly this is in part because I'm on our Babymoon in SE Asia from 18-20 weeks but still can't believe they forgot!! Paying for gender scan on Sunday so we would know whether he or she before we head off on hols!

xx

redwellybluewelly Thu 03-Jan-13 21:42:26

I was offered a cs date when we had the 12 week scan at start of December.

As yet haven't decided wether I will go down that route yet, but the consultant was very firm about his thoughts.

Nct is better in bigger areas for sure!

Sarah2506 Thu 03-Jan-13 21:45:12

Redwelly - why do you need a cs? No worries if not happy to share, just interested!

DontmindifIdo Thu 03-Jan-13 21:48:29

new thread!

we're just about to run out of space!

This thread is not accepting new messages.