Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

March 2013 VIII: feeling kicks, comparing knits and halfway there

(982 Posts)
theTramp Sat 03-Nov-12 23:24:19
myjobismum Sun 04-Nov-12 20:00:06

Another one who has breastfed very successfully with 2 children but struggled to express tiny amounts, am not going to even worry about that this time around as it caused me so much previous upset!

I officially have a cold and feel rubbish - oh deep joy!

Stealth - am thinking of you, will watch out for updates tomorrow, wishing you all the best x

sundae no you're not don't be silly!!! And thanks for your kind words.
countmy blessings likewise thankyou I know u have also been thru tough times - so many people have.
Will keep you all posted. Just praying the result is "negative" don't want to even think further.

And thanks to everyone else for your thoughts it does help.....

Oodthunkit Sun 04-Nov-12 20:30:27

(((*stealth*)))

zoeymlucas Sun 04-Nov-12 20:39:43

Blimey that was a lot of catching up- chatter boxes!!!!

I officially hate Sundays it's as if my body gets to Sunday and can't keep going a second longer and Sunday is just headache, being sick and feeling rubbish!!!! Had a snooze this afternoon and woke up to the fact DH had bought boys a blinking cockatail that's currently squawking away- DS2 keep pointing and sayin cat and then making a dog sound so it's going to be one confused bird!!!! Just sat down for dinner and mum phoned and asked us to come over (5.30) as she had a problem, drove the 20 mins and they had bought a new tv and didn't know how to tune it in- not sure that counts as urgent!!!!!!!!! Now finally in bed watching a DVD wrapping present for DS1 birthday on Wednesday!

Will be thinking of you tomorrow Stealth and will be sat waiting for you to post your good news smile

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sun 04-Nov-12 20:44:49

Stealth (((hugs))) very very good luck tomorrow- I have everything crossed for you.

Sundae I had the exact same feelings that have now turned into kicks- when I saw my scan it was wear Turkish was laying! I think Manda had the same feeling too.

And tuning a tv?? That is awful. Hardly an emergency- even if X factor is on!!

Stealth, all the very best for tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

Yes, sofa is sort of recovered! It's a darkish brown leather so not too noticeable, but grrrr, bloody kids!

Sorry still not caught up. Am at home with DD tomorrow so will make it my mission to do so! X

FloweryBoots Sun 04-Nov-12 21:00:52

Stealth Thinking of you lots and hoping for the best. you're doing so well.
Sundae Sorry you're finding it so tough. It's not an easy time and your feelings are normally, and perfectly acceptable and reasonable. For what it's worth, I'd not been panicking before 20 week scan, but certainly hadn't felt excited, and it didn't really feel real (hard to explain exactly what I mean) but since the scan it does all seem to have solidified for me and I've actually started thinking about having a baby in another few months, not just that I'm pregnant and sick and an actual baby just not coming into it! In short I feel happier and more excited after scan so hope you will too! Not long now.

Zoey Hope it's a cockatoo (sp?!) not a cocktail?! grin Had visions of your DH having bought inappropriate drinks for your children rather than pets! Isn't it your boy who has the dragon thingumy too?

Is it only me that is cold now and needs a big thick wolly maternity jumper, with long sleves? Because it would seem no where sells one!

Thanks for everyones tips on moving and advice for curtains and appliances, lots of useful info. Quick question. If removal firm pack for you, do you litterally just leave the house in it's usual (in my case rather disorganised fashion) and they pack the lot? all the random bits of crap in the backs of draws and cupboards that don't live in logical places etc.? Can't quite imagine not still needing to do a lot of work before they turned up.

LexiandBeanette Sun 04-Nov-12 21:09:34

Flowery answer on movers is 'It depends'. We had a package which meant we packed precious stuff in a few marked boxes, and they literally did everything else. However I made DH help me clear out everything first as I didn't want to move loads of crap with us (he's a hoarder!) wink I think you can decide whether you want the lot doing, or just certain things.

Agree with all of you that borrowing/buying from a friend would be OK I think. It's the idea of a random one of eBay that bothers me! And thanks for the advice; I might see how I get on before I buy one, was advised to get one early by another friend but equally don't want to spend the money if it doesn't work out for me. Thanks ladies.

zoey hope you feel better soon!

zoeymlucas Sun 04-Nov-12 21:14:18

Yeah a cockatoo, lol!!! Thanks flowery and yes my eldest also has a bearded dragon, think my DH is turning my house into a blinking petty zoo!!!

theTramp Sun 04-Nov-12 21:18:01

Lexi - I am totally with you. No way on Gods earth am I buying a second hand breast pump. I have however, rather handily, bought pregnancy & baby magazine (bathtime reading fun, well it is fun unless you read the 'real' women stories. Written as if talking to someone who is a bit slow. It is driving me mad. I am pregnat not stupid!) which has - dum dum dummmmm a breast pump review. Really helpful as it provided me with info that I genuinely did not previously know. I'll summarise for you:

- hand pumps great if you don't need to use them very often
- electronic pumps only worth purchasing if you are going to use them a lot and from early days. (And as I am planning on being back in work within 6 weeks that'd be me).
- In addition, each pump is reviewed by actual Mums and a score prpvided. Includes info on ease of use, ease of cleaning and how well it locks on to nipple.

Reading it made me feel like a whole new world was opening up to me. Not necessarily one I was thrilled about seeing, but bit late now smile

Stealth - the pains etc are likely to be a combo of round ligament pain and trapped wind. Basically, growing pains and the sort of wind pain that you probaby haven't experienced since being a wee human. BUT if you are worried, call midwife, pop in, get checked out. You are allowed to do this. And considering history, it would take an unfathomably callous individual to do more than pop you down, find a heart beat and reassure you.

Stealth - thinking of you my dear and will be thinking of you all day tomorrow too. Wishing you nothing but the most positive of thoughts and hope the results come early so that you're not fretting all day.

Blimey - that was a heck of a vat of soup!

I feel very productive, despite my lazy morning. One fresh cream vanilla sponge cake delivered to neighbours for their tea & cake open-house for new home party.
One chocolate fudge cake with gnache made for us to try out (see if it is worth making for friends baby shower next week).
One roast dinner cooked, with lamb for MrM and vegetarian pie for me.
YUM!

Now have full family quota on sofa as Betty (usually shy and too wary of MrM to sit near him) is my little shadow because she doesn't like the firework bangs. So we have a Betty and MrM to my left and a B doing her best violin impression because she's darned if Betty is going to appear to get more attention than her (sigh). And we have a marvellous view from our window of everyone elses lovely firework displays. Not bad huh.

theTramp Sun 04-Nov-12 21:20:38

Sorry, meant to say Sundae re: pains, not Stealth. I blame the cat.

theTramp Sun 04-Nov-12 21:26:22

Flowery - not just you. I bought this: http://www.isabellaoliver.com/baukjen/uk/600/knitwear/TP540.html Which is HUGE, loads of bump room. Although I can see that if you are on shorter side it might swamp you a wee bit. Perfect for me though and only bloody thing that is warm enough. What is it with maternity jumpers all being made of poly-bloody-ester? Where's the warmth in that? Russbih.

re: movers. Only thing I did pre their arrival is wash up and sort through all the papers in my desk because my filing system for the past 5 years had been - open desk, throw in paper, shut desk. So I just sifted through that. Everything else was left precisely as was. I am fairly orderly though (don't listen to MrM or my best mate, they just don't understand my order system).

Cockatoo - crikey. Fun fun fun for the kids!

theTramp Sun 04-Nov-12 21:26:48
LexiandBeanette Sun 04-Nov-12 21:28:30

Ah Tramp I will get a copy, thank-you! Know what you mean about a whole world being opened up, somewhat unwillingly ;-)
One of my previous cats was called Betty, so sweet. Hope they aren't too spooked. I am very jealous of the cakes, as well, sound amazing! I made a banana and bourbon loaf today but I let DH cook roast supper.
Right, I am off to bed - thinking of those who are worried and sending good wishes.

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sun 04-Nov-12 21:30:09

Well I just managed a (well done) steak and potatoes and lots of veg for dinner. The second time I've managed beef this year so feeling quite proud of myself.

I have made more posters for the nursery- lots of nursery rhymes and Roald Dahl quotes that I'll have printed this week. Nice to actually be getting ready now!

I went to the baby fair at earls court last week- there is another at the end of feb I'm considering- anyone else seen it advertised?

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sun 04-Nov-12 21:31:38

Oh and my big maternity jumper is a topshop number and I love it!

theTramp Sun 04-Nov-12 21:32:28
Emus Sun 04-Nov-12 21:45:04

Marking my place, have missed quite a bit it would seem! Back from Vegas, now in Barcelona working until Thursday. Thursday seems like an AGE away though :-(

Stealth will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending a big cyber hug. Hope it's reassuring news.

Sundae you so remind me of me except that I've very little reason to be this paranoid since this is my first pregnancy. I find that in the back of my mind I'm preparing myself for bad news all the time to the point where my mum almost shouted at me to stop being so negative the other day (this was before my 20 week scan though!). I find I get worse before a scan/midwife appointment!

In fact I've been much better since my 20 week scan until this morning when I woke at 5am and realised I hadn't felt movement for a little under a day (was moving loads before). I of course googled it for a good hour or more and discovered that baby can have a growth spirt around 21 weeks so may be quiet for days (well, that's what some forums said anyway!).

I too wonder what it must be like to have a scan at 12 weeks and then just get on with it without worrying!! i hope with all my worrying that we dont end with a highly strung kid! Mind you, baby always seems quite lazy at the scans. Whoops, didn't mean to bang on!! Rest assured though Hun that you aren't alone thanks

Hope everyone is well, might join this FB group soon as feel like I'm missing out!!

theTramp Sun 04-Nov-12 22:27:27
DJH80 Sun 04-Nov-12 22:31:42

Stealth- Just wishing you the best for tomorrow

zigwig Sun 04-Nov-12 22:36:26

stealth just wanted to wish you luck for tomorrow, sending you positive vibes and hugs.

Vivee74 Mon 05-Nov-12 00:02:27

Good luck stealth.

Turkish re the baby show. We went to Wales court but only lasted an hour or so. Definitely going to spend more time at the excel one in February.

Emus Mon 05-Nov-12 04:25:52

Hi TheTramp! Vegas was great, thanks for asking! I'm pleased I've been but a week was a bit too long! It was very smokey (gross) and the food was shit (mostly junk) but was a good experience.

We did a road trip to Death Valley which was cool and took a helicopter ride over the Canyon. My favourite hotel was The Mirage as they have dolphins there! It was lovely to sit in the sun watching them do their thing and they are very well looked after :-)

pinkpeony4 Mon 05-Nov-12 07:11:56

Stealth good luck for today

Ood all of mine have been bottle refusers. Boys love boobs! I have never been consistent enough in expressing/offering the bottle because breastfeeding was much less hassle. They all stopped in the end and I can't imagine doing it differently this time either. Has your dd3 weaned yet? Boys loved Madagascar, v funny apparently! There is no way my ds3 would sit through it either. Don't even think he would tolerate the baby screening. I used to go to those all the time with ds1.

Tramp cakes sound amazing!

Re: jumpers. I have been wearing lots of waterfall style cardigans for coziness. You can get them in most shops. I haven't bought maternity ones.

Emus glad you had a good trip.

Sundae only one more sleep. Hope you are doing ok.

Zoey quite a menagerie! I have a bird phobia so a cockatoo would be the pet from hell for me! Hope it isn't too noisy?!

Flowery when we had packers I packed a small box with essentials for children, kettle, the, coffee etc.. And just let them get on with it. They packed the day before we moved and so we had a night in a house full of boxes so needed some essentials to hand.

Hope everyone is ok. Any scans today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now