Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Premature birth...

(6 Posts)
Wuxiapian Wed 31-Oct-12 14:45:37

... almost.

Last Wednesday evening I had to call delivery ward after a day of pain in back and abdmomen (at 28.3 weeks).

Went to hosp where they discovered changes to cervix and 1cm dilation. I was put on drip to halt contractions and 2 steroid injections 24 hours apart.

The contractions settled (although the backache didn't) and, after 5 days, was discharged and told to return if any further pain or water/blood loss.

I am now 29.3 and terrified about the baby coming at any time.

Has anyone else had this/similar experience with threat of/and early delivery?

Many thanks in advance.

confuddledDOTcom Wed 31-Oct-12 15:00:44

Hi Wuxiapian, yup, been there!

I suffer from an irritable uterus and all my babies have been early so it can be quite difficult to know where I am in pregnancy. My second daughter tried to come at 23+6 (contractions and a positive fibronectin) they put me on the drip and gave me steroids, after 5 days I was released from hospital but was back once a fortnight with the IU contractions. I went to 35 weeks with her, which is the longest I've gone.

As an impatient mummy my advice is to rest as much as possible, do everything opposite to what they say to help baby get into position! As you have had the steroid injections any time baby comes from next week isn't too bad, once I have the 3 in the number I'm happy! If you can get to 32 weeks baby will have a suckle reflex so you can work on getting them feeding straight away, from 34 weeks you're likely to spend a week in hospital making sure that baby is going the right way (maintaining temperature, growing, all suckle feeds) from 36 weeks you could be going home after a night or two.

Hi Wuxiapian,

My DS arrived at 31+5 after I was admitted at 29 weeks due to bleeding, and was given the steroid injections.

Neonatal care is fantastic nowadays, your baby will be in very good hands whenever they arrive smile but yes it is extra good if they can get past 30 weeks.

Why don't you ask MNHQ if they can move this to the Premature board?

Best of luck thanks smile

confuddledDOTcom Wed 31-Oct-12 20:27:08

I'd like to point out that I wasn't trying to say it's OK to have a 30 weeker, but if you're going to have a premature baby it's a good milestone to hold on for. We know I won't get past about 34 weeks and will be trying from around 24 weeks so I do hang onto getting through that magic milestone.

Wuxiapian Fri 09-Nov-12 15:17:05

Thanks for the replies.

I'm now 30.5 and hoping bump will stay put at least another few weeks.

confuddled, "rest as much as possible"? I should be so darned lucky. I have DS1, 14, and a 7 month old puppy keeping me on my toes (and knees).

I'll feel so much better once I reach 34 weeks.

confuddledDOTcom Sun 11-Nov-12 00:28:56

LOL tell me about it! I've been on bedrest for 3 weeks, I have a 6yo, 3yo and a 17mo who isn't in any form of childcare. In the last three weeks I've had to do school run at least twice a week, been to the school twice a week for PTA and violin lessons (although MIL is doing some lessons) I've had an ambulance dash to A&E with the baby, half term, the eldest two both got blockages (got to love chronic constipation in kids!) one needing to be taken to hospital... I've forgotten what else but I'm so not getting bedrest, I'm not even getting sleep and sleeping about 3 hours in the day - "fortunately" the baby is still not well and sleeping more in the day than I am!

Anyway, you have the magic 3 in the date now so anything now is good and just keeps getting better, holding on for another 3.5 weeks would be brilliant! Should be home within a week at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now