Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Christmas Puddings 2012 - one bun has left the oven, who's next?

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjInAPointyHat Tue 30-Oct-12 20:40:04

New thread!

AlisonDB Wed 31-Oct-12 20:39:09

We dont really do Haloween over here, (i kind of miss it, although we are going to a party on Sunday)

No way would i let kids eat my roses!! Lol

There is something called Sint Maarten which is lovely,
Its on November 11th and children go round house to house with paper lanterns singing Sint Maarten songs, and they get sweets for that!
Then early Decemember we have Sinterklaas, which is really the Dutch version of Christmas, there are loads of somgs, traditional sweets and little spiced biscuits called Pepernotten which are yummy!

pmgkt Wed 31-Oct-12 20:41:29

stacks i really like that idea. i was a thumb sucker and ds1 is too.

alison that sounds really sweet, i live 3 hours away from my friends, and dh's friends are not quite the same.

we had no trick or treaters either so sweets for me - shame

ellliebelle Wed 31-Oct-12 21:07:00

2blessed my friends are throwing me a baby shower (although a lot of people cant make it so will be an intimate affair) we are going to a restaurant/beauty salon all in one having mini treatments and afternoon tea and they will organise a few games im sure i haven't done a gift list though just looking forward to cake and pampering with friends smile

CODwidow Wed 31-Oct-12 22:36:45

My sister and mum have arranged for me to have a baby shower on 10/11 only a few people will be there and I've not been asked what I want but have made it clear there should be cake involved!smile

Clarella Wed 31-Oct-12 23:24:26

Lovely to hear about people making things special for others smile these new babies are going to be well loved smile

Because I've been struggling with 'antenatal depression' and both the slapped cheek enforced isolation from work plus the self enforced isolation you put yourself in I think its up to me to suggest any sort of get together but must admit I've not seen certain (childless) friends for so long I'm not sure I can hack it (explanations/questions/stigma). Still struggle with what to say to people plus the 'when do you finish work' q - reminds me of awfulness. Other friends live miles away. School started doing them a few years ago but must admit id always cringed at the thought of that (also marginally superstitious!) and heard too many women worrying/complaining about attending in the past (about 60 staff, all women, many really struggling financially plus some don't get on). The 2 collegues I've been in touch with offered separately but at the time I felt it was too much esp given much of the anxiety was workplace linked - now I'm feeling much better I feel a little sad I haven't/can't enjoy 'normal' stuff like that.

on the up side met all my nct people for lunch (plus second baby!) And then another lady for coffee later I've met through aquanatal. And that's normal stuff smile they were saying how guilty they felt being off - I realised now I'm 'officially' on maternity leave on paper I've lost the horrid guilt I've had for so long :-)

Sorry, a bit me me me, but so few people to express this to!

I do just want this pregnancy to be over soon and baby in my arms so I can get on with the next (much more meaningful) chapter in life. Though would be good to have finished sorting out the bathroom and nursery first!

emilyeggs Thu 01-Nov-12 02:40:33

I've got hear nice and early for the 3am club !

Bellaboo123 Thu 01-Nov-12 03:14:06

emily lol I'm 15 mins late but I made it! Urgh!!! Ooo to sleep through the night again....a girl can dream....

Walnut8 Thu 01-Nov-12 03:54:57

emily your comment about your sex life and not returning the favour made me giggle. Altho there is no way I let DH do anything like that at the moment! Too much ... going on!

clarella don't feel bad about not doing those "normal" things ... a lot of people (like me!!) don't have baby showers or other "normal" things like that due to family and friends living too far away etc. That's why it's so nice to make friends through things like NCT or antenatal classes with other local mums - you're right, the pregnancy bit is just the start of a whole new world.

Am I silly to feel like skipping my 35 week appointment next week, after what happened last week? I have no-one that I can leave DD with, so she is just going to have to come with me and if the consultant is nasty again or DD plays up I feel like I might just have a breakdown!

EggsMichelle Thu 01-Nov-12 05:04:35

Walnut it might be worth double checking the time with them on the morning of the appointment, then if they have made another balls up you are prepared. And tell the consultant to piss off or keep their gob shut!

My sister offered to do me a baby shower, but everyone lives so far away I declined, think I will just make lots of little lunch/coffee dates to keep me busy instead.

Walnut8 Thu 01-Nov-12 05:11:26

Will definitely be double-checking appointment time Eggs ... I was afraid last time if I said anything I would start crying, was already under enough stress trying to keep DD in order.

Lunch/coffee dates are the way to go! If I was pregnant with number one, would also go and get my hair done and maybe go see a movie by myself too. Not much of that to be done afterwards for a while.

EggsMichelle Thu 01-Nov-12 05:43:24

I went to the cinema last week to watch Frankenweenie, and even that short brilliant film couldn't hold my attention! Goodness knows how I will cope with sitting through Breaking Dawn!

Got my friend and her 18month old coming over this afternoon, she has threatened to bring her cleaning stuff!

emilyeggs Thu 01-Nov-12 06:38:44

Ladies! We can now officially say we are having a baby next month! Eek!

MyDaydream Thu 01-Nov-12 07:04:12

I really enjoyed all the trick or treaters last night, although spent most of it feeling a bit guilty because I think a cute little vampire tripped over my pumpkin. They were all so polite though, I kept saying "take a few" and they still carefully picked out one lolly each then said thank you like I'd given the whole bag. Hope my DS is as polite!
emily don't say that! I can cope with 7 weeks but not next month. I could potentially go through to January though, although hopefully not since DP needs to be back at work on the 7th no matter what.

PurplePidjInAPointyHat Thu 01-Nov-12 07:23:55

Emily, it's this month for Clarella and me. Thirty six weeks tomorrow shock

Just realised i need to nc again blush

Clarella Thu 01-Nov-12 07:27:43

I don't think its silly to feel that walnut but its not very fair you do and they made you feel like that - might it be a diff consultant or def the same?

I know what you mean about baby shs, don't think id even want one other than a cake fest to benefit all - any excuse! But still can't handle the social bit on a bigger level. It's more that there are so many things I've not joined in socially/not coped with/ avoided etc for so long, now im a bit better I would probably benefit from it in order to try to feel more normal and reclaim my confidence but am running out of time. (baby in 26 days!) Actually, I think I need to do social things not 'imminent baby related' - my DH and his partner entered a little local architecture competition/exhibition, the preview/winner eve is next weds (after hospital visit which I'm already feeling sick about but nicely sandwiched with a morning sling meet) and I've just realised I am stupidly excited to go as I can be 'normal' (and they will all be totally disinterested in pregnancy chat) Can't wait for life to not be normal ever again for the valid excellent reason of a baby!

Clarella Thu 01-Nov-12 07:29:49

Pidg - nc? I'm confused

Nc= name change smile

Mamas and Papas have at least 10% off everything for four days, their snow globe's are under £10 now

AlisonDB Thu 01-Nov-12 08:01:36

Omg omg omg!!!!
Next Month!!!!!!
OMG!!!!!
Why all of a sudden do I feel in no way ready or prepared?????

Off to the mums and tots group this morning that I now run, i go every week with the kids I mind, really looking forward to it!!

For any first time mums or mums whose families friends live far away I can't tell you how much of a life line these mums & tots groups are...

I started going to this one when my son was 3 wks old, for my benifit not his, that was 5 years ago, I haven't looked back.
I have made some great friends from it,

(obviously it's slightly different for me as a lot of the girls who attend our group are expats like myself and will move at the drop of a hat due to Their DH job.)

But I would definatly recommend looking for your nearest tots group,
sure start or family centre or other group activity with other mums & their kids...

PurplePidjin Thu 01-Nov-12 08:10:32

I'm now back in my normal plumage [wink

itsMYNutella Thu 01-Nov-12 08:10:44

Alison whereabouts are you? Sorry I know you're somewhere Dutch related but I can't remember specifically... I'm in Germany and there is a thread for German speaking (but all welcome) countries if you're interested smile they are really lovely.

Went out for a curry last night, sadly not in the least bit spicy ( sad Germans only like salt - I'm convinced!) but it was very tasty!! So I might have eaten a bit much and then had the loudest (sorry TMI - hope you're not eating your cornflakes) wind all night! I think I could have signalled in ships confused

Loved all the pill talk at the start of the thread, I was on a bus snorting with badly concealed laughter while MNing on my phone grin

Clarella Thu 01-Nov-12 08:12:02

Gotta be grateful for a healthy baby - over it now.

You alright clarella?

I will have my baby in six weeks at the very latest eek!

AlisonDB Thu 01-Nov-12 08:20:33

Nutella,
I'm just south of Amsterdam, in a city called Hilversum,
We have been here 12 years, and kind of view ourselves as lifers even though myself and DH are both English, we just don't feel we want/need to move back to the UK.

gilsbubbles Thu 01-Nov-12 08:43:08

TMI warning....can't remainder who was asking a few days ago about feeling very swollen. I've been suffering for a the last couple of days. Not sure whether it's another charming pregnancy thing or a result of me just finishing a course of antibiotics...think I'll give the midwife a call for advice. Also chatted with DP about maybe starting maternity leave a bit early, had been planning to work till 38 weeks so only 2 more but kids feeling so uncomfortable

gils if you feel the need to stop please stop! You need to look after yourself! smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.