Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due in October 2012 - Part 9...the final few waddling uncomfortably and hoping things start moving soon!

(294 Posts)
Kyyria Tue 23-Oct-12 14:36:09

Just getting us sorted with a (hopefully) final thread before we all decamp to the PN thread!!

Beeblebear Thu 25-Oct-12 15:36:45

Pops in and drops off a pan of brownies and waves... No I didn't have time to bake, they are store bought.

Congratulations smorgs!

And good luck to everyone still waiting. See you on the other side!

bella2012 Thu 25-Oct-12 15:51:30

thanks midget great to hear your induction experiences.

beccus so she managed to give you a sweep? Mine didn't try for that long and then just said it wasn't possible. No instructions about how to move/position etc. It wasn't my normal MW as she is on holiday so it will be this one again on Monday too. That does not fill me with hope. I was crying though so she probs didn't want to push it too far! I am sad that I have to wait all the way until Monday before the next one too. I really hope your one on Sat gets things moving. My DH keeps saying that I mustn't forget that the baby could start things off him/herself at any time, but I just can't believe it now after all these days of waiting and wishing.

Good luck with all your bouncing/rolling pin activities!

God the thread is an empty place now ey? It is rubbish being at the end of the month!

Beccus Thu 25-Oct-12 16:45:40

god, mickey, your latent labor is like lord of the rings...never ending!!!

Thanks Midget and beeble for dropping by and for sharing your induction story - i am feeling much more positive about induction now, i haven't drunk at all during my pregnancy to keep b/f happy, so am ready for a bit of e-tastic gas and air and epidural action smile

bella, my midwife rummaged away for a while, but said couldn't do the sweep because one end of my cervix was still closed - so she could reach, but couldn't get in to sweep the membranes. She thought the other end would probably be open by saturday.

I know we dont like to seem like we r making a fuss, but would u be comfortable saying you've talked to some other ladies with posterior cervixes and their experience was that midwife got them to move about, try some different positions, blah, blah, etc, etc and could a 2nd midwife have a go if she still can't reach the next time? Also, is there no way they can see u on weekend? Or, if they can't do weekend could someone else have another go tomorrow?

Your DH is right, she just couldn't reach, so you could be as nice and open as a heathrow runway down there with bubs ready to jumbo jet 380 out at any time. I know the feeling of thinking this is unlikely because baby and your body just doesn't seem to be coming to the party...it's a bit shit.

Hope u can find something to distract u/ cheer u up xx

kyrria, any delivery action?

Kyyria Thu 25-Oct-12 16:59:04

Yes Beccus - very sheepish delivery driver at about 3pm, but all arrived smile Am still waiting for a response to my hormonal ranty email that I sent yesterday though asking for a proper reason for why they didn't deliver on Tuesday.

I'm with the rest of you on the whole "does my body actually have a clue what it is supposed to be doing" front. I know I've still got 3 days until my due date but given he is no further down and that all signs/spasms/pains have so far led to a big fat zero I'm guessing he isn't going to make an appearance before he is supposed to sad

I've not read anything on induction yet but I'm figuring I probably should as that's probably going to be the path I end up going down at this rate!

Kyyria Thu 25-Oct-12 17:03:45

One of the things I had ordered was a skeleton babygro & hat combo - on the offchance he arrived when he was supposed to (and before halloween)...I'm guessing i'll just have to use it as a general baby gro now hmm

YompingJo Thu 25-Oct-12 17:37:27

Hi all, just sending some support and hugs. The last few days/weeks are endless aren't they?

To anyone having unsuccessful sweeps, on my first one I was told cervix was still posterior, but contractions started mildly the next day and next sweep also showed cervix was only slightly effaced, but things ramped up that day - so don't despair.

I was 42+1 when I finally stuck hand up fanjo and pulled baby out gave birth, and I was so over it. Orenishii, we went for active management, despite being scanned at 42 weeks and told homebirth was now out of question due to excessive amniotic fluid and high blood pressure. I researched and talked to my midwife and she was still happy to support so we agreed daily monitoring with the hospital, then went into labour the next day.

Anyway, just wanted to come and offer support and say I hope you girls are OK. Masses of sympathy to those with stop/start symptoms. I know it's no comfort but it can't last forever, even though it feels like it, and keeping busy is definitely better than sitting around analysing every twinge - well, it was for me anyway. Something that surprised me and I wasn't ready for was how much mucus plug there was. I lost some over a couple of days and assumed that was it, but (TMI alert) it carried on coming out throughout most of labour, bloody great gushes of it. Weirdness!

Will share birth story in next couple of days, has taken me this long to get it all straight in my own head as it was long drawn out.

Congrats to Shell and Smorgs on new arrivals! (*smorgs*, was it the Big Mother talk, do you think?)

londonlivvy Thu 25-Oct-12 18:10:25

cherry anything exciting as a result of exit of mucous plug? Hope you got the work stuff done.

kyyria Rats re unhelpful suggestions re sore ankles. But HURRAH that delivery actually did turn up in the end. And I LOVE the Halloween babygro. So cute.

bella you’re right, it’s really hard to get your head round the change. Especially when (at the moment) it’s all theoretical (ie baby’s not actually here). My sis and her husband have managed to get sports back up (kids 6+4) so maybe I just need to be patient. Not my forte….The thing about being a tag team, particularly when DF is working/studying all week, is that then we won’t have much family time at all and I think it’s important for us to be a team together.
I feel for you with the pressure of family descending and no baby to present to them. But it’s hardly your fault! What are you supposed to do?

Mickey oh NO!. I was sure your doula was going to be right – she sounded so confident! Rats that even changing sheets etc didn’t work.

London MrsS. Grr re non-appearance of baby. I’m also a bit loathe to keep DF home when I feel pains, in case it’s a false alarm / early days, but equally I wouldn’t want him to miss the birth. I wouldn’t feel bad though – how the hell are you supposed to know? The medics certainly don’t.

Midget thanks for the positive induction stories and beeble thanks for the brownies.

yomping hello! Hope you’re enjoying life with your new bean.

A friend came over today for a walk and lunch and chatters which was lovely though surprisingly tiring. I have since had to retire to bed for a sleep to recover. (you are so right, beccus that daytime sleeps are the key!) Also loving the reflexology tip and will be downstairs and focusing on that RIGHT NOW. Am getting bored of this.

I’ve got plans for tomorrow (osteo, who’s going to sort my sore hip I hope, as well as potentially make the exit of the young lady a little smoother) and after that, it’s all surprisingly quiet in the diary. Humn. Apart from my sister who’s emigrating. In about ten days. ARSE. COME ON BABY. More walking required.

bella2012 Thu 25-Oct-12 19:05:52

great to hear from you yomping, we miss you on here! Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Thanks for your advice too beccus. I know you are right but they seem so concrete about the timings for things that I don't think she would be very accomodating to a request to fit in an extra sweep. I will have to hope like mad she is more persistant on Monday (or that cervix will have done its thing a bit more by then) i have felt pretty positive on the whole these last few weeks so have kind of surprised myself with how fed up I have been feeling. i think it is a mixture of hormones and complicated feelings about my DS and how in Gods name I am going to cope with the two of them. Like you said livvy being a tag team depletes your family time, but as my husband and I have completely incompatible work schedules, this is a necessity for us and it has been hard. That is why I am so gutted that his precious week off next week could be wasted with no baby here and then he will be back to work and I will be left to flounder on my own. I like his family, but when he is with them, he is like the golden son, who gets pampered and can do no wrong. I always end up doing most of the childcare while he and his mates and sister have a whale of a time getting pissed together and having fun. Because we get so little time together, I just want him to myself to help me get through it all and I can see next week being great fun for everyone but me. (oh god this is all sounding very woe is me! There is a lot of background to this that i won't bore you with!)

Right that is quite enough whining from me for one day. Thank you for giving me an outlet for my anxiety! I am staying at my parents tonight as DH is working late and then early tomorrow so I have a bit of company tonight and some help with DS so that I can gather my strength for the masses I have to entertain tomorrow.

kyria, mickey, cherry am thinking of you all and hoping things get going/go smoothly for you.

Kyyria Thu 25-Oct-12 19:58:54

Sending big hugs bella - it sounds like you have an exhausting week ahead regardless of LO making an arrival. Can't see me moving from this thread any time soon so feel free to cone back and rant if you need a.shoulder to cry on thanks wine smile

My DH has told me his evening that i'm moaning a lot about how uncomfortable I am and how disappointed I will feel if LO doesn't turn up on time...I sometimes wonder what planet they're on! hmm He did say he can sympathise but at the same time he doesn't have a clue! confused

Thinking of everyone as there's nothing worse than being the last ones here and having the horrible feeling that out of everyone you're going to have to be the one to turn out the lights so to speak.

A big pile of thanks and wine to everyone to say thank you for your continuing support and we're in this together smile

Am experimenting for evening meal - have come across a recipe for aubergines that gets you to soak them in a marinade (olive oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic, chilli flakes) then roast them, so going to have that with prawns and vegetable rice. No idea what it's going to turn out like - should probably have the gaviscon on standby grin wink

Zara1984 Thu 25-Oct-12 23:24:08

Hi ladies

Just a quick update - am shattered. Definitely feel like a cat/dog that is looking for a cardboard box in a dark warm cupboard to give birth in. Yesterday had all my plug come out over the course of the day (some bloody, some clear) - crap didn't realise how much of it there would be!!!

Baby is squirming constantly, I think he's trying to find the exit! Tomorrow is my due date and I'm just going to relax and hide a bit. Feel so grateful to have DMIL here, she's been wonderful. Not sure about the rest of you but have been feeling a bit emotional/vulnerable.

So if nothing happens tomorrow it's off to the hospital at 8am for my induction! I feel excited, a bit like anticipating a longhaul flight to somewhere new grin should I be bricking it more?? I really don't feel scared or anxious. Tried out the TENS machine tonight and I think it will be quite helpful when the gel is doing its magic.

Onwards ladies, we're nearly there! smile

Kyyria Fri 26-Oct-12 01:18:33

Well ladies, I am just checking in to tell you that despite what the midwife said on her visit this morning, and all my complaining about how nothing appears to be happening, I have just got up to go to the loo and my waters have.broken...so much for "he'd comfortable and not going anywhere"!

Am now shitting myself as I wish I'd made more of a dent in my coursework!

Not getting any pains or anything yet so going to attempt to go back to sleep (although urge is to stop up and get some coursework done!!)

smileyhappymummy Fri 26-Oct-12 03:23:38

Hi kyrria and zara exciting! Sounds like we will have some more October babies to welcome very soon. Hang in there everyone still waiting, it really won't be too long now!

Kyyria Fri 26-Oct-12 04:41:05

Phoned the hospital and they wanted me to pop in so they could check me over and make sure waters had gone (trust me - they definitely had). Just got back home. Odd bit of crampy pain but no contractions as such. Got to go back in for 1pm tomorrow so they can set me up for induction if nothing has kicked off. Just heading back to bed with a cuppa and.going to try and catch some Zzzs.

Hang in there everyone else - feel crappy for jumping the queue x

Midgetm Fri 26-Oct-12 05:28:50

grin to zara and Kyria not long now.

Zara1984 Fri 26-Oct-12 06:58:25

Good luck Kyrria it's all on!!! So exciting!

Countdown to induction has begun. Have just told baby today is the last chance he has to come out under his own terms. Seems to be gleefully ignoring me. grin

It's starting to hit my poor DH. When we went up bed last night he was a bit weepy and said he's really nervous. I told him as I wasn't scared he shouldn't be grin but to be prepared that I might come across a bit different/howl like a banshee during labour/swear at him during labour - and that's where he has up be calm. grin

londonlivvy Fri 26-Oct-12 07:22:42

ooooh kyyria how exciting. I've just had a "have they or haven't they" broken moment with some liquid leaking out onto the floor as I stood making breakfast. I mopped it up with a kitchen towel and it doesn't smell like wee (oh the glamour) but this (liquid leakage) happened a few weeks ago too and the midwife was very very relaxed about it so I guess it's probably nothing. Shocking night's sleep though which may be more of an indicator. ANYWAY enough about me... good luck and EXCITING.

zara I hope the stern talks work but if not, I hope induction works out ok too.

bella2012 Fri 26-Oct-12 08:22:36

oh wow kyria that is wonderful! You have been through so much this pregnancy, I am not suprised you are more than ready for it to be over. Don't worry about jumping the queue you daft thing-I am thrilled for you and hope things progress well from here! Exciting. Keep us posted.

livvy I wonder what that was? Was it a gush or a trickle? You might need the old speculum exam if it keeps happening? Hope you are OK.

zara glad you have your lovely MIL with you and really hope things go smoothly. Do keep us posted.

How exciting! It really is going to be a ghost town on here by the time my babs comes along!

londonlivvy Fri 26-Oct-12 08:49:14

bella more of a trickle -sort of 1.5 inches diameter? I've now put in a pad (oh MY those things are SEXY) and will see. I suspect it's nothing to get excited about. I shall be here until 11 November I think.

Right. I need to go back to bed. Had just been about to go to sleep and the phone rang with SMIL wanting to talk through quilt design options - bless her - so kind of her to spend the time making a quilt. I tried to tell her I wouldn't be able to use it for a while cos of the SIDS stuff but not sure she got it. Still, I can use it as a floor mat for bean to lie on and kick when a bit older?

Oooh Kyyria How exciting!! Good Luck!!! Same goes for you Zara..

Hoping that Londonmrss is snuggled up with a gorgeous little one smile

Zara Isn't it amazing how long its taken for this news to hit them? We've only been pregnant for 9 months!! My DP was the same when we thought things had kicked off last week.. Bless him. In bed the night after he wouldn't take his hands off my belly!

I thought my waters had broken last night.. no such luck. (TMI) I think DP left his er.. work environment.. in rather a more damp mess than he usually does!

Bella and Beccus How are you both getting on?

The dog pulled me up I walked up the steepest hill known to man yesterday. (Well it probably isn't but thats what it felt like to me!) Did nada, but oh are my back and hips hurting today!! sad

<waves> at Yomping Hello!!! So nice to hear from you. Hope you are recovering well xx

bella2012 Fri 26-Oct-12 14:41:55

oh well livvy keep an eye on it, won't you. It may be something! You never know. You will def find lots of uses for the quilt. Once you are giving the baby tummy time to strengthen her neck, you can put it on the floor as a cosy and clean place to lie.

Hi mickey, sorry it wasn't the real thing for you either. How are you bearing up with all the waiting? I am Ok thanks, not as down as yesterday. I have been to see the farmhouse holiday cottage DH's family are staying in and it is absolutely out of this world! I still can not believe that 14 of them have travelled all this way to meet the baby and it probs won't be born until they have gone. Absolutely zilch happening here. Am trying so hard to summon resources of patience from deep within!

beccus how are you?

I wonder if things have stepped up for kyria and cherry?

I have a fear of being the last one onthe thread. Not sure why it matters to me! Come on baby!

Love to you all.

squidkid Fri 26-Oct-12 16:42:34

I am back for more cheering!

Baby Jess is nearly 4 weeks now and I feel physically almost entirely normal again. The first few weeks are tough BUT I feel like I am coming out the other side now. I hope this is encouraging!

bella you are doing SO WELL with the endless wait, it must be so exhausting. There really isn't much longer left however it happens. But fingers crossed and thinking of you that all kicks off naturally. Come on baby bella!

kyyria It's all happening for you now then! My labour started with waters going, it was pretty dramatic!
Love the halloween baby grows - should have thought of that - I have completely lost track of days/dates - october has vanished from my life basically!

beccus thinking of you too, I honestly think ladies who don't go overdue have no idea how time just screeches to a halt! Hope your sweep tomorrow goes ok, if things haven't started by then.

Yay for relaxing and maternity leave for cherry

Any news from orenishi, it's been a while now... fingers crossed!

londonmrs you are conspicuous by your absence for the last two days, your last post says your contractions are 6 mins apart!! Hope to hear good news from you soon. xxx

londonlivvy I think the thing I have found hardest so far is spending so little time with my boyfriend even though we are both in the house most of the time. Everyone says this gets easier though.
Hope the osteo helped with your hip. After birth all my pelvic / hip pain completely vanished, instantly.

zara You must also be in the thick of it... thinking of you love.

Mickey sympathies on the on-off labour - I had lots of signs for two weeks befoer - it is exhausting - thinking of you.

Right I promise you I will be back here until every last one of you is on the postnatal thread!!

Hey Bella- Don't worry, I'll probably be the last one here at this rate hmm The waiting is boring. It's wierd not having work to occupy me, although I thought I would miss it more.. but I don't. I've been merrily getting on with housework i have an indecent amount of love for my hoover which I usually hate doing. Plus I keep remembering things that need doing so I guess I'm OK. You have my sympathies on all the family travelling down for nothing- I'd be gutted if that was me and couldn't show my baby off!!
Are they the kind of family/houseguests that will make themselves useful? I.E. Make you a cup of tea and do the washing up occasionally? They're the best houseguests grin

I went to see the midwife this afternoon, asked if she could please please do an internal exam and see if I've made any progress and she said No. She was really nice about it bless her, but they aren't allowed to do examinations (unless in hosp obvs) before 40 weeks in case it starts labour. I was gutted. I'm also bloody fed up- the baby has moved upwards again, so where I was 2/5 engaged when I was admitted to hospital last week, I am now 3/5 engaged again. I'm so annoyed, little bugger!!
So I've decided to have a very f-u-pregnancy afternoon. I'm going to sit down and eat lots of cake and do nothing. Huuuurrrrumph. I'm grumpy.

Hi Squid Nice to hear from you! With the encouraging news that you are feeling like you are coming out the other side- I can't believe Jess is nearly 4 weeks already!!! It feels like yesterday you gave birth!!

Kyyria I LOVE the halloween babygrow. For christmas this year everyone is recieving a photo of the baby and a box of chocolates- I'm going to buy the "Mummy's Little Pudding" outfit they do and take a pic of the baby in that and that will be the famous picture grin I was going to put it on everyone's christmas cards but I fear that may be a little expensive. But we'll see!

hufflepuffle Fri 26-Oct-12 19:09:29

Hey peeps! Just checking in to say hi and cheer u to the finishing line! My little man is 9 days today and finally coming up for air! Not going to tell my story at this stage. Just thinking back to last few weeks and days of waiting and remembering the stress!!! Labour started for me on a Monday night at 11pm and bubba came Wed am at 1.31. The interim had 1 false trip to hospital as the contractions stopped when I got there!!!! So if u waiting to go do leave as long as poss. Tens machine was brilliant. Had 2nd stage in pool, so do v beneficial, would suggest to anyone. Had to get our to break waters and deliver tho, but that was just me.

My pelvic pain 100% gone within minutes of labour starting, yes, sleeping pattern all over place but I can confirm that the comfort of sleep is miraculous compared to late stages if pregnancy!!!! And the ability to bend over etc is priceless!!! So hang on in there.

Must go, DH has dinner ready!!

Hugs to u all, more soon
Xx

londonlivvy Fri 26-Oct-12 20:13:40

Hi ladies,

Fret not bella I shall be here until eviction day (11th Nov) so you won’t be alone! I checked the pad later and it was a pale yellow so therefore I just assume that my pelvic floor is shot to bits, rather than anything exciting about to happen. Good point re the quilt – we have wooden floors which wouldn’t be that cozy!

mickey I chuckled at your euphemism re work environment (once I’d worked it out, of course!). Good effort on walking up steep hills! I am having a couple of quiet days on the walking front to let things settle down in their new place post osteo. My hip is much much better, though a bit tender.
On the hoover front (sorry to discuss such a dull subject), which hoover do you have? Ours is rubbish and doesn’t really battle vs the cat hairs. A friend recommended miele but MY they are pricey.

squid I too cannot believe Jess is already 4 weeks old!! That has gone super quickly! Thank you for coming back to think of us and I hope that within 4 weeks of her arrival, I’ll be feeling semi-sane too! I think time with DF will be in very short supply given I barely see him already (due to uni) but it’s only temporary and by 2014 it’ll all be done!

kyyria thinking of you and hope to hear good news too.

huffle thanks for the cheers and support. Much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now