Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due in October 2012 - Part 9...the final few waddling uncomfortably and hoping things start moving soon!

(294 Posts)
Kyyria Tue 23-Oct-12 14:36:09

Just getting us sorted with a (hopefully) final thread before we all decamp to the PN thread!!

Londonmrss Tue 23-Oct-12 15:23:41

Yippee!
Did another 5 mile walk this morning- have done about that every day for the last week as my midwife said it might get things going. It hasn't, so now I'm going to just put my feet up.
Good luck with the coursework Kyyria.

Zara1984 Tue 23-Oct-12 17:33:44

Weee another thread!

So, a positive update - went in for hypertension clinic today and didn't get admitted (woohoo). My blood pressure has stabilised but because I'm still on hypertension pills they're keen to get baby out sooner rather than later. A very very sexy consultant did a quite vigorous exam and sweep - I'm about 1cm dilated. Booked in 8am Saturday for induction if things don't kick of naturally in the next few days!

Sending out positive vibes to the other ladies (*orenishii*, londonlivvy and smorgs) staring down the barrel of induction. WE CAN DO THIS!!! I've been reading the positive induction stories thread. After the past week of stressy hell I am delighted to be booked for induction, even though I had been a prime candidate for a pretty free-range organic birth. <cheerleading emoticon>

Kudos to Londonmrss for managing 5 miles every day. That would kill me off.

I'm still here. With a baby still inside me. It seems intent on messing me about now hmm I had some really painful contractions last night.. lo and behold got into bed and had sex and absolute NADA this morning. This latent phase has got to be the worst part surely? I know all the other parts are painful but at least you KNOW you're headed somewhere! It's been a week now. Epic. My doula thinks it will be tomorrow. She is a psychic. So we'll see. I also feel like I should be mobile all the time, but truth is that is so tiring. I agree with whoever said (on the old thread) that some women do sod all and just go into labour. So I think I might use that as an excuse just put my feet up with Londonmrss!

Hope the coursework is going well Kyyria.

Good Luck with your induction tomorrow Smorgs.

<waves> at everyone else, hello!!!

squidkid Tue 23-Oct-12 18:09:10

-staggers in from postnatal thread in a sleep deprived mess leaking milk and waves pom-poms-

We have not forgotten you!! I was the first due on this thread and that seemed stressful at the time, I felt under pressure to deliver a baby first... but I know it must seem endless when your due date is near the end of our group too...
I felt very stressed when I was (briefly) overdue, not knowing if/when things would happen... feeling so heavy and uncomfortable and like I was getting heavier. Also wanted to smack people who told me to "enjoy" this time (sorry angelico grin)... it's not like you're your pre-pregnant self who can run around down pints and have great sex! I do think all the things to try when you're overdue (I tried them all) are bollocks and the baby just comes when it's ready. Walking is probably good for positioning though. Also I refused a sweep at 40+3 and went into labour that night so if I had had it I would have sworn it worked... most people do just go into labour around this time!! I'm just blathering now... just know that I'm thinking of you.

Most people I've known who've been induced have had short, straightforward labours.

Also thinking of the last few of you (mickey, cherry, londonlivvy) due in the next couple of weeks... hope the last few days treat you kindly xxx

Orenishii Tue 23-Oct-12 18:21:18

Sorry to put a downer on the thread - 41 weeks today, went for my sweep and my cervix is still so high up, she couldn't even do the sweep. Put me under loads of pressure to be induced but eventually agreed to a sweep on Friday, with an appointment to be made to meet with the head of MW care for expectant management before 42 weeks.

Cried lots, made a flourless chocolate coconut cake, spoke to DH and fought with my cat, who then came back for a sorry-I-attacked you cuddle...feeling a bit overwrought and down but will bounce back, I'm sure.

Beccus Tue 23-Oct-12 18:30:13

i love them, kyrria, i am going to tesco!! smile thanks for new thread, too.

Hugs, Smorgs. I dont get the french dating system, but i think u r saying u r only 41 weeks? This is the link to NICE guidelines:
http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG70/PublicInfo/pdf/English - they seem to support low risk pregnancies progressing to 42 weeks.

Can they really just make u have an induction? I would def consider an epidural with prostaglandins and would make them stick it in before the syntocin drip for sure. Agree with londonmrs, it's really sad to say goodbye to our hopes of a relatively intervention free birth....but, we can't change what our bodies are doing, and tbh, i think the best laid plans can go out the windown anyway in labor, regardless of whether we get in our home birthing pool/ arrive at our lovely midwife-led birth centre.

The most important thing is we recognise what an amazing job we have done growing our little babies for 9 months, taking care of ourselves and them, researching away and doing our everything we can to grow them and get them out the best way we see fit, but we can't control everything, and at the end of the day, once baby is safely in our arms, it doesn't matter too much how they got there....

zara, happy for u, too - induction is obvisouly the right thing for u and your bean smile

Hugs to you, too oren, the waiting game is tough!!

livvy, if it was me, unless i thought i was going into labor on the day, i would let him race - sounds like he'll have his phone on him until 30 mins before, so he could get back to you within 3 hrs if needs be, and 1st labor is unlikely to be quick and sudden. I think it really depends on how anxious u feel aout it. It would be good karma, bella got rewarded 10 fold after letting her DH go to the rugby. Totally up to u, hon. Being a daddy is more important than a race, and that involves being there to support mummy throughout pregnancy, not just on baby's birthday!!

oooh, mickey, she sounds confident - psychics who make exact predicitons like that need to be taken more seriously than the ones who waffle on vaguely- fingers crossed smile

Oh Orenishii Big cuddles. I wish I knew what to say to make it better; but be kind to yourself at least. Have a cuppa tea, a relaxing bath and then go to bed. Everything will seem better in the morning xx

Hi Squid!!

"The most important thing is we recognise what an amazing job we have done growing our little babies for 9 months, taking care of ourselves and them, researching away and doing our everything we can to grow them and get them out the best way we see fit, but we can't control everything, and at the end of the day, once baby is safely in our arms, it doesn't matter too much how they got there...."

Hear hear Beccus, I totally agree!

Due Dates:
Oct. 1: Gigglewhizz DC1 (?)
Oct. 3: Springersmum DC2 (?)
Oct. 5: Celestia twins DS1 & DD2 by ELCS
Oct. 7: Violetlights DC1
Oct. 11: OnOfMyTurnsComingOn DC3 by VBAC
Oct. 16: Liege07 DS1 by planned induction, Orenishii DC1
Oct. 17: Smorgs DC1
Oct. 18: Bella2012 DC2, Beccus DC1
Oct. 19: Willowtree DC1 by ELCS
Oct. 21: Dosomethingmutley DC1
Oct. 26: Londonmrss DC1, Zara1984 DS1
Oct. 28: Kyyria DC1
Oct. 29: Ayeasha DC1
Oct. 30: Cherrychopsticks DC1
Nov. 1: Londonlivvy DC1
Nov. 8: MickeytheShortOne DC1

Real live babies:
Sept. 20: Velo - Max 2.35kg
Sept. 24: Lisbethspposite, Paul 6lb 11oz
Sept. 25: Angelico – DD Mini Angelico, CWest30 - Naomi Louise, 4lb 10oz
Sept. 26: Elpis – DS 3.2kg
Sept. 30: Squidkid – Jess, 6lb 14
Oct. 1: WantAnOrange – Artemis Lily 7lbs 2oz, MrsConfusion – DD 7lb 0.75oz
Oct. 2: Planktonette – DS Planktonini, firstbubba – DS babyfirstbubba 9lb 2.5oz
Oct. 3: FjordMor – Ida 8lb 3oz
Oct. 4: Crazypaving – DS 8lb 3oz, Smileyhappymummy – Melissa Rose 3kg, Milk - William Andrew 7lb 8oz
Oct. 12: Katla – Erin Rose 7lbs 12oz
Oct. 16: Midgetm – Master Midge
Oct. 17: Hufflepuffle – Snuffly Huffle Boy 9lb 3oz, Lizzietow – Imogen Rose
Oct. 18: OctoberOctober – Max 8lb 1oz
Oct. 19: Beeblebear – Baby Bear 7lb 10oz
Oct. 20: YompingJo – Alice Jessica 9lb
Oct. 21: LoopyLa - Prince Loopy 6lb 10oz
Oct. 22: Shellwedance - Amelie

Thought I would put the list on here... And stop rambling/filling up the new thread with useless posts!

londonlivvy Tue 23-Oct-12 20:14:33

LondonMrsS Total respect for the five mile walks! If I do that my hips are agony for hours afterwards. Well done you! Thank you too for the positive induction stories – I hadn’t realised that any existed so I feel a LOT better about that prospect, should it come my way.

Zara delighted you weren’t admitted and so shall cheerlead on your bambino to come out. Perhaps with MrsS’s method of waving choc under the fanjo?

Smorgs Hope the induction goes ok and foie gras and wine are by your side very soon!

Mickey oh good lord. Seriously? A week is a long time, I’m surprised you’re not going spare. I hope your doula is right.

squid thanks for the positive wishes etc. I’m actually not that desperate for her to arrive. I’m enjoying seeing friends and sorting out Xmas pressies etc (I know, I know, I’m a saddo). I think it helps that I’ve not got a massive bump so I can still move around with reasonable ease. When I had the three days of heartburn last week I was all GET HER OUT OF HERE. So I suspect my mojo will vary from day to day!

Orenishii oh poor you. Sounds like a tough time. Entirely understand the tears – I think I’d be there too. Boo. You’ve obviously made a very nice home for your LO and (s)he isn’t keen to leave.

Thanks Beccus for the wave of late pregnancy positivity – that’s fab. And I love your reminder re bella’s generosity. I am going to encourage him to race (he was the first to ask whether I thought he should) and will probably go with him – I can happily read in the car if the race is too intense for me to watch. Or chat to the old ladies in the HQ and eat cake (lord knows how they get conned into doing it all the time but they’re always lovely women!).

In other news, my NCT yoga student was ace and I have videoed it and sent it off with all the essays and lesson plans to the course director and now crossing my fingers heartily that I will pass…. EEK.

Kyyria Tue 23-Oct-12 21:43:57

Any tips for helping to reduce swelling in the feet/ankles? My calves are solid to about half way up, I no longer have ankle bones and I can't move my toes without feeling like the skin on the top of my feet is going to split open.

The only thing that vaguely works is raising my feet up higher than hips, bit as you can imagine that's not a mean feat for someone approaching the proportions of a beached whale. Even then it only works whilst they're raised and then the minute I put them down again the swelling starts again.

Any tips gratefully received!

Zara1984 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:50:02

Ack kyrria feet up has been the only solution that's worked for my swelling (and hypertension meds)! What about very gentle circular massage by DH after warming feel up with eg shower? Could help get the blood flowing?

I waved chocolate mousse slice under my fanjo just now... Ok I lied, I just shoveled it in my mouth grin

bella2012 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:22:32

evening all,

thanks for the new thread kyria. Sympathy on the swollen ankles and sorry I don't have any advice. Apart from ice cold water which worked for me once. Sorry that your speculum examination was just like mine (although you may not have wanted your waters to break just yet..?)

mickey hang in there. My latent phase last time was lengthy and very frustrating. I really feel for you and think you are coping magnificently.

smorgs good luck tomorrow. Will have my fingers crossed that it is straightforward and fairly swift for you.

livvy well done on being so understanding about the race. I fretted so much that my baby would come on the day of DS's party and here I am well over a week after that, still waiting!

zara so pleased your blood pressure has stabilised and that you didn't get admitted again. Hope you are ok xx

beccus such good advice and brilliantly put as always. I feel really open to induction now as am just feeling irrationally desperate for the baby to come now. Have you been offered a sweep? I have one booked in on Thursday when we will be 41 weeks and am desperately hoping something will come of it.

Dh has just chopped up an entire pineapple, so that is my agenda for tomorrow! And will invest in some choccy to wave under my fanjo- cracking advice!

Londonmrss Tue 23-Oct-12 22:27:04

Kyyria, I reckon foot massages too. Also try just slowly circling your feet around in both directions- just to keep the blood moving. Also make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Or try cold compresses?
It might be one of those shit things that will only be improved by having a baby though...
Smorgs bon courage (that's what people keep saying to me...) and good luck for tomorrow- you'll be great.
Zara, glad you're doing ok- have been thinking of you. How is it possible to find the person giving you a sweep sexy? Mind you, one of the male midwives at my birth centre is pretty sexy.
Mickey I don't believe in psychic powers, but hope tomorrow is our day.
In fact, I hope tomorrow is the day for all of us to be honest!
I keep worrying about what time I might go into labour... Like it wouldn't be good right now cos I'm quite tired, but this morning would have been great because I slept well last night and woke up feeling quite good. But yesterday would have been crap because I didn't sleep well. What's the point in me fretting? It'll be knackering whether I've had a good night's sleep or not, won't it?

Beccus Tue 23-Oct-12 22:32:09

oh, smorgs, in my pregnancy cheerleader rant i forgot to tell you about underbelly! The 1st series was about criminal gang crime in melbourne (where i'm from) in the 80's - it got really good reviews, so they did all these other series about other crime in Oz. It's pretty full on and graphic and disturbing, but it's good and i love 80's melbourne! smile

kyrria, your calves are not red, hot and painful are they? Just checking u dont have a dvt, which i'm sure you dont. How about sitting on bed with legs straight and pumping your feet back and forth for a couple of mins to get your calves going to improve the circulation/ if u r really keen stand on the stairs, hang on to the rail and let your heels hang over the edge and do as many heel raises as u can....

zara, bwahaha at waving the mousse slice under your fanjo smile

livvy - good race plan - eat cake with the nannas and keep enjoying your sociable mat leave activites. Good luck with your assessment!!

orenshi, my 41 week sweep is tomorrow....if the shop is open for business, that is...hang in there, dont let them bully u into induction before u r ready

where has bella been today? Pushing out DC2? And cherry? God, she needs a little rest from work before her DC arrives.

Thanks mickey, for your updated list.

waves to squid, hope to join u soon!!

Angelico Tue 23-Oct-12 22:36:16

Hey ladies! We are cheering you across the finish line!!! grin

And I will accept a beating from Squid and any other frustrated waddling bean bakers - but I repeat: Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep! Eattttttttttt! Showwwwwwwwwwer! Do it all while you can! grin Livvy I was like you - far too comfortable at the end for my own good so had a great few last weeks of pregnancy, thus CS pain and shock of caring for newborn bean was all a bit confused So have the fun while you can, good woman! grin

See you all in PN soon thanks

Kyyria Wed 24-Oct-12 01:52:54

Thanks for swollen leg/ankle tips. They're not red or hot, just immensely swollen! Got DH to massage them a bit before bed but it's not done much. Plan is to spend tomorrow today lying on bed with feet up whilst trying to make inroads into coursework.

Currently awake with:
1) Painful pelvis/fanjo
2) Swollen/tight/sore feet and legs
3) Reflux
4) Sore arm from yesterday's whooping cough jab
5) Little one wedging his arse and/or feet in
my ribs
6) DH snoring his head off

The early days of parenthood have to provide better quality sleep than this, surely...

I'd wave chocolate products under my fanjo but surely it's a waste of chocolate!! Mind you, just the thought of eating it is giving me reflux (wouldn't stop me though!) grin

Londonmrss I keep having the same thoughts re:timing myself...like after tonight's lack of sleep tomorrow wouldn't be fantastic, but that said I'd take anything at the moment!

32, 39+3, #1

Orenishii Wed 24-Oct-12 07:58:27

Thanks all. I'm struggling a bit with thinking my body isn't working properly...it feels very strange to get to 41 weeks and not even be slightly close, and to be honest - it's completely thrown me. I keep thinking it's all going to end so badly but most of all I'm annoyed with the MW's - they haven't tried to prepare me for an induction with giving me any information about the stages of induction, and it's scary. My only information on it comes from here - they haven't talked through the different types like a pessary, for example, or how I might still be able to be active etc.

Right now I'm on strict instructions to go for a two hour walk, to start really believing my body will work and bring on this birth by itself and just give it a bit more time. I don't know if it's relevant but today was my original due date, until they brought it forward by 8 days smile

Smorgs best of luck today, you'll be fantastic, I'm sure!

Beccus good luck with your sweep today! Fingers crossed the shop is open, haha! Also that link to the NICE guidelines you posted for smorgs has been very useful for me too!

londonlivvy well done on the filming of your student! When do you find out the results?

mickey thanks for the kind words up thread. Hope things really start kicking off today and your doula's physic powers are bang on!

kyria poor swollen ankles sad Mine swelled up last night, it's rubbish. Try and keep them elevated?

Sorry if I've missed anyone, will be back later and hope to hear many tales of babies, successful sweeps and happy people smile

londonlivvy Wed 24-Oct-12 09:08:08

Kyyria I agree with LondonMrsS and Beccus would suggest wriggling your toes and waggling your ankles (gently, but frequently) to boost circulation in that area. Sounds rubbish though. As well as all the other discomfort you’re suffering from. Have you tried swimming by the way? That might help the LO move around (away from your ribs) and would boost your circulation, even if you only managed a few lengths.

bella good luck with the pineapple.

Angelico you’ll be glad to know I’m having a long bath every day grin though that is partly to help with the sore hips. Sleeping is still fairly rubbish (I wake up at 4am and then fidget so badly I have to move to the spare room or drive DF crazy) but I’m sure that's still a LOT better than new mum sleep.

Orenishii I try to reassure myself that the midwives aren’t deliberately withholding info (about induction or anything else) it’s just that they’re busy and don’t get round to explaining it. Still rubbish if you don’t know what’s going on though. In the end, though, all we can do is keep active and keep our faith in the professionals and see what happens.
Re yoga qualification, I should find out before Xmas. Which is fine for me since I am not likely to be teaching before then anyway! I’m supposed to have a telephone interview on my coursework submission so I’ve asked if they can dothat in the next 10 days. Fingers crossed.

I have been super motivated this morning, pruning a tree that was annoying DF (you had to brush past it to get in the front door if you have a bike), collecting leaves from the lawn and so on. Now off for coffee and cake with a friend. This bit of maternity leave is rather fun!

Also – randomly – does anyone else feel incredibly loved up at the moment? I am wondering if it’s a hormonal thing but I feel honeymoonly keen on DF right now. Nothing he does irritates me and I find myself following him around like a puppy. Most odd. Not that I don’t usually love him – I do – just not this OOOOHHH you’re AAMAAAZING feeling like when you’ve been going out for a month.

bella2012 Wed 24-Oct-12 09:18:27

oren enjoy your walk. I really feel for you. I am nearly 41 too and feel the same way. I have stopped thinking it will come any time and just feel resigned to induction. My DH keeps telling me that it may be any time, but like you, I feel a bit let down that nothing has started. My first baby was 8 days late but we got things started after 4 days. It is so frustrating isn't it? I really hope your walk does the trick.

So sorry you had such a bad night kyria, you have really suffered this pregnancy you poor thing. I know what you and londonmrs mean about wondering when would be the best timing, and about feeling like you don't care anymore!

I am finding it hard to be 'ready' all the time. I keep trying to empty the washing basket, ironing every scrap that comes throug the wash so that all my DS's clothes are in his drawers and ready, or waiting to decide on things for supper as 'we might not need them' only to go another day with no baby.argh!

Good luck with your sweep beccus, I am jealous that you are getting one a day earlier than me! Hope it gets things going for you. Will be thinking of you, and you smorgs and sending lots of love x

hope cherry is OK and getting to enjoy at least a few days of maternity leave?

Its GOT to happen today. SURELY. YES?
I had no sleep last night. Not due to being in pain or anything like that I just could not sleep.
Going to go for a long walk today. A big, long walk.

Oh and also ladies, if you have birth balls I was advised the other day that we should be placing ourselves as far forward on the ball as possible. (I have to place my feet against a wall to stop myself from falling off) The reason behind it being that sitting on it normally and bouncing is just going to wedge the baby's head into a funny position, but sitting as far forward as possible, with your legs apart opens up the pelvis and allows the baby's head to wiggle down into the pelvis. Did that make sense to anyone?

Anyone heard from Cherry?

Londonmrss Wed 24-Oct-12 11:14:33

Well I'm confused.
After no labour symptoms at all for weeks, things kicked off for me last night.
Started with a lot of mucus discharge and immediately had bad backache. Went to bed and dozed til 1am. Around then, started to get regular pain (around 30 seconds every 10 minutes). By 4am, this was around 40-60 seconds every 4 minutes and continued until about 9am. I say 'pain' because it was all in my lower back- nothing that felt like a contraction, but all where I feel period cramps. Very intense and painful. I also had the shits like you would not believe.
Then it slowed and stopped. So I took the opportunity to have a nap.
Now I'm getting the pain again for about 20-30 seconds every 10 minutes.
So basically I have no idea if this is labour and my body just decided to give me a break, or maybe I've gone backwards... or maybe this isn't labour at all and I just ate something bad.
If it is labour, why is it all in my back? Baby isn't posterior...

Here I am!
Sorry, I think I've been enjoying my first couple of days of maternity leave a bit too much. grin
I'm resting, Beccus and Bella, I promise! Thanks for caring thanks

Yesterday, I had a very relaxing day - long lie-in, slow potter round the supermarket, made myself a nice lunch, little bit of ironing, long chat with friend on Skype and lots of crap TV.

Today was just as nice, but a bit more tiring - antenatal appt., flu jab, then into the city for quick mooch around the shops, lunch at my fave Italian, cinema, hair cut and colour, then home. Am knackered! Now parked on sofa with feet up and a brew

Bit disappointed as am still only 1cm dilated today. After last week's pleasant surprise of 1cm and engagement, I'd hoped I might be 2 or 3cm by now and might deliver the baby without even realising I was in labour but no such luck. Nevermind smile
On the plus side, I found out today that they don't induce at 41 weeks like I thought, they will actually let me go to 41+6. So no hurry now!

Glad you didn't get kept in Zara, am sending positive, natural labour vibes your way!

Can't believe you're still hanging in there, Mickey. You don't have to do it just for me you know! wink It'll be interesting to see how psychic your psychic doula is.
Thanks for the yoga ball tips.

Hi Angelico and Squid, thanks for the cheers! Looking forward to joining you all on post-natal someday soon.

Poor you Oreniishi, sad but try to remember that for every woman who takes several days/weeks to dilate at all, there is another who goes from 0-10 in 1 day. I was just saying to DH this morning that all these signs of labour (show/mucas plug/dilation etc.) are completely useless, as in some cases they happen within days, but in others it takes weeks, and some people don't notice any of them...keep thinking positively!

Thanks for the new thread Kyyria. Sorry about your ankles, know what you mean about elevating them above hip height being easier said than done confused, I'm not very flexible at the best of times. I second Livvy's suggestion of swimming.

Congrats on the great demo Livvy, and go you with the gardening! If it was me, I'd go with your plan of accompanying DH to the race and reading in the car.

V impressed with your 5 mile walks, LondonMrs. Had I been 2-3cm today I might not have bothered with any more swimming, but I suppose I better try and go a couple of times this week to get things moving a bit.

Time for another brew.

Ooh, LondonMrs I have no idea but it sounds promising! aren't I helpful?
Will be cheering for you from my sofa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now