Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013....from Flumper to Bump! (Part 4)

(1000 Posts)
toobreathless Mon 22-Oct-12 22:13:07

Over here!

Another place for us April 2013 Ladies!

We have old thread & stats threads as below:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1569780-April-2013-part-3-scan-scan-scan

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1560543-April-2013-stats-thread

As the days darken & winter approaches may this thread bring us all blossoming bumps, peaceful nights & more friendship and laughter.

Giddypants Tue 23-Oct-12 19:32:53

jaqueline did they give you a reason why your waters went early?

Emmie10 Tue 23-Oct-12 20:00:14

I am definitely more flump than bump!

After being told at booking in appointment to call GP's surgery for 16 week appointment, I found out yesterday that they don't do them here any more angry . I am so disappointed and will need to wait until my 20 week scan for reassurance that everything is ok.

Sorry to hear about the ladies having a hard time.

15 + 6

Bambino29 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:10:53

Jessie - I'm still feeling sick. In fact, spent the first 12 weeks with nausea but no real sickness and the last 3 weeks with both so things are actually getting worse! how about you? birdbrain - sounds a bit like what you've had lately, although am only actually being sick in the mornings so maybe not. Hope you feel much better soon.

Choco - glad scan went well and reassuring that you'll be monitored so closely.

14+2

LoobyLou33 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:27:35

Wow new thread already galloping! Love the name :-) Welcome new ladies / peace to those of you with bleeds or health concerns / energy all round please...

I too am still totally shattered, like essex (I think twas you) I was awake for an hour after peeing last night, 4-5am...specially miffed as it was the first night in a week DS slept through and felt like I was wasting the quietness by lying there awake! IN fact - I must go to bed now, that definitely helps.

Interesting about iron levels...my diet is pretty shite at the moment, so wouldn't be surprised if that's contributing. But last time I wasn't so tired and ate the same rubbish. Maybe I'll get tablets just in case.

Also if people are thinking of buying the dream genii pillow, I used mine for breastfeeding afterwards, it's a bit bulky but winds nicely round your waist.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 23-Oct-12 21:29:45

Yes jessie my sickness comes and goes. Told someone on Sunday I hadn't been sick for two weeks and threw up that night! blush I'm still on lots of tablets and I retch when taking them - never had a problem before.

Try not to stress about the car - these things happen. I bashed mine against the neighbours access ramp and dented the bumper (before I had pregnancy as an excuse!). At least no-one was hurt.

Missmuffet28 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:32:18

Evening all seems everyone is still awaiting the 'pregnancy bloom' !!!! Maybe it's a myth lol I do hope not! Well I still have my headache sad my ankles are killing also but I think that's due to walking up the biggest hill in town in wellies with the dog yesterday!

I'm thinking of all you that are having problems but I'm glad that everyones little ones are doing ok with it all.

I'm also still thinking of mrsjohndeere I hope she is ok and finding some strength in her family

I'm finding out what colour mine is ds1 was a surprise, this time I want to buy pink or blue stuff instead of people asking if its a boy or a girl...... I like the envelope idea tho may do that one although dp isn't sure if he wants to know and mil doesn't want to know as she thinks its just like Christmas getting a present....... Uh no it's nothing like Christmas lol!

Have fallen out with dp tonight though he really snapped at me earlier I think my moods and whining may have got boring for him especially as the poor button has a cold too!!! Well sunshine you got another 5 months to go yet man up!!!
I have been sulking in my bed since 5.30, ordered pizza so I didn't have to go down and ds made me a cup of tea and tried cheering me up by making faces with a bucket on his head, love him!!!!!!

15 smile

Dysgu Tue 23-Oct-12 21:32:35

I saw my consultant today and she agreed I can stay with the MW. No need to spend hours waiting around in the hospital. She did sign me up to have steroid injections at 26 weeks to make sure the lungs develop in preparation for this one coming early too but we are planning on going all the way!

I have so many appointments already I am nearly halfway down the page inside my notes already - scans, swabs, injections, glucose test, appointments for preemie research stuff - and that is before I call to make a MW appointment for 16 weeks.

Did get a bonus listen to the heartbeat today though as the hospital MW was lovely and said 'as you are hear, shall we have a listen?' even though my scan was only last week. The heartbeat is a gallop, which 'might' mean it is a girl

DDs are very much into the idea of a baby growing in my tummy - they like to stroke it already as that is what they see DP do! They know it will take a long time to come out...

And I have now gone 2 whole days without being sick. I have lost just over a stone since my +ve test although am feeling like I look like I ate all the pies! Still this is DC3 so it is going to show sooner.

Dysgu Tue 23-Oct-12 21:36:28

We also won't be finding out the gender of this baby - we didn't with 2DDs either although it was a little while before anyone told me that DC1 was a girl as she had to be rushed to NICU! In fact, I think I had to ask!

Also just a thought re people taking iron tablets - I was recommended them in previous PGs but my MW told me that to take Spatone is often better as it doesn't have the 'blocking' side-effect! The disadvantage is that they can't prescribe it so you have to buy it but you just tip it into orange juice or something and drink it as it is 'natural iron water'. (I have never had constipation (until now sad ) and TBH I would pay anything to avoid it!)

bunnygirl80 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:44:29

choco glad all was ok with your scan. Make sure you take it easy though

bona we will be finding out the sex, we did with DS because I'm impatient and couldn't wait the full 9 months to find out. This time I think it will just make things easier, knowing if I can just dust off DS's old clothes, or if I can give them all away and get girly things instead. I don't really have a gender preference this time, but I'm pretty sure this one is another boy.

dandelion I'm definitely feeling more energetic this week. I wouldn't say it's a burst like amount of energy, but I feel more normal than I did during the first trimester.

I seem to have finally recovered from the norovirus that had be floored for 3 days last week. Am back to pre pregnancy weight too, so I suppose that's one vague benefit of keeping no food down for 72 hrs! Bump has definitely popped out too, have been getting comments at work, so it's not just all in my head.

toobreathless Tue 23-Oct-12 22:35:54

Busy day here, I work fulltime but have a Tuesday afternoon off for paperwork & personal study, in reality this means I cram the paperwork in whenever I can and have Tuesday afternoon with DD & DH. This afternoon we went swimming, which was fun.

I daren't say this too loud but I am definately blooming shoot me now. I am lucky & pregnancy seems to suit me generally. I found being 6 weeks pregnant harder than 36 weeks pregnant with DD mainly due to bone aching tiredness. I suspect the same will be true this time.

We will also be finding out the sex, scan is three weeks today! We did with DD as DH went to Afghanistan two weeks later returning for the birth & he wanted to. I didn't feel it detracted from the excitement or surprise at all. Strongly suspect this is another girl & that is my (secret) preference to be honest, although I'm not sure why.

On phone, will try & name check tomorrow. Wishing everyone a good nights sleep.

Missmuffet28 Wed 24-Oct-12 05:30:03

Does everyone secretly have a preference??? I know some say they don't mind what they have etc etc i am one of those, but I think secretly I may have a preference!! I'm not saying what my secret preference is lol but its there in the back of my head!

I have a hunch this one is a boy not sure why think its because I have developed a line of hair up to my belly button not like full on man hair thankgod!!
I have 4 weeks yet till I find out it'll drive me mad wondering what it is smile

So much for the sleep been in out of it for most of the night dp couldn't sleep so has been tossing and turning and now got up to go and play on the computer like that's going to help him sleep! So then I had to wee then I was thirsty and now an hour later I'm on mn hehe!! I'm gonna be fun tomorrow.........

15+1

Mama1980 Wed 24-Oct-12 08:56:35

Morning all, wow this thread is moving crazy fast! Gonna try to do a catch up sorry in advance if I miss anyone smile
Chocoloco- thanks I'm so glad you work and dp are being so supportive and taking good care of you. How are you feeling now? Very briefly I had my hips rebuilt following a car crash 4 years ago was 26 weeks with my ds at the time hence he was born then grin had them redone a few weeks before finding out about this pregnancy as my hips dislocated which is why my legs are not working, they'll fix it all hopefully once baby is safely delivered. Yes I miss my dc s terribly but I do see them everyday, gotta stay positive.

Birdbrain- I hope your feeling better? Am sending much sympathy it's rotten being sick.

Somewherebecomingrain- yes box sets are my friend also have Netflix and lovefilm!

Trying and bonadea- so happy you got to hear the heartbeat, best sound in the world smile

Giddypants- I'm very glad you consultant is being so supportive. Hope your feeling well?

Teapig- yes I'm laying on my left side as much as possible but I don't know if its a old wives tale one nurse said yes the other no I will try to ask the consultant when I see him Friday.

Rivergirl- glad your starting I feel better now.

I am definitely going to be finding out the sex they might look on Friday for me given the circumstances if babe co operates.
Miss muffet- I definitely don't have a preference I already have one of each (though dd not by birth sgo) but I do have a gut feeling. I was certain my ds was a boy even before I found out.
I won't be buying anything at all for the baby though until he/she is safely born I'm very superstitious. smile I daren't even look at baby things online.
Xxx

JaquelineHyde Wed 24-Oct-12 10:09:29

Giddy No reason for my waters going early, I was told it is just one of those things. However, my consultant this time round said it could be due to a certain bacteria in my wee that can cause premature rupture of membranes but no other issues at all. Which is why I will also be getting my wee sent off to the lab to be analysed every few weeks.

The most traumatic thing about it all was that at the time the midwives kept telling me it wasn't my waters breaking and that I was just weeing myself. After nearly a week of constantly leaking I caught some in a little sample pot and took it in. They then realised it was my waters and hit panic stations, steroid injections, blood tests every other day, scans every other day a million and one appointments and then when I finally went into labour weeks later they didn't believe that either and kept telling me it was pregnancy niggles!

Giddypants Wed 24-Oct-12 10:20:13

Bloody Nora jaqueline how frustrating for you to be telling them over and over just to be ignored! I'd be fuming, hope they are looking after you a bit better this time round.
A similar thing happened to my cousin, the didn't believe that her waters had gone, and said she has wet herself! She was in labour a week before they did anything, and when they eventually got the baby out (she was fine) my cousin kept on bleeding very nearly needed a hysterectomy and about 30 units of blood!

mama good to hear your hanging in there and so is stubborn bean! I'm feeling ok, still get the waves of nausea and tiredness no blooming in this house yet!
17+4

itsaruddygame Wed 24-Oct-12 10:21:51

Bona - yes I am definately finding out the sex. I can't wait - 3 weeks on Friday until my scan. I am convinced its a boy - will be happy with either but it will be a suprise if its a girl!

Mama - I don't know if you like reading but if you do I can highly recommend the 100 year old man who climbed out of the window and dissapeared. I am reading it at the moment and it is utterly ridiculous and bloody hilarious.

Is anyone considering a doppler (or have you already used one for a previous pregnancy?) I fancy getting one but my Mum thinks I will become neurotic if I get one (me - neurotic - never!). I really enjoyed hearing the heartbeat at my appointment this week and think that it would be great to listen in on a regular basis however I suppose it could cause issues if I can't hear it!

Good luck to those re: bleeding and with other health concerns. Mine seems to have more or less stopped so hoping it stays away for good this time!

MrsSimkins Wed 24-Oct-12 10:54:31

Wow haven't been on here for ages! Can't believe we're on part 4!
Well I'm 16+2 and am finally feeling alive again. I definitely have more energy. Had a little panic last week my hair started falling out but my hairdresser it was probably down to the fact that I have bleached hair and with the baby taking a lot of the goodness out of my hair it just could tolerate it anymore so I now have a red pixie crop style hair do which I would never in a million years of done otherwise but actually quite love it! As does DH thank god!
We won't be finding out the sex as I've been told by a few friends that the urge to find out what you've been carrying around inside you for 9 months helps you find some extra energy to push when your exhausted in labour! I like the idea of it being a surprise too.
Hope everyones stats 'glowing' soon xxx

Mama1980 Wed 24-Oct-12 10:57:07

grin

MumofWombat Wed 24-Oct-12 11:28:53

I think my Drs might be sick of the sight of me.
Monday, DH frogmarched me in as I had been feeling very dizzy, faint and unwell. After a fairly lengthy check up, they felt it was probably viral, and told me to have bed/sofa rest. Got home to find a letter from them saying they had results of mine, and that these meant I needed I make an appointment to talk to a dr. I panicked. Panicked and fretted all night until our appointment yesterday. All it was was that it is a new practice and paperwork is coming out of anywhere and everywhere. It was a copy of my discharge from DS recommending contraception! Bit late now!!
I was so relieved - the earliest appt wasn't with our normal Dr, so once we told him the very shortened story of DS (my discharge letter from 18 months ago made it there but our medical records haven't yet....) he understood my anxiety and apologised for the letter going out to me.
And today DS had his 18month immunisation, so we were there again!
Still feeling dizzy at times, by not as bad thank goodness.
I'm going to aim tomorrow for no visits to the Drs!

I think we might find out the gender this time. We didn't last time, and we loved not knowing, but I think I want to be able to get a bit more organised in advance this time. Also, we cannot agree on any boy names, so it might help to know if we need to continue ploughing through books/Internet for inspiration or whether just to short list the oodles of girls names we like. But I think it's a boy. DHs family only seem to have produced boy sperm for generations now.....

trying2bpos Wed 24-Oct-12 12:17:53

mama love the halloween smiley so back at you wink

Gosh you lot are really making me wonder about not finding out the sex now! The names thing and getting rid of lots of boys clothes would be good but not a good reason really. confused

I don't know if I am having pg clumsiness or what but after trying to suppress a coughing attack (cold still raging) in a meeting this morning I poured coffee everywhere, tried to go and get papertowels to clean up only to come back and find someone else had done it for me with towels we already had in the room. Talk about making a spectacle of your self. blush.

jaqueline I don't know why they're so weird with the whole waters breaking thing surely most woman know the difference. They made me sit on a mat for 30 mins in the hospital (even though I had taken in several sanitary towels and had seen the mucous plug, sorry if tmi) and were weird when I said after 20 mins I need to go to the toilet, 'oh well if you go now we'll only have to start the 30 min again'. Mind you after I decided to go anyway they soon realised my waters had gone when they looked at the mat (ergh)!

mama what is sleeping on left side better for? It's naturally my fave side but find myself on front back and right side at the moment as sleep is so disturbed.

I found it took me til at least 15w to feel somewhat normal, less exhausted and nauseous, so hope you all start to feel better very soon! Definitely no bloom in sight and still a bit spotty sad!

Wow mammoth post better go and do some work!
OO the thought of a bacon sandwich just popped into my head, damn it!

jj247 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:07:35

Hi, I'm new on here can I join in? smile Expecting my first (at the grand old age of 40, well 41 by the time bean arrives!) on 22nd April. Super excited but still scared to be... hoping 20week scan helps alleviates fears when that finally comes round, although was lovely seeing little bean (doing somersaults, super wriggly!) last week and finally believing that it wasn't all just in my imagination smile

Missmuffet28 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:17:31

Welcome jj smile

trying2bpos Wed 24-Oct-12 13:47:50

Congratulations and welcome jj. I had my first at 40 and will be just 42 for second, it's no age at all really. grin There's a couple of us older mums on here too.

itsaruddygame Wed 24-Oct-12 14:39:00

Re: The left side thing I read somewhere that it is to do with the position of the stomach and that in later pregnancy when everything is getting really squashed the left side is better as the stomach does not get as crunched up. Can't remember where I read this though!!

bext Wed 24-Oct-12 14:59:17

Hi all,
Choco, glad to hear it's not too bad. Hang on in there.

We had scan yesterday at 13w and saw it dancing around - no wonder i've been feeling awful given the kick boxing it was doing.

Nuchel fold was really thin, but beacuse of my age (36) and I had one raised hormone, it reduced our downs risk to 1 in 92. We had a long debate about it - being over 36 automatically brings your risk factor down to 1 in 200 and the cut off point for amnio is 1 in 150.
We decided in the end not to have amnio though - the risk of miscarriage is 1 in 100, so we're basically looking at equal odds on either having a baby with downs or losing the baby by finding out.

Perhaps I'm burying my head in the sand, but i've decided i'd rather enjoy the pregnancy, assume nothing is wrong, and deal with it at the end if it does end up having downs.

Anyone else faced a similar choice?
x

bext Wed 24-Oct-12 15:03:40

Oh and re the sleeping on the left thing, there's a good piece on babycentre about it. Apparently it "helps blood and nutrients to flow to your baby and uterus and helps your kidneys get rid of waste and fluids. This position will help you to get comfortable and sleep better as your bump grows."

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/sleep/basicsofgoodsleep/#ixzz2AE1LvLvR

This thread is not accepting new messages.