Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013....from Flumper to Bump! (Part 4)

(1000 Posts)
toobreathless Mon 22-Oct-12 22:13:07

Over here!

Another place for us April 2013 Ladies!

We have old thread & stats threads as below:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1569780-April-2013-part-3-scan-scan-scan

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1560543-April-2013-stats-thread

As the days darken & winter approaches may this thread bring us all blossoming bumps, peaceful nights & more friendship and laughter.

BonaDea Tue 23-Oct-12 12:28:36

Hi everyone and thanks for the shiny new thread OP grin

Was at high risk clinic this morning - everything fine, got to listen into heartbeat. Just 2.5 weeks to go until 20 week scan and cardiac scan then I can breath a sigh of relief and perhaps even start buying some baby gear.

Hope everyone else is well. My bump is definitely not a flump any more, although if I breath in I could probably still pass for not pregnant!

BonaDea Tue 23-Oct-12 12:42:48

Actually - that reminds me, who is finding out the sex or not and why have you made that choice?

I can't decide what to do. Am so tempted to find out but at the same time don't want to ruin the lovely surprise!

usernamegoeshere Tue 23-Oct-12 12:52:24

I went for my quad test today & they did my booking in bloods at same time, apparently I will hear this week if there is a problem.

Was a bit worried as Quad gives 1 in 27 chance of a screen positive result (1 in 150 or less chance of chromosomal abnormality) while nuchal/blood seems to have a much lower rate of positives, but it was explained to me that combined just has a lot more ways to check than quad.

My booking in & 16 week appointment is next Monday at 3pm. What actually happens at those appointments?

BonaDea Tue 23-Oct-12 12:54:45

Booking in they just take a full medical history (and I mean FULL) to find out about any risk factors health wise, talk about your family circumstances and what support you have at home etc. It is just them getting the basics in your file.

I didn't have a 16 week appointment as such as I'm seen every two weeks, but would imagine they will take blood pressure, listen to baby's heartbeat (yay!) and weigh you to check all is on track.

usernamegoeshere Tue 23-Oct-12 12:55:45

Bona I am finding out sex, OH really wants it to be a boy and he has been so miserable about the whole baby thing that I think I should just find out and get it over with.

usernamegoeshere Tue 23-Oct-12 12:56:17

thanks Bona that doesn't sound too scary then!

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Tue 23-Oct-12 13:09:20

I'm hoping to find out too. I'm not patient enough to wait.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 23-Oct-12 13:24:55

Hi all! Well we went back to have the repeat scan today - this baby is such a monkey! Today it was still in an awkward position curled over! After lots and lots of pushing around she got my measurements and NT done. Turns out I'm a bit further along then I thought! So I'm 14+0 today and due date is now 23rd April. NT was 1.6 so while obviously waiting for the blood test results I'm quite happy with that.

14+0

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Tue 23-Oct-12 14:51:21

My husband is being mean. He's pushing me to eat more fruit. I eat lots of veg but don't really like fruit, can just about manage the occasional banana. But I've been making an effort for the baby's sake. Husband however is having none of it and insists that a Terry's chocolate orange is NOT fruit. Bah, he's knows nothing.

trying2bpos Tue 23-Oct-12 15:17:04

Hey everyone, when I saw the MW yesterday at the 16w appt I got her to look at my Downs blood results and I now think I know what the combined test looks at:
bHCG
PappA
NT
results are combined with your age to give the risk factor!
I would never have got to see these results if I hadn't asked her about it and info about what they actually test for wasn't in any of my information.

So nothing to do with testing in different areas ages or anything like I thought previously.

I think they measure AFP, oestriol, inhibin A and total HCG with the quad test which is usually done if they can't get the NT or miss the window.

I have no clue what the ranges of these things are in real terms though as seems all the calculations are done using MoM (multiples of the median).

Anyway thought I would share that apologies to all of you who already knew this.

bona hoping for a surprise as that's what we did last time.

JessieEssex Tue 23-Oct-12 16:15:18

I think we might find out but not decided yet. DD was a surprise, which I loved, but not sure if we can resist this time!

Feeling really shaky as have got a massive dent and scratch in the car due to some crap driving in a tricky situation. Scraped against a parked land rover (which thankfully hasn't got a scratch on it) while trying to turn around on a very narrow road with cars parked all along one side. I told my DH that the car 'looks like its been punched by a giant'. He's sooooo lovely though, and just said not to worry and that it's just a car and the insurance will sort it and not to stress myself out. Although he hasnt actually seen it yet...

Giddypants Tue 23-Oct-12 17:01:10

choco so glad to hear everything ok

Just got back from consultant, she has put me on aspirin due to previous placental abrupt ion and the notches on my arteries. Which I'm pleased about, she tried to suggest having a VBAC but I wasn't keen, need everything to be controlled etc so having a CS at 39 weeks all being well, also having frequent growth scans at 23,28,32 and 36 weeks

SneezySnatcher Tue 23-Oct-12 17:08:25

Wow! Two pages on the new thread already! Checking in to say hello.

16+3

EmpressMatilda Tue 23-Oct-12 17:09:03

Hello new thread!

Nothing much to report here. Bad nights, tiredness, occasional tummy twinges. Same as everyone else!

Clothes are troubling me. Skirts and trousers uncomfortable round the waist but bump not big enough to hold up maternity trousers!

Totally forgot to try and work out gender from baby's heartbeat. I think I was just so pleased it was beating at a healthy rate and I could hear it! Ah well, hopefully we'll find out at scan.

I recommend antenatal yoga classes by the way. I think they're really going to help.

16+4

JaquelineHyde Tue 23-Oct-12 17:20:29

user I am having my quad test at my 16 week appointment but other than that I think it is just the usual, blood pressure, listen for heartbeat and check your wee sample.

giddy I am going to be having regular growth scans as well as about the same stages as you as in my first pg my waters went at around 30 weeks (mum thinks it was 28 weeks and I think it was 32 weeks so we have settled at 30) yet I didn't go into labour until 34 weeks so they want to keep scanning to see what the bloody hell is going on grin

Still trying not to worry about the cyst on the placenta or the unusualy enlarged bowel that was picked up at 12 weeks as I have been told until 20 weeks there isn't much else that can be done or said, it's just a waiting game to see what develops.

Abort 67 were picketing my uni entrance yetserday which really upset me as they force you to view the most disturbing pictures you can imagine. I was just apalled that anyone can think that it is fare to force the viewing of such graphic images on people sad angry Apparently they are coming back soon so I have asked the SU to keep me informed if they hear when etc.

14+5

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 23-Oct-12 17:41:27

choco glad things are ok. What a scary Time for you! I hope you can relax a bit now!

Empress I've found certain larger clothes still fit - my weight has always fluctuated! - and certain under bump maternity stuff is ok. Work trousers (standard uniform) are a problem, I'm going to have to ask my boss for maternity stuff soon!

giddy it's good that you've got those choices sorted now - what happens if you go into labour before 39 weeks?! (Devil's advocate!)

We are going to find out what we're having. Some people have been really funny with us about it, saying we're spoiling the surprise but surely that's our choice?! hmm
It feels really odd today - I went in for a repeat 12 week scan and came out at 14 weeks! We're starting to think more seriously about what we really need baby wise.

choco sooo pleased that they are taking good care of you.

Jessieessex had nausea still the last week or so, but less today after a few yoga stretches this morn. Exercise seems to help. But I'm exhausted too. It's a head balance.

havealittlefaith I got moved again too, so also 14 weeks today, due 23rd and 1.6mm measurement. Snap!

We will find out the sex. I was all for a surprise before BFP, but now its real we will need all the time we can get to agree on a name! DH is more traditional and I like something a bit different...watch the feathers fly! grin

Teapig Tue 23-Oct-12 18:36:26

Yay, new thread. Welcome to the newbies, only a couple more needed for us to hit 100.

Great news choco I'm so pleased baby is doing well.

Mama I think you mentioned about sleeping on your left side. I read that's the best side to sleep on while pg and am giving it a go though I am definitely a right-sider at heart. I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

As for gender we're going to find out as I'm too impatient to wait and DH is keen to find out too.

kellestar Tue 23-Oct-12 18:43:43

choco glad to hear you and baby are okay. Good to hear they have an action plan in place to monitor the bleeding.

jessieessex it's a hard argument as I feel so much better, nausea wise, after a walk with DD. During the walk I feel pretty ill and have heaved a few times in a hedge. [now take a bottle of water and some sawdust]. Once I'm back from my walk the nausea has eased, but I'm then feeling like I need a nap and as DD doesn't nap I just collapse on the sofa and snuggle up for a bit. Defeats the object, almost. smile

havealittlefaith Glad to hear the scan went well and you've got an actual due date.

We are not going to find out. We didn't with DD and it was a lovely surprise, it was a good job she was a girl as we had a selection of lovely girls name and it was easy to agree our choice. Boys names were hard to think of. They are this time, we had a chat just last night about names and we are just stumped when it comes to boys names and yet we have already got a big list of lovely girls names to go with DD.

I listened to the heartbeat on my doppler [a friend had borrowed it] and DH found it quite easily, though s/he kept wiggling and we could hear the kicks against the doppler [sound like little pops] and I heard galloping [just like DD].

Going by this...
Girl
Either
Girl
Either
Girl
Girl
Girl

smile I love these old wives tales. I loved hearing all the relatives having their opinion on how the bump was carrying, if I slept on the left or right, how I looked. DD should have been a Boy according to the results last time... so they aren't entirely right. But it's still fun.

Dandelion75 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:44:17

You're not alone birdbrain and somewhere. MS had pretty much gone away for a couple of weeks, by since Friday 'the quease' (as its known in our house) is well and truly back and just feel like I want to puke 24/7. confused

Someone. ANYONE. Tell me you have got the second trimester energy burst, and its not just an urban myth! Surely one of us must have got it by now. Anyone? smile

Rivergirly Tue 23-Oct-12 18:50:56

Hi

Just checking in -finally caught up on the last thread - been too knackered to face the laptop in the evenings after all day at work but finally over the really knackered and sicky phase. Phew!

I have had 2 scans already - on the first the baby was too dinky to be measured so had to go back and now I have been put back a week sad - so currently 14 + 5.

Next week - during half term so both ds' have to come too - I have my 16 week check- cant wait to hear the heartbeat and know that things are going along nicely - seem to be more worried this time than I was before with either my DS'.

We will defo find out the baby's sex if they can tell us but only one of us will be happy - i really would like just 1 pink one as I am soooo outnumbered already and DP really wants a boy to carry on the family name - 2 ds' are from my previous marriage! Easier to know whether to keep the boys' things or clear them out too if we know what we are expecting and narrow down name decisions!

Dandelion75 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:53:18

Missed a page - this thread is moving fast! We are not planning to find out the gender although many people seem surprised by that. Think most people I know did tend to find out.

I've got 16 week appointment with MW tomorrow too and am also counting down the the days to 20 week scan - 29 to go grin

16+5

birdbrain17 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:56:34

thanks dandelion energy burst is not a myth I was very happy to have started mine till I ended up back in bed due to being up all night throwing up hmm

JaquelineHyde Tue 23-Oct-12 19:22:55

I didn't want to find out but DH does and I have been convinced.

Basically my argument was that I wanted a lovely surprise and DH's argument was surely it will be a lovely surprise no matter when we find out.

My mum then waded in and reminded me that after just going through labour your not really up for revelling in the surprise etc.

So I caved in and will now find out......

However, we won't just be told by the sonographer, we are going to ask for it to be written on a bit of paper and put in a sealed envelope so that we can open it privately together over a nice dinner or in a place we choose that will make it more personal and special etc.

Giddypants Tue 23-Oct-12 19:31:12

Oh faith I'd not thought of that blush I suppose I go in and ask for a section please? Will ask the mw when I see her on Thursday.

We're not finding out the gender this time round, I knew with DS. But I knew he was a boy anyway so just a confirmation, DH didn't want to know so had to keep it to myself and my mum for 4 months!
This time I have no vibes, DH thinks girl, and my mum is desperate to find out but I really want a surprise this time, and I'm getting used to not knowing, will buy a few neutral things when the time comes.

This thread is not accepting new messages.