Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013 Third Thread.

(997 Posts)
SecretCervix Tue 16-Oct-12 09:47:10

Sorry for the not very imaginative title. Noticed old thread was full and couldn't find a new one.

LittleBairn Fri 16-Nov-12 12:49:24

panda I think in that case since your close it would be worth considering writing or calling to her and explaining how hurtful her attitude was and that it ruined your evening.

elly wonderful news. smile

Bit odd but has anyone felt really odd after the scan almost like its to strange to be real? I find it hard to believe that wiggly little baby is really inside me, it almost seemed more real before the scan I expected it to be the other ways around.

SeaSalt1 Fri 16-Nov-12 12:49:44

Oh dear, horrible horrible moment - I'm in the middle of f-ing no-where in Bali and have been feeling ill with bad MS all week, finally felt well enough to go out for dinner tonight at a restaurant and even felt hungry (which I haven't felt for weeks). Ordered a fairly simple main and the CHICKEN WAS UNCOOKED. I didn't realise because it was dark and ate a few mouthfuls. When I realised I was horrified, it was practically clucking.

I've tried to do EVERYTHING right for the bean and then I go and bl**dy eat uncooked chicken, I'm so upset. I WANT TO COME HOME. I've already thrown my guts up this week and I really really don't want to again, and above all I don't want to hurt my baby. I managed to get hold of a doctor friend on skype and he was reassuring. I just pray I won't get food poisoning - please please send positive thoughts my way.

LittleBairn Fri 16-Nov-12 12:54:47

seasalt that's awful! What was the restaurant excuse for giving raw chicken?
It doesn't sound like your enjoying your holiday much, if anything it sounds stressful, is it worth going home early?

MooLL Fri 16-Nov-12 13:02:09

RT many thanks and reassuring you are onto DC3! Must admit I wasn't worried about it before getting pregnant, however a lot of people have raised the issue with NE when I say I am pregnant again and it's now festering at the back of my mind! I am so pleased your chat at FMC helped ... And how fascinating to see him drink and pee - their scan machines are awesome there!

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 13:05:50

moo I also had PE with DS, and was consultant led with DD and this pregnancy. I'm on a low dose of aspirin. I only saw my consultant twice last time, but did see my GP more regularly towards the end. I'd recommend getting a home blood pressure monitor so you can keep an eye on it yourself, I certainly found it reassuring last time. You can also buy wee dipsticks from amazon to check for protein too.

panda to be honest I wouldn't make a big deal about your aunts response. Of course she was bloody rude and completely out of order, but to dwell on it will only make you more angry about it. As long as you're happy it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if she can't be happy for you that's her problem, ignore and don't let it ruin your pregnancy. How old is DS by the way? Mine was almost 4 when DD was born, we involved him in everything and he loves DD to bits, he's a better brother than I could ever have imagined. FWIW we had a hard time from people when I was pregnant with DD, many people thought we were selfish wanting another child when we knew there was a risk of muscular dystrophy, as though they thought we hadn't thought about it hmm. Some of them still won't speak to us now. This time we're only telling people we know will be happy and supportive, everyone else can sod off as far as I'm concerned!

12+0 (again!)

SeaSalt1 Fri 16-Nov-12 13:06:05

Thanks for posting Little. They said it was a mistake, but they didn't seem to grasp that it was very serious and quite dangerous to serve raw meat. Sorry to make my holiday sound awful, I really am very grateful to have one and there have been good bits - we have mainly just rested, which I really needed, and it has been great not to have to go to work, there have just been a couple of low moments... Fingers crossed for no tummy bug.

MooLL Fri 16-Nov-12 13:08:59

Thanks seven I've already got a monitor due to the post pregnancy pe last time ( it gets quite addictive doesn't it!) ... Slightly fretting as I'm allergic to aspirin but will see what they say, but again reassuring to hear the level of monitoring both you and RT were/ are given

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 13:11:52

X-post, bloody hell seasalt that's awful! I've got everything crossed for you.

tasmaniandevilchaser Fri 16-Nov-12 13:42:39

hi all, I've been lurking but been on the iPad and I can't type properly on it.

beaut hope you're feeling ok. I think it's a good idea to see your mw and be honest with her. Baby weight can be lost afterwards with a sensible diet and exercise but your baby needs feeding right now. I think the advice of eating little and often sounds good.

It's really interesting to hear everyone's thought on the nuchal scan. I didn't know it tested for other conditions apart from Down Syndrome. I didn't have one, mainly because I can't handle any more stress at the moment. I know so many people that went through awful stress with a "high risk" result from the screening test and then didn't have a baby with Down Syndrome. I felt a bit bullied by my sonographer when I didn't want one, I'm still annoyed about it. I work in a special school and tbh Down Syndrome would be the least of my worries. Botched deliveries are much more damaging. sad

RT hope you are feeling ok after your scan. I know what you mean about needing a definitive answer but trying to move on sounds like a good plan.

littlebairn great news on the scan. I know what you mean about feeling relief that it's not a MMC, time to relax now! smile

cuppa, elly and seven great news on your scan too smile

berri happy to hear that your tear is stable

seasalt uncooked chicken, you poor thing! The last thing you need, but if you're feeling ok ish now, then it's likely to be fine. I hope your MS is starting to go and you can really enjoy your lovely holiday. The sickness sounds like a good sign to me that you will have a happy scan on Monday.

We're supposed to be moving at the beginning of next year, I am not looking forward to it. Any tips on keeping stress levels down and making it a bit easier?

wilde glad to hear you got a lovely consultant and some reassurance, I like what she/he said, I'm going to remember that one!

panda I'm absolutely gobsmacked at what your aunt said. Very very odd. Hope you have been able to take a few deep breaths and let it all go.

Just had a chest X-ray as the GP didn't think I'd totally kicked the pneumonia. She thinks I might have infected fluid on the lungs. On the plus side she's signed me off work for 2 more weeks. That will be a month off work. If only I didn't have to have pneumonia to get it. I was stressed about having an X-ray but a midwife told me the radiation is the equivalent of a flight to New York, so I'll just have this chest X-ray instead of a holiday.

Phew, sorry for the epic post, I need to keep up to date a bit more! Hope everyone else is ok.

wilderumpus Fri 16-Nov-12 13:44:28

oh seasalt! You poor thing! FWIW I was given raw chicken in guatemala after a week of shitty food poisoning and it taught me generally that when in a dodgy country do not eat chicken! i didn't get food poisoning from that tho, actually.

Didn't stop me eating chicken in India though and having food poisoning again

<hoiks bosom for lecture> don't eat chicken, or meat at all actually and be veggy then you will steer clear of the bugs. Don't eat salad either or drink taop water, obvs sad Also, don't think that posh hotels will give you decently cooked food over street places! (made all these mistakes and paid for it, got dead skinny mind hmm)

And DON'T eat at my house as I gave my actual self food poisoning a few weeks ago from houmous hmm

such big love and empathy chuck, hope you are just fine though and didnae fret about the baby.

<takes off patronising pants>

little yes I feel just the same. scan after scan i have had and still can't really link the baby on the screen to one in my bump!

wilderumpus Fri 16-Nov-12 13:44:41

have we got a new thread yet?!

wilderumpus Fri 16-Nov-12 13:46:57

sorry x posted tas. we are moving early next year too, am dreading it and excited too. we can be moving buddies.

soooo sorry to hear about your infected lungs, you poor thing! i hope it clears up soon and yay for more time off work get those boxsets out smile

tasmaniandevilchaser Fri 16-Nov-12 13:47:06

seasalt forgot to say I ate some dodgy chicken in Cambodia and within a hour I was very very very ill out of both ends (sorry TMI), so if you're ok now then I'd think you'll be ok. Don't go confusing normal nausea with the start of food poisoning though. Hope you're feeling better, and the rest of your pg is stressfree.

tasmaniandevilchaser Fri 16-Nov-12 13:49:53

oh wilde your post induced a coughing fit. grin I gave my actual self food poisoning a few weeks ago from houmous I'd be putting that on my CV under greatest achievements!

wilderumpus Fri 16-Nov-12 14:03:29

<preens> thanks tas grin am such a twat.

SeaSalt1 Fri 16-Nov-12 14:07:52

Oooh, thank you thank you thank you everyone for making me feel better and (even more importantly) making me laugh! You are brilliant. Hooray for Mumsnet smile

LittleBairn Fri 16-Nov-12 14:08:42

wild that's is impressive food poisoning from Hummus!
Glad I'm not the only one to feel odd about the scan, I was feeling a bit guilty. I'm sure once I have a bump and can feel it move I'll feel it's really is my baby they are showing me. blush

DH keeps telling me off for calling the baby, he, I can't help it I call all babies He. I think he's suspicious I've been telepathically communicating with the baby and know its a he. hmm

wilderumpus Fri 16-Nov-12 14:20:34

yeah little it was a really wanky thing to do. I think it was my food processor, I didn't clean it out and I guess it must have grown bacteria while I didn't use it. sure as heck it can't have been in-date tahini, chickpeas or olive oil! so, have upped my hygiene to, er, normal levels blush

LittleBairn Fri 16-Nov-12 15:00:12

Lol wild I'm sure it's happened to loads of people. I've noticed a few times my blender has been less than sparkling...I've still used it. blush

Seasalt Awful that you were served uncooked chicken but if only had a bit I'm sure it will be fine.

I just had a good cry.I am so emotional at the moment never had any of this before.

I have a midwife appt next week and I plan on asking about a c section.Bit worried as not sure it will go down too well.I think it's better to ask sooner rather than later.
Rt was it you that said you are also going to ask for a c section.

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 17:44:26

wilde I'm afraid I did laugh at you giving yourself food poisoning, sorry!

seasalt glad to hear you're still feeling ok.

beaut is there a reason why you want a c-section? I know they were talking on the news a few months ago about how all women should be allowed a section if they want one, does anyone know if they actually bought it in or not?

We nearly need a new thread!

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 16-Nov-12 17:55:03

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now