Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

May 2013 Third Thread.

(997 Posts)
SecretCervix Tue 16-Oct-12 09:47:10

Sorry for the not very imaginative title. Noticed old thread was full and couldn't find a new one.

shelly81 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:36:42

Hi girlies .... Is anyone gettin any aches at the top of ya stomach about 2inch above belly button .. Saw midwife today for booking in appt who said its all fine n don't worry as its probably ligament pain but I don't remember this with other 2 pg and am a little worried even tho she said its fine ..... (Stressed and paranoid & feeling very sorry for myself as iv been poorly) thanks ladies xxxx

10storeylovesong Tue 16-Oct-12 20:43:47

For the love of God! Just one evening meal without throwing up... That's all I ask for! Is that too much?! I'm 12 weeks tomorrow - thought it was supposed to be getting better any time soon?!

LittleBairn Tue 16-Oct-12 20:56:07

10 Im the same evening meals are the worst. Hopefully now your 12 weeks it will gradually go.
I had a bag of sweets tonight instead of dinner, bad idea I'm now crashing after a massive sugar high. I just needed something other than mini chedders, once my MS is gone I'm certain I will never eat another mini ever again!

Hi all.Sorry having a very busy week as im away on work training.Long and boring just want next week to hurry up as we all have the week off together plus scan on Thursday.

Those of you that have bought a doppler which one have you bought and did you purchase gel as well.I think DP would love one.

10+4

MaybeAMayBaby Tue 16-Oct-12 21:10:04

Found you all! And already 3 pages long.

I want a Doppler too! Never ha one last time but I think DD (3 next month) would love it. She keeps saying when I'm I'll that she'll take the baby out of my tummy and hold it for a while so I feel better. I bloody love that kid.

Haven't had pains above belly button but have tonight had stretchy pains in groin sad. I guess it's all ligaments.

MaybeAMayBaby Tue 16-Oct-12 21:10:28

9+2. Had to look that up!

rachywhite83 Tue 16-Oct-12 21:23:46

So glad people are getting ligament pain too. Been really feeling it this evening.

I'm also feeling fat today sad DH thinks we are having twins because I'm so fat !!!

Only 2 weeks today till scan (!) thank goodness got a week in Tunisia between now and then to take my mind off things

seven77 Tue 16-Oct-12 21:28:06

Hi kitty.

berri I can't believe the Doppler worked already! Must have been great hearing it so soon, the 16 week MW appointment feels ages away, as does 12 weeks for my scan for that matter.

wilde glad the scan went well.

cuppateaandagingersnap Tue 16-Oct-12 22:11:26

Hi all on new thread smile

beaut you can use ordinary KY jelly or any water based lubricant for the Doppler, much cheaper and exactly the same.

I have my in-laws coming to visit this weekend, don't think I'll get away with not telling them as it will be pretty obvious when I don't have anything to drink and then slink off to bed at 9pm, haven't told my parents yet either and they live pretty far away but close to in-laws, am I a bad person for thinking about telling my in-laws before my own parents, partly want to wait until after 12 week scan and partly want to put off all the advice and newspaper clippings that will inevitably follow telling my mum - she is an avid newspaper and journal reader and frequently sends me envelopes stuffed full of things she thinks will or should interest me - including local (to her) jobs and houses, she means well and it's lovely to know she's thinking about me but can get a bit trying at times. Question is can I trust my MIL not to tell my mum she knew first.......

Sorry- ramble!!

twinklingelephant Tue 16-Oct-12 22:42:31

Wowzers! Just caught up on old thread & already 3 pages here! This is what I tried to post on old thread....
littlebairn I'm right with you on the mini cheddars! I can't get enough of them!
I'm a bit late at joining the topic of telling friends. Even though we've yet to tell our siblings (we'll tell them this weekend when we hit the magic 12!) we told a couple who are our good friends very early on. Partly as drinking oj & lemonade twice in a row instead of cider was a huge giveaway but also cos their son was an ivf baby & theyve been trying for another & have pretty much got to the end of the road, facing that it will probably never happen again. Totally gutting. They are beautiful people and amazing parents to their boy. We were so worried about telling them, of course they've been so happy for us but I'm sure it's also difficult. Great comfort in having their son at all though I spose.
I'm also really hoping my colleague who is exactly one week later than me is doing ok. She's had 2 mc in the past 18 months or so & has been off work so far this week. Would just be terrible if one of us had an mc. Who knows - maybe she is one of you!!!! Fingers crossed she's ok and everything is fine.
12 wk scan a week tomorrow. Sooooo excited!! 11+3 today & counting down the days!!

twinklingelephant Tue 16-Oct-12 22:44:42

Oh, and kittykat I was told 2 hours as well but turned out about 1. Wee sample, blood tests, tons of 'have you ever had...' qs as well as alcohol/drugs etc. weight & height. Then a brief description of what happens next! All very friendly & relaxed. Good luck!!

PedanticPanda Tue 16-Oct-12 22:51:21

How much does the Doppler cost?

berri Wed 17-Oct-12 03:12:07

I got mine from eBay (from a company, not second-hand!) but we are living in the USA at the mo so I'm not sure if eBay uk do them.

The brand is Angelcare and it was $25 including a small tube of gel (around £15 but think they are more expensive in the uk for some reason).

You can get them on Amazon too but I chose eBay as it was super-speedy delivery and I'm so impatient! It says on the packet that it only works from 14-16 weeks so I might just be lucky that I can pick it up. My doc tried around 10 weeks and couldn't...

11+6

goldmaple Wed 17-Oct-12 03:33:28

Hi ladies! Sorry I have been MIA for a bit (the whole second thread). I'm so exhausted by the end of the day (actually by about 2pm) that I can't keep up (but I lurk)! I am going to try and catch up now...

rachy I am also very bloated (or can we blame the babies now - how big are they??) my DH waited until I was about 5 months pregnant last time to tell me I looked fat. It seemed like he had been wanting to say it for a long timesad

wilde glad the scan went well!! Apparently seeing the nose is a very good thing. Rules out something... can't remember what though

twinklingelephant and littlebairn I'm with you both on the mini cheddars! keep some beside my bed blush

10storey and everyone else with fatigue and MS. I really hope that it will start to get better soon! After all iMS ends at 12 weeks right?! RIght?!maybeababy your DD sounds adorable!! What a great age too! Sounds like she can't wait to be a big sister.

I don't know if anyone will remember but I had two big red bleeds at 5+5 and 6+3 in this pregnancy. The baby was okay after both, but I have a 'sub chorionic hemorrhage' which is basically a big blood clot in my uterus. Last time I saw the baby he was 21mm long and the clot was 50mm... Baby was fine. The doctor said the problem would be when the placenta implanted. If it tried to implante on the clot instead of the uterus there is nothing they can do and the baby probably wouldn't make it. They said I would know (aka more bleeding) if something went wrong and there has been no blood. Of course this has not gotten rid of my fears. At 8 weeks they thought the uterus looked thicker away from the clot - so they hoped that was the placenta. I have my scan this Monday at 12+3 and now I'm worried about what we'll find.
Reading this thread is reassuring. It seems like quite a few of us have 'bad' feelings about how our scans will go. I guess I am just expecting the worst...
THanks for letting me rantsmile DH is really relaxed about everything, but sometimes I feel like he just doesn't get it?!

Hope everyone gets good news in the next few weeks as scans are happening!

goldmaple Wed 17-Oct-12 03:37:51

Hi ladies! Sorry I have been MIA for a bit (the whole second thread). I'm so exhausted by the end of the day (actually by about 2pm) that I can't keep up (but I lurk)! I am going to try and catch up now...

rachy I am also very bloated (or can we blame the babies now - how big are they??) my DH waited until I was about 5 months pregnant last time to tell me I looked fat. It seemed like he had been wanting to say it for a long timesad

wilde glad the scan went well!! Apparently seeing the nose is a very good thing. Rules out something... can't remember what though

twinklingelephant and littlebairn I'm with you both on the mini cheddars! keep some beside my bed blush

10storey and everyone else with fatigue and MS. I really hope that it will start to get better soon! After all MS ends at 12 weeks right?! RIght?!maybeababy your DD sounds adorable!! What a great age too! Sounds like she can't wait to be a big sister.

I don't know if anyone will remember but I had two big red bleeds at 5+5 and 6+3 in this pregnancy. The baby was okay after both, but I have a 'sub chorionic hemorrhage' which is basically a big blood clot in my uterus. Last time I saw the baby he was 21mm long and the clot was 50mm... Baby was fine. The doctor said the problem would be when the placenta implanted. If it tried to implante on the clot instead of the uterus there is nothing they can do and the baby probably wouldn't make it. They said I would know (aka more bleeding) if something went wrong and there has been no blood. Of course this has not gotten rid of my fears. At 8 weeks they thought the uterus looked thicker away from the clot - so they hoped that was the placenta. I have my scan this Monday at 12+3 and now I'm worried about what we'll find.
Reading this thread is reassuring. It seems like quite a few of us have 'bad' feelings about how our scans will go. I guess I am just expecting the worst...
THanks for letting me rantsmile DH is really relaxed about everything, but sometimes I feel like he just doesn't get it?!

Hope everyone gets good news in the next few weeks as scans are happening!

goldmaple Wed 17-Oct-12 03:39:41

Oopsies... not sure how I posted that twice. Did I mention I'm tired?

Kittykatmacbill Wed 17-Oct-12 07:06:30

Must give this mini cheddar thing a try, I have oscillating between oat cakes and wotsits...mini cheddars might be the perfect middle way! smile

MaybeAMayBaby Wed 17-Oct-12 07:25:02

Great news, Gold. But what a roller coaster you've been on. Sending lots of positive vibe your way for your scan.
Gosh-a lot of you seem to have hit 12 weeks!

mwncigirl Wed 17-Oct-12 08:24:45

Hi everyone, another tired lurker here! I always seem to have things I want to share and write messages in my head, must get round to actually posting them!
We've got a family do at the weekend. We're staying in a hotel in a family room with DH's teenage daughters and our DS (age nearly three). Not got the scan till the week after. How on earth am I going to get away with not drinking, and being knackered after the journey and party? Really don't want to go but have to. It's the MIL's 70th birthday. Help!!!!!

mwncigirl Wed 17-Oct-12 08:30:59

Ps 10+6, I ate a whole trifle last night. Yumgrin

roastpotatoes Wed 17-Oct-12 08:35:14

Morning everyone,

cuppa we had similar dilemmas about whether we should tell the parents at the same time or not. In my case, we had to tell my parents early on (5 wks) because we were going on holiday with them and I couldn't eat anything etc. But in the end we thought we should tell my PIL as well, even though it was really early. People can be so sensitive about that sort of thing and we didn't want to upset them. But they've been great, not telling anyone and not getting too overly excited just yet. I love the idea of your Mum sending you parcels of clippings!

I seem to be having a relapse. I had started feeling a bit better at 10wks but my MS has come back with a vengeance yesterday and today. Urgh.

MooLL Wed 17-Oct-12 09:48:27

Morning ladies - seems we are all going through then 'when do we tell them' dillema. Im 10w at the weekend and parents coming to stay - going to tell them as frankly like a load of you its pretty obvious (currently acting like a zombie im soo exhausted) - at that point we will also let MIL and FIL plus silblings know and DH grandmother who is very ill .... she is 94 and sooo wanting us to have another baby (first thing she says every time we see her) ... given she may die any day we really want her to know we are preggers to make her happy before she goes (Im hoping the news of a new one coming make motivate her to stick around until next year)!

I am stealing myself for this week as its DD 3rd birthday (so need to make birthday cake plus cakes for her nursery), then entertaining parents for 2 days, then just agreed to have all DD godparents around for sunday lunch ... I am going to be exhausted (esp as we are not telling friends until 12 weeks) ...

booboomonster Wed 17-Oct-12 10:48:15

Hello wow new thread already! Yes I am attempting to hold out until scan to tell anyone... though this also includes just not seeing people as I am a blabbermouth face to face!!

Welcome and welcome back to newbies/ oldies! kitty my booking in took about 1 and half hours, and I didn't actually have to wait to be seen. like someone else said, lots of questions about family history, personal history, diet, health issues etc. Urine sample, blood samples, waiting in between both of those... height, weight and blood pressure. It all dragged on...

My nausea seems slightly better today... hoping this is not a bad sign. I'm 10 weeks tomorrow!

Kittykatmacbill Wed 17-Oct-12 11:03:40

Gosh some of you sound like you have had the most awful time, I have a lunchtime quease rather than morning sickness. But my boobs are so big it is restricting my arm movements! And really not fitting many clothes...

Re not telling it is hard work isn't it? We have been really lucky and not seen the PIL since 5 weeks. When I was slept loads, easy to explain had a fairly mammoth week at work. Although I have taken to avoiding my parents, I normally meet up with mum once a fortnight for coffee, so I guess they must notice... If the boobs haven't given it away. Just feels so terribly disingenuous! But only 3 weeks to go!

Re not drinking, claim to be on medication (assuming no pharmacists/doctors are present!), have a headache, feel under the weather or the horrible party trick of accepting a glass and either hold it or put down somewhere.... Good luck.

TerrorCottaPumpkinPie Wed 17-Oct-12 13:39:36

New thread already? I was only away for 2 days! Well, when I say away I mean away from MN. Had an ill 9yo to deal with. Thank god the diarrhoea didn't come my way grin.

Another one here not telling family until 12 weeks. I've had a friend that guessed early on and I told my boss last week just so she knew that I was going to be coming back from maternity leave pregnant. I only have just over 3 weeks left. Can't believe it's nearly over sad.

Main reason for not telling family pre 12 weeks this time is that I have done with all the others and my god does it make the pregnancy go on for ever. And ever. If they only have 6 months to wait until baby then we thought maybe it won't drag for us. <is aware there is no logic to this> Last time I was 2 weeks over my due date and it might as well have been 2 months.

<waves> to newbies and the oldies I haven't met yet from first thread smile

Sorry kitty but the boobs so big your arms can't move properly did make me smile grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now