Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

May 2013 Third Thread.

(997 Posts)
SecretCervix Tue 16-Oct-12 09:47:10

Sorry for the not very imaginative title. Noticed old thread was full and couldn't find a new one.

wilderumpus Tue 16-Oct-12 12:46:52

go pickle!

Picklep Tue 16-Oct-12 12:55:26

wilde haha go me!! I feel empowered again. Honestly thank god for this place!

Picklep Tue 16-Oct-12 13:03:40

I can only imagine what MIL would say if she found my Hypnobirthing book! red rag to a bull!

Ellypoo Tue 16-Oct-12 13:13:31

Wow - have missed so much - will read back to the start of this thread, but I think it would take far too long to catch up from when I last came on!!

Am 10+2 today, scan a week on Thursday - am getting paranoid that something has gone wrong though.

Still absolutely shattered, but not really any other symptons other than massively bloated!! Refuse to start wearing mat clothes until after scan.

SecretCervix Tue 16-Oct-12 13:18:43

PedanticPanda I was thinking of that but have already arranged to go by myself anyhow now. Mainly because appointment is 10:20am so will have to leave house early (by 8:15am) to get to hospital on time, and DD tends to sleep till anywhere between 8 and 8:30am at the moment so by time she has woken and had breakfast we would be massively late, so its quicker just to head by myself, I know it sounds bad but just one of those things I guess. Realistically it just wouldn't work as much as I would want them both to be there.

PedanticPanda Tue 16-Oct-12 13:23:10

beaver, my doctor also said they don't like to give medicine to pregnant women but if the sickness is really bad then they've got anti-sickness pills they can give if it's really needed. I think in your case it sounded like it was really needed so don't feel guilty or worry about what others say or think. I'm glad you're feeling better now and can eat more smile

This is my last day on the penicillin and I'm feeling much better, although the nausea is still just as bad and gets so much worse if I even get a tiny wiff of some salami, which unfortunately is my sons favourite food and one of the few things he'll eat so I can't ban it from the house.

PedanticPanda Tue 16-Oct-12 13:25:13

secret ah well it sounds like you've got it well planned out anyway. I've still not been contacted by my midwife so have no idea when my scan is.

seven77 Tue 16-Oct-12 13:49:44

pedantic I've also got no scan date yet, I'm so impatient! I've got my booking in tomorrow so hopefully she'll book it ASAP and I'll get the date for it next week.

pickle it's ok DH saying just ignore her but if its upsetting you DH should really have a polite but firm chat with her, better than it ending up as a full blown argument with you. Failing that I'd just tell her you've given all the options careful consideration and you've made your choice based on what you feel is best for YOUR family, you appreciate her concerns but the discussion is now closed.

I'm so tired today, pregnancy tiredness combined with DD having me up at 4:15 is not a good combination.

Good luck to all of those with upcoming scans, I'm with you on the worrying. I wasn't that worried with DS and DD, but after my mc last time I'm worried sick this time, especially as we desperately want a small age gap between DD and the next one.

8+1

roastpotatoes Tue 16-Oct-12 15:09:19

Hello, can I join? I am currently 10+2 and have my scan next Tues. This is my first pregnancy and I am finding it all a funny mix of exciting and completely overwhelming. Just had a read through of some of your posts and it seems great to be able to chat with people going through similar experiences.

I picked my name because after two months of feeling really grim and off my food, I suddenly had a craving for a roast dinner on Sunday - headed out and managing a huge plate of food - it was heaven. I'd forgotten what feeling hungry was like. Of course, back to feeling grim again now but it was a welcome respite.

I was born at home in the 70s! It was an active choice by my Mum and she said it was great (much better than her first which was in hospital). I don't have the guts to do it (too scared by the whole thing) but I think it's fantastic if you do.

Anyway - great to have found you!

LittleBairn Tue 16-Oct-12 15:12:50

maternity clothes for those that have done it before where, what, how many items/outfits? I'm nowhere near needing them at the moment but I want to get a realistic budget in my head for when the time comes.

LittleBairn Tue 16-Oct-12 15:13:48

Hi roast welcome to the thread. smile

seven77 Tue 16-Oct-12 16:18:11

littlebairn budget really depends on what you need to wear for work. For days off though a couple of pairs of jeans, next are good, around £30 a pair. New look are surprisingly good for tops, nice ones from around £8. Maternity jumpers are really expensive, best just to buy baggy style ones one size bigger.

Hi roast

PedanticPanda Tue 16-Oct-12 16:30:50

Littlebairn, I was tiny when I was pregnant with DS and didn't show until much later, I was 18 when pg and couldn't find any maternity clothes stylish enough so just shopped in Primark for clothes the next size or two up.

envy I wish I could say the same this time, 8+6 and I'm already bursting out of my clothes as I'm so bloated! I've been looking online at new looks maternity clothes as they're quite cheap but still nice, am going to get a couple of jeans and some leggings, a couple of maternity clothes and just some cheap longer tops from Primark again as they've got loads of comfy stretchy ones.

Ellypoo Tue 16-Oct-12 17:12:13

Hi roast, welcome to this very fast moving thread!! It is indeed great to be able to chat to others who are at similar stages.

Re Mat clothes: New Look are good for some stuff, a couple of pairs of jeans, some leggings and a few tops/jumpers/tunic dress type things will be my staple wardrobe, with those waterfall cardigans and a pair or 2 of smartish trousers & blouses for work. You may be able to get stuff in the sales, and H&M have quite a nice range too (online, not in many stores), as do Topshop, Next and Matalan at the lower end of price range.

LittleBairn Tue 16-Oct-12 17:21:26

I'm a nanny so need nothing smart just durable. Oh and they need to Dow short leg range and I'm fairly well padded already before the bump arrives.

seven good tip on Maternity jumpers will just wear cardies a size up.

I haven't shopped in New Look and H&M (got to fat for the likes of them..)for years but will have a nosey now.
Will try Next too sometimes buy short trousers from them.

So a few pairs of jeans, couple of tops, big cardies amd probably comfy Pjs.
I can see me treating myself to some really nice expensive Pjs but buying the cheapest maternity jeans. grin

LittleBairn Tue 16-Oct-12 17:22:18

I have no idea what I'm on about 'Dow short leg trousers...' meant short leg trousers.

roastpotatoes Tue 16-Oct-12 18:06:18

I had a look at Jojo Maman Bebe's maternity range the other day because they were the only maternity shop where I was. I thought it would be really expensive but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Maybe a good option for your PJs! Although I think I'll stick to New Look for most things!

I feel a bit in that in between stage where by the end of the day my tights/trousers are starting to feel a bit tight, but I'm way off needing maternity clothes. I might just buy some maternity tights and then hope to keep wearing my dresses for a few more weeks.

LittleBairn Tue 16-Oct-12 18:16:08

Oh thanks roast totally forgot about Jojo, Yes bet they are good for PJs.
I was also thinking of some White Company Pjs bottoms just in a bigger size.

wilderumpus Tue 16-Oct-12 18:43:42

hey all. scan was good, I do have a baby in there still and it had a nose and big ol' heartbeat and even wriggled around smile dates all match so all well. Just so delighted this evening.

FWIW my bloat went down LOADS last week! so have been fitting into old clothes better and not in mat as much or having to hide my 'bump'. I look quite normal unless I have a big meal, then I look about 5 months gone! sp those of you around 8 weks feeling bloated still, it may go for a bit smile

re: maternity I have a couple of pairs of jeans and will get tops as I get big enough to fill them, but only a couple as I have long woolly jumpers, like jumper-dresses, I will wear with mat leggings and should still fit into them until after chrimbo I reck. I like new look and h and m stuff. in store is always a bit rubbish though I find (sadly, as maternity shopping is great fun when you have a bumpy) so online is best.

if anyone else is worried about still waiting for a scan date, my nurse today said that I will have my scan booked at my booking-in rather than before. I did not know this! has changed from when I had DS when I had my scan before booking in! So if anyone is waiting, might be the same?

9+4

PedanticPanda Tue 16-Oct-12 18:47:19

Thats great wild. I've not had a date for booking in either, I've had no contact at all from any midwife or pregnancy unit, I thought I'd get something by now.

wilderumpus Tue 16-Oct-12 18:52:35

ps I only have maternity stuff in as I had DS! they aren't new for this pg, I am definitely waiting until after the 12 week scan to buy new maternity stuff smile

berri Tue 16-Oct-12 19:28:37

Phew glad I found you all again, had no idea the other thread had filled up so quickly!

Good news wilde smile

My doppler arrived yesterday - and it WORKS! What an amazing relief just to listen to the heartbeat for half an hour grin
It took a little while to find it, but once I did it was very obvious, and very fast!

12 weeks on Thursday and scan is on Saturday so I'm already feeling much much better about it!

Bunnychan Tue 16-Oct-12 20:04:15

My Doppler came today! Too early for a heart beat but found the stormy and whoosh whoosh noises interesting! I find it fascinating already lol x

Kittykatmacbill Tue 16-Oct-12 20:08:23

Hello- may I also join your merry throng?

Can't share any mil/fil tales yet as at 9wks 3days, and pre first scan it seems a little early to tell anyone yet! Which is very hard work as one sixth of the office is pregnant at the moment, so only topic of conversation....

What I was actually wondering was I have my first meeting with my midwife tomorrow and I have been told the meeting will take 2 hours, what on earth are they going to ask me for that long? I feel I need to prepare but not sure if is show and tell or an essay? Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

LittleBairn Tue 16-Oct-12 20:15:42

shock Two hours! I have my first midwife appointment on Thu I've been told they usually last around 15 mins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now