Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

March 2013 VII: Our little pumpkins are getting fatter

(958 Posts)
Sheldonella Tue 16-Oct-12 08:31:21

Old thread here

Stats thread here

Chefette Tue 16-Oct-12 08:41:42

Winner. Cheers Shel grin

sundaesundae Tue 16-Oct-12 08:45:09

ello ello ello!

jojo I have a dreamgenii pillow, it is very cosy and comes with suggested ways of using it. I got £10 off as I joined the Amazon Family thing.

Morning! Marking my place...

chef went to Chiquitos, was yummy yum! AECC last night - thankfully I had the foresight to park in the industrial estate across the road out we'd still be trying to get out the car park...

Ooh sundae what's the amazon family thing?

Totally missed the 7pm candle lighting, think I was getting tea ready and going slightly crazy from being in all day with spotty DD. will light one tonight instead to remember our little dot, who we lost in February.

DH and I have had a reconciliation thank goodness. After my email yesterday he called me and we had a bit of a heart to heart, so all back on track. Hooray.

With regards birth plan, my last one was a sliding scale of drugs etc, depending on how well I coped. I did end up doing the majority of my active labour in the pool with just G&A and it was doable. Prior to that was crying out for an epi, but the water was a big help to me. My biggest issue really is that I had retained placenta and haemorrhage last time and mw said there's a reasonable chance it will happen again. I needed spinal block for the removal last time, so I sort of think, if I am going to end up with a spinal anyway, should I just have an epi for the delivery? I don't know.

Anyway, great news on those scans ladies, less than two weeks now til mine!

Having another day at home with a very spotty DD, but at least they seem to be scabbing now, which means we are hopefully past the worst. Delightful!

First night of struggling to get comfy in bed. I hope it was a one off because I'm not even 18 weeks yet!
No BH here. Didn't have any last time, so fingers crossed I won't have them this time. My friend has been having then for weeks and weeks and they keep her awake at night.

backward that sounds great.
We are going to watch Jesus Christ superstar in Sunday in sheffield and having similar parking dilemmas! grin

JoJoBella84 Tue 16-Oct-12 09:14:15

Just marking - sundae it does appear to be the top choice smile I'm too excited for tomorrow :D

Sheldonella Tue 16-Oct-12 09:18:21

Morning ladies smile Interested to hear opinions of the Dream Genii pillows as I'm thinking of getting one. When I sat up this morning my bump ached down one side so I guess it needs some support now. sundae How tall are you? I was just wondering because I read a review of the pillow saying not so good if you are tall.
I'm finally the cold, yay! Now just counting down the days to my scan a week today.
Glad to hear you made up with DH Ethel but sorry your DD is still suffering.
Hmm, birth plans... Obviously I don't have any experience (other than not coping very well with the pain during my mc) but I think I'm just going to keep an open mind. I want to try out the pool but I'm open to taking drugs if it all gets too much smile
Potty training talk is very interesting and I'm trying to remember it for future reference.

TheAngelshavetheOod Tue 16-Oct-12 09:20:36

ethelred amazon family is free for three months including prime. Don't forget to cancel though!

confiddled are the others all girls? Or is that pink Am muddling up all the dc4-ers!

sundaesundae Tue 16-Oct-12 09:21:42

Amazon family gives you three month trial to prime and a £10 voucher and then a £25 off a £50 if you keep up the prime (free next day, costs £49 a year, so can be quite good if you buy a lot) and they send you emails with offers and discounts only for family members. Worth signing up getting the £10 voucher, using the prime for christmas and then canceling the prime bit, you still get the emails and stuff.

sundaesundae Tue 16-Oct-12 09:26:24

Sheld I am disgustingly tall..... 158cm smile

I am considering a home birth, we live in Milton Keynes and the maternity unit isn't very flexible towards hypno and water apparently and if needed 5 minutes max in an ambulance.

Am I last to scan??? 6th November and it feels forever away! I'll be nearly 21 weeks.

Em2010 Tue 16-Oct-12 09:28:23

Morning All, Just marking place really. Feeling utterly pants this morning. Return of MS??! blurghh. Just sitting at my desk feeling sorry for myself. Wish I was in bed!

theTramp Tue 16-Oct-12 09:43:41

Sundae - I think we're on a similar scanning schedule you and I.

Oddly I'm sleeping with fewer pillows. Everyone was saying I'd want loads but bigger I get, flatter I seem to want to be. Maybe itll change.

I wish I could recall make but John Lewis sell a fab pillow. It's like a bean bag & you use it after for BF too. I'm sure someone will know what I'm talking about.

Em - hope you feel less bleurgh this pm.

Glad to hear that the cold has finally lifted!

zoeymlucas Tue 16-Oct-12 10:03:36

Well woke up feeling ugggh and was worried I had caught DH flu, I then threw up in a plastic bag and got a leture from DS1 that I was too poorly to go to work and I should go back to bed and rest, lol!! I have come to work as I wasnt in yesterday and have tomorrow off as well and to be honest feel fine so must of just been a passing thing which I am VERY pleased about as going out for dinner with girls to an all you can eat indian and I cant wait smile

My 20 week scan is now next wednesday when I am 20 weeks to the day and am excited even if a bit greedy as I saw little man yesterday! He is starting to get more active and if he is in the right place DH and I can feel him kicking from outside which is nice.

Ow and I am desperate for a subway and have been since 7.00am this morning even when being sick!

Em2010 Tue 16-Oct-12 11:13:43

Thanks Tramp! Am feeling a bit better now thanks to an office whip round which has resulted in choccie biccies, mints and chewing gum!

I have my 20 week scan tomorrow! Am vvvvv nervous!

Just come out of a meeting with the big head. He was meant to be reassuring us that after our HoD leaves everything will be ok but actually, reading between the lines he pretty much confirmed that without our HoD then my job will be diluted and I will end up as a general dogsbody.... (If I were here...) I can't carry on like this! I really need a new career, i'm desperate to retrain but not sure how to go about it....

Sorry for the rant. Am going to go and try that Amazon family tree thing! Sounds good. Might even treat myself to a dream-genii pillow too!

TheAngelshavetheOod Tue 16-Oct-12 11:20:04

Am having childcare problems for the first time in 13 years! My mum is usually my childcare and she is ill. She's not been out of bed spear from dr since Fruday. Dh has taken some time off but he won't get paid which isn't great and I now need to negotiate someone to cover me tomorrow so I can leave early so he can go to work.

eigmum Tue 16-Oct-12 11:30:51

Well I managed 12 hours with no poo or cramp! Won't give you the details of my last 10 mins but feel the worst must be behind me. Even getting to like the taste of diaroltye, who knew it comes in three flavours! I am thinking of making a trip into the outside world today. .... If I don't though at least I will have your posts to cheer me up.

sundaesundae Tue 16-Oct-12 11:33:00

eig, good news, hoppefully BRAT and the diarolyte have seen you through. Hope you continue in this way!

confuddledDOTcom Tue 16-Oct-12 11:39:41

Nice new thread, will have to try and keep up this time(!)

EthelredOnAGoodDay - I had a client who had a retained placenta in her previous pregnancy and they wanted to stop her home birthing again, but when she asked the SoM she said it wasn't likely to happen again so no reason not to home birth. There's nothing wrong with an epidural if you need it but it's probably better to save it for when you do as they do increase the chance of complications. A natural third stage (not getting the injection they give in the thigh when baby is being born) will reduce the chance of retained placenta.

TheAngelshavetheOod - this will be our 4th (our angel baby was also a girl, so 5 girls, I think I do girls!)

zoeymlucas - make sure you look after yourself!

On the subject of birth plans, they're best kept short and list the things that are important to you. It's not a time table, you can't plan in minute detail but you can tell them what your options are and what's important to you. Here's an example of things to include:

Birth Partners
your OH, mum, Doula etc

Pain Relief
Best to keep this to what you definitely don't want, what you want to try first, that you plan to staircase (start with low level pain killers and increase as necessary), rather than being rigid. You can also include if you've been working on hypnobirthing, aromatherapy, are bringing a TENS machine, want to use the pool etc. [on mine it includes that I can't have an epidural so in the event of a section they need to go straight to a GA]

Monitoring
In normal circumstances you may wish to keep it to intermittent but put an allowance in for unless there is a problem, you may be happy to stay on the monitor all the time but want it to be telemetric

Interventions
Again what you definitely don't want, some people would rather a section than forceps/ ventose, you may wish to say that you want VEs limited

Labour and Birth Positions
If you want to use a birthing ball, use the pool, be encouraged to remain active. Again, if there's anything you definitely don't want.

Post Birth
Managed/ natural third stage, who cuts the cord, when to cut the cord, skin to skin, feeding options, who's allowed in afterwards

I also did a contingency plan on a different sheet for if I had to have a section.

confuddledDOTcom Tue 16-Oct-12 11:47:30

I've copied the birth plan to Facebook so we can play with it if necessary and it can be found again.

Em2010 Tue 16-Oct-12 11:54:04

Thanks confuddled that is perfect!

I think the first time around I didn't have a plan, I just knew I didn't want any drugs that would cross over to the baby and I wanted the injection to deliver the placenta!

Sheldonella Tue 16-Oct-12 11:56:36

What are the disadvantages of the injection to deliver the placenta?

My birth plan last time was something along the lines of "I'm completely open minded, do what needs to be done and I'll take any drugs. I'd also like to try the pool, but get him out healthily." Turned out i went into labour at the height of the swine flu outbreak, so they'd closed pool to stop contamination or something, I turned up to hospital 8cm dilated, so couldn't have any drugs apart from gas and air, then he got stuck and they pulled him out with the ventouse. Heh...

pinkpeony4 Tue 16-Oct-12 12:07:41

Place marking!

TheAngelshavetheOod Tue 16-Oct-12 12:12:59

My birth plan is c-section with spinal done by nice doctor who did it last time! Dh with me then he goes with baby. I then go home ASAP. Oh and no kylies as I was allergic last time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now