Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due in dec 2012 - things that go BUMP in the night!

(1000 Posts)
WerewolvesDoTheFandango Mon 15-Oct-12 20:10:49

New thread here ladies!

EggsMichelle Tue 16-Oct-12 09:42:23

Been up since 4.00 with a party in my womb, which conveniently ended when my alarm went off, devil child! Been out on my own with the dog(across the field so no dragging me on the lead) however he spotted a friend and off he charged, took ages for me to waddle across the field to get him, other owner must have thought I was incompetent (which I suppose I am when it comes to the dog!).

DM has convinced me that terry nappies are the way forward, going to be brave and give them ago, starter kit in tesco is only £27 so thought its was worth a go.

Secondsop Tue 16-Oct-12 09:43:38

Is anyone else going through a phase of just feeling really down? I know the end is in sight but I still have 5 weeks of work left and every day of going to the station is a struggle, I feel like nothing is ready in the house, I never know when I'm next going to have to replan everything for another medical appointment, I have to do my tax return otherwise it'll only be far worse trying to do it when the baby comes, I'm trying to sort out a changeover of tenants in my flat, we need a new front door and a burglar alarm, it's just never ending.

Clarella Tue 16-Oct-12 09:56:42

Glad you're both a bit happier em - I was worrying id gone on a bit and almost regurgitated the essay smile - I've been concerned that women are worrying about the jabs because of all that mmr thing, v glad press haven't mentioned a sniff of any 'doubts' etc. Tbh some of me thinks we are too clean in society (says she who flipped out at dust following bathroom demolishment last night, went to yoga to be cheered up and then felt a bloke accused me of child neglect due to a few lunges and downward dogs - 10 wk pregnant nurse friend repeated exactly what I would have said this time last year - 'bit o dust good for immune system' but somehow it doesn't work at the mo!) .... and all this cleanliness breeds stronger diseases/ allergies etc BUT none of us remember a time when it was both usual for women to both die in childbirth and for many children to die due to illnesses etc - except in 3rd world. Also, knowing that I wasn't immune to slapped cheek was probably more harmful stress wise than the actual risks (though the kids kept getting it at work, never seen it in 11 years)

Ok another essay.... ill stop now. blush

Sorry friend and people so tired, and insomnia ruling, me too - is anyone else sleeping only 4/5 hours in a whole day - I half doze after sleeping this amount of time so usually wake about 3 am - and not really napping, feel tired today but not so tired I can't do stuff? Thinking might need to drop thyroid meds again. At hospital in weds so will see, gonna tackle 'birth plan' now so I can ask them things.

PurplePidjin Tue 16-Oct-12 09:57:55

Michelle, have a look into other reusable options before you commit to terries. Modern cloth nappies are nothing like anything our parents got lumbered with smile

Stacks Tue 16-Oct-12 10:00:42

Wow, 3 pages to catch up on already! Quick post to mark my place, then an epic read back.

EggsMichelle Tue 16-Oct-12 10:11:50

Don't worry Clarella I mentioned the mmr discussion to my husband and he went on a 15min rant about how it was bollucks and how terrible the doctor and media (and more recently the Italian government) were for scare mongering.

EggsMichelle Tue 16-Oct-12 10:14:16

Pidj I did a lot of looking a few months ago at the modern reusables, but they are so stupidly expensive and might not fit Shrimpy, I decided to go for disposables. The draw of terry is they are not a huge financial investment if they don't work out

Checking in! Weighed myself for the first time ages.. I'll tell you now it is not advisable! Far far too many sausage rolls and cake. Hope everyone has a good day smile

Having a grumpy day! I've got a headache, I'm hungry and dd just dribbled all on her hand and wiped it down my face hmm

PurplePidjin Tue 16-Oct-12 10:18:53

I've got all mine preloved, Michelle, much cheaper!

So pleased someone else feels the same as me about bfing jojo and spotty. I know it's a really personal choice but last time it just didn't feel natural to me and this time I have come to terms with it a bit more, I would love to just give birth on my own and try and work it out myself than have a midwife and dh look on while I try as I'm quite introvert.

We just went to have a look at a school for dd and saw a teacher grab a child by the arm, don't think she'll be going there somehow.

Stacks Tue 16-Oct-12 10:48:10

Caught up!

My siblings and I were given the MMR I think, but not the WC jab as children. The doctor scared my mum about some link to epilepsy (which my uncle has) and so took his advice and didn't give us the jab. I remember having WC though, young as I was, and my brothers having it too. Scary time for my Dad (single parent by then) as both my little brothers had serious asthma.

So, I'm all for the WC and flu jabs, though haven't had the WC one yet. Hoping I'll get offered it at my MW appointment on Thurs.

I am so epicly pissed off this morning. I should have had my first NHS antenatal class, but my phone happily reminded me it was "Now" when I was on the bus to work, an hour from home. It's only a 2 hour class, so there was no point turning around to try and get there. I don't know why it's annoyed me so much, but I feel like crying I'm so angry at myself for forgetting. sad

I'm going to use re-usable nappies, but will buy (at least) one pack of disposables to last the first few days/weeks. I just want to know what size bump is going to be before I invest in a set of re-usables. I'll probably then get some second hand ones, or a 'starter kit' from the council with a selection of brands in to see which one fits better. We have a really good local family centre which do nearly new sales, as well as re-usable nappy days to go look at a selection of new ones, and sell pre-loved.

Got my fit to fly letter! Woohoo, can't Imagune going on an aeroplane next week though!

I'm using disposable though did use reusable some of the time with dcs, but I have no tumble dryer now so cba with the effort!

As for bf I really wanna try but seeing as the other 2 have managed perfectly well without it I won't beat myself up about it if I can't. I just don't want the fuss of bottles!

With dd I was adamant I wanted to ff and by the time I got to spend any time with her and bond it was too late to change my mind (or so I thought), so we'll see how it goes this time.

If anyone is buying a baby's first Christmas bauble Mamas and Papas have really lovely ones, I got dd one from there and will be doing the same this year for ds

MyDaydream Tue 16-Oct-12 11:20:08

utopian I survived with both parents and an aunt ferrying me round in minis as the family cars, my dad is a massive mini fan so I'm sure baby will be carried around in minis too! My dad is talking about getting him racing by 5! confused
I'm quite excited to try breast feeding although I'm going to find a group to get some advice before baby comes. I'm putting myself under no pressure and if it doesn't work then I won't force it but I think I'd be more disappointed if I didn't at least give it a go. Maybe a few visitors who've outstayed their welcome will be encouraged to leave if they feel uncomfortable by boob too.
DP wants to go buy his Halloween costume today, it's rainy and windy so I'm letting him sleep as long as he wants so we don't have to go! Maybe ill try and guilt some lunch out of him if he drags me out.

MyDaydream Tue 16-Oct-12 11:21:15

spotty I'd not even thought about a bauble but its such a lovely idea. Thanks for the tip.

CODwidow Tue 16-Oct-12 12:26:06

Hey everyone, not checked in for a while just been so busy with school and Xmas shopping plus getting ready for baby! But 32 weeks tomorrow and time is flying by. I had my jabs yesterday so slighty stiff arms today but not too bad, I did have reservations about having both together if I'm honest but have done lots of reading and I feel it was the right thing for me to do.

gilsbubbles Tue 16-Oct-12 13:21:01

Does anyone have any first-hand recommendations for ru-usable nappies. I've been doing a bit of research but it seems such a personal preference. Thinking of getting a few each of 2 types to try out alongside disposable to see if they suit (both me and little one)

WeeJo08 Tue 16-Oct-12 13:25:37

Hi everyone! Wow! 3 pages already! Slept well last night so feel good. TBH it's DH who's not sleeping so well. Worried about him as we have a lot on our plates over the next few months and he is quite stressed. Wish there was something I could do to help him - think he is also quite run down too.

Stacey Yay about the Fit to Fly certificate! You asked yesterday about tips for flying - I would definitely recommend having a cushion for your lower back as it really helped me on the flights we were on last month. I used a blow up camping one and it was great. I also second the buying water after security - the flight attendants were really nice and did bring water when I asked, BUT you are likely to get warm & thirsty whilst waiting to board and it is quite a while from getting to your seats and the cabin crew being released so it's a bit of a wait for water.

Spotty We saw the Mamas & Papas Christmas baubles last week too - they are so beautiful! Did you see the snow globes too? I loved them as well.

Re: MMR jab - when I was a child I apparently always had one of the three illnesses every time the vaccine time came around so I didn't get it until much older. Although, as a child of the early 80s I don't think the media storm and autism scare had happened yet. I was very poorly with the measles though - I suppose it's always worth noting that each of the illnesses can be very serious for little children. I had it when I was 3 and the doctor reckons that is what caused my short sightedness, as there is no history whatsoever of it in my family.

And lastly re: BF, totally agree with what everyone has been saying - I think the important thing is if Mum & baby are happy & healthy (which means not stressed!) I am going to try and BF but will (try to) not beat myself up if things don't work out.

Wowee - sorry for the epistle!!

Just seen the snow globes online they are lovely! I love over priced Mamas and Papas!

PurplePidjin Tue 16-Oct-12 13:35:18

Gils, I've gone for 2 parters as they're more likely to give a good fit. I've got a huge pile of prefolds and wraps (cotton bottoms), then collected a random selection of fitteds to try along with a few AIOs and pockets. Figure i can use the prefolds as overnight boosters if necessary smile i have friends with dc in reusables, so managed some proper advice rather than the flood you get trying to read forums!

WeeJo08 Tue 16-Oct-12 13:40:02

Me too! We still have £11 left on the Mamas & Papas voucher we used for our sling, so might use it for that and make up the difference. On the other hand, maybe we should use it for the My First Christmas Bauble....

DH fell in love with this too: www.mamasandpapas.com/product-star-pramsuit/s0009761/type-s/ But it is THIRTY FIVE POUNDS!!!

Oh it's very sweet though..... I have got this but I got it for 99p on eBay! I will definitely be getting the Bauble they are really big, and the nicest I've seen. I still have mine from when I was a baby smile

emilyeggs Tue 16-Oct-12 14:02:28

seconds I felt quite down this morning and got a bit teary but not to sure why (dh had resolved our quarrel the night before so wasn't that) might just be hormones. I feel better now after a nap and a pice of chocolate dh bought into me smile

Saphiesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 14:18:33

I'm just home from shopping and mum bought me that star pram suit as an early baby gift! We got it in fudge type colour as still firmly in team yellow! Really wish I knew so I could prepare if it's a girl! Ds hardly wore snow suits as born in spring and weather gorgeous that year. Won't get away with that this time!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.