Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Due in dec 2012 - things that go BUMP in the night!

(1000 Posts)
WerewolvesDoTheFandango Mon 15-Oct-12 20:10:49

New thread here ladies!

Ok so if I start orange juicing myself up now I should have a full tank for next Friday yeah? Lol

Midwife said I need to wear the flight socks and as its 6 hrs I should probably listen! Thankfully it's a daytime flight not night or early morning do I won't be tired let's hope

Now just need to work out where to buy flight socks! Lol

Secondsop Mon 15-Oct-12 22:46:30

Just checking in to the new thread.

emilyeggs Mon 15-Oct-12 23:16:37

Thanks fit bread and sympathy ladies, I've ventured off sofa for a cuddle with dh

Clarella Mon 15-Oct-12 23:39:48

Checking in.

Sorry to hear about your night ellie - a collegues who's autistic son I taught thought the same about mmr, as did many mothers at the time in my school also noticed a change around same time. We both did a very in depth course on autism over a year, essays each month etc. I had to do mmr and had to do quite a,lot of research on it. The Dr in question did very dodgy science and also was trying to sell his own separate vaccines. The media massively latched onto it and especially something Cherie Blair said at the time - leading everyone to think it the reports were bonefide. As pidg said, all the latest research on asd points to how the brain is structured and communicates with each different part, and that this is a genetically based thing. I read a report recently about the worries about the cohort of children least likely to have had mmr are now all freshers and they're warning about the slight potential for a mumps outbreak (didn't mention wc), there's already been increases recently in measles and rubella - much bigger dangers to unborn babies.

It is very hard to know what to.believe in.our very medicalised society (someone asked me at yoga if 'what I was doing was ok' - downward dog on wall - and I worried about starving baby of oxygen causing a problem all way home)
Remember that (as i understand it) the wc vaccine is filtered by the placenta, its your body getting the vaccine and it's the antibodies that are apparently passed on, (- there's diff sorts) and baby would have it at 2 mo anyway.

It sounds like it rings worrying bells for your dp but there must have been a lot of weighing up of the risks to decide to go ahead and vaccinate - and every single gp/medical person I know has had it.

I dunno if any of it helps

Clarella Mon 15-Oct-12 23:40:51

Sorry butter fingers.... but hope you're ok and he's ok soon too xx

Clarella Mon 15-Oct-12 23:41:54

Sorry its Emily..... butter head

Stacey They sell flight socks at boots in all airport terminals, where are you going from? I found the lounge at the airport brilliant for keeping away from crowds and having a relax before the flight, you can get tickets into most I think and they do complementary drinks and some food. There was a cinema room with huge comfy seats at one in gatwick where I watched notting hill. Definitely take water on board with you, buy after security! When I flew BA last pregnancy they got really arsey about me asking for water hmm they were terrible crew though so probably an exception.

strawberry we fly from gatwick, we normally do a lounge anyway to keep the kids contained, it was a lifesaver last time when our flight was delayed by 2 hrs. Food and drink on tap and stuff to entertain them!

I think I'm gunna try and get the socks before we go to the airport though. I can just imagine trying to put them on there! I have enough trouble with normal socks these days! hmm

(oh and obviously I'm not sleeping again! Urgh)

Yup, 3.30 is my wake up time!! For the last two days I've had a nap in the day then slept through and today no nap = no full night sleep. Ah good point about the socks, my bump was much smaller when I flew but now I am having trouble putting anything over my feet too.

I didn't bf dd and keep having dreams about bfing, I'm researching now, last time I was so sure of my decision to ff but I'm really unsure now and a little bit scared if I'm honest!! What if she doesn't get enough milk? What if I get mastitis? Or if we're up all night and I can't function to look after dd1 the next day? Can I just do it for 6 weeks?

JoJoB77 Tue 16-Oct-12 05:28:36

430 wake up time for me too, going to be so tired sitting at my desk later (tired emoticon)

I feel the same re bf strawberry. I tried bf DD but really struggled & ended up ff after a few days. Im thinking i will try again with this one as i may not be as stressed & overwhelmed. But like you im worried about everything already and hiw i will manage with a baby wanting feeding on demand and an 18 month old toddler who doesnt quite understand yet

My mind is racing, no wonder i cant sleep.

Saphiesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 06:04:42

Hi Emily- just to second what clarella says, about autism. My sister has it so I was incredibly concerned about mmr for ds. Her traits began to show just after jab and we were convinced it was mmr. As mentioned above, the dr was discredited. Autistic traits show up around 13/14 months by coincidence because that's just the developmental stage of child, not mmr. Don't be hard on yourself.

Re bf, you can do it as long or short a time you like. I imagine it'll be easier than ff 2 nd time( once you've mastered it) because you don't need to mess with kettles, steriliser etc. packed lunch is ready to go when you are! Just sort toddler needs before you sit. I'm not under any illusions about my ds causing chaos though! Remember to get help if you need it though- not just midwife- breastfeeding network etc are better trained than standard midwives.

Youll know wee one getting enough if you always feed to demand, plenty of heavy wet nappies and weight gain.

Bf hard in early days, but easier long term. What you feed your baby is important, but your own health and sanity most important- don't let anyone feel bad whatever your choice.

Sorry I didn't mean such an epic post or to seem to rant about bf, just wanted to help.

Hope those awake are back to sleep, Im also struggling with random wake ups, been up since 5.20am, grrr!

Saphiesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 06:06:18

Sorry, that should read don't let anyone make you feel bad for your choices. We're all trying our best!

Re breast feeding I didn't with dd but in going to give it a go this time. I'm going to try my hardest but if it starts effecting time with dd too much and I'm struggling I'm not going to beat myself up but will continue to express for as lung as possible. I'm hoping u get an easy one though grin I feel really selfish thinking about night time as dd only even woke 10-2-7 from birth blush

JoJoB77 Tue 16-Oct-12 06:42:04

I think im just going to try & see how it goes. I really beat myself up last time for not persevering but i hope i dont put muself under that much pressure this time.

emilyeggs Tue 16-Oct-12 07:06:10

Thanks clarella that's very helpful and kind of you to point out x. Who knows what's best, i can only go by the information given to me at the time. Dh is ok now, he was saying stuff like the government vaccinate the population and hurt a few to save the many but I pointed out its only the valuable who are getting the flu vaccine (free anyway) and not everyone.

Any hoo. On a nicer note, I hope all are well and rested x

emilyeggs Tue 16-Oct-12 07:09:07

Thanks saphie smile your up early! But not as early as others I see! Maybe my well rested comment was a bit premature

pmgkt Tue 16-Oct-12 07:44:28

Spotty I bf'd ds1 and he only woke 10 2 and 7 too so it can happen. I bf till 4 months then introduced extra bottles but not sure I'll last that long this time, as you say balancing existing children and feed times. Luckily ds was quite quick and only took about 5 min longer than a bottle so let's just see what happens.

emilyeggs Tue 16-Oct-12 07:57:14

I just caught a glimpse of myself side onwards in the mirror, I look like the abominable snowman sad

emilyeggs Tue 16-Oct-12 07:58:11

..... in my White fluffy dressing down

FriendofDorothy Tue 16-Oct-12 08:07:29

I am tired today sad

emilyeggs Tue 16-Oct-12 08:27:44

Hear you go friend, biscuit for energy wink

Can you have a nap later friend?

FriendofDorothy Tue 16-Oct-12 08:36:53

I have a really busy day so no nap for me today until I get home from work. I am knackered because I worked all day yesterday, had choir rehearsal, and tomorrow night I have a choir concert and I am also out the other evenings this week. Tonight is my only evening in. After tomorrow I will go on mat leave from choir which will help.

utopian99 Tue 16-Oct-12 09:20:38

I scared myself too Emily by catching a side view in the car door yesterday - now i know why the kitchen delivery man looked so horrified when i tried to help him unload the van... Little mini passed it's MOT first time, no issues, which never happens, so now feel even guiltier about buying a 'family' car to replace it. sad

WerewolvesDoTheFandango Tue 16-Oct-12 09:31:19

Ugh got a man coming from the estate agents today to photograph the house. I have never been less able to be arsed!

As I'm working from home today DP has obviously decided he doesn't have to do any tidying including moving his own bloody tea bags. I don't even drink tea <rage>

This thread is not accepting new messages.