Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sneeze births please, and we'll BROOK NO ARGUMENT

(1000 Posts)
TheLittleFriend Sun 07-Oct-12 20:35:45

Over here Brookers. I'll stick a cake in the oven

itsMYNutella Tue 20-Nov-12 19:08:43

Good evening, yes I suppose I understand that everyone has an opinion but I often wish they'd find something else to mention! Especially as its mainly nonsense... When people ask what it is I'm often tempted to reply "it's a baby you moron "

I was very proud of the amount I got done today, I did the washing up, showered myself (it counts like other chores wink ) out some washing in the machine and went out to meet a friend for the afternoon smile busy day!

TheLittleFriend Tue 20-Nov-12 19:22:52

Oh no green! You poor thing. I hope you manage to get some sleep and that you're allowed home early tomorrow.

stacks 40 degrees will be absolutely fine smile

<waves to Gen, whims, tock, smegs, nuts, bartlet, boo, sparks and anyone I've missed>

I'm on anti biotics for a uti this week, which give me a dodgy stomach. Combined with my crap hips, I'm starting to feel like time is slowing down. At least I'm in the third trimester now smile

ScrambledSmegs Tue 20-Nov-12 19:28:18

Maybe you could turn it into a game, Nuts? Bump bingo. Get all of them in one day (Ooh you're big/small, having a boy/girl, carrying high/low, is it twins?) and then freak someone out by shouting "House!" at the latest inane comment grin It would pass the time, anyway.

Btw I've done the grumpy answer "A baby" when someone asked if I knew what it was. Please don't do it. The guilt you feel afterwards for being a spiky bitch is horrendous. I obsessed over it for ages, bloody hormones.

Greeny oh noes sad I hope it passes soon, and maybe you'll actually get more sleep on the labour ward than on the antenatal ward! Have some brew and thanks, get well soon.
Is it really wise for them to be keeping someone with the Norovirus on the labour ward though? I thought it was rather virulent?

whims just re-read your baby clothes dilemma. Did you know that both Mothercare and M&S ship to the US? I know you may not want to pay the £15 delivery charge, but just to let you know that it's an option! Otherwise, have you got any friends or family coming over to visit who can bring you some lovely pristine white baby clothes? Hope you find/knit what you need!

stacks you don't have to do anything. That's the point of maternity leave before the baby is due, you need to rest up loads to prepare for the deficit you'll have as soon as you give birth!

tock wow, is it booking-in time already? Am so envy

Oh, and my coldy stomach bug is abating but still not very pleasant. I was hoping to be excused kitchen duties because of it, but sadly DH thinks he and DD have cast-iron stomachs (true) so is willing to take the risk. <sigh>

itsMYNutella Tue 20-Nov-12 20:35:40

Green oh no! So sorry you're poorly! Novovirus is super horrible! I had it last year near Christmas (glad I wasn't pregnant)

I was in the A&E area and was going for my millionth toilet trip. The nurse had suggested DP go with me because I'd suddenly gone a bit pale. As I shut the door to the loo DP asked if I was ok, I said "no". Suddenly the world started to disappear and DP had to tell me what happened next because I can't remember it clearly. DP shouted down the hall for help as I fell back onto the toilet - DP managed to shut the toilet lid, as I dropped the IV bottle that was connected to my arm onto the floor; and I ended up sort of slouched on the toilet. Then my head fell back and hit the flush. The nurses came in and hoiked me up and started slapping me in the face.
When I asked DP what happened the first thing he said was "you decided to have a little sleep on the toilet" - at least he made the nurses all laugh!

Smegs I like the idea of bump bingo... But I'm not sure how well they know bingo in Germany... Or what the equivalent of house is hmm

BartletForTeamGB Tue 20-Nov-12 21:58:59

Oh no, green, hope you feel better soon. That sounds pretty rough. And little too, get well soon Brookers!

I like the idea of Bump Bingo. I've had all the comments about my "small neat bump" and then someone asking if it was twins today!

tock, we have been debating about a home birth here again too. DS was born at home without medication, so I think we will book it and then we can see how I do. I'm only a mile from the hospital if I need to go in, so transfer should be fairly swift.

Sorry I haven't been round much

Get well soon green I had norovirus the Christmas mrsparks proposed, it wasn't hospital bad but it was enough for me to just about surface long enough for him to put the ring on my finger, call my mum n then pop back to the loo!!! Oh the romance!!!

Bit of an AIBU mrsparks has man flu and to his credit he does have a rather nasty cough with it BUT its driving me mad, he keeps making this stupidly sighing noise when he breaths and I just want to tell him to go sleep on the sofa because its driving me insane!!!

Blimey green. Hope you're on the mend. Don't go round telling the new mums how quietly their babies cry (even though it's true!) Someone made the mistake of saying that to me once.

smegs I frequently reply 'a baby' when people ask what I'm having. I follow up with 'we were just relieved it wasn't a warthog / twins' (depending on how sarky I'm feeling). Thanks for suggesting mail order. We actually have a bfpo address so things can come with UK postage but I don't want to clog it up around christmas. We're being given so much equipment by other expats that I shouldn't really complain

sparks, this time 3 years ago I had been making very similar comments about MrWhim. And then he spent a month in intensive care. I remember posting on FB about how gross he was. I then had to eat crow somewhat by posting that it turned out he actually was quite ill. Hope he gets well soon (and you get some rest!)

ScrambledSmegs Wed 21-Nov-12 00:17:09

I am a twat, I am a twat.

DD very distressed, ill and feverish. Went to get Calpol from cupboard and her liquid vitamins bottle fell out. Guess what idiot hadn't put the cap on properly blush. I was covered in the stuff. DH laughed at me. Thanks DH hmm

Midnight is not a great time to be showering sticky syrup off yourself and putting a wash on.

TheLittleFriend Wed 21-Nov-12 09:47:34

I hope your dd is ok smegs? Don't want spidersmegs coming out when your dealing with a poorly little one. One of my worries is that my dd will be sick when I have the baby and find the adjustment harder.

I'm now waiting for the gp to call as (tmi warning) I've had diarrhoea ever since taking the anti b's. sad blush They usually affect my stomach a bit, but not to this extent.
<shakes fist at self for not sailing through pregnancy unaffected>

<Dons mask and washes hands with alcohol hand gel stuff>

Oh dear, Olives, I am so sorry to hear you are in hospital. Brooking that you feel better soon and can be discharged.

Little, the same for you too - I wonder if you have a bug as well and it's not just the antibiotics? Well done for reaching 3rd trimester.

Smegs, I hope you got some sleep after all that and that you and your DD are feeling better soon. I am putting money on today being labour day!

Sparks, that doesn't sound very nice. Could you DH sleep in the spare room to save you catching it and to let you both get a good night's sleep?

Nutella, I love Smegs' bump bingo idea! I don't really mind the size comments as I expect them. I do get a bit annoyed when people ask why we didn't find out the sex as it makes me feel like saying 'we had 3 miscarriages and it took ages to have a successful pregnancy this time round, so we really don't give a tinker's cuss whether it's a boy or a girl'. But that would be mean, so I don't.

Stacks, don't worry about 'wasting' your mat leave - make the most of the rest. I was a bit like Whim with my first mat leave - did lots of cooking, washing baby stuff and even made some cushion covers. But mostly I had lie-ins and watched films! It was lovely. I agree, washing at 40 degrees C is fine. The hot wash setting will be for vomit- and poo-stained clothes, which you will get once LO is here (sorry).

Does anyone know when the baby is supposed to be head down? MiniGen is lying diagonally with head at the lower left hand side and feet under my ribs on the right hand side. Not far off being head down, but the MW seemed surprised on Monday that it wasn't in position yet. I'm only 32 and a half weeks, so I didn't think it was a problem. What do you reckon?

Had good date night last night - saw a folk singer (Kate Rusby) - she is very good and we both really enjoyed it. We had planned to eat afterwards as there was no time beforehand, but it seems most restaurants are closed at 10.30 on a Tuesday - who knew? So we had to get a takeaway, which was naughty but nice!

ScrambledSmegs Wed 21-Nov-12 10:42:28

Predictably DD is fine today grin She does this sometimes - we think it may actually be nightmares but she stays distressed and feverish for a very long time, sometimes even all night. So we do give her a half-dose of Calpol as that seems to bring her temp down and help her settle. Thank you Little and Gen.

Gen I think babies can go head down at any point - think tock said that her DS wasn't head down till near the end? DC2 is head down now but wasn't till about 34 weeks I think. I'm surprised your MW was surprised, quite frankly! Glad you had a lovely date night - DH and I had our last pre-DC2 date last week too and it was great. Although Skyfall made me incredibly angry in a few ways, and I had a mild feminist rant at lunch afterwards!

Have a lovely day everyone. I hope you all feel better soon. No twinges from me yet, I promise to let you all know as soon as something happens. Please note that DD was 40 +16 though, so we may be getting ahead of ourselves a bit!

ScrambledSmegs Wed 21-Nov-12 10:43:37

thanks to Little. I was the same on antibiotics this pregnancy, I hope it passes soon.

But Smegs this one is a brooking baby and will come out bang on time.

ScrambledSmegs Wed 21-Nov-12 11:20:17

I seriously doubt that! Today is my due date, and not one single sign of imminent labour. I'm off to Poundland in a moment (ooooh! excitement!) to buy DD's christmas fancy dress, can you imagine if I went into labour there?! grin

itsMYNutella Wed 21-Nov-12 11:42:49

hmm pops head round the door and lays a few £££ on smegs going into labour in Poundland. grin

Ooh they might give you some top quality items if your waters break in there!

Stacks Wed 21-Nov-12 13:28:21

Well, today I'm still in my dressing gown and pjs after lunch. So getting the hang of ML grin. Baby is sitting uncomfortably low today though. Can't sit with my legs anywhere near together, and sitting forwards is very uncomfy too. MW at app on Thursday said baby wasn't engaged yet (I think) she said she could still move the head a little, and it's ok for them not to be engaged at 37w.
Is it always uncomfy when they're engaged? It's not cervix pain, just right at the front of my pelvis, like he's pushing outwards instead of downwards. I can poke his head (I think) if I push just above my pubic bone. At least, poking there makes him wriggle and more 'pain'. No BH at all though.

I hope poorly people are all feeling better soon. The end of my posts are always like a memory test, and I don't really have the confidence to commit names to things. I don't want people to think I'm not listening, or they're not important enough for me to remember who's who. I always used to post from laptop with notepad beside me to take notes. With the iPhone app I can't even scroll back to read! Lets have a go...

Olives hope you're feeling better soon and are allowed home. Can your DH take time to look after you?

Little your a&e story was amusing, if a little worrying. Glad they sent DH to the toilet with you. Hope the doctor calls you back soon and you get things sorted. Antibiotics can do terrible things to your digestion, not sure if probiotic yoghurts and things can help?

Smegs I think babies coming on there due date is a bit like the odds of winning on the lottery. At least that's what I'm telling myself so I don't go crazy on my due date. Still, people do win it... Hope your DD is better today, and you get more rest tomorrow.

tock my boy has been head down in the same position for months. But I also keep reading and hearing how its fine for them not to be until much later. Also, think its more common for 2nd babies to take their time about it, and be a bit more 'unstable' changing from head down and engaged to in engaged etc... I'm sure mini tock will move in plenty of time for you.

Sorry for long post. Also, these 'in comfy' feelings are really making me wince and cringe now!

Princessishavingababyboo Wed 21-Nov-12 15:03:01

Olives really hope you feel better soon, and Mr o takes good care of you.

Smegs glad your dd is seeking better today, anything else to report? smile

Keep Brooking you recover from those side effects soon.

Stacks I usually post from my phone to and it is a pain to remember who did what and when. Hope little one has a shuffle into a better position for you.

Toddly boo was not fully engaged when my labour started, and my friend was going to be breech but turned head down in labour (this was 35 years ago though)

16 week check today, all well with baby boo, it has a lovely strong heartbeat smile

My symptoms have started to disappear, I dont know whether I feel smile or sad or confused is it normal for symptoms to ease this early?

TheLittleFriend Thu 22-Nov-12 09:26:37

You're about 10 weeks aren't you sparks? It's totally normal for symptoms to go at that point. Mine certainly did smile

Princessishavingababyboo Thu 22-Nov-12 09:29:00

Sparks Please try not to worry, I know it is hard, my symptoms started to ease up at about 9 weeks or so and I was terrified and pleased at the same time. I just wanted to know where they had gone why they had gone and actualy wanted them back for the reassurance, but as we know, I am fine, and so will you be. I know my MS was not neary as bad as yours so I would think that any improvement for you would be quite noticable. I am sure it is just the start of your placenta taking over for you. try and feel smile besides you could be back to hugging the disabled loo again tomorrow

Little Yes 9+5 today!! Im still not right just not as bad, like things are easing up, I guess if the symptoms just disappeared that might be more of a cause for concern? but Im relieved that Im starting to feel a bit more human!! I can actually lie in bed in the morning now without needing to dash to the loo!!

thanks boo I've not need to use the disabled loo for 2 whole days (I only use it when I need to vom)

sparks as the others say it's really common for symptoms to lighten up at this point - as boo says its probably your lovely placenta taking over some of the hard work of baby-growing smile.

Nothing stops you worrying though does it - we all worry when symptoms change / increase / decrease / stay the same. So I do feel your worry! When is your scam? You're having a private one soon aren't you?

Err that would be scan, not scam hmm

I wish my phone didn't think it knew better what I want to write confusedconfused

This thread is not accepting new messages.