Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due dec 2012 - the long slow bit

(993 Posts)

Hi thought if do this and try and link before we ran out!!!

PurplePidjin Sat 29-Sep-12 23:20:09

Coffee, same here and I'm getting the hospital bag ready. It could be as little as 6 weeks for us shock

My bag contains:
2 nighties
2 pairs of pj's
8 pairs of pants
5 pairs of socks
Snuggly cardi
Toiletries and towel
Trackie bottoms, tee shirt and cosy jumper to come home in
Maternity and breast pads
Porridge sachets

Still need:
Spare hair brush
Nursing bra
More snacks
More pants?

PidjChick's is a work in progress...

PurplePidjin Sat 29-Sep-12 23:20:54

Oh, and baby oil for back rubs grin

HoneyMum21 Sat 29-Sep-12 23:26:37

Does anyone know how long the sainsburys baby cheapness is on for?

utopian99 Sun 30-Sep-12 00:24:01

Up late and still awake, so have used your list plus babycentre and mumsnet to make my own. Am probably way over the top, but now have three bag lists to pack in the next few weeks, anyone want to add anything?

Hospital bag 1 (for labour)

Birth plan and notes
1 nightshirt or massive T shirt
Pair of socks
Hairband
Books/magazine
Ipod
Snacks/drinks for both of us – jaffa cakes, jelly sweets, mini juice cartons
Straws for bottled water and bottles with sports caps
Change of clothes for DH
Massage oil suitable for pg people
Eight hour cream/Lip balm
TENS machine
Hot water bottle for contractions
Mat notes and birth plan
Watch/contraction app for phone
Water spray/face cloth/fan
Pillow from home

Hospital bag 2 (after labour)

Nightshirts/Pjs (front opening for breastfeeding..)
Lots of pairs of black pants
Couple of ?!pairs of socks
Dressing gown/slippers
Toothbrush/paste/hairbrush/deodorant/face wipes
Towel
Trackie bottoms, top and jumper/cardi to come home in
Maternity sanitary pads x 2 packs
Plastic jug (for soothing tears etc post labour when peeing I’m told?!)
Nursing bra x 2 and breast pads
Camera (charged/charger)
Phone charger
More snacks – cereal bars/crisps
Box of chocolates or similar for currying favour with MW and doctors wink

Bag for Crumb

Newborn nappies/wipes/sacks – figure on 12/day
Muslin squares x 2
Vests and sleepsuits x 3
Pair of socks
Little hat
Baby blanket
Snowsuit?

Car seat (IN CAR)

Awake!! Just in case - the mw after having dd ran me a bath and asked me if I had anything to put in it, apparently lots women take lavender or special bath salts/bath oils for after. I wish I'd taken some with me so will be this time.

And arnica tablets?

Flumpy2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 05:44:06

Arnica tablets to help with bruising I think!

I've packed all of below and so much more. They are going to think I'm moving in when I arrive!!!

Wide awake too, heartburn angry

Went to NCT sale yesterday, even though I didn't need anything. It was great although once it got busy I got out, too many elbows!!!

Utopian your list looks great. I wouldn't worry about a change of clothes for dp though as they will probably advise him to go home for a shower once you've had the baby, just thinking of space for your things smile

pidj I think that'll be enough pants, you can always get more brought in.

Starting to get the occasional 'freak out' about giving birth.

Going to go shopping today for dd's winter wardrobe as she doesn't seem to have anything. Will then pop into Sainsburys for some bits. I expect today is the last day of 25% off

I also used moist toilet tissues, so much easier and feel cleaner. And I took anti bac wipes to sip the toilet seat before and after.

Bubbless Sun 30-Sep-12 07:44:26

hiya, kate+cookies yeah, works been a bit better! everyone else now realises what a DICK silly person the other preg lady is being so im getting a bit more of a chance to relax!
Still tiring as i have to be up so early, and dp isnt normally ready for bed until 10pm ish!
infact, he came home last night.. VERY excited that he had met someone off of my december mumsnet thread at work.. so.. shes just moved, shes due in late december, and she got a phone contract from a ginger guy in carphone warehouse in high wycombe yesterday.. ;)
i was very surprised!
either way, hello! enjoy your new phone! grin

hope everyones doing okay, what are we all doing with this whooping cough sitch? (sorry if ive missed the badwagon / havent read through properly!!)

PurplePidjin Sun 30-Sep-12 07:47:12

I might pack a small labour bag, then, and keep the holdall for after. Transport from Big Hospital to Local MLU is up to us anyway. Sounds like we need to take an entire camping kit confused

EggsMichelle Sun 30-Sep-12 08:03:44

Please don't get me wrong Friend, I appreciate the NHS, and am grateful we have access to such a service (I work for them after all) however it is sadly ran and regulated by people who have little knowledge of the implementation of care and this is where the organising side falls apart.

I think my feet have swollen from all the decorating yesterday, been awake with aches and pains, hopefully it's not the flu jab!

I just fell over dd's washing machine whilst carrying a load of washing across the kitchen. I cried lots. Dd gave me cuddles though. Could really do with some good luck if anyone has some spare?! Might just go and wallow on the sobbing sofa..... <woe is me> wink

emilyeggs Sun 30-Sep-12 08:23:50

Awww spotty hope your ok

Flumpy2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 08:57:45

Hugs to spotty x

Oh spotty, I have always maintained that housework is hazardous for your health!

FriendofDorothy Sun 30-Sep-12 09:39:35

I know EggsMichelle but having now moved to somewhere that doesn't have the NHS it winds me up hearing people complain about it because however bad it is life is infinitely better with it than without it!

Clarella Sun 30-Sep-12 10:07:44

Morning! Hope ur ok spotty

Enjoying hospital bag talk - I always give a gift of a little bottle of pure lavender for after the birth to my closest friends (boots do 2 sizes) since my friend who had a terrible tear said how really very much appreciated it was for bath for sore bits. I have treated my self cos I know no-one else will remember how much I love it! It's great for thrush too though not sure about in pregnancy (woman at alnwick poison garden reckoned lavender terrible for pregnant ladies, but then she enjoyed being dramatic and I thought lavender was one if the 'safe' oils) You could throw a box if sea salt in too.

Somewhere else I read that it can be nice for older but young child to get a gift from the new baby for anyone on #2.

Nct woman mentioned a plastic jug for cooling bits, plus water spray (which the boys - they all turn into yr10's in a biology class at nct - turned evolved into one of those pump action water pistols and thought of lots of uses for it during 'the event' but refused to disclose what these were)

My only extra thing is if u want any sort of tankini/ bikini top for a water birth I just like a bit of support! and I might take a radio in to distract me from pain cos I like r4 and find it distracting smile (if they let me)

Oh vaseline seems useful some how too.

Vaseline for when lips get dry sucking on the gas and air?

That sounds like a lovely present and idea, definitely taking lavender oil and salts. These lists are very useful, I'm going to take note of them all and pack the bag by Friday!

Hope you're ok spotty I think that's three things now so you should be ok now!

issimma Sun 30-Sep-12 11:05:40

Excellent, hospital bag lists! Will read properly and then add any pearls of wisdom hmm. With DD, it stayed in the car until she was several hours old, so am much more blase this time!
Anyone else having an ELCS? Means the TENS can stay at home at least wink.

We've got the kids 'best big brother/sister' teddies from the baby, but I think we're going to give them at Xmas. The kids are old enough to know a newborn doesn't bring presents with them when they're born! Lol

Am sorting through my wardrobe, it's very sad at least there's more room in the wardrobe now. Also taking the opportunity to get rid of stuff I've been keeping, but really shouldn't wear now I'm getting older. Lol, it's taken a lot to realise I'm not a teenage parent anymore. Stilettos with mini skirts are prob not the best outfit of choice. Lol I'm much more a stilettos and pencil skirt kind of lady now wink

Must buy another storage box for the loft to store my much loved clothes.

I'm nearly finished with the hospital bag I think, I keep putting it off though.

HoneyMum21 Sun 30-Sep-12 11:35:20

Oh Spotty - hope you're ok.

Does anyone have any idea how long i'm likely to have to stay in hospital after an ELCS? (providing all goes well and to plan and baby is doing well)

Flumpy2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 12:16:13

If anyone is offered steroid injections to help babies lungs incase of pre term labour I warn you now they bloody hurt!!!

I'm no chicken for needles, I've had hundreds of canulas put in over the years and have b12 injections monthly for 5 years now. She asked me to hold onto something and said it stings a little - I nearly went through the ceiling!!! I woke this morning and have no feeling in my left leg which they say should wear off and worst still it was only half the dose so I have to go back tonight for the next one!! xx

HoneyMum21 Sun 30-Sep-12 12:21:22

Oh dear flumpy - that sounds painful. Thanks for the heads up though. Hope you're ok

Flumpy2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 12:26:58

Thanks. We're fine just had some bleeding but it's from the cervix rather than inside so they're ok about it. They just decided it would be a good time to do these sad

Oh blinking heck I hate needles too and finding out whether I'll be having the steroid injections tomorrow when I see the consultant. Please say I don't mr baby man, please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now