Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feb 13 - part 3!

(472 Posts)
Panzee Fri 28-Sep-12 17:42:49

I'm not one for fancy titles, but I see the last one is full, so here it is...

I remember my first, he 'flicked' me from the inside too. This one is swirls and somersaults. smile

Panzee Thu 04-Oct-12 17:09:16

Had a consultant appointment today, asked about water birth (previous C section). He said there was no problem as long as baby is happy and labour progressing well. They do not insist on continuous monitoring either (unless there are any problems), so all is looking good for as normal a birth as anyone. smile

Thanks supermum it has been horrible and I was like you, just thought it was part of my pregnancy so said nothing for ages, it was what led to me being hospitalised the first time really for dehydration - I had just thought I had normal morning sickness but seeing doctors and getting medication has definitely helped a bit.

Nothing wrong with used things gbnewbie We're first timers so need absolutely everything and it was a bit of a shock when I realised how much everything costs new - all the £10 changing mats and £100 car seats definitely add up!! Don't think we'll be trying reusable nappies though, but thats prob more to do with laziness on my part than anything else! blush

panzee good that your appointment went well smile I'm hoping for a waterbirth too.

ImPeppaPigOink Thu 04-Oct-12 21:45:20

Hi

I was on the original thread but ended up losing the thread and just found it again.

I am having a DD so baby will be DD2. DD has named her and is super excited for having a sister.

I'm due 3rd Feb.

Want2bSupermum Fri 05-Oct-12 02:40:45

Queen It also might be worth trying different prenatals. I am here in the US and they make you take them. Once I found the right one for me the MS became bearable. I totally agree with you on nappies. If I can get a job in the next month I will be taking 6-8 weeks off and returning to work. I don't have the time to be washing crappy nappies.

Def get 2nd hand if you can because you will be shocked at how quickly they grow out of everything. DD is 14 months and half of our basement is a graveyard of jumperoos, exersaucers, infant car seat, bumbo seat etc. I have 8 buckets of clothes too for 0-12 months. I think I could set up a daycare center with all of the stuff we have!

Gbnewbie Fri 05-Oct-12 08:57:55

Hello to all the returners!

I'm hoping for a water birth too smile

WitchityBroom Sat 06-Oct-12 10:52:44

Hi all. Sorry for the long absence. Spent the last week in absolute hell as was told at 20wk scan last Friday that baby had two severely dilated kidneys. We were told to come back for a repeat scan in a week, i.e. yesterday.

I had a terrible week, imagining all sorts of awful scenarios, only to be scanned again yesterday and told that the previous doctor had read the results wrong: the baby is fine and only has borderline to mild dilation of one kidney which will probably self-rectify. Phew! Stupid doctor. Very glad she was wrong though. smile

Now I can relax and look forward to the arrival of my boy. grin

Gbnewbie Sat 06-Oct-12 11:08:10

Oh thats awful Witchity, don't know how I would've coped. Everything crossed that it will correct itself.
I've forgotten if you already told us you were having a boy (another case of sieve brain) so congrats if I haven't!?

WitchityBroom Sat 06-Oct-12 13:17:20

Nope, haven't mentioned the sex until now, so thanks for the congrats. smile

I'm quite confident that all will be okay now. It's a pretty common problem in its mild form and the doc said it's unlikely he will need any treatment other than some anti-biotics post-natally. How I feel now doesn't even compare to the torture of the past week so it's all good in the Broom household. grin

Want2bSupermum Sat 06-Oct-12 13:48:26

Witchity That is great news! I am afraid to say I know how awful that wait is. I had my scan at 18 weeks with DD and there was an issue with her heart. We went back at 21 weeks for a 2nd scan and everything was fine. I couldn't function for those three weeks and I can't describe the weight that was lifted from our shoulders when they told us that everything was fine.

Panzee While there is a natural birthing suite at our hospital I will need constant monitoring as I had preclampsia with DD.

I am trying to do as much as I can to control my weight gain as the dr said they only wanted me gaining 20-25lbs in total as this should reduce the risk of me getting preclampsia again. So far I have gained 4lbs but the exercising is getting harder as the SPD is ramping up.

witchity & want2b that must have been so scary for both of you as you waited for more news. So glad to hear that everything is ok.

Thanks for the advice re prenatal vits - I have a doc's appt at the beginning of the week and plan on discussing this with him. I am taking a few bits already (when I can keep them down!) but feel like I might need something extra as just so exhausted all the time and no energy. Hoping he can suggest something that could help.

Panzee Sat 06-Oct-12 16:17:27

The delivery rooms, pool and an operating theatre are all in the same little area at our hospital. Maybe that's why they're more relaxed?

alranson Sun 07-Oct-12 21:01:54

Evening all.
I am due on 27/2/13. Desperate to meet other first time mothers due around then in the Marylebone/W1 area. I know everyone says go to NCT but I wouldn't last five minutes.

Thank you.

Want2bSupermum Mon 08-Oct-12 01:37:45

Queen I found the chewable tablets were much better for me because I didn't need fluid to wash them down. I am in the US and they push prenatals on everyone. I was given a dozen of so different types and told to keep going until I found the right one for me. It took a couple of weeks but I got there.

While it was horrible to go through it I appreciate good health so much more now. I also booked my scan this time as late as I could to avoid putting myself through the same stress as last time.

WitchityBroom Tue 09-Oct-12 10:08:35

So, what buggy is everyone getting? Top of my list is the Uppababy Vista. Is it too early to start buying stuff? I don't want to get carried away too soon.

Want2bSupermum Tue 09-Oct-12 14:16:22

Witchity I think it is a good idea to go look at what is available because there is so much choice. The Uppababy Vista was my first choice but the basket could only hold 5lbs and I didn't like the way it folded. I was worried that I might accidently fold the thing on the baby when trying to extend the handle!

I went with the babyjogger citiselect because I wanted the option of a 2nd seat. I really like it and miss it when we have to use the maclaren. If you don't want or need the option of the 2nd seat I would suggest you look at the citimini. Part of me regrets not getting that one and then upgrading to a double now I am going to have two that are 18 months apart.

want2b chewable tablets would be perfect for me as I've never been good at taking normal tablets. Plus some mornings when I take my anti sickness meds I throw the water back up, meaning the tablet comes back up too. It's a shame I don't think the meds come in chewable form but I'll definitely look out for some chewable vits etc, thanks for the suggestion smile

witchity I've looked at the uppababy vista too and thought it was fab. It's on my shortlist at the mo. Another favourite is the mamas and papas sola. They work out at about the same price too when you include car seat, carrycot etc.

WitchityBroom Tue 09-Oct-12 22:04:33

Queen I'd heard bad reports about the Mamas and Papas buggies. A few people on MN said that the wheels lock and break after about 3 months. My friend has a Sola, though, and it's been fine for her.

Want2b Thanks, I'll look at the Babyjoggers. I'm not sure about needing another seat. This'll be my first baby, but I do want to have at least one more, if possible. I think there is an add-on for the Uppababy, but I don't know what the age range is for that. Difficult to plan ahead that far. confused grin
Re. The Uppababy handles, I think we'd probably have it extended all the time as I'm quite tall and DH is extremely tall. I do have a mini-mum though and she'd definitely need to make it smaller, so it's something I guess I'll have to consider.

Got to find a decent co-sleeper cot, too. Not much choice in the UK. All the websites seem to be American.

philippameadows Tue 09-Oct-12 22:19:36

hello everyone ,, i am due on the 5th of feb with my 3rd baby have got 2 boys and have just found out that we are having a little girl sooooo excited smile

witchity I know a few people with a sola too who've not had any problems but it's good to get all perspectives. Still might go for the uppababy anyway! Have you looked at icandy prams at all?

Hi philippa congrats on your little girl! smile I'm having a girl too but this is my first.

WitchityBroom Tue 09-Oct-12 23:07:43

Queen, I got the impression (perhaps unreasonably) that the iCandys were sort of glorified fashion accessories. Probably just being snooty though. grin

Hi and welcome, Philippa. smile

WitchityBroom Tue 09-Oct-12 23:11:12

Also, the reason I was thinking about the Uppababy was because I heard it's good for tall people and DH is 6ft9. It's also good for tall children, just in case the baby takes after his daddy.

Want2bSupermum Wed 10-Oct-12 03:09:44

Hi Phillipa Congrats on your DD. I have a DD who is 15 months. DC#2 will be a boy for me. Dressing up girls is the best. I have DD in dresses all the time.

Witchity Get your DH to go with you to test drive the ones on display. DH is 6ft3 and his Dad is 6ft6. Both are ok with the citiselect but kick the wheels on the maclaren which has higher handles when they are fully extended. The Chicco cortina travel system also worked but I found it too heavy. Was a shame though because the price was good.

Panzee Wed 10-Oct-12 06:49:55

My Mamas and Papas buggy did get a bit stiff but WD40 sorts it just fine. It is heavy but I coped last time post C section and don't really want to fork out for another. There's a Chicco buggy and a Baby Jogger in the house too. The BJCM is the best pram I've ever pushed and folded bar none. I don't think mine fits the carrycot but to all the first timers there I recommend the BJCM. It's fantastic.

I thought the icandy prams were ok, but a bit expensive for what they are? Have seen cheaper ones that are practically the same thing or sometimes better?!

We don't need to think about something for tall people, me & DH are both short arses grin

sarah8787 Wed 10-Oct-12 18:38:00

Hi Im due on 7th of feb, Can't wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now