Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - counting down the weeks

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Tue 25-Sep-12 23:33:48
MissMummy1 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:11:28

My aunt is a receptionist at my surgery. Popped in today when I was over that way to see if they knew anything else about the whooping cough vaccine. APPARENTLY my name is the only one on the list of people who have asked about it?! 'Off record' they have the vaccine's in the fridge but aren't allowed to give them out yet as the practice manager hasn't decided who will be administering them or whether they will be given with the flu jab (which are 2 Saturday morning drop-in sessions for the pregnant, elderly and others requiring it...). Unimpressed doesn't cover it. My aunt is going to kick up a fuss for me. If it's not sorted by Monday I'm going to start properly complaining. I used to be so bolshy and militant before I became pregnant, now I just crumble at the thought of confrontation....

Peaky1 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:28:53

MM Ring public health (I got the number from the PCT...and then got passed around to about 3 other numbers...worked wonders to fuel the rage!) Eventually I got through to a lovely lady who is going to try and sort it for me today so that I can just have both on Saturday. I just explained that I didn't understand the logic and I refused to waste a doctors time when they can have me in and out in 2-3 mins tops. Thankfully she totally agreed and started throwing in her own reasoning of me needing it to protect my baby sooner rather than later as I'm 36 weeks. I'll let you know how I get on!

WaitingForMe Thu 04-Oct-12 14:46:50

I had a different midwife today and after feeling him couldn't find his heartbeat. He'd snuck around behind the placenta and was tucked down my right side.I said my usual midwife had observed he didn't like the Doppler. I rather like it, him being an uncooperative little sod makes him seem so much more real!

All jabbed up and feeling bruised.

ValiumQueen Thu 04-Oct-12 15:02:18

It is simply not good enough. What qualifications do you need to be a practice manager? I am sure they do not have any health qualifications yet are making decisions like this. Public health is the way to go most definately. We need this as soon as possible to ensure baby gets best chance of getting antibodies. No guarantee they will be protected, but they need the best chance to be!

Tiago Thu 04-Oct-12 15:07:32

It seems my doctors is more on the ball than most - I got my wc vaccine this morning. Such a variable response from a 'national' service!

MissMummy1 Thu 04-Oct-12 15:27:36

Thanks for the advice Peaky and good luck! Let me know how you get on, I may follow tack if I haven't heard anything by Monday. I'm only 32 weeks (today) so don't want to come on full hardcore-pregnant-arsehole until I have to!

I'm meant to be meeting my dad tonight after work to 'discuss and choose a mattress'. He's famous for being worse than useless, and normally only ever gets in touch when he wants/needs something, so this is a bit of a novelty! Any advice on what to go for? Sprung/foam/etc? I'm completely clueless!! plus I'm likely to be in an arsey mood come 9pm and not in the place to make any decisions for myself!

Peaky1 Thu 04-Oct-12 15:31:05

The result? Public health booked me an appointment with the practice nurse for double jab at 15:30 so I'm sat in the waiting room now. Apparently I should have been called about this yesterday and the practice nurse was disappointed to hear that I hadn't been booked in. Meh! I still feel angry that it won't change for everyone else, I'm just getting this treatment because I knew who to ask (thanks to all prev comments for the tips on who to call, I would've just gone to PALS otherwise)

horseylady Thu 04-Oct-12 15:41:39

Mm I bought the sprung mattress from John lewis. Looks brilliant currently airing!! Bought a waterproof mattress cover today from asda for it too. Was £80 I'll get you the link....

horseylady Thu 04-Oct-12 15:43:18

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/231348009/Product.aspx

horseylady Thu 04-Oct-12 15:44:05
ValiumQueen Thu 04-Oct-12 15:55:27

Result peaky

MissMummy1 Thu 04-Oct-12 16:00:53

Thanks horsey looks great - I'll suggest it if it isn't one of his options!

Fab result peaky!

Peaky1 Thu 04-Oct-12 16:14:06

Ha! It gets more amusing. Public health rang me and said 15:30 with practice nurse or next Tuesday with doctor. I said 15:30 and I'll drive round there now. As I was sat in the waiting room (10 mins early) I got a text from the surgery confirming my appointment for next Tuesday even though I explained to the receptionist who I was seeing and that public health had booked it. At 4pm the receptionist called my name and said 'oh! You're still here!' I asked if the PN knew I was waiting and she said no. She called me back over and said my appt is Tuesday with the doc. I explained again what was arranged. PN now can't see me but the doc knows I'm waiting and will see me ASAP. So, I get my jabs today but I've still wasted a doctors time. It feels very 1-1 if we're keeping score. Things could be so simple but not here!!! You just have to stand there and shake your head in disbelief to save from having an embarrassing public rage! Poor DP will get my more animated account later

StuntNun Thu 04-Oct-12 16:17:19

A CTG Detective? Is baby okay?

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so will try and arrange WC vaccine then. I don't want to have it until after my exam on Wednesday as I don't want to feel ill for my exam it will be hard enough having to go out to the loo five times. I hope I get another referral from the doctor after having been discharged by the ENT clinic already. They diagnosed me with hearing loss but didn't do anything about it so I'm hoping I might be able to get lip reading lessons. At the moment I just guess what people are saying to me which probably leads to some strange conversations.

ValiumQueen Thu 04-Oct-12 16:30:53

Unbelievable peaky. I am glad you got them eventually.

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Thu 04-Oct-12 16:38:14

Just back from apt where I was booked for WC jab and they gave me the flu jab too. Unbelievable the different treatments people are getting. peaky I think I would have had the rage after that!

PicKed up our Phil &Teds buggy from eBay seller and really pleased. Think we have everything now. Just need to finalise bag packing for hospital and sort out baby's clothes and storage. Not long to go!

ValiumQueen Thu 04-Oct-12 16:42:28

madam I have a PnT too. Pleased so far. Just need to pump up tyres and put anti thorn tape in them as they are prone to punctures. I had a problem the other week when the front wheel locked, but I know how to fix it now. Also it can be a bitch to put down until you get the hang of it. DD2 loves sitting in it as it is higher and straighter than her old pushchair.

MissMummy1 Thu 04-Oct-12 16:48:03

Feckity feck. My client's just cancelled tonight. Family death, so I'm feeling like the worst person in the world for counting how much money I'm losing (only £60 but it's already been spent!) and being slightly pissed off that I got up at 6 this morning to take DH to work when in actual fact I didn't need the car! Need to break the news to DH now that although I can pick him up from work, he's now having dinner with my dad as well...

Detective I cross posted earlier. Hope all is okay.

Peaky that would tip me over into a full on rage! When I said earlier my militant arsey streak had disappeared with pregnancy, what I actually meant was it now boils up and explodes all at once with unreasonable shouty hormonal outbursts... usually followed by floods of tears! and usually directed at DH blush

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Thu 04-Oct-12 16:52:37

VQ we took DD with us to collect and she wasn't interested in trying it out - she thinks its for the baby and so wanted to push it, rather than sit in it! Hope it doesn't prove to be a wasted purchase!

Passmethecrisps Thu 04-Oct-12 18:25:40

I just looked up CTG. I hope all is well detective.

Well, after me calling my surgery yesterday and being told to all back next week for an appointment one of the GPs called this afternoon and asked if I wanted to pop in on my way home.

Did that and got both flu and whooping cough. Doc was telling me that they have had a fair few people presenting with the WC symptoms but when the results come back they are negative so he says they are finding t quite difficult to identify. I find it astonishing how differently we are all being treated - I live 10 miles from VQ but our treatment has been completely different.

Last day of work tomorrow. Still noone identified to take over my role. It's pretty hard handing over to noone in particular. I have so many bits of things to get done tomorrow I am absolutely certain I will remember something vital when I am driving home.

Sophiathesnowfairy Thu 04-Oct-12 18:30:14

Detective hoping all is ok.

Had trip to mothercare this morning for last minute bits. Spent ages in there just fannying around. Think I am pretty much done except for some nice to haves, but I haven't thought what they are yet.

Enjoying 1st cup of Raspberry leaf tea with The Night Garden!

StuntNun Thu 04-Oct-12 18:43:43
Peaky1 Thu 04-Oct-12 19:00:42

Oh Detective I hope everything gets sorted and all is well following the tests. I feel worn out just reading your posts so I really do hope you get some good rest soon.

kissyfur Thu 04-Oct-12 19:18:53

Hope all is ok Detective

Thanks for the tip on the Primarni vests Peaky I went and got some today. Also got some of those maternity bed mats from Boots.

Saw my consultant today and all seems to be going well. The clinic was running very late tho and I waited 1hr 20mins! hmm A student doctor measured my bump and I'm measuring 33.5 which is spot on for my dates, was measuring a bit bigger than dates before but I presume that's all ok as my consultant didn't seem worried!? Starting to ache in the hips a bit now, still, only 2 weeks left of work! grin yahooooooo

TheDetective Thu 04-Oct-12 19:47:58

Spent over 90 minutes on the damn thing, but baby is fine!

Now for a whinge! I was supposed to have a home antenatal check and a homebirth assessment, which I was told was just to check a few last details.

Anyway, the midwife who came was just so negative, I felt quite stressed by the end. I mean they are supposed to be on call for me from next Saturday! And they have no one to cover a lot of the nights. For example Friday and Saturday this week aren't covered at all! That's 48 hours of no home birth cover! I feel exhausted from just wondering about it all. I really don't need this right now! I just want to feel like I'm going to get the care I need. I am yet to meet anyone who hasn't been negative about my plans, or in the least bit supportive. I'm beginning to feel like I'm up against the wall, and being backed in to a corner. I'm seriously considering not calling anyone out, and doing it alone, because I'll get more bloody peace of mind than wondering every day if anyone is going to be on call. I've tears running down my face just writing this. I feel like I'm going to be railroaded in to either going in, or doing it alone. No one will attend me at home in labour. Or so it feels. I just keep being told we will call an ambulance and then it is down to you to get in it and go to hospital. It's your own fault if you don't. I asked what the situation was if I was to be labouring, and the midwives attending come to the end of their shift and there is no one on call after. Guess what, I will be told to go in! angry

I know it isn't individual peoples fault, it is the system, but it makes me so mad to think about it all.

I mentioned (wish I hadn't...) about the growth, and said that I had concerns that baby was smaller from early in the pregnancy, but no one else had picked up on it, or was concerned. I explained that I had been regularly monitoring the growth myself, and that although it was consistently on the smaller size, the growth was regular, and not static. It has been growing 1cm a week. Baby is very active, and I had no other concerns. I explained about the growth scan in work as my colleagues also felt the same as me, that the baby was on the smaller size, but that the scan showed everything was fine, but yes, smaller baby. Doppler, liquor volume and everything else was fine. Scan was reviewed by one of our consultants who said that had I gone with that scan to clinic there would be no further action unless fundal height dropped off further. I had a copy of the scan report to show her, where the consultant has written appropriately grown baby. No concerns.

So then she measured me, and (finally!) got the same measurement that I and my colleague got - 32cm at 35+5. She immediately became defensive, and put the pressure on to go to consultant clinic. I explained that I would do this, but not at this point, as you can't repeat a growth scan in under 2 weeks, and it would be a total waste of time to go to clinic at this point. I asked to be seen again next week and measured, and referred if there has been no growth, which I don't think is unreasonable. She then changed tack to DP to get him to persuade me to attend. She told him to ring her to discuss any concerns he had??!

I'm now feeling like some kind of crazy woman for daring to take responsibility for my own choices.

She rang me about an hour after she left and asked me to go for a CTG in day assessment this afternoon, which I have no problem with, I'm not in the business of harming my children (!!) and I want to know all is well. And I believe all is well in my heart. I just don't see the need to be referred to a consultant right at this point. Yes, next week if needs be. I am quite confident that the baby is following it's growth line, even if it is on the smaller size. And yes, the CTG was fine. And I was having regular braxton hicks

Oh, and to make today even worse - I've just been told all the birth pools are out with women, and chances are I won't be able to get one. So now I have 9 days to get one, and find £100 for it. Great.

Sorry. I needed to let some steam off sad

This thread is not accepting new messages.