Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

March 2013 VI: cooking, crocheting and chit-chat

(959 Posts)
theTramp Tue 25-Sep-12 18:00:54
TheAngelshavetheOod Tue 16-Oct-12 09:17:59
Sheldonella Tue 16-Oct-12 08:32:10

New thread:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1588951-March-2013-VII-Our-little-pumpkins-are-getting-fatter

Hope title is ok grin

Chefette Tue 16-Oct-12 07:57:54

Oh yes, poo-mageddon hilarious, good luck with move flowery, whoop whoop for Christmas, nails are wrecked with working on house, no BHs, (wouldn't have a clue) oh and would someone else put up the new pumpkin thread seeing as I made such an ass of the one before this one?! blush

Chefette Tue 16-Oct-12 07:30:12

Morning campers. Candles lovely, I would have lit one, but they're wet..,,,

Flippancy aside (my defense mechanism when stressed and on the edge!!!) the lighting of candles to remember women, babies and their families affected by stillbirth is beautiful. My thoughts with you rainbow and my friend and her baby girl who died in April.

Jeez I can't remember who else I wanted to say stuff to, that's the worst of being on phone, Ethel I'm sure I want to dash off a line to, hmmmm.

Possum how was the big city (grin) and Kevin Bridges? At the music hall? Did you go somewhere yummy for your tea?? We are supposed to be going to ABZ early Nov to see Michael macintyre, as long as grandma can baby sit DSS that eve.

So the roofer came yesterday. We are worried given the first thing that he did when he got up on top was to be silent as he survey the lie of the land and then laughed. Quite a lot. Apparently he has only seen 3 roofs worse than this. Ever. One was a byre that had no roof.

%23sigh%23 not had numbers yet but all indications are that McGuez's uni fund is screwed. Royally.

So, good progress Jojo with study plans, that always makes you feel better knowing where you stand and what your targets are. Your literature review subject sounds really interesting. If it is of any use I am more than happy to proof read as second eyes (used to do this a lot for other PhD colleagues) mand I never offered for you at the time, as I kept thinking you were submitting book imminently! blush sorry.

No doubt I'll post again as I realise that I probably haven't written anything I wanted to ah yes!

Birth plans: not had to go there yet, but it's quite emphasised here, but so is the acknowledgement that you can't always have what you plan due to circumstance.

As it is a midwife led unit tho, there are keen on women driving the birth, and do there is not a lot of planned intervention, do for example if you or baby not at risk they won't induce you for ages, until there is risk to deterioration of placenta, after 42 weeks ish.

The birthing room is fabulous, pool, wee bed, lamps, Cody throws and night-lights!!! Apparently people come from London, Glasgow, Inverness to have their babies here, 80% of babies born at our unit are water babies!!!

So gonna try for that, knowing that if it all goes a but squiggly then I get wheeched off to Dundee (other half asked very pointed questions bout transfer time, location of ambulance station, and the monitoring and testing schedule of key equipment checks, very manly , aw!!).

Sorry such a long essay, makes the trip to work quicker-it's not my week to drive for the car share so am doing a Lady Penelope (nice name?!). Nearly at the door so will love ye and leave ye quinnies (!) (not rude that honest, just the Doric [ie northeast of Scotland] word for girls or lasses). grin

lannyshrops Tue 16-Oct-12 06:31:25

Morning all!
Your birth plan is even more detailed than mine tramp! I'm impresed! Out of everyone I know, not one has has the birth they "planned". All of them ended up getting upset because their birthing experience didn't live up to what they had planned in their head. For that reason I will not be planning anything other than, dh to be with me, best friend also on hand incase he can't cope and do whatever is best for me and baby at the time.

theTramp Mon 15-Oct-12 23:32:32

Crikey I completely missed the fab scan news and Chef's dripping house plight. apologies, phone scanning means I miss lots. Anyway, as ever - nice to hear from everyone and glad we're still all muddling merrily along.

I was asked what my birthing plan was today and I explained - drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. Queue laugh, no really what is your birth plan? I believe my raised eyebrow said it all. They gave me a pitying look. Personally I think my plan is about as succinct as I am going to get on this matter. Anyone else?

Em2010 Mon 15-Oct-12 23:10:35

Evening All,

Apologies, I'm on my phone so cant name check as much as I'd like! I'll have a go but apologies if I forget anyone!

Thanks for all the advice on potty training! I have a sneaky feeling that one of the main reasons that I'm putting it off is because I can't be faffed and that is not a good reason! I have a week off work coming up so I will see how things lie then!

confuddled congratulations on your dd! Wonderful news!

pink yes to braxton hicks! Have had the odd few for a couple of weeks now, thought it was too early but google said otherwise!

jojo glad to hear if successful meeting with tutor, shame you can't be sure where you stand with her though.

eig sorry to mr eig but that story was hilarious!

ethel sorry to hear that you've also been suffering from the dreaded hormones. I also have a defensive husband and could write a whole page of examples of how he's driving me potty at the moment!

manda yes to bruising! I am also putting it down to the aspirin. Guess it must be doing its job then!

rainbow lovely to hear from you. I lit a candle this evening. It's a lovely idea.

zoey glad to hear you are on the mend and baby is bopping! Enjoy your sub!

possom hope you've enjoyed your day- sounded good!

Ok my (poor) memory has gone now! Went to fill up my car with petrol earlier and stood at the pump for a good two minutes trying to remember how to put petrol in the car, filled up with petrol then remembered I had actually set out to go to Next and not petrol at all!

confuddledDOTcom Mon 15-Oct-12 22:16:35

I lit my candles at 7pm and have had a status message since yesterday that got shared around asking people to light theirs. Was nice to see all the photos pop up on Facebook from people who were lighting candles for others.

lannyshrops Mon 15-Oct-12 21:49:55

Oh cheff nearly forgot, wet suit on the way! [Grin] how bloody horrid for you ((hugs))

lannyshrops Mon 15-Oct-12 21:46:56

Hey all!
Love the new thread title, fat little pumpkins! Gets my vote!
Congrats on scan confuddled and on girly! Woop woop! Mine is a week tomorrow and I am so excited!!
So pleased all is well zoey I have never had a subway, am I missing something?! Sounds like it!
emus I have no idea when anything will be finished! <groans and sits in corner rocking> a good deal done today however including temporary cat flap for puss complete with steps up and down, the absolute cutest!

Emus Mon 15-Oct-12 21:40:46

Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas!! ;0p. Please don't ban me!

I am usually out of the country when it comes to Halloween and fireworks therefore they don't count for me. That'll all change next year though ;-). Love winter.

Flowery good luck with the move and getting a sofa. When we first moved we bought an small ex demo sofa on the cheap from Harvey's and we still have it. It did us though until we ordered a proper one.

ThreeForTea Mon 15-Oct-12 21:04:36

eig Just laughed out loud at that story! oh my gosh, can just imagine a little boy and a dad coming down the garden path covered in poo did you get a photo?

flowery yes join us, we could have a splinter thread 'bumps and lumps (of poo)' or something! smile

ThreeForTea Mon 15-Oct-12 20:51:06

Tramp my nails were, but I let them go too far and now they've all broken off and look rubbish again sad Was quite enjoying people mistaking them for falsies for a while there!

Pink we must have just missed each other on a nov/dec 10 thread when they were born!

Emus and that goes for mentioning the C word more than twice in a post until after Guy fawkes [stern] grin

Rainbow nice to see you post, hope you're doing ok. Thanks for message about candles. I lit one for the baby we lost in February and one for the baby my friend/god-sister lost a very long time ago but that I have never forgotton. She was three days old when she died and my friend was only 17 at the time. My dd was born on the 10th anniversary of her death, friend and her mum (my god mum) came to visit us when my dd was three days old and it was so emotional seeing her have a cuddle. They even looked quite similar as well but I think for her holding dd was healing in a strange way. It is even a bit special somehow that dd and her dd have that connection.

eigmum Mon 15-Oct-12 20:49:48

Thanks everyone for the nice messages and so glad zoey is ok. I had been checking in my breaks from the bathroom. Now very bored of white toast and bananas .... but it seems the family was all going to be talking poo this weekend ....

On the potty training we waited til DS was 2.5 and has the hang of it now apart from this Saturday when hubbie took him to the park. dS needed the loo and all the toilets were locked as out of order. So hubbie held him over the urinal, only problem was poo came out as well as wee all over hubbies jumper, jeans and fell on his shoes. They came back and when I asked what happened my husband described it as "poo-meggeden"!

Finally something to laugh about .... Clearly I have poo on the brain .... Oh for life out of the house feeling well (but I suppose if I can't have that at least husband brings entertainment home! )

FloweryBoots Mon 15-Oct-12 20:30:47

Zoey Glad you and little one are doing OK. Hope the antibiotics aren't causing you any probs!

JoJo I seem to remember reading something last time round about buying a sheet of plywood or MDF to put under the mattress to help firm it up and it's common to find the need for a firmer mattress when preggers. Might be worth thinkng of in combination with your exciting new pillow!

Three My DS was 2 in August. I thought about trying potty training when we had 10 days off in August but the childminder was horrified when I mentioned it in passing so we didn't bother and I now regret that as have no oportunity for ages now and I'm sure he'd do it now given the chance. He got a sore bum the other week after a bit of a bug and I kept him nappy free on the Saturday and we had about half wees on potty, half on floor (no pants), and he quite often tells me he needs a wee and does it in the potty when he is sanz nappy before or after a bath. Think we'll have to try at Christmas though it's hardly ideal with all the visiting that goes on at Christmas. Oh well! If it fails I'll join you and Emus in Feb!

Emus Hope the unpacking is going well. We are hoping to exchange contracts next week some time if poss. Rental contract ends in five weeks, eek, don't want to end up homeless! Slightly worried we haven't ordered a sofa - leed times are probably longer than 5 weeks and hopefully that's when we'll be able to move. Looks like we might have nothing to sit on when we do (always rented so far and don't have our own sofa, though do at least have own bed).

TheAngelshavetheOod Mon 15-Oct-12 20:03:11

tramp think it's a bit of both, mine were really good last time but crap as usual this time.

I do early Xmas shopping( check out the Xmas bargains thread) but nothing else til mid Dec

theTramp Mon 15-Oct-12 19:56:03

No talk of Christmas til after Nov 5th. It should be the law! smile (Halloween, fireworks, Christmas)

Glad you're ok Zoey, sounds like a stressful night a good rest should do wonders and v pleased to hear about sneaky scan and happy baby.

Anyone else finding their nails are growing super fast and are hard as tree trunks? I'm not sure if it's a preggers thing or a multi vitamin thing.

JoJo - glad dis was sorted in end. Your tutor does sound a bit difficult.

The loo training stuff is both making me laugh and filling me with dread. Seriously how do you teach someone to use a toilet? More I think on it more bizarre it is. And don't even start me on tying shoe laces..

Emus Mon 15-Oct-12 19:17:11

Glad you and baby are ok Zoey grin

Congratulations on your scan today Confuddled. A little girl grin

Lanny I'm taking it easy now although I'm frustrated that we have boxes everywhere unpacked! Still it's all coming together and we are buying new things for the house which is excited. I can sympathise with your decorating. Will you be done by Christmas?

Oh my gosh, I've just seen my first Christmas advert complete with Christmas music and everything! I'm so excited grin.

Sheldonella Mon 15-Oct-12 19:03:04

Thanks for that rainbow I have lit a candle for mine. Hope you are ok x

zoeymlucas Mon 15-Oct-12 19:01:48

Sorry for not posting earlier I spent the night in hospital after a rather large bleed it has now totally stopped and they have found an infection in my stitch which isn't that un commen so loads of antibiotics etc to take for 10 days to stop it getting to bad- I don't actually feel ill or anything and got a sneaky scan as the tried to listen to baby with doppler but every time they got him he moved and they couldn't listen long enough so they had to get a scan machine and little man was sucking his thumb and kicking away and totally unaware of everything and has been VERY wiggly this evening!!!!!
I come home and ate my yummy subway I NEED another so think I have my craving and went and slept for a good few hours, I posted on Facebook but my iPad was downstairs and that seemed a long way smile

Hope you all had good days and thanks for all the messages on here and Facebook was really nice to see x

Rainbow I have just lit my candle for my baby I lost in May and after today's fun and games it seemed even more real- I hope your ok and bearing up as well as you can x

JoJoBella84 Mon 15-Oct-12 18:57:41

Have just cracked and purchased a Dreamgenii maternity support pillow, OH is winging the £40 across the wifi to me smile It's not something I could warrant the cost of normally; but if it supports me when I sleep, it will be worth the investment.
He's very nice buying me such practical things, I'll let you know how I sleep with it when it arrives on Weds but the reviews are great across a number of websites and I don't think I can handle another week of discomfort and the backache that is coming as I twist myself into crazy positions!!

Such a nice thought rainbow smile

TheAngelshavetheOod Mon 15-Oct-12 18:25:51

pink our half term is the week after.

Rainbowbabyhope Mon 15-Oct-12 18:03:42

Hi all. I have been taking a break from the thread as been trying not to focus on the pregnancy and just get on with life a bit. However I know that a number of us have suffered from or know someone who has suffered from miscarriages or have experienced stillbirth/infant loss so thought I would share this link with you:

http://www.babyloss-awareness.org/

Today is International Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day and people all around the world are lighting candles at 7pm to remember the babies that have died, as part Baby Loss Awareness campaign 2012. Its a lovely way for everyone to stop for a minute and remember the millions of lives lost.

Hope everyone is well and flourishing!

pinkpeony4 Mon 15-Oct-12 17:28:34

Three your Ds is the same age as mine. He is 2 at the end of Nov. he will tell me when he has done a poo which is more than the other two did! You can definitely try & give up if its a disaster. That's what I did with ds2 and no problems at all. He just wasn't ready at all when I first tried and got through endless pairs of pants. My top tip is to buy loads of v cheap pants (I got Thomas ones in Asda) and throw them away if they get pooed in. I cut them at the sides too which was less messy!

JoJoBella84 Mon 15-Oct-12 17:24:04

manda the meeting went well but only after I insisted on getting my head of programme involved due to my tutor telling me I would never keep up now that I'm 3 weeks behind and I would have to take a year out and then return!!
Anyway once the situation was sorted and I showed her the work I'd done so far she was really happy with my choices and gave me some good advice regarding search strategies and keywords etc!

She is a bit bi polar (not sure if she realises at times) but absolutely fantastic and really drives you and encourages you. I just need to find a way of coping with her personality swings!!!

I've chosen to do a 10,000 word lit review on cystic fibrosis in the under 5's. I think I'll be concentrating on treatments and motivators for treatments or how to encourage young children through play about self treatments etc . Still a work in progress obviously!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now