Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

March 2013 VI: cooking, crocheting and chit-chat

(959 Posts)
theTramp Tue 25-Sep-12 18:00:54
TribbleTuckandDismount Tue 25-Sep-12 20:09:30

Tramp I can give you shedloads of tips, we've used pretty much every nappy out there <looks in despair at nappy box>.

OodHousekeeping Tue 25-Sep-12 20:18:14

shield

Hi all!!!

Thanks for setting up the new thread tramp. will catch up properly later.

OodHousekeeping Tue 25-Sep-12 20:21:11

grin at tribs nappy habit , I've seen her FB! I'd love to be on reusable but only managed with dd1. Dd3 we tried ( v cute bamboo tiny nappies) but couldn't keep up with the 4 loads of washing from nappies/5 people's clothes & dd2 wetting the bed. Got a better washer now but still not sure we could keep up once there's 6 of us!

Oh and hi TTD!

TribbleTuckandDismount Tue 25-Sep-12 20:34:08

Hi everyone!

Ood I only did it because they looked cute.

OodHousekeeping Tue 25-Sep-12 20:36:35

grin they are! That's why I would love them rather guilty it's not for the environmental reasons

tiddleypompom Tue 25-Sep-12 21:13:10

I found a (full) urine sample bottle in my (mulberry) handbag once, when going to pay for a sarnie at Pret. I had been given it back by mw after appt about a fortnight before.

Nice.

Hi tribble, welcome on board smile

KFFOREVER Tue 25-Sep-12 21:14:26

I dont think its very hygenic to reuse our pots but maybe im wrong.

I truely admire those with toddlers and having morning sickness. I just about look after myself never mind another person.

Anyone found their glow? Thought i had it yesterday morning until the nausea started again last night.

JoJoBella84 Tue 25-Sep-12 21:32:09

kf in York we re use pots but the MW washes them out. In Aberdeen I get a new one each time!
I think I'm more glow-y now than I have been!! Or at least OH keeps commenting that I look well!!

Hello ladies
I blinked and missed about 800 messages so I think I have no chance of catching up. Must do better!!!

Anyone else had their morning sickness get worse? I started being sick this week after just having incredibly bad nausea the last 3 months. Am not ill, definitely ms! And still wiped out!

kirsty80 Tue 25-Sep-12 21:53:18

Hey! Just marking my place. I am officially just a reader of posts now.... Far too busy eating to keep up! Must. Stop. Eating!!! X

FloweryBoots Tue 25-Sep-12 21:58:17

I seem to have a plethora of wee pots - keep forgetting to take a sample so they give me one to nip off to the loos, then another to take home for next time, which I forget and I swear they are breading in the draw. Ayone want a spare! grin

Hi tribble, welcome aboard. I am (well was) a cloth nappy user. Sadly ditched them with the on set of horrid morning sickness and total lack of energy. Wasn't keeping on top of anything so they were one thing easily removed form the list of tasks. It goes through me the number of disposables we get through now though, shudder. Keep hoping I'll go back to them but 17 weeks tomorrow and still feeling rough and utterly exhausted. To be honnest, think DS (just turned 2) would potty train if we had a week to dedicate to it but don't have the spare holiday from work and don't feel we can hand him over with a potty and sack of clean clothes to the childminders and ask them to do it!

I'm old school and used terry squares. In my opinion they are ace! Bamboo (and also hemp) tend to take a lot longer to dry than cotton, but are more absorbant. I found our one bamboo nappy took about 3 days or more to dry in our London flat! Terries worked well for us as easy to dry since they open flat into just one thickness. We have some shaped one size cotton mother ease ones for the childminders or when out and about (hard to fold a nappy on a little chaing table in public loo!).

Stealth my MS hasn't got worse, but it's not gone. There are a handful of us still suffering (and of those that are most sound worse than me so I should stop whinging). I'm just fed up of it now - it gets pretty wearing doesn't it, just feel like I shouldn't have to be putting up with it still.

Lanny I would say somehting re th GTT - doesn't sound like you need it and sounds to me like it will be a chunk of your day lost for no need. Can't say I'm looking forward to mine. Starving in the morning then a fizzy drink, not going to be a good mix.

zoeymlucas Tue 25-Sep-12 22:02:40

In hampshire we have to re use the one pot I think it's disgusting and refuse to put it near my mulberry handbag unless it's wrapped in tissue and then in a plastice bag!!!

I am still retching a lot at things and not so much actually being sick, things just turn my stomach and I retch and that's me done with eating and anything in my mouth gets spat back out!!!

I think this GLOW is an urban myth, I am still exhausted and spotty!!!

HermioneBoo Tue 25-Sep-12 22:02:56

Stealth yes, and its so, so much worse than it was before! I had an ambulance out for me on Saturday. I've read it's to do with baby giving out a surge of hormones before the placenta takes over, ambulance man said all we can do is ride it out sad

I haven't been given my urine samples back but I've only seen MW once, my friend said that she was given a new bottle every time but was given her sample back. Quite what you do with it I'm not sure...

theTramp Tue 25-Sep-12 22:18:01

I too am in awe of you ladies with toddlers coping with pregnancy too. Youre bloomin amazing.

IWantAChipButty Tue 25-Sep-12 22:31:26

Another one hoping to use cloth nappies. I don't even know where to start with that though, there are so many different types! Would you recommend buying a couple of different types rather than a starter kit style thing? And are you better to wait to see how big your baby is? I think we will use disposables for the first few weeks until we've got over the initial shock of having a baby!

Sorry for you ladies still being sick it sounds horrendous. Hopefully it fades soon.

I'm just in from work, I hate late shifts I can't wait for maternity leave!

mandasand Tue 25-Sep-12 22:54:15

I turn away for a second and 42 messages on the new thread! Wow! Have been feeling a bit pathetic this evening. New ailment to moan about: the big knuckle bone connecting big toe to right foot has been aching for a couple of days now. I haven't hurt it and it doesn't look sore from the outside. But, my goodness, it aches and aches. I don't have a bunion there or anything like that. Toe just points forward normally.

OMG just thought I would get rid of the stupid idea in my head that pregnancy and bunions were related and it seems they can very much be. NOOOOOO. My Mum has bunions and they are horrible. I don't want a bunion!!! Now to google cures/preventative measures. Buggerbuggerbugger...

theTramp Tue 25-Sep-12 23:14:44

Mand - you've prob either strained it or it's got growing pains. Your feet can increase in size when preggers. How's that for horror!

I have my fabulous heated clothes horse, so I'm hoping that'll sort out bamboo nappy drying issues question is how many do you need, do they really work better. What's the routine - rinse before adding to wash machine? And I hadn't even thought about different sizes. Which is so obvious. Doh!

JoJoBella84 Wed 26-Sep-12 06:53:51

Another classic 'why did nobody tell me'? Line right there... Feet growing in pregnancy??! Flipping heck, do we ever get a break?!
Happy Wednesday everyone - I'm hiding in the bedroom until its time to leave. I'm so hungry I fear I may start chewing on OH's arm!!

zoeymlucas Wed 26-Sep-12 07:23:31

Morning all- feeling shattered after a rubbish nights sleep, our bedroom is the 3rd floor (loft) and the rain and wind was blinking awful last night and I just lay there listening to it and even when I got back asleep it kept waking- god luck work people if they annoy me grin
Finally 16 weeks which is nice and got my weekly phone update to prove it smile

I have had 2 babies and my feet have never grown, have swollen a bit but never actually grown, let's hoping it stays that way!!

Another one here for the sneezing all the time- and with my stitch it blinking stings every time - feels like someone is pulling my insides!!!

Good luck today Jojo I will be thinking of you and crossing my fingers and thinking of you all day- I know you will be fine though smile the nil by mouth thing is blinking awful so I hope your first on the list, I was 3rd and was ready to kill DH- however he did go to costa get a coffee and food and then sit there and eat them in front of me and then wondered why I was giving him ' that look'

sarahs999 Wed 26-Sep-12 07:32:55

No time to read, just bookmarking. Will catch y'all later!

DoodleBugBee Wed 26-Sep-12 07:42:25

Morning gang smile

Thanks for new thread - interesting to read about disposable/reusable nappies, not something I'd thought about.

I have a black tie event in October so looking at dresses with interest - my bump now has a turning circle blush and I'm only 14w

I found my glow and then lost it on Monday, peaks and troughs. Proper vomity morning on Monday and awful cramp. Also, Ripley (for that is its name) is very much loitering on my right hand side. Normal to be hanging around in one place? Very prominent solid bump when I wake up in the morning and all on the right. Any thoughts?

Porridge and an apple and then work.

Have a smashing Wednesday lovely ladies xxx

theTramp Wed 26-Sep-12 08:02:16

JoJo - thinking of you today and I hope someone is there with a tasty treat for you when you come round.

theTramp Wed 26-Sep-12 08:03:18

Doodle - ohh black tie. Nice. Do you have anything suitable or is it a shopping trip?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now