Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2013- part 3 scan scan scan

(998 Posts)
trying2bpos Fri 21-Sep-12 12:16:29

Started a new thread for all us April ladies.

Bambino29 Tue 02-Oct-12 18:28:36

P.S. thinking of you aufaniae and mama. x

toobreathless Tue 02-Oct-12 18:52:14

leluella you really should be given your result which means told the actual 'odds' as well as low/high risk. What I suspect your midwife means is that if there is a problem she will ring you in a week if not you should recieve a letter within 2 weeks.

SneezySnatcher Tue 02-Oct-12 20:44:43

I'm very happy. I've been craving Brie and Camembert but obviously we can't have it. The NHS site said it's ok as long as it's thoroughly cooked so I bunged a box of Camembert in the oven until it was like lava (and it burned my mouth) and had it with toasted crusty bread and red onion marmalade - gorgeous!

Scan went well, and happy to say little baby is growing well. I have now been dated at 14+1 when I was previously 13+4 and due date is now April the 1st ( was a bit concerned that she was going to give me a march date, as didn't want to have to leave the thread and join the march lot sad

NT measured at 1.8 which they were pleased with, although the sonographer said that baby measured at the very top end of when the can do the NT measurement, so we were lucky. Just waiting for my bloods to come back.

Have now made it official with friends and family, so the whole day has been overwhelming. Have now got a banging head with it all and desperate for my bed!

Ooh baked Camembert and crusty bread......... <drools>

HaveALittleFaith Tue 02-Oct-12 21:29:51

Oh if I'm so glad it's all good news for you (after what you went through last time!).

I've been lurking and keeping an eye on the news rolling in but just waiting for my scan (two weeks tomorrow since I'm latter end of the month!). I'm officially on holiday now though so I can chill out a bit smile

10+4

Ollibobs Tue 02-Oct-12 22:16:09

Sounds like it has been a good week for scans! Glad to hear everyone is hearing (and seeing) great news!

Thanks for asking for an update LoobyLou33 and Bambino29. I have actually just come in and got my letter for my scan/booking in appointment.

My booking in appointment (this Friday) and - get this - my scan date is scheduled for OCTOBER 31st!! When I will be 14+6!! That is way too late, right?

I was perfectly clear on the form when fertilization occurred (had IVF so we know the exact day) so its not like there is a change that I've miscalculated my days... So the hospital should know they are offering me a scan date that is too late.

AIBU to demand that I get the scan within the time frame that allows me to have my Nuchal test? From what I gather, this means that I will be too far along for a CVS should we want it after we get the results back... I don't want to be denied the access to the testing that is available.

I am not going to lie, I am furious. Apologies for being all me, me, me but I have had to fight to get the scan even sorted and now they are booking me in so late. 14+6! Argh!

Can they even do that?

Ollibobs Tue 02-Oct-12 22:17:36

Opps! I'm 10+6...

Ollibobs Tue 02-Oct-12 22:20:38

Also Dandelion75, how could your dates be changing? I thought with IVF (which I just had too) that as you know pretty much the 12-hour period when the eggs fertilize that your EDD was basically written in stone... Did your MW elaborate on how this was possible? I just don't get it... confused

Teapig Tue 02-Oct-12 22:36:56

Thinking of you mama and aufaniae x

Ollibobs I can't believe they have booked you in that late, how completely ridicolous. I'm sure they will change it when you speak to them but how frustrating.

Sneezy I am salivating over the thought of baked camembert, is it really true it's allowed? I am beside myself with excitement!

Just seen a facebook announcement for an early April baby, ooh could it be one of you lovely ladies?

11+0 feels like a milestone

usernamegoeshere Tue 02-Oct-12 22:41:55

This thread has been super busy in my absence - congratulations on all the good news & Mama, I think you are being very brave, am sure will be fine.

I have scan tomorrow, its a private one as I wasn't able to find a time with NHS where they were free + I was in the country till end of Oct. I haven't really been thinking about pregnancy much recently, I don't feel like I am... & am expecting to be told I had a missed miscarriage. Sorry if it sounds negative, but I just don't feel pregnant now so mentally preparing for that tomorrow. I feel a bit guilty as my best friend is coming with me, & she is super excited too.

I did use an iPhone Doppler app, but that was just for fun/curiosity, I'm a bit of a sceptic. I found the heartbeat in 2 different places, so I think it just picks up random background noises & makes them sound like heartbeats!!

12+0 today!

bunnygirl80 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:42:30

ollibobs if I were you I'd kick up an almighty fuss over your scan date. I'd ask to speak to the supervisor of midwives and the head of the scanning department, and if they don't sort it, I'd complain.

As for dandelions edd changing, I was told measurements from scans are only accurate to within 5 days at this stage. My obstetrician doesn't worry about changing the date, unless there's more than a 5 day difference between what scan says and what we thought. A measurement error of even a fraction of a millimeter will change the date, or dandelion could just be growing a bigger than average baby grin. I suppose the issue is whether you accept the revised edd, or insist on going with when you know conception occurred.

aufaniae Tue 02-Oct-12 22:43:25

Ollibobs could you try ringing the hospital to see if you could get the date changed?

My scan date was later than I was comfortable with, and I managed to get it changed by calling the sonography department direct (the number was on the scan letter).

Failing that, is private an option? IIRC 14+6 is too late for a reliable nuchal measurement, isn't it?

aufaniae Tue 02-Oct-12 22:44:39

Cross posts!

I agree with bunnygirl, time to kick up an almighty fuss! We're all behind you smile

aufaniae Tue 02-Oct-12 23:08:02

steph I expect you're right, they'll probably contact me if something's wrong. I think perhaps the people I spoke to today just didn't really know when/how the results are sent.

somewherebecomingrain thanks, that's reassuring smile

Can't afford a private scan unfortunately just got to wait it out, but I'll be on the phone to them to try to get the results asap!

Cadmum The sonographer was quite cagey I thought, I have no idea if that was just what she's like or if she was avoiding the subject for a reason <paranoid>
I did say I was worried about the results and she just said I'd have to wait for the results after the blood test. She didn't volunteer the information on the nuchal measurement, I saw it on the form she wrote to be sent off with the bloods. She said nothing about the nasal bone, I'm kicking myself that I forgot to ask. A completely different experience to my last scan, where they told me the nuchal measurement and pointed out the nasal bone. I've been trying to see it on the scan pictures but don't really know what it should look like!

leluella good advice, thanks smile

Thanks people for well wishes, and putting up with my worries, I am probably just being a worrywart. Just want to get this bit over with.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 03-Oct-12 06:30:33

Ollibobs - same here with scan dates. Having my booking in at 12 weeks and was told they'll do the scan 3-4 weeks after that! No free appointments or some such!

I've booked one privately instead.

SneezySnatcher Wed 03-Oct-12 07:43:51

Teapig yes it's true! As long as the 'bad' cheeses are heated to steaming all the way through they are fine. I cooked it for longer than I usually would, so it was bubbling hot.
I just can't believe I went nine months without it last time! I'm tempted to have another today!

"Thorough cooking should kill any bacteria, so it should be safe to eat cooked soft cheeses or dishes that contain them, such as baked brie or deep-fried camembert. Hard blue cheeses such as stilton are safe to eat without cooking." (from NHS site)

somewherebecomingrain Wed 03-Oct-12 08:31:33

omg baked camembert - i'm there.
french stick, red onion relish... mmmm.

good luck aufaniae there are so many women who go through this worry for nothing
xx

shomes Wed 03-Oct-12 08:40:05

Hello all thanks for the link to new thread! Can almost not believe its 14 weeks on friday!!

Are any of you second time mums feeling movement yet at 14 weeks?

Mama1980 Wed 03-Oct-12 08:45:01

Morning all good luck everyone for scans and test results -sorry cant see everyone's names on iPad.
I will be 14 weeks on Friday and have been feeling something, not strong enough to be certain movement but kind of like a popping sensation. I also have a definite bump now which is lovely.
Will hopefully be updating from my own sofa later - am in my wheelchair already awaiting my brothers to come get me- I haven't told my dd I will be home when she gets back from school I can't wait to see her face grin

HaveALittleFaith Wed 03-Oct-12 09:06:04

Oh wonderful Mama! What a brilliant surprise for her grin

Giddypants Wed 03-Oct-12 09:13:37

Good news about going home mama bet you can't wait, just take it easy!

aufaniae I know it's difficult but try not to worry, I was told that the measurement was 3.0 before they would consider it a problem, but push for the blood results.

My back is playing up again, my left leg is numb, I hope it wears off soon, DS has an appointment at 1 I can't go in hobbling like the hunch-back of Norte damme! grin

As of yesterday I've been feeling a few flutters, more today but I was running around at work yesterday so didn't really get chance to sit and listen.
I think I felt DS at around 14 weeks which by my dates I am 14 weeks today, (14+4 by scan) need to ring today to book my 20 week scan, a girl at work has just had hers it looks amazing!
Had a quick chat with an obs dr who popped on yesterday and asked her about the notch, she said its not really anything to worry about and i will be monitored much more anyway, so trying to put my mind at rest and chill a little bit.

aufaniae Wed 03-Oct-12 09:33:13

Yay mama fantastic you're going home smile

JessieEssex Wed 03-Oct-12 10:20:56

Aaaarrrrgh I'm feeling so sick today - how is that possible? I've been fine for about 10 days and it's back. Grrrrrrr.

But on the plus side, I'm definitely feeling movement, it's lovely. Just a couple of twitches a day, but there's no mistaking it. I think I first felt DD at about 18 weeks, but everyone says you feel it earlier the second time.

Great news that you're off home mama

14+3

JessieEssex Wed 03-Oct-12 10:22:27

Oooo! Just as I pressed 'post message', I felt a little thump. 'Oi, are you talking about me?!' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now