Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - but that's the month after next

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Sun 16-Sep-12 06:33:02
ValiumQueen Thu 27-Sep-12 06:55:39

Just one more.

ValiumQueen Thu 27-Sep-12 06:55:25

Nearly full.

ValiumQueen Thu 27-Sep-12 06:55:11

Gonna fill this.

ValiumQueen Thu 27-Sep-12 06:54:47

rowing I was up but could not get to my iPad. DD2 is a bit unsettled. I think it might be her sore bits so off to dr today. She was up again at 5.30, so I am extra tired. She had just dropped up then daddy got up and she wanted to go downstairs. You would think he would take her, but no, mummy had to as he had things to do. Grr!

I have always had an emergency carton of formula, but never used it. I found it very comforting in the first days when it is wise to just think of it as 'one feed at a time' and 'you do not have to do it, but want to'.

rowingdowntheriver Thu 27-Sep-12 02:57:52

Anyone else awake?!

It's a bit late but congratulations daisy.

I hope those of you with unpleasant pregnancy side effects are doing ok. Glad to read all the recommendations from people to go get symptoms checked out.

Someone mentioned that they had packed a huge hospital bag. I packed a large suitcase and an overnight bag that last time blush. After labour then EMCS I couldn't reach it, open it or face wading through all the unnecessary stuff in it so didn't even make use of the essentials in it! I had followed the advice of our nct teacher and packed everything on a list she gave us (except a bucket which apparently was to sit on during labour?!)

Have been shopping with my mum today and done first bits of proper baby purchasing. She got us a baby bjorn (as we borrowed a friends for DS1 but have had to return it for them to use again), a cute babygro to where on day 1 and a nappy box for all the nappy changing kit we'll keep downstairs as am not traipsing up and downstairs each time this one needs changing.

A friend brought me over a pile of leftover (unused!) breast pads, and a maternity sheet for the bed incase of waters breaking during the night. I've also bought a pile of maternity towels from sainsbos as well as a second hand p&t's which is now hoovered and washed and looks as good as new.

Just a new Moses basket mattress, some more bedding and some emergency formula (in case breast feeding doesn't work) then think I'm done on the buying front.

TheDetective Thu 27-Sep-12 00:53:00

Had a very productive but exhausting day! It is just all so much of an effort these days!

My fanjo feels like I've been on a bike ride. I have been nowhere near a bike since I was 11. Started when I tried to put a boxed shelving unit in the car, struggling, while big strapping blokes looked on angry

Our entire town is waterlogged. Routes in and out are flooded, the only route which isn't, happens to be my road - there is a diversion set up right down my road! I discovered this as I nipped downstairs this morning, with the blinds open, in full pregnant body butt naked glory . You ain't ever seen a pregnant woman move so fast grin. Sure someone got a fright!

It took DP 1 1/2 hours to go to work this morning, a 2.5 mile journey. I have no idea why he sat in the car all that time, and didn't just WALK!! I'm very glad I had no school run to do, as DS was at his dads last night!

I think John Lewis has got me well and truly sucked in! I spent a good hour just buying things I wanted, not things I needed! Because I could, and they just made it so easy! I now have my sheep skin liner, was £50, but is gorgeous! Soft and cosy! I'm never going in there again! That shopping experience was just too good, a little addictive if I'm honest!

Baby will be in the moses basket in our room, as long as we can manage. We don't have space for anything other than basket squished between bed and wardrobe. After that it will be in its own room, although I am reluctant to do so - for ease of feeding more than anything! Although I am prepared for doing whatever is required for an easier life on this front! I'll buy a baby nest for the bed if I need to. I don't think the baby will wake DP, but he can have the sofa if he needs to! Our sofa is pretty comfy, and he can sleep on a washing line, so he doesn't object. We don't have anywhere for a spare bed.

I'm gonna wing it to be honest!

GTbaby Wed 26-Sep-12 23:42:27

text him a cab number! and then go to sleep and put ur phone on silent.

MissMummy1 Wed 26-Sep-12 23:15:08

So my prat of a man has got himself stranded on the wrong side of the city from his course tonight after having dinner and wine with SIL and missing his last train back.... Seriously, the words piss up and brewery come to mind!

GTbaby Wed 26-Sep-12 22:49:26

Come on. Need to finish this thread. Keeping up with the kardashians. N kourtney is looking into water births. Very interesting.

GTbaby Wed 26-Sep-12 22:37:08

Results! Toe nails cut. Difficult n squished fraggle but managed it grin

GTbaby Wed 26-Sep-12 22:31:14

yellow I have been thinking about different sleeping areas just to get baby used to it. My nephew suffered night terrors, n they think the birth of nephew number two may have triggered it. Or rather the waking up somewhere different ( and he was taken to grand parents in middle of the night) after two yrs of every sleep in same cot in same room.
Never know what emergency could come up n wud have to leave baby with someone else, do want to be able to leave baby with close family n be confident that they are happy.

Right going to TRY n cut my toe nails blush going for a pedicure tomorrow as a treat, but they never cut nails short enough!

NervousAt20 Wed 26-Sep-12 22:19:23

Sounds like valium might have a trip to sainsburys on the horizon grin

YellowWellies Wed 26-Sep-12 22:07:46

DMIL is a fan of crying it out from day one. I did point out that if we did that then BF would fail as in the first few weeks I'd need to feed during the night to build up supply.... this seemed to be an acceptable loss to her shock. Happy Mum / Happy Baby is fine but only to a point - if I were to follow that dictum to it's logical extension I'd be on marlboro lights and sauvignon blanc by the vat full right now! And methinks that would probably not lead to a happy baby - rather to a Jeremy Kyle episode.

MM I'm glad your DH took your advice and got a moses basket. I'm thinking of letting the wee one nap in our pushchair carrycot too - so that they don't get set on only sleeping in one place IYSWIM?

Hahah what am I saying, I bet the only place they'll sleep is on one of us for the first few weeks.....

I would just sooooo love to get some decent sleep in between now and then.

horseylady Wed 26-Sep-12 22:07:46

Hat and mits bought along with three more sleep suits!!

Seem to be going into hospital with a fair amount of stuff but hey!! Better over than under prepared!? Just need to pack towels? I still don't see why I should take them in? The hospital has loads of towels. In fact I might not pack any. If I want one dh can bring one. Same with the pillow. Hopefully well not be in long.

I'm considering not going into work tomorrow. Only because I can not be bothered and have a cold coming.

I'll go in. I don't really do sickness absence but I can't be bothered !! Think I've just enjoyed pottering today lol!! Two weeks left smile

I also need waterproof matress covers!!

Oh and my pram arrived in store today!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

StuntNun Wed 26-Sep-12 22:00:00

Don't forget the new thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1573396-November-2012-counting-down-the-weeks

I have a mountain of ironing to do and no DH here to do it for me. Sigh. It'll be sore hips again tomorrow. sad I took the boys swimming this afternoon and now I'm exhausted. I didn't even do any swimming as DS2 needs to be closely supervised. At least I'll get a break after the baby's born, maybe six weeks before I'll be able to take them swimming again.

GTbaby Wed 26-Sep-12 21:31:12

I put all my stuff in my suitcase! Got few things to get, nightie, bras, knickers , fluffy socks.

And have decided I want new born clothes size for hospital. ( got given a few 0-3 months) as I want first few pics of baby in clothes that fit, n show how small he is, but not that he is drowned in. So going to buy one of those starter sets. In white. N then when he is born DH can go out to buy blue clothes. ( we have told noone we know sex, living with pil not taking chances with them seeing blue clothes). And DH is refusing to buy blue clothes Incase it's wrong!

Thank u for tips on a jug to clean bits with, will do this at home. N was wondering is baby wipes wud be ok! If good enough for baby surely ok for me! So will get a small ok for when I'm out.

Thank u to those who have reassured me that tesco pads will be ok! Lol. Considering u have to change them so often maybe 30 is not enough? Hmmmm

ValiumQueen Wed 26-Sep-12 21:06:51

Ooh nervous. I have £45 of nectar points to spend grin

ValiumQueen Wed 26-Sep-12 21:05:53

With the SIDS stuff, it is a mixed approach. Dummies, for instance are meant to help reduce risk, but that is a very personal choice too. Sadly even people who follow all the advice to the letter still lose their precious ones. I pray none of us have to go through that nightmare.

NervousAt20 Wed 26-Sep-12 21:03:19

Sainsburys have a baby event starting tomorrow

ValiumQueen Wed 26-Sep-12 21:02:52

X-post pass Wise words.

ValiumQueen Wed 26-Sep-12 21:00:53

Space is an issue for us here, but wasn't in our old house. Both slept through from 6 and 7 weeks, but I did not let them cry it out. They were both big babies, and liked my gold top milk. DH has sleep apnoea. I wasn't getting any sleep at all, and it was making me ill. I have an angelcare movement monitor, and know it works. I have it on for nap times too, and it is nap times that always make me wonder about the 'sleeping with someone for six months' advice. Are we meant to be with them 24/7? I love my kids obviously, but after having the little parasites draining your energy and preventing your sleep for months, I am looking forward to putting a bit of distance between us! (says she who sleeps with the monitor glued to her ear still!)

Passmethecrisps Wed 26-Sep-12 21:00:26

Good old MIL!

mm I was also wondering about doing that: we are getting the uppababy so the carrycot is suitable for overnight. I want to have a variety just in case baby has a preferance.

vq I thought long and hard about putting baby in the cotbed from day 1 and still wouldn't discount it. There is no firm evidence about the SIDS link but compelling anecdotal evidence. It is known the prevent bit they don't actually know why. The breathing is the most likely link but still not proven fact. Basically, if we are all happy snuggled together then grand. If not then it'll be own bedroom. I told a colleague we were still deciding about sleeping arrangements and he told me that 'it was the rules' that baby had to sleep in the same room. I made the point that it was advice just like breastfeeding and everyone had to work out what was right for their family.

Sophiathesnowfairy Wed 26-Sep-12 20:52:50

passme I did the Moses basket in the cot thing for all three of mine and works a treat.

I have found that I keep them in with me forthe first 2 to 3 months and then move then into their own room and that's always coincided with them dropping the real middle of the night feed, so I move to getting them up for milk and the ten o clock news bak to bed and that's it till six to seven, obviously with a little more jiggery pokery than that but that is it basically

Maternity reflexology this evening have had to come straight to bed am so chilled.

MissMummy1 Wed 26-Sep-12 20:51:36

Nervous my dog loves baths too much - so I also hate bathing him but for all the opposite reasons! I use a dry doggy shampoo powder on him that you puff over their coat then brush out. Works wonders and you don't end up with the yucky damp dog smell afterwords!

As for sleeping arrangements. Some arsehole 'helpful individual' at DHs work told him the baby should be in their own room from day 1 and left to "cry it out" if we want one that sleeps through the night. I was horrified, DH thought this was normal. After a massive lecture from me, my mum and his mum he's now realised that prat had no idea and he actually went out and bought us a moses basket! (I'd planned just to have the cotbed in our room initially). We have a big spare room though at the opposite end of the house and because he works such long hours offshore or does nights we often opt to sleep in separate rooms anyway if my restlessness/his snoring is keeping one or the other of us awake. I want junior in with us until 6 months. Maybe using the nursery for daytime naps earlier on.

What are people's opinions on using the carrycot from a pram for naps downstairs during the day?

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Wed 26-Sep-12 20:50:15

No VQ, that would be my preference but we don't have the space! I totally agree, do the research, consider the advice, make the decision that works best for you, your DC and your family. Confidence in own decisions is important, and what I am looking forward to with this DC - first time around there was a lot of angst for me.

This thread is not accepting new messages.