Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - but that's the month after next

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Sun 16-Sep-12 06:33:02
MissMummy1 Mon 17-Sep-12 13:11:40

Nervous we decided against a nursing chair and have 'upcycled' an IKEA poang chair. They're not great for getting out of, but when I injured my back a couple of years ago it was the only seat I could sit in comfortably. Plus it's light enough to move between rooms and it can go back to being a 'normal' chair after we've finished using it in the nursery. ignores fact it is currently sitting in our bedroom with a pile of clothes on it

MissMummy1 Mon 17-Sep-12 13:16:38

Stunt can you just get a different base? We haven't decided on one yet but there are a few options from what I can see.

What kind of car do you have? I have a citroen xsara (trying to convince DH to adopt it as his run around for work and let me have the new one) and we're on the look out for a replacement second car after the departure of the landrover happens (blub). Although in theory, the new car will become our main car - if that makes sense?

Anyway, suggestions for a baby-friendly, economical (preferably diesel so we can run it on used cooking oil blush) car that's big enough to lug around all of our dive kit baby things?

YellowWellies Mon 17-Sep-12 13:25:43

We've got a Ford Fusion diesel MM1 - it fits the bill perfectly - has a massive boot (estate sized) - you saw what we travelled home from Fife with when we did our big baby shop (two cots, one mattress, tent, airbed, changing mat, pushchair, carrycot, travel seat, two suitcases, three massive ikea bags of baby clothes etc etc). It's so fuel efficient you only pay £30 road tax a year. We're getting nearly 500 miles to the tank!!!!! DH really recommends it. It doesn't have isofix points though but you can still use carseats and bases.

Shelly wah if you think the infection has gone to your kidneys - get on the phone to the docs - that is a really big prem labour risk hon.

Grrr I still think junior might be transverse as they are fitting really uncomfortably across me. Went for a long walk at lunch to try to move his / her nibs back to head down, but am not sure they have. Damn irritable uterus / rock hard bump means I can't palpatate where their spine is. Will have to wait for some kicks. They are lovely and wriggly at the moment. DH was laughing at my belly yesterday as it had a life of it's own - I'm going to miss my bump!

Swiss after my sisters' first who was a god awful sleeper she was a bit meaner with her prem - she went into a static cot (well bed nest) from day one (to get her used to self soothing without being rocked) and to comfort her she got her a dex heartbeat bear (have a look on ebay) they attach to the cotside and play womb noises (the woosh of the placenta and sound of the maternal heartbeat) and her wee girl sleeps like a dream (other than when she is having awful reflux moments which is unavoidable given how early she arrived). Perhaps a cheaper option than a hammock?

kissyfur Mon 17-Sep-12 13:31:38

shelley could it be your thyroid? Sounds a lot like what happened to me when I was over medicated? Hope you feel better soon.

cacacaz good for your DH for sticking up for you in front of the in laws, I feel exactly the same about people who think breastfeeding is something to be ashamed of, makes me v angry

I had to do a sickie today as got the date my DPs parents are back from their holiday in oz wrong, and they usually look after DD on a Monday. Not that I minded not going to work!

DP has nearly finished painting our room now so hopefully tonight will be our last night 'camping out' in the front room! Looking forward to having my bed back smile

MissMummy1 Mon 17-Sep-12 13:37:23

YW I was seriously impressed with your car and the amount you guys had managed to squeeze into it! That said as well though, I moved house a few times in my old peugeot 206 and did a mammoth aberdeen-cornwall drive with 3 burly blokes, enough camping kit for the 4 of us for a week, a couple of surfboards on the roof and all the wet gear 4 people could ever need. And I don't travel lightly.. ever. Apart from being £240 a year to tax, it ran on completely used cooking oil and did 600+ miles on one tank (my best effort was 750 I think). The car didn't owe me any money after 2 years of my abuse and probably saved me thousands in fuel. It was also a deathtrap though and eventually blew up sad. DH has a thing against fords - maybe if I remind him they are now owned by the same company as landrover he could be convinced?? grin

ShellyBobbs Mon 17-Sep-12 13:49:24

YW Hospital suggested the spreading to kidneys to me, cervix is firmly shut smile

Kissy No, defo not the meds, my range hasn't moved at all during pregnancy and is regularly monitored.

Am feeling a bit better now. Am currently in the bath having just watched Shameless on 4OD (in the bath no less!) and will have a bit of a read on my kindle before I get out. Maybe a little bit of a potter to get some fresh air. Can't keep off the toilet after drinking my own body weight in water today, but will do so again and again now, think these new anti-biotics are finally kicking in. Thanks for listening to all my whinge arseing over the last few days, but fingers crossed that I can finally see the light.

Also work phoned me and my boss actually said to me, 'doesn't look like you'll be back now does it', then in the next breath, 'when do you think you'll be back' shock - fuck knows love, next year some time..........

Anyway grin grin grin because I can grin

ShellyBobbs Mon 17-Sep-12 13:52:21

MM I've blown a car up too, right at the traffic lights at the roundabout of a motorway! My favourite ever car was my old Ford Mondeo, my god did I drive that into the road, I absolutely refused to get rid of it until it finally died on the drive - I loved it so much, it was like my own lovely little tank grin The kids couldn't watch when the scrap man came for it.

ShellyBobbs Mon 17-Sep-12 13:55:50

I also used to have a Peugeot, I loathed everything about it damn thing and got rid of it after 6 months. I used to set off for work before hubby some mornings, and those days I used to nick his so he had to drive it, I preferred his crappy P reg Astra to that horrid thing, and nothing worked in his Astra, even the window wipers grin

had midwife appointment this morning, wasn't my usual midwife as she was on holiday. Bump measured 29 cms, which means it only grew 1 cm since 28 weeks when I measured 28 cms. Is that an excuse to start scoffing yummie things? wink Baby is apparently head down, I couldn't figure it out myself and pushing nicely on my bladder (noticed that). Blood results were fine and urine this time as well! smile
Seeing them again in 3 weeks. I asked about the home birth and midwife said shouldn't be a problem grin as long as consultant signs me over to them after next check up!

SwissArmyWife Mon 17-Sep-12 14:04:03

YW I had a slumber bear for DD that had womb/heartbeat/ocean sounds etc, but it didn't work sad I know every baby is different and if I'm honest I think DD was just a particularly awful bad sleeper and am hoping that if I prepare myself for that all over again I may be pleasantly surprised... I would like a baby that I can just pop in the Moses basket and have them sleep there for more than ten minutes - maybe I'll wait until he's here before getting a hammock so I can determine wether it would be a good investment or not. He might be a brilliant sleeper please please please and I know I'll be more relaxed this time round but still feel a little worried about it!

YellowWellies Mon 17-Sep-12 14:17:05

Swiss I wonder if your DD had mild dairy intolerance - (apparently lots of British babies do, someat to do with Viking genes, and it often resolves by the time they are toddlers) it turns out that it's quite likely my nephew did and this explained his god awful sleeping. He had mild night reflux and stomach ache. He couldn't settle likely because his tum hurt.

If you are BFing try cutting out dairy and see what happens if this one struggles to sleep (if bottle feeding try looking at one not made from cow's milk). Now my sis has cut it out of her own diet (she BFs) - no problems at all. The slightest hint (from products which label as 'may' contain dairy) and she has 3-4 night wakings to contend with and a totally unsettlable baby. Did your DD 'cry up' rather than 'cry down'? that's a classic sign apparently. She has also lost 2 stone since the birth due to BF and a dairy free diet. She would however kill for a dairy millk.

VQ and other cloth nappy users Zulily is doing a Charlie Banana sale and with the code mumsnet20, you get an extra 20% off... my hand is hovering over the buy now box, not sure whether to ask DH for permission first wink

YellowWellies Mon 17-Sep-12 14:19:06

Also with dairy intolerance - the pains are worse when they are lying down (and can be made worse when rocked as it forces lots of reflux posset up their throats and burns them so if intolerance avoid a hammock or cradle) - so whilst lots of MIL would dismiss babies falling asleep on you as 'spoiling them' - there could be a genuine reason (beyond simple emotional comfort) as to why some hate being laid on their backs.

horseylady Mon 17-Sep-12 14:23:17

Just eaten pizza.

I was very refrained and stopped as I know I'd spend the rest of the day regretting it!!! Dh has a focus, I have a Santa fe. I love my car, a shame it gets so trashed but it's brill!! I need to clean it before the baby arrives!!

I've got no idea how baby is lying he constantly shifts. I think he's currently transverse or still oblique and very forward. My bump feels huge sad he has removed his feet from my ribs (yw prob what you were feeling really hurts!!) but they do still find their way under there!!

Mw wed will see what she says. Yoga tonight!!

Tiago Mon 17-Sep-12 14:26:31

Marking place on this thread (been absent for a while). Off on maternity leave at the end of the week.

Tiago Mon 17-Sep-12 14:27:05

Also loving having little feet in my ribs!

kissyfur Mon 17-Sep-12 14:36:28

Think I might invest in a slumber bear for this LO, they get v good reviews. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you tho swiss

Lane81 Mon 17-Sep-12 14:43:24

I'm another one suffering insomnia, and I can usually sleep anywhere anytime. I'm awake from 3-6 every night, am hoping that this doesn't mean the baby will follow these sleep patterns when she arrives smile I cannot find a reason for it and nothing seems to help. Was very temped to call in sick today too, as exhausted, but only 14 working days left so going to struggle on.

Need some advice.. DD1 will be 4 on 31st October, during half term... when I will be 38 weeks pregnant, so I would like to do a soft play party, which means not a lot to organise on the day for me (unlike last year when I did it all myself in the parish centre) Do I hold the party on her actual birthday? which is Wednesday, or the weekend before or weekend after? Will people forget it is on during half term?

TheDetective Mon 17-Sep-12 14:58:38

Thanks ladies. We've had 'words' since I got up at 11 (nights tonight!) and I heard him polishing and cleaning at 9am this morning after he had taken DS to school.

Hopefully he has realised that he has to pull his weight. We shall see. I work more hours, and am pregnant, so IMO he damn well should be doing more than his fair share! And I'm on nights for next 4 weeks now!! So he will have no choice really...

Horsey he didn't break the glass, just punched it as I shut the door. Fecking idiot.

TheDetective Mon 17-Sep-12 15:02:33

When I say I work more hours, mine are full time. His are 19.5 some weeks he gets extra hours. On average he probably does 25 hours. Rarely he gets anything full time. All the way through this pregnancy he has had his basic hours more times than not.

MissMummy1 Mon 17-Sep-12 15:08:27

Haha Shelly - mine blew up on the outside lane of a major motorway through Dundee, during rushhour, and shut the whole road for 3 hours. When the police arrived I was standing at the side of the road throwing up (ms) - not one of my finest moments! I think they thought I was pissed. I drove my mum's new corsa for a few months and loved it. They're just not big enough for what we need. The citroen's not glamorous, but it does the job so we might keep that and get a really cheap runaround for him. Trying not to spend a lot of money just now so we can save as much as possible in case junior makes an appearance before I've worked long enough to qualify for SMA....

SwissArmyWife Mon 17-Sep-12 15:31:10

YW I tried everything with her - lying propped up in case she had reflux, dairy free formula as I thought she might have an intolerance, (bf had failed by this point unfortunately) different routines, different sized teats on her bottles, music, white noise, utter silence, rocking, not rocking, I even had a sleep rocker platform to put the moses basket on! None of it made any difference. Refused to do CC or anything like that though as I'm too soft. In the end a combination of co sleeping, infacol and my beloved Moby wrap sling seemed to be the only things that mildly improved her sleeping.
I don't know if it was much to do with it but when I moved last December and put her in her own room she got a little better,and these days she sleeps through 8 out of 10 nights and has recently decided not to nap during the day anymore, but I will never know why she never slept well!

Will definitely be keeping it all in mind for this one though, and do plan on bf so the dairy intolerance is a good point. Also people always say the second is easier, right?!

ShellyBobbs Mon 17-Sep-12 15:44:09

Lol MM what a day that must have been, sorry but I did laugh at you throwing up whilst the whole road was shut because of you grin

I've now got an Astra, not the P reg I hasten't to add, that also went to the scrap man. I luv it, I like Vauxhalls but would still love my Mondeo back sad I just like to drive older cars and feel the mechanics, I just feel safer in them and if anything goes wrong then someone knows how to fix them as men generally are tinkers. We picked up a Zafira for £800 the other week, we'll need it for the 4 nippers, but we are going to get a newer van and do it up with seats and so we have room for all the camping stuff so we can do a few Europe trips again next year.

That's another story, drove to Italy one year when youngest was 3, camped all the way there, fantastic for the kids, saw loads of countries, then once we got to North Italy and had a full day at the leaning tower of Pisa we got in the car ready for a good old drive. Got on the motorway there then BANG, engine blew up (newer model Mondeo). Italian police came and bollocked us and we had to be towed to a garage blush Car was a write off, we had to continue to south Italy on trains and buses and then fly home. Planes, trains and automobiles us you know grin Still, the kids remember that holiday well......

horseylady Mon 17-Sep-12 15:44:34

Unless your my in laws where the first was always much easier than the 2nd......The first is always a boy too lol!!

Detective pleased I'd read that incorrectly!!! Men are idiots but glad he's helping out more. I do more than he does. Seems to be the norm!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.