Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Due in October 2012 Part 7 - towards the finish line, going for Gold!

(1000 Posts)
Planktonette Thu 30-Aug-12 20:39:06

On your marks...
Get set...

GO!

hufflepuffle Thu 27-Sep-12 16:26:38

Did I say I was finishing tmrw?? My locum replacement has taken ill with possible plerisy, not quite sure what is going on, lots of tests. I think I am going to have a panic attack

crazypaving Thu 27-Sep-12 16:25:24

Yomping I am the queen of aching fanjos. Mine's been aching the whole way through though. And yes, that sounds like a BH. Feel your bump when it happens - some/all of it should go rock solid.

Fjord prob should get your wrist checked too!! Poor you sad

FjordMor Thu 27-Sep-12 16:19:50

Grrr I guess you're right. No NHS direct here unfortunately and midwife only works until 2 or 3pm. My best option is calling the maternity unit. I guess I could go in for some monitoring. I guess they can't make me stay in if I'm not having contractions & baby's ok. Sorry, must sound really selfish & weird and should be just thinking about the baby but they did threaten to bring me forward to the end of this week and I'm so set on Monday now & my hospital bag isn't even packed!

YompingJo Thu 27-Sep-12 16:18:36

Squid, it could be worse, you could have the aching fanjo of doom!

(still only me with this then?)

It might not feel like it, but there has only been one baby born so far on this thread who came early - the rest have been scheduled dates for induction or ELCS. Mine will certainly not be early - my initial due date was 19th October so if that proves to be more accurate and I go 2 weeks over that then I'm looking at another 5 weeks yet shock. Baby might be too big to even be born by then!

Having such a lazy day - slept right the way through the night, woke up, had 2 cups of tea and lazy sex, dozed for another hour, went for walk in forest and nice pub lunch with DH and talked about how much we are looking forward to meeting our baby (any time you want, baby, hint hint!).

Don't think baby is wanting to arrive any time soon though. Can't work out what position it's in at teh moment but certainly not the right one and not engaged. Haven't had any BH... unless... keep getting this weird feeling - like my lungs (or maybe some other internal organ) are being squeezed. It comes on gradually, not like a kick or anything, and I feel sort of mildly panicked and butterflies-y, like my heart rate has sped up, but it hasn't, and breathing gets slightly harder for a few seconds, then it fades away. Is that BH or just some other weirdness or maybe the baby pushing against something vital inside me?

Londonmrss Thu 27-Sep-12 16:14:29
Londonmrss Thu 27-Sep-12 16:09:34

Fjord, I would go in and get monitored. Of course everything will be fine. When I fell a few weeks ago, I went in. Not because I seriously thought anything would be wrong, but I knew that if baby then had a few quiet hours in the following days, I would worry so thought I'd go in and spare myself the panic. Make sure you elevate the wrist and apply ice.
Squid, sympathies. Please try and relax. Trust your body- things have been happening with you for a while now, so trust that your body knows what to do and will bring your baby when the time is right. As medical professionals still don't know what initiates labour in the body, just assume your body knows what to do.
Please remind me of this advice when I start being impatient and grumpy in 4 weeks.
Still pissed off with Mamas and Papas. They still can't give a date that the car seat I ordered and paid for 6 months ago will be ready. Incompetent nobbers.

londonlivvy Thu 27-Sep-12 16:05:24

Fjord I would imagine the baby is absolutely fine but I would go and get checked out, just to be on the safe side. Sorry - I know you'd rather not spend more time in hospital, but I would make a call at least, as Planktonette suggests, to see what medics say.

Planktonette Thu 27-Sep-12 16:01:54

fjord! Cross posted you. Can you call the midwife? (and is there an equivalent of NHS direct in your part of the world?)

FjordMor Thu 27-Sep-12 16:00:51

She's kicking away now. Worried wrist might be fractured though as right hand swelling up. How convenient a few days before baby-holding commences :-(.

Planktonette Thu 27-Sep-12 15:59:39

Btw - I clean forgot to hire a tens machine. Some of them (at lloyds pharmacy) look unbelievably cheap, like £10 cheap - are they rubbish? Does anyone have a brand/product recommendation?

Planktonette Thu 27-Sep-12 15:54:39

Oof, we are coming down to the wire again, aren't we? New thread coming up! Who will it be?

squid, like everyone else I think it's amazing that you're still doing so much stuff, but I can't help but wonder if exhaustion might be a factor affecting your mood? I imagine you're a bit like me - by inclination, I rest juuuuust enough that I can do the Next Important/Exciting Thing. Maybe some real rest - as in getting to the point where you're a bit rested, and then resting some more, might help get you stronger?

It took me the full nine months to work out that teetering on just-rested-enough was not actually optimal, so I'm wondering if maybe it might be worth considering for you too...

FjordMor Thu 27-Sep-12 15:46:43

Whoops! (Wrist) ...like with my GD, there will still be scope to be as active & natural as possible - just with extra monitoring. Thinking of you - not easy to deal with these extra stresses late on xxx

FjordMor Thu 27-Sep-12 15:45:09

Advice please - was just out & tripped over one of those circular plastic things that hold newspaper bundles together. Fell quite hard on my front - 2 badly grazed knees, probable sprained wrist & hit the bump on the ground. Bump doesn't hurt, just trying to feel her move (which she has been a little). Should I be more worried & go to hospital? I'm worried they'll keep me in & induce me tonight if I do & I don't want that sad. Should I assume all is ok if she's moving & no pain & bleeding? Wondering if the universe is cross with my zenness & sending me stuff to try me now sad!

MrsC - sorry to hear about your late diagnosis. It is difficult to adjust to these things late in in the pregnancy & re-frame your birth choices but hopefully, like

Beeblebear Thu 27-Sep-12 14:06:17

Drying feet... Pffft that is what the slippers are for getting out if the shower.

Socks, who needs em! I can just wear the slippers to work right? They will match perfectly with my tracky bottoms! I should probably think about packing up the 8 other pairs of shoes under my desk and bringing them home anyways.

10 more workung days left. Oh my better stop agreeing to take on new projects at this point.

Feeling a sliver of a bit more human today, so off to work I go. Blah, who said working to 39 weeks was a good idea? Oh right... Nobody, even I thought I was crazy when I signed up for this. Baby MUST NOT COME EARLY!

As always, enjoy reading up on everyones progress (or lack there if) offereing big hugs all around!

Lizzietow Thu 27-Sep-12 13:32:17

Poor you, squid! But rest assures you're doing really well and baby will come soon. Try and take this time to rest as much as poss as you'll need it!
I'm so ready for baby to come now!! Right now! I'm only 38 weeks though. But walking is so uncomfortable. This is my second and as my back was already a bit weakened after my first I've had a lot of lower back and groin ache this time, and at the moment it just feels as though everything is about to fall out!
And I can't put my socks in by myself angry

londonlivvy Thu 27-Sep-12 13:30:11

crazy cross posted.

Absolutely feel free on the tracky bottoms. Seems wise.

On the appointment thing, no idea. I think you can ask for a sweep but they seem to be even more laissez faire with second time mums.

londonlivvy Thu 27-Sep-12 13:29:08

Oh MrsC that does all sound exhausting and stressful, but you seem to be doing great with taking it on board and the medics are keeping you monitored, so that's great. Hard, though, I realise. Chin up. Oh and you still can move around a bit on a bed - so you could be on all fours on the bed if you want to, I reckon, even if you are being monitored. (disclaimer... just cos I've seen this on OBEM, this doesn't make it fact).

and Squid poor you! I empathise with the emotional roller coaster of pregnancy and I think the last couple of weeks of pregnancy must just be fairly rubbish, with just wanting it over! But well done you on making lots of plans and keeping active. Your little one will get here eventually, when she's ready. If you're desperate, you could try acupuncture? I'm told (anecdotally) it's very effective. I certainly think I'll be giving it a bash come 40 weeks if she's not arrived yet. Alternatively I'll just book a very expensive, non refundable hair appointment and that should do it.

ooh crazy good luck if this is the start.

Planktonette good skills on the name negotiations. Are you sure you haven't missed any out? Not sure it's long enough!

37, 35 weeks today!, DC1 and (after today) 9 DAYS LEFT AT WORK. HUZZAH.

crazypaving Thu 27-Sep-12 13:27:30

ok, to take my mind off the fact I'm really probably not in labour, 2 questions:

1. Am I being unreasonable to wear tracksuit bottoms at all times now? They're the only comfy thing I own!!! Waaahhh.

2. I saw the mw at 38wks, and she hasn't booked me in for another appt. Says to ring if I'm still pg at 41wks. Is that normal??? I was hoping for a sweep or something at 40wks if nothing's happened, or is that not usual?

hufflepuffle Thu 27-Sep-12 12:58:24

Squid ?? Big hugs you nobber. Xx xx (watch us all do the same....!)

crazypaving Thu 27-Sep-12 12:47:36

contractions are back shock

squidkid Thu 27-Sep-12 11:49:50

Hey there

Er... I am not that proud of myself but I basically had a massive "due date meltdown". After three days of really full-on signs everything completely stopped. The ironic thing is I've been telling people throughout the pregnancy that it's very common to go overdue and first time mums typically deliver just after 41 weeks, but for the last few weeks, so many people have been telling me "ooh squid you're so active, bet you'll come early" and I guess I started to believe it. Silly really. Couple that with the fact that my due date was the day so many new babies arrived on this forum - I was just so sad my baby isn't coming and felt like such a failure - I don't know. I was doing so well with the late pregnancy thing till then...

It was a horrible couple of days - weather didn't help - on my due date I went for this really long walk in the pouring rain and just cried for hours. Got home and have caught a cold and my pelvis was hurting. Cried on boyfriend for hours. I had a midwife appointment tuesday which was ok - no problems so I should be more grateful really shouldn't I! Bump hasn't grown in a few weeks but she wasn't worried. (I've lost weight too. And I have no stretch marks or swollen ankles and I'm not bigger anywhere else but bump. (Yet.) And I can walk 5 miles at 40 weeks. And I have no issues or risks with my pregnancy. So much to be grateful for!!!) She started talking about sweeps and inductions and I just - despaired. It's just policy but I so thought this would happen naturally, with how well and healthy I've been... I mean I have quite a bit of time yet - I am booked for my first sweep on tuesday 2nd oct, I'm going to try and get a couple more the week after that and I'm not even considering induction until I'm 42 weeks. Then I had the worst night's sleep ever - went to bed exhausted at 9pm but didn't even get 10 minutes. I called my dad at 5 - he's an early riser - and we had a chat for an hour or so, then I went back to bed till 7 but I didn't sleep then either. Boyfriend was up twice in the night with my crying. I just don't know what's happened to me...

Yesterday was mostly a turnaround though - I managed to get myself a pregnancy massage and burst into tears on the girl when I got there (I know her a bit, I've had 3 or 4 before). She was really supportive and sensible and encouraging and I felt loads better and that the baby will come when ready and it's still very likely to happen naturally. (And it's far more common to be overdue than on time!!) The massage itself was bliss, I drifted off (finally). She also (just for the hell of it) did some "acupressure" points on my feet that are supposed to help induce labour.

This morning I felt absolutely fine until I (god, the timing!) got a text from a girl I barely know from yoga saying her baby had arrived last night - she is due a week after me, so ANOTHER early baby. So I cried again!! Seriously where are all these early babies coming from, it's SOOO much more common to be overdue, this thread seems full of people who've had them too! So so jealous.

I am only 40+2 but I cannot BELIEVE how hard it has been past 39 weeks. I was totally cheery till then!!! Physically I am still fine but emotionally it's horrible. I know the odds are on my side that I will go into labour in the next two weeks at some point but each day is like a year now and I am losing faith my body will do it. People have started suggesting the things to me (sex, walking, raspberry leaf tea, spicy food) that I have been doing daily or near-daily for 2 months now, it's so demoralising.

Had nice day with my brother yesterday (he was off work) and been having coffee and chat with another friend this morning. I have an art exhibition to go to toinight, boyfriend is taking me out for a meal tomorrow, there is a lock-in festival in the pub next door saturday (puppetry and films and barbecue and bands) and I am going to go to the theatre sunday. Hope I don't get to next week - I guess I'll have to make more plans if I do. I haven't had any real pains or contractions since Sunday, though I am passing mucus plug most times I go to the loo.

This has been very long and very self-absorbed, I am so sorry! I have been reading on and off. Very pleased all births have gone well so far and thinking of those who haven't reported in yet. Love you guys, sorry for being a nobber.

hufflepuffle Thu 27-Sep-12 11:46:15

You made me giggle Crazy! Don't worry, I kno is not oxytocin...... Is the synthetic version of and I cud not think how to spell it at all..... Just know it begins with an S!!!! So I promise I will do my essay properly and research it first so as MW takes me seriously!!! Thank u for reminder!!

I wonder r u starting?? 1 wk ahead of me due wise, not a wiggle here!! People already asking..... "well??" oh bugger off.....
Erugh, Babba doing that weird vibraty thing..... Weird.

Ciao!

crazypaving Thu 27-Sep-12 11:16:36

Morning! I had a bit of a squid-style night last night - woken at 1.30am by a contraction. Continued to contract regularly until 5ish, then they suddenly petered out. I was convined that this was it, as that's exactly how things started with DS last time. Just goes to show, every pg & delivery is different. Have gone from "oh shiiiiiiiiiiiit I'm so not ready to have this baby" to feeling very deflated. I'm now getting very strong and regular BHs that are making it hard to breathe (squashing my lungs) but no more crampy feeling. But OMG I'm shattered. Thank God DS is at his childminder's today.

huffle don't write that you don't want oxytocin on your birthplan!! I think it's syntocinon to deliver the placenta. Oxytocin is the feel good whatsit that's released at times like bfing. I'm sure one of our doctors will let me know if I'm wrong there....

MrsC you poor thing sad It's fab that they've caught it and are monitoring it - hard to have all your best laid plans already go out the window though. Hope the time in between allows you to adjust - stay well and look after yourself.

kyyria yes, nobber, but I just don't think men get it. They just don't. I don't know why. It's cos they're nobbers, I suppose. I hope you get through to him somehow.

Planktonette happy due date! Looking at your name there, I think we need a few more middle names...grin

Liege how are you????

Hi to 2mb & lizzie

Beeble squeeeeeeeeeeeze those pelvic floor muscles!!! I had that issue in June with hayfever. I pulled a muscle under my ribs whilst simultaneously wetting myself very slightly whilst in a playground with DS - in my defence I sneezed violently 10 times in quick succession. Not my finest moment. I have since been doing pelvic floors religiously (um, sort of. And squeeze....)

Right, I need to make sure everything is perfectly ready just in case whilst not assuming that anything is going to happen for weeks....

38+4, 31, DC2

hufflepuffle Thu 27-Sep-12 10:21:19

Oh to be able to dry one's feet easily.... Do not need athletes foot along with everything else!!

Just noticing this is post 977!!! Will one of you clever girlies start a new post and link it in soon?? Don't ask me........ Not my forte at all!

Xx

hufflepuffle Thu 27-Sep-12 09:29:01

Aww bless MrsC you poor thing. Really living up to your name today! That is all a bit of a shock to the system indeed. Give yourself a while to gape open mouthed at the change and then just go with it. Sounds like a great medical team and all will work out. You can do it!! And won't it be nice really to meet bean early, all feeling a bit overcome by all these babies appearing! Good luck, take care of you and bean. X

Kyyria the whole name thing is a nightmare isn't it? My DH is actually the other end of spectrum to most as he hates his own name, has used a short version of his surname as name for years and feels an almighty burden to name child correctly!! With result it is an endless debate..... And I hav all these lovely names to choose.... Grrrrrr

Bella thank you, I know reality is often a shock. Try to believe everything the lovely voice on hypnotherapy CDs tells me..... But I know may not be the case!! That's why I'm going to hospital and not the lovely serene midwife only unit down the road. The unknown scares the crap out of me, but if relaxation and breathing Is the antidote to pain and panic then I hope it all helps, and we will go with the flow! Like you I will probably be so disappointed in self if does not go to plan, but I need a plan to visualise or I might just lose the plot visualising the alternative!!!

Nice names Planktonette.........! Glad to see your spirits up!! Happy due day! You never know......

Squid hope u ok if u reading, thinking of u x

Right. Up and at 'em. Half day off, house needs tidied, work by lunchtime.

This thread is not accepting new messages.