Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

shagged out viroids volume 5 - proving that JSing really does work!

(1000 Posts)
mandasand Thu 30-Aug-12 13:51:28

Hello and welcome to the shiny new thread for Just Shagging graduates! smile

[[www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1546396-Shagged-Out-Viroids-stats-thread Our stats thread is here.] (Awaiting more members with bated breath!)

We've just moved over from Shagged Out Viroids Volume 4 (And there's a prize for anyone who can enlighten us as to what a Viroid is!)

(If you want to find out what Just Shagging is about or catch up with the undergrads go say hello to the Just Shaggers here)

tiredteddy Fri 31-Aug-12 19:05:42

Right I'm not technical enough. If you search google images of "seljalandsfoss" that is the waterfall in Iceland where my sister just got married. It was beautiful and there was actually a rainbow across it from the spray!

mandasand Fri 31-Aug-12 19:29:34

Big cheery welcome, toffee! Scroll down for the link to the stats thread once you're ready to mark your place there!

And big YES for hitting the 6-week mark, frying! A good milestone. Now you can set your sights on 8 weeks.

Crikey, Tired, what a location! How did she set on Iceland? Superb and very original idea! (Or maybe she's married an Icelander?!)

Glad work's going well, Wing! Very funny about spotting your neighbour's details!!! And should I be thinking of registering myself with Surestart (not exactly sure what it is…) before babies arrive?!

I've been struggling with work all week but things have come together with the first half of one of my chapter today so that's good. And a mate came round with an amazing lemon cake she baked for me! Reeeally nice to share the twins news with her - and good to be social as I've been a bit of recluse these past weeks.

As I think I'm now in the 2nd trimester (or nearly anyway - 14 weeks next Tues?) I'm going to go to Mothercare tomorrow to get some bras and pants and leggings - yippee! Also B&Q for some paint so DH can get busy decorating whilst I write, hehe! (Got two-week extension on submitting my book - the relief ... but also the pressure!)

WingDefence Fri 31-Aug-12 19:29:56

Blimey Tired! How did they have a wedding there - it looks like it was in the middle of nowhere! grin Stunning scenery - I bet the official photos are going to look amAZing!

tiredteddy Fri 31-Aug-12 20:49:41

Yes it was the middle of no where! A hours coach from reykjavik to the hotel then 20 mins to waterfall. They got together whilst on a work trip to Iceland so it's sentimental that they got married there. Really amazing.

Yay for 2nd trimester manda I'm well into maternity clothes now. I mostly shop at H&M but got a really nice navy dress with caramel stripes from mothercare only £22 which is lush! Have fun shopping.

WingDefence Fri 31-Aug-12 21:36:05

Hmm, I am hoping to pick up some maternity clothes from my BF tomorrow at her DD's 4th birthday party. Which might be interesting since I've not told DH that I have told her I'm expecting yet grin She's the only one I've told out of my parents and netball captain but I'm sure DH won't mind if I 'told her tomorrow at the party'! Tee hee!

I've just sent my other bit of work off to the boss so that's me with my feet up now work-wise for a week. It's going to be MANIC once these consultations close though and I have to get the responses, collate and analyse them and then actually put through changes suggested, then take them to the big committees to discuss fight and agree or suggest yet more changes.

Sorry, I shouldn't be harping onto you lot about my work that you have no idea what it's about anyway blush

Oh and Manda I didn't register with the Sure Start centre in London with DS. I did go along to a few baby bounce & rhyme sessions at my local chilcdren's centre but actually I think this time round being sent info on what activities etc are on will make me go to more. And as I want to meet more mums up here outside of DS's preschool friends it will be fun. Oh, i forgot my neighbour there for a minute!! We live in a cul-de-sac (hate that term) of 11 houses and she's opposite and down two from me. It really was a lovely shock!

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sat 01-Sep-12 08:51:02

Wing I'd love someone on street to be due same time as me. Although a very close friend got her BFP the day before mine but also the same day she moved across the country sad. My BF is due in January!

Glad the wedding went well Teddy and welcome Toffee (congratulations also!)

Glad you've got some productive writing done Manda, I have almost finished a chapter of my thesis - fingers crossed for next week.

We have friends round atm who stayed with us last night and they have a 3 month DD, so going to get my fix of baby cuddles!!

tiredteddy Sat 01-Sep-12 09:10:41

Morning all!

Friends visiting and baby cuddles guinea that does sound nice.

We are off up to Milton Keynes today for our nephews 1st birthday so will be staying with the in-laws.

OMG you lot can talk! Had my cousin over for a few days so hadn't been around. Had a bit of a scare yesterday but all is well! Baby is measuring perfectly for dates at 14+3 just a tad small! baby bean

mandasand Sat 01-Sep-12 09:15:45

Can't wait to get to an H&M that does maternity, Tired! I've been in about three and all say 'Noo, we don't stock it' which seems daft as pregnant women are everywhere! The only guaranteed place in Oxford is, I believe, Mothercare so we are off there today. Will look out for your navy stripey dress!

What have you got planned for your week off, Wing? (Lots of rest I hope!)

Guinea well done on the chapter! Bloody great milestone! I'm going to be writing a fair bit this weekend (once I'm attired in my new, roomier bra/pant/leggings combo, hehe). Ahhhhh baby cuddles smile Enjoy!

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sat 01-Sep-12 09:19:17

Oh and it's our 5 yr anniversary today so DCs are off to my mum's and we are going for a meal. Do you think one teeny glass of wine would be ok? Not sure if I will but was wondering if I could?

mandasand Sat 01-Sep-12 09:28:59

Yes you can (and happy anniversary!) My MW sais the odd half pint or glass of wine is okay. I've only had the odd sip of DH's beer/cider now and again but last Sat after successful 12-week scan I had a whole bottle of 1% cider! (And a hangover next day!)

Something, the scan pics are lovely!

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sat 01-Sep-12 14:40:19

Thanks Manda, I think I will have a small glass of celebratory wine tonight! Enjoy your shopping. I miss the excitement of shopping for first baby things! Practically everything's hand-me-downs when you're onto baby no 3. I will treat myself to a new white bra though!

Something I can't see your pictures. Am I doing something wrong when I click on the link? Glad all is ok though.

Think I'm going to treat myself to a nap so I don't fall asleep in our expensive food tonight grin!

mandasand Sat 01-Sep-12 18:13:42

Guinea I'm so excited about my new bras from mothercare! Feel like a woman again after spending a month is tshirt bras which give me zero support! Also got blissfully comfy over-the-bump leggings and tights - sooo happy! But I don't want to spend tons. Will try to get by as much as poss. Got a few dresses from eBay (a real mix from Dotty Ps to H&M to Isabella Oliver) and they'll definitely do me for a few months. I'm worried about a coat as I don't want to spend a ton of money, and apparently I'm going to be mahoosive with twins and also unable to go very far anyway. I've got a big old cape thing from the early 90s (!) which I may have to dig out as that might just see me through. A couple of mates have said they might have stuff to chuck my way which would, of course, be brilliant. (Our loft is already full of boys clothes age 0-3 from a friend, so we're hoping for at least one little lad!)

Happy anniversary dinner! And as you can only have the one, make sure it's a really good glass of wine! Lots to celebrate!

Sometimes they work sometime they don't! Go my next scan in 14 days smile

WingDefence Sun 02-Sep-12 20:28:09

Evening all! We had a lovely time at my BF's yesterday. The sun shone shock and it was fab. And I retold her our news and she was suitably surprised grin and handed over some lovely maternity clothes.

Guinea I hope you did have that glass of wine!

Something, welcome back! grin Love the scan is. We're these NHS or private?

We are off to Anglesey tomorrow until Friday and YAY the weather is looking dry and sunny! I want to spend most of the time on the beach/rock pooling whereas DH wants to go to the towns and go for drives hmm

I am so looking forward to our mini break and lots of people have told us good things about Anglesey and from where we live now it's far easier to get to so if we really like it I'm secretly hoping it could become a regular place to visit smile

Right, better finish packing and then an early night!

If I don't have 3G signal/wifi at the apartment, I'll speak to you all at the end of the week...

tiredteddy Sun 02-Sep-12 20:39:36

Hi wing I went to Anglesey years ago when I was at UNI as part of my course. We did lots of rock pooling, making shelters etc and saw the castle there? It was great. Have a wonderful time smile

oo Enjoy!

tiredteddy Mon 03-Sep-12 09:57:20

Morning all!
We are going shopping for last minute school stuff later and hitting the supermarket as the cupboards and fridge are looking very bare! What's everyone else up to?

mandasand Mon 03-Sep-12 12:05:05

Hello ladies - really sunny here in Oxford today. And I got to enjoy it on two walks to and from the docs this morning. Arrived first thing to have my bloods taken only to be told my appt wasn't in the system but they'd fit me in an hour later. So I toddled off home (only a ten-min walk) and came back, only to be told off by the phlebotomist (sp?) for not being there at the right time. 'It's all your fault', she said, 'because they put your appt in the system with no name'. Erm, WTF, thankyouverymuch?! Am I really to blame for reception's error?! Normally I'd get irate about this kind of thing, but it just washed over me.

Back to the normal grindstone today. Altho I have 2 extra weeks for my book, September is when I agreed with boss to turn back to normal tasks, so doing a bit of data entry on our research database and waiting for him to call. I wrote asking for a meeting this week, but it's his first day back after jollies and I know he'd prob prefer not to meet this week, especially as I've got tons to keep me busy. But I need to tell him about the pregnancy!!! Prefer to do it in person, as there's a heck of a lot to discuss and work out, so just waiting to see what transpires re meeting…

Happy hols, Wing, though it looks like I missed you before you headed off to Anglesey. Hope the sun shines!

Lunch now. I'm finding it really hard to hold out till 12 normally. By 1130 I'm normally lunching, but prefer to wait till 12 and that's when DH lunches and we always have a quick chat then. Have lovely days, everyone!

mandasand Mon 03-Sep-12 12:43:51

Oh, I have just some excellent news through the post. Apparently, despite great age (37) my babies each have a 1/3000 risk of Downs, based on blood tests and nuchal scan. I really don't understand how this can be, since I read that at 35+ your risk is about 1/350 naturally. Maybe they buggered up my d.o.b.?! Can anyone shed any light? Anyway, I guess this is really positive news, so hurray!

That's great Manda! Obv, not the blood thing. That's just plain weird!
Well, i'm just slumming it at home. DS is in bed having a much needed nap, and then i'm meeting a friend.
We are having his first birthday party next Sunday, his birthday isn't until the wed, but it should be fun. We're going all children's party on it, so games, goody bags etc. The oldest actual child there will be 18 months, so it's definitely for the adults!

mandasand Mon 03-Sep-12 13:46:22

Ahhh, other ladies who are 35+ on my March thread have similarly been revised upwards - not unusual, apparently!

Frying aw first party! How lovely!

I'm so pleased you were able to get some answers.

I'm really excited about it, so is DH. Will put photographs on my profile when it's over :-)

tiredteddy Mon 03-Sep-12 18:44:24

frying how lovely to have a party! Enjoy it's magical when they are small still. We went to our nephews first birthday party this Sunday and it was very sweet with lots of games etc.

manda very weird about that appointment but cool that you weren't bothered. Sometimes there is just no point in getting stressed. The downs results are excellent too that must be a weight of your mind. How are all those nice maternity clothes from your friend doing? I'm currently obsessing about a winter a coat as I hate the cold! There was a lush teal one on eBay but I forgot to bid and it only went for £20 sad

This thread is not accepting new messages.