Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2012 - where we all bury our heads in the sand

(988 Posts)
pinpan Mon 13-Aug-12 21:02:19

grin

MissPollysTrolleyed Tue 14-Aug-12 08:13:04

Thanks for the lovely new thread Pinpan.

Running thanks for the dummy weaning advice. I think you are probably right and that I would only be making a rod for my back if I tried weaning him now when he's too young to understand the concept of a reward like the dummy fairy....at least I think he is anyway. He had his first dentist's visit yesterday and got a sticker and was proud as punch. He insisted it was transferred onto his PJs when he went to bed and called his daddy to come in and see it when he came home from work smile.

Anyway, almost 33 weeks here. Isn't time just flying? I'm so excited now about finishing work and looking forward to putting my feet up for a few weeks' calm before the whirlwind in October.

Thumbwitch Tue 14-Aug-12 08:15:35

Hello! May I join in? My supposed EDD is 14th October 2012 but my obgyn wants to bring it out before then. Don't know what flavour (surprise!). Am in Australia so all a bit disconcerting, as DS was born in the UK where Things Made Sense.

Haven't been looking for the Oct 2012 AN thread before but saw this one pop up in Active, so thought I should pop in! grin

newtonupontheheath Tue 14-Aug-12 08:27:16

Sure Thumb jump on in!

pinpan is in NZ so not too far from you...well, in the grand scheme of things!! grin

How old is you DS?

Good lord, DS is a whirlwind today... He's currently cleaning his teeth (has been for about 10 minutes) stood on the loo, leaning right into the sink. I'm inclined to just leave him there for a quiet life!

HeyMicky Tue 14-Aug-12 08:40:56

I've sent my request, if one of the admins can approve, please

Updated list for WeeSooty and Thumbwitch:

Rnb dc4 edd 23 sept - boy
Pinpan dc1 edd 25 sept - girl
HeyMickey dc edd 25 sept - girl
MakeTeaNotWar dc2 edd 26 sept - Surprise
Pezzina dc2 edd 26 sept
Winnie81 dc2 edd 27th Sept - surprise
ST82 dc1 edd 27 sept - boy
MsInterpret dc2 28sept - girl
Captainhetty dc4 edd 1 oct - girl
Newtonupontheheath dc 2 1 oct - surprise
babybrain3 dc3 edd 1 Oct - surprise
Emiedarling dc1 edd 3oct - boy
Welliesandpyjamas dc3 edd 4 Oct
MissPollysTrolleyed dc2 edd 4 Oct
Littleplasticpeople dc3 edd 5 oct
WeeSooty dc1 edd 5th October - surprise
Gizzyboo dc4 edd 5 oct
Cakes82 dc1 edd 5 oct- suprise
Shopgal9 dc1 edd 5 oct
Bubblebell dc3 edd 6 oct - girl
MissPenteuth edd 6 oct - girl
KPT083 dc1 edd 8 oct - surprise
DameFlatYouLent dc2 edd 9 oct
FluffyJawsOfDoom dc1 9 oct - surprise
Thunderboltkid dc1 edd 10 oct - boy
Isheisnthe dc4 edd 10 oct
Thumbwitch dc2 edd 14 October - surprise
Bear1984 dc2 edd 15 oct - boy
RunningOutOfIdeas dc2 edd 15 oct - girl
Guccigirl79 dc1 edd 16 oct - boy
Elvislives2012 edd 18 oct - surprise
Kelbells dc 1 edd 18 oct - boy
Goodsenseofdirection dc1 20 oct - surprise
Beeblebear dc1 20 oct - boy
MissRedIndie dc2 20 Oct
Pheebs24 dc1 21 Oct
Susurrant dc1 21 Oct
Doodlekitty DC1 EDD 26th Oct - boy
Loopyla dc1 edd 28 Oct - surprise
TartyMcFarty dc2 31 Oct

Thumbwitch Tue 14-Aug-12 08:41:41

Ds is 4.8 and very excited about the baby (luckily!) Hope he stays that way when it arrives... grin

WeeSooty Tue 14-Aug-12 08:51:38

Trying to add everyone to the group, clearly more important thank work! grin I can't seem to change settings on my phone so think I'll have to wait till tonight to make us private again and add some admin!

Ooh it's exciting!

CaptainHetty Tue 14-Aug-12 09:03:20

Can I have the link to the group pleeeease? grin

LoopyLa Tue 14-Aug-12 09:22:08

Wow, another shiny new thread - the name is SO appropriate!! grin

Marking my spot...as I can't interrupt the crazy nesting that's going on with me right now. Seriously, hang around long enough in my house & you'll find yourself chucked in a bin bag & taken to the tip!! shock

I'm being pretty ruthless & it feels great, I'm so excited to see what the nursery will look like when it's done smile

I'm on my last holiday week ever as part of a hot, married couple hmm before we become proper, grown-up parents so doing baby things & coupley things...should be a great week smile

Hope everyone else is ok?

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 14-Aug-12 09:40:01

Good morning All. I have to confess to being a complete luddite - I am not on Facebook. I just like my privacy too much.

Welcome Thumbwitch were in Oz are you? All my family are around Brisbane.

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 14-Aug-12 09:40:30

Oh god my typing is awful. I meant wHere are you

ShellWeDance Tue 14-Aug-12 09:46:04

Marking my place.

I need to add myself to the list once I'm off my phone. My EDD is 19th October and it's a surprise if anyone's updating before then.

Can I join the FB group too please? What do I need to do?

pinpan Tue 14-Aug-12 10:32:30

G'day Thumb! (Well alright, g'night then. grin)

Thumbwitch Tue 14-Aug-12 10:39:55

I'm in NSW, Running - 1.5h north of Sydney, in the "country", apparently grin

Not quite night yet, pinpan! getting there though grin

pinpan Tue 14-Aug-12 10:42:45

Guess I'm still 2 hours ahead of you - it's definitely getting close to time to crawl off to bed with my achy bump! Hope all you northerners have a nice Tuesday. wink

LoopyLa Tue 14-Aug-12 10:45:07

Ok, good mood has rapidly disappeared...just been told by my local hospital that all their ante-natal classes have been booked up & the hospital where I'm due to give birth in just do 1 day classes that I can't attend.

Not happy, in fact rather angry

Any advice/thoughts? I know I can go on Google but will websites really be able to give accurate info on labour, pain relief options, breathing & breast-feeding? Feeling really sad that I phoned at the recommended time and still not got a place - are people actually phoning as soon as they get their sodding bfp for Christ's sake?!! angry angry

MissPollysTrolleyed Tue 14-Aug-12 11:27:57

Welcome Thumbwitch. Can I ask you a question? My friend has had a baby in Oz and I want to buy her some baby clothes. Do you have Baby Gap and Baby H&M there? I find they have the most practical baby stuff but only want to buy stuff that she can't get over there.

Loopy, I didn't go to the ante-natal classes in my hospital as I had heard they weren't great. I did NCT as well which was great for meeting lovely people but I don't really rate the advice we got. We did a whole afternoon on breastfeeding but it really didn't help when the time came but you get lots of great post-natal breastfeeding help from midwives and breastfeeding counselors. There's also a great book called The Food of Love which I would thoroughly recommend. I'll bet there's some great advice generally on Mumsnet on pain relief but the one thing that I took from my NCT classes was that if you need to be induced and they put you on the syntocinin drip, you should very strongly consider getting an epidural as the fun stops the moment the drip goes in.

This time round I'm doing a couples birth preparation class which is being run by my yoga teacher and a midwife. Can you get to some yoga classes to help with the breathing? Finally, I bought a squillion natural labour books last time and the only one I'm bothering with this time is Juju Sundun's Birth Skills as that was the only one that really resonated before the birth and helped during the birth.

Hope that helps. Sorry it is so long smile.

HeyMicky Tue 14-Aug-12 11:32:23

Loopy I genuinely haven't learnt anything at antenatal classes that I hadn't already read online or in the books I have. NCT was fundamentally a social exercise!

Can you book in an extra appointment with your midwife to talk through some of the questions you have? La Leche League do drop in meetings for breastfeeding, and you could get a book and CD on breathing/relaxation techniques

Angelico Tue 14-Aug-12 11:35:47

Hello other October thread smile <waves> I've been hanging out on the other Oct thread but you popped up in most active so came to say hello and good luck all! My due date is 5th Oct but will prob be earlier due to planned CS.

So thanks for all bean growers - not long to go now! smile

ps: If anyone has awesome tips for hip pain I would be glad to hear them - I sleep on a duvet, big pillow between legs, wedge under bump which all helped for a while but the magic is wearing off...

Thumbwitch Tue 14-Aug-12 11:36:56

Hi MissPollys - have just had a look - there are 3 Gap stores in Australia (from their Aus website), one in Sydney and 2 in Melbourne - apparently they carry the baby stuff but they're not exactly easy access unless your friend lives in either Melbourne or Sydney.
It appears that H&M might be in the same situation - can't find actual stores for them, but they were aiming to set up in Sydney and Melbourne.
So if your friend isn't in either of those cities, you should be safe with those stores. smile

Thumbwitch Tue 14-Aug-12 11:38:52

Angelico - I'm getting the hideous hip pain now too - last time around, the thing that helped it was moving out of bed and onto my saggy ol' studio couch, on a doubled-over duvet, with pillows between knees and under bump. The reason I believe this helped the most was actually the back support - I could lean my back against the back of the studio couch, which took some of the pressure of the hips, I think. So maybe you could try sleeping against the wall?

Angelico Tue 14-Aug-12 11:41:23

Ooooh, good tip Thumbwitch, thank you! Might try sleeping on the futon bed when it comes next week smile

MissPollysTrolleyed Tue 14-Aug-12 11:51:27

Thanks Thumbwitch. I didn't think of looking up their websites blush. My friend is in Sydney so I'll go for something independent over here that definitely won't have branches in Oz.

CaptainHetty Tue 14-Aug-12 12:14:44

Afternoon everyone! Angelico I wish I had a mystery cure for the hip pain but I'm in the same boat, I could cry when I wake up in the night and need a wee. Gettin out of bed is so bloody painful, especially if I've rolled over and I've been on my back. I've been trying to wedge myself on one side. Unsuccessfully hmm Might try sleeping on the sofa so I can' keep turning over, if it's helping other people!

RE ante-natal classes, I'm on number 4 and can honestly say I've never been to one. Ever. A lot of people find it odd, but I learnt a lot of the breathing techniques and relaxation through pregnancy yoga anyway. I do think a lot of it is in books and online, but sometimes it's easier to grasp things if people are actually explaining and demonstrating for you.

Had MW this morning and at 33+1 Flump is still breech. Little madam. We're going back in 3 weeks and if she's still wrong way up we'll be sent for a presentation scan and attempt to turn her - in two minds as to whether I want them to or not because a) I'm a wimp and been told it hurts like buggery, and b) there's only a 50-60% chance it'll actually work, according to my midwife. I'd prefer to be able to deliver naturally but our hospital doesn't tend to allow known breech babies to be delivered vaginally, so may end up having a section.

Now off to Google getting babies to turn.... grin

Ladies sorry but I've temporarily come off the FB group as a colleague let me know she'd seen my post! Can I rejoin when it's secret again?

Maketea...that's why I am waiting to declare my username...don't want people in RL following me into MN grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now