Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

March 2013 Mk II - anyone for a wotsit?

(1000 Posts)
tiddleypompom Thu 19-Jul-12 14:16:37
posypoo Thu 19-Jul-12 17:50:52

KF I am 8 weeks today by a 28 day cycle, but more like 7.5 from my actual cycle. At my surgery they get you in for booking between 8-10 weeks.

Manda I also have to see a consultant as well as I had high bp during late pg last time. But my midwife said that most people who had high bp in first pregnancy don't have it in 2nd pregnancy (not sure why!) so fingers crossed. It was a stress I could have done without last time as depending on who I was seeing that day, it was either completely normal or rush to hospital worrying - confusing.

mandasand Thu 19-Jul-12 17:52:43

gummi oh no, that's pants. luckily they caught mine just as it was going overactive, because they tested me when I mentioned to my doc that my mum was having her thyroid taken away. I was on meds for two years and feel very lucky that it righted itself after coming off meds gradually. am still tested every six months.

tiddley lovin' that particular factoid! think may well head to the coop later to indulge! twins!!! i would love twins! I could even do with triplets. pop pop pop them out and instant family! (haha, o the naivety - I know!) I was a very lonely only child for thirteen years and I really want more than one. I also feel pretty old and not as energetic as I used to be and they could occupy each other in the garden with their wonderfully imaginative games whilst I make them some fairy cakes.

leftwing that's awful! I can completely understand you wanted to tell your folks face-to-face, while you can, and ideally you want to be sure that everything is okay. It is also just a bit funny (sorry!) that he was on the phone to his Mum straight away! Is there still time to go for it? I've decided that I will have one after eight weeks, because the risk of miscarriage is smaller then, so hopefully there will be no big surprise at the 12 week scan. The price is £120 at the clinic in West Oxford I've been looking at (£30 cheaper than a private clinic at the hospital).

kkforever I am 6+4 too! Spooky smile Ha, love that you are having weird tastes already! Is that the first for our little posse? Is it a particularly nice flavour/smell?! hehehee!

Lexi, not sure how long it should take. The receptionist at my doc surgery offered me an appt next week, but I was worried it was too long so the midwife called me and I got one for this week. Give your surgery a call, maybe, to see what's a normal length of time?

mandasand Thu 19-Jul-12 17:56:47

posypoo (xposts!) do you have an idea how long it will take to see the consultant? I forgot to ask. my BP is always at the upper end of the normal range, and sometimes a bit over, but I've never been medicated for it. I wouldn't be surprised if it bumps up a bit, but we shall see. Will ask your advice from your experience as and when! I'm a teensy bit jealous that you're a bit further along - how daft is that?! smile

posypoo Thu 19-Jul-12 17:58:11

By the way tiddley I love the thread title. When I was little at children's parties, I used to hover by the wotsit bowl and hoover them all up. Seriously fancying a cheesy wotsit now!

tedmundo Thu 19-Jul-12 18:44:17

Ooooooh .. Lovely new thread and I found it while scoffing a packet of Quavers (88 calories .. )

Welcome rainbow and so sorry to hear about your little girl. We are all here (hopefully) for the duration so stick around for any support you may need. There are a fair few of us that have had pregnancies ending in miscarriage so can understand to some extent how hard this must be.

Those of you at the midwives this week .. Did you ask for an early scan, did they offer one? Did you weep on their necks and beg for one as I intend to do on Monday? I am 6+4 today. Next week is looming as the last baby dies at 7 weeks (not that I knew that as it was a missed miscarriage) and scaring the bejesus out of me.

DH still not home yet .. I am getting a bit twitchy about when this baby arrives and how I am going to cope day in day out with 3 pretty much on my own. gummiberry .. Tell me it is possible to do bathtime and bedtime for 3 alone?!?

ThreeForTea Thu 19-Jul-12 18:47:06

Ah, thanks for the new thread! I am pleased to have got through another day, think I am 6+3 today.

Thanks for the advice Tiddley knicky and others regarding dd and sleeping. She was a lot better last night, she only woke up once and dh saw to her. We have all had a cold so think that that may have accounted for the trauma of the last week!

I have two days of work left and then have two weeks off. I am so ready for it! My mum and sister are taking dd and me to Sardinia for a few days and then i'll have some time at home. I feel like it is the first proper time off i'll have since coming back from Mat leave last July. We went to Goa in April for my brothers wedding but unfortunatly it turned into a holidays-from-hell style fiasco and we ended up being stranded in Frankfurt airport for five days because of our damn fools of a travel agent, we lost £2k in the process, and was only 6 weeks after MC sad So am really very keen to have a holiday that works out!

I have to see a Consultant at around 25 weeks I think. I'm high risk because of C-Section last time, but maybe thats different.

ThreeForTea Thu 19-Jul-12 18:58:48

Ted I asked the gp I saw for an early scan and she basically said that there was no way EPU would see me unless there was pain and bleeding, unless you had had two mc now, its recently changed. I don't know if it is maybe treatment if you had mmc managed previously? What she did seem to imply though is that if you had any bleeding with cramps whatsoever then they would scan, and I think was nearly leaning towards telling me that that is what I should report at 6 weeks!

I would just try in your shoes emphasising the emotional impact of the worry that you will be having from what you went through before? But ultimatly its going to depend on the epu capacity in your area because that why it has changed in my area.

ThreeForTea Thu 19-Jul-12 19:00:13

sorry half way through that post it was meant to say 'different' not 'treatment!'

mandasand Thu 19-Jul-12 19:29:00

just a quick q: after three or so days with no preg symptoms, today I'm having sort of period pain womb cramps, like before. is anyone else experiencing this and is it a normal pregnancy symptom for this stage? no bleeding or spotting. sorry to be panicking, no doubt unecessarily! (I did mention this to midwife and she didn't seem concerned, but I trust the collective MN mind, too!)

roseandroli Thu 19-Jul-12 19:42:14

Hi everyone, love the shiny new thread!

manda I have also been getting period like cramps. I like to think it's my uterus stretching! But who knows, my body is a total mystery to me right now. As for pg symptoms, mine come and go, and tbh I haven't felt any kind of extreme nausea or anything, so sometimes I am afraid I am just making the whole thing up. Unless you have bleeding, I wouldn't worry about the cramps, though of course if you are worried I would phone up your gp surgery.

Welcome rainbow. I am so sorry about your little girl, I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you. Glad you came and joined us, we will be here to support you as you embark on this new journey.

We've just moved to East London so I registered at our local gp clinic today. The doctor said that most women go to Homerton hospital, but I'm going to stick with UCH. It's a bit further, but I feel more comfortable there. Plus I have a tiny hope of having a homebirth (shh, don't tell my mother, she will totally freak out), but I'm not going to think about any of that right now. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the little bean is actually still in there and growing as it should.

Welcome to the thread rainbow. I'm so sorry about your little girl, I can't begin to imagine how awful that must have been for you. We're all here to hold your hand through this pregnancy - there's a few of us needing hand-holding, sadly xx

I have been feeling grim all day. My boobs are really sore, have a headache, I look pale, my skin is a mess, I am shattered and I feel quite sick. But because of what happened last time, I'm so happy to be feeling like this! Weirdo!

Sorry reading that back sounds really insensitive. What I meant to say was "I can't begin to imagine how awful that must have been and still must be for you" x

GummiberryJuice Thu 19-Jul-12 20:01:03

manda period like cramps are normal, although didn't stop me googling it again just to make sure as I had been having them, I had them with other 3 too

ted When my number 3 was born dd was 5 and ds was 3 so that was a big help, I did morning bathtime for baby, and top and tail at night, my dh works all hours so you find a routine and stick to it. got the dcs to do a quick tidy up, while I ran a bath, remember feeding dd2 while they were in bath and reading story all while sitting on toilet (not going to the toilet btw), then put her in bouncy chair while got other 2 to bed.

You are all lucky you have scan/booking in dates, mine will all happen on the one day and won't be for ages, still hoping for a surprise letter from hosp before end of week but probably not!

I'm going to throw myself on the mercy of the midwife at my booking appt (fingers crossed I last another two weeks) and see if I can get an early scan.

rainbow welcome! Hope we can be a good support for you and that you get a positive outcome this time. Can't comprehend how awful it must have been for you to lose your DD like that. But fingers crossed this is our time, for all of us!

Just had bed time shenanigans with DD. Jesus, talk about spinning it out. Now she's in a bed and especially since she moved into her new room, every night is like a mini-series!! grin

Four of my friends have twins [eeeek] and i think it goes without saying that it is relentless very hard work! grin

Interviewing went well and hopefully we got a good candidate, fingers crossed they accept! I work in a very male dominated department, but funnily enough our team is mainly women, so quite an interesting dynamic in our office!

Really sorry, can't remember who was having DH issues, but can sympathise. We have very similar episodes from time to time!

Finished work for the week after my massive two day slog! wink you've got to love part time working grin

mandasand is probably what they call round ligament pain (just stretching basically?)

Rainbowbabyhope Thu 19-Jul-12 20:49:50

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I just need to convince myself that there is hope for a happy ending and that 2013 will be a better year for us. Hard to believe at the moment so right now its just a day at a time - as it is for us all. This time around I will be getting lots of early scans starting with one next week when I will be around 6+2. Unfortunately I don't think I will find these very reassuring as I had the usual scans showing a perfect healthy baby throughout my last pregnancy and I now know it doesn't actually mean you will get to take a baby home. But at least its a goal to work towards!

I too am getting crampy feelings on and off - I did last time as well and it is just everything stretching.

sarahs999 Thu 19-Jul-12 21:06:44

OMG. I had the scan, and am the proud owner of a 6+3 measuring (that's a day ahead!), 122bpm heartbeat embryo. I am so relieved but still stunned and the knot in my stomach just won't go. I haven't had an embryo measure on-date since my DS - have lost five since him. The drugs I'm on are clearly what I needed all along. DH and I are just grinning and manic.

GummiberryJuice Thu 19-Jul-12 21:11:22

Sarah that is brilliant news grin

tiddleypompom Thu 19-Jul-12 21:11:33

sarah! Hooray, what happy happy news! Ooo and some bonus extra days too - well done and enjoy the celebrations with DH smile

This is the start of a happy thread, I just know it grin

(quavers have fewer calories than wotsits? Who'd have thunk it?)

tiddleypompom Thu 19-Jul-12 21:12:17

<puts finger to nose> another boy sarah, tis my prediction.

Hooray Sarah that's brill news! Have a virtual wine! great news! grin

Congrats sarah - fantastic news! grin

JoJoBella84 Thu 19-Jul-12 21:40:08

I LOVE the name of this feed - almost as much as I love Wotsits :D

Welcome to newbies rainbow it's lovely to have you with us, one of my close friends had a still birth following premature labour 5 years ago - I was her birthing partner and it was hugely upsetting. However, she then became pregnant almost straight away afterwards and now has a healthy son, despite a second premature labour and a few pg complications! There is always hope!!

I've convinced myself I'm actually more than 8weeks+5days along as I'm resorting to hair bands in order to secure my jeans comfortably. I worked my EDD based on a 40 day cycle but as I'm completely irregular I based that 40 days on the mean average of my last 6 monthly cycles. In reality though I can have some months as a 14 day cycle and some as a 45 day cycle... am I over-complicating this?? Should I just accept that I'll be 9 weeks on Saturday and that I'm just piling on the lbs???!!
Grrrr Help!!

JoJoBella84 Thu 19-Jul-12 21:41:32

sarah massive congratulations, I'm thrilled for you smile

Lexiindisguise Thu 19-Jul-12 21:48:41

Tiddley got home to a big fat envelope with the appointment & the green notes - phew grin seeing midwife next Friday!
Just spoke to my mum for the family history & found out some sad medical things I didn't know which has made me a bit anxious - mind you everything makes me anxious, or nauseous right now! wink

This thread is not accepting new messages.