Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - nearer the end than the beginning

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Thu 28-Jun-12 18:31:58

No nothing booked, we usually do a meal
out for his families birthdays (not that they bothered to do anything for DP)

I guess some families are different, my own DF was on holiday for my bday, I understood it was the most practical week for him to go and I saw him the week after, I assumed it would be no biggie to see him the day before we left (day before his bday) but apparently I was wrong, it's just not worth the hassle for everyone else to challenge it though.

I have missed a few family birthdays because of holidays but luckily my family are very understanding. I wouldn’t deliberately plan it like that but sometimes that’s how it works out. I missed my nana’s 70th birthday party because I was in Turkey visiting DP’s family. It was the first time DP had seen any of his family in 8 years though so I think it can be forgiven.

MissMummy I know, bloody cars! If we are going to replace it we probably need to do it this month because next month I have to tax my car. Usually I only tax it for 6 months but I will be on mat leave then so need to try and do it for a year. I was hoping to book a holiday this month (for next may) but that’s out of the window now I think unless I can find a low deposit one.

Passmethecrisps Mon 16-Jul-12 12:20:50

Oh, waiting I am sorry to hear about your mum. It sounds awful just not knowing.

Your comment about not believing how pregnant we are made me smile. I remember first joining MN and looking at the pregnancy threads thinking "24 weeks! that is properly pregnant" and wondering if I would ever not feel like a fraud.

A stranger asked my DH how far along I was the other day so I clearly look pregnant rather than just fat. He was totally gobsmacked though when I said that I was about 5 and a half months. He has stuck in his head that I am 4 months. I think once we got past the scan he kind of stopped progressing it in his head.

Today is dreich to the max so I am going to clean the house. I have to get something done. I have been sitting around in a bit of a funk unable to settle to anything. I don't mind lazing about watching telly or reading but I couldn't even settle to that so I end up just sitting feeling unsettled and wasting a day that I know others would be very grateful to have to chill out!

Passmethecrisps Mon 16-Jul-12 12:22:37

Cars! Don't talk to me about cars! I hadn't realised that I had such hot-rod taste in cars as it turns out everything for my car costs 5 times as much as it would for any other.

My laptop is also hanging onto life by a thread. It cannot give up for at least a year though . . .

ValiumQueen Mon 16-Jul-12 12:36:37

<<strokes her iPad lovingly >>

WaitingForMe Mon 16-Jul-12 12:50:09

I'm finding it odd that people I haven't told know I'm pregnant passmethecrisps. I just had a delivery and hesitated before taking the big box.

"Don't worry love, it's not heavy" he said "I wouldn't do that to you" and gestured at my stomach.

Feels weird it no longer being a secret.

WaitingForMe I’m the same. I was a bit taken aback when the lady I sold my bed to asked if I was pregnant. I have also noticed when I go out shopping that loads of people stare at my stomach. It’s like they are drawn to it!

Valium I do like iPads and we had considered getting one but I’m a saddo that enjoys playing my Sims and Football Manager games so think I’d regret getting a tablet with no cd/dvd drive. Though how much time I will have to play them with a puppy and a newborn I don’t know.

MissMummy1 Mon 16-Jul-12 13:21:54

Sorry to hear about brain tumours and grumpy mondays. I was in a crap mood on saturday, all those nasty hormones!

apple I'm stressing a lot about money atm. Our new house is costing A LOT more than we first thought, so my new car is totally out the window this year. I cant justify buying a new laptop just now but need one for work. Fecking car insurance has gone up this year (despite having a smaller engined car than last year with a lower ins group and no accidents etc) so going to need to get that sorted now too. Urgh. If it werent for where we are moving i would happily get shot of my car and just share with dh.

MissMummy1 Mon 16-Jul-12 13:25:51

I did renew my mobile contract yesterday and got a shiny new galaxy note for free. Its sort of half tablet, half phone and so far I havent managed to find anything needing done on my laptop that i cant do on this, so might put up with just using this for a couple of months until DH realises it was totally his fault i threw my laptop at him buys me a new computer for christmas :-)

YellowWellies Mon 16-Jul-12 13:27:03

Oh tits and waiting they both sound like real shitb*stard situations sad it's times like these I hate being preggers as they call for a fag and a big glass of wine.

passme I too have a dribbling kitty who has taken to sleeping on my bump / chest - like a furry iron lung. He's delighted I'm not sleeping and follows me on each toilet trip meowing excitedly for food / sinuously weaving between my ankles as I waddle in the dark to the loo / trying to kill me.

Anyone looking for a new laptop - I'd heartily recommend a macbook - even the cheapest one they do (which is the one this tight arse Yorkshire bird got) is brilliant. Mine's four years old and still runs as fast as the day I bought it - now you can't say that about your average PC - so are well worth the extra money initially. You will then get truly fecked off if you have to use PC laptops when you can't do three finger scrolling (stop tittering at the back) and other mac wizardry. The only downside, in our solid fuelled household is that white computers and slatternly housewifelyness do not go together....

horseylady Mon 16-Jul-12 13:27:46

Missmummy I had the same stress about money. Then dh showed me his bank balance and I felt happier!! Were combining accounts after the holiday (hopefully!) so should be ok! I hope anyway. Just wish the mortgage tie in finished this sept rather than next. Never mind hopefully interest rates will remain lowish.

Looking forward to leaving the rain smile

YellowWellies Mon 16-Jul-12 13:30:05

Hahahaha MissMummy - brilliant!!! Your DH sounds like he has to be quick on his toes grin

MissMummy1 Mon 16-Jul-12 13:58:45

YW he was being a total twat, it was well deserved. (i just didnt realise i'd thrown it quite so hard, its survived falling downstairs and all sorts - oops) !

Passmethecrisps Mon 16-Jul-12 14:50:16

apple I love Sims! When DH suggested not replacing the laptop when it inevitably goes, he only had to look at my face before saying "oh yeah, but when would you play Sims?" I don't play often but I like te option.

Ideally I would go MacBook which is why this year is out. DH has an iPad, I have an iPhone and DH has a mac desktop which is about 8 years old - only now is it showing its age.

I now know why pregnant ladies run their bumps. I have been doing this in a self-conscious "see, I am pregnant" kind of a way. It is odd that it is public knowledge. I was so desperate to tell people before but now it feels weird that it is public property.

ValiumQueen Mon 16-Jul-12 14:54:11

<<dribbling kitty snigger snigger>>

ValiumQueen Mon 16-Jul-12 14:56:00

When you go into a room and forget what you went in for, that is God playing Sims and cancelling your action...

Elizadoesdolittle Mon 16-Jul-12 16:55:03

Just back from midwife appointment. All fine and dandy with baby. I have high glucose levels in my urine. It's ok once but she said if it shows up again I'll have to go for tests for gestational diabetes which will be a pain in the arse. I'm blaming all the cakes and ice creams I ate on holiday smile next midwife appointment is at 28 weeks so I have 5 weeks to sort myself out. Boooo....I thought being pregnant gave us licence to eat whatever we like! grin

Eliza I had to have a GTT today at 24 weeks. Sat at the hospital from 9am-11:45am. Was boring and I was starving and desperate for a cup of tea.

ValiumQueen Mon 16-Jul-12 19:13:22

I had a GTT at 14 weeks. They want to repeat it as it was too early. I told them that! I have said no, as I have never had sugar in my urine, and no family history. Having sugar in urine does not reflect sugar eaten, but how body is processing carbs, including sugar.

Valium, 14 weeks is far too early. Some doctors are just rubbish, what a waster of your time! According to consultant and nurses at hospital 24-28 weeks is the norm with 24 weeks being the earliest.

daisychain76 Mon 16-Jul-12 20:06:52

Hi all

Finally got to the next sale today, some gorgeous baby stuff but all in blue or pink and I'm team yellow grrrr! Have my re-scan to get final shot of baby's spine on Thursday, DH won't be there so really tempted to find out the sex and not tell anyone (including him), so I can secretly buy lots of nice clothes. Don't know if I could avoid letting it slip out though.

Felt a bit dizzy and horrible the last 2 days, so early night for me I think.

YellowWellies Mon 16-Jul-12 20:09:39

Thanks for that advice Valium - was suddenly worrying, paused mid-munch, crumbs around my chops, about troughing an entire pack of biscuits in one sitting a few days before my MW appointment. I shall now carry on guilt free om nom nom....

Kyzordz Mon 16-Jul-12 20:12:20

ooh we're nearly at the end of another one! Will head off and find the new one now. I ended up buying some palmers stretch mark stuff, i've been using it for a couple of days and it's helping with the dry skin and itchiness, which pleases me! Not sure what bean is up to in there atm but it feels ever so funny lol

ValiumQueen Mon 16-Jul-12 20:59:03

Happy to be of help yellow indeed I would happily help you eat the biscuits. I am good like that.

ValiumQueen Mon 16-Jul-12 21:00:09

Come on thread, time to say night night

This thread is not accepting new messages.