Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Twins Club 4!! All welcome. :-)

(1000 Posts)
rednellie Fri 09-Mar-12 12:10:32

Right ladies, welcome aboard for mutual hand holding. Here are the stats - they're probably all wrong! grin

MrsStevo, #1 & 2, EDD 23/08/2011, Lincs, MCDA ID,
Tiggersreturn #2+3 EDD 26/09/11 NW London DCDA - not finding out
silverangel #1+2 Sophie, 3lb3 & Alice3lb1 born at 31+2 on 01/08/11 EMCS
PrincessScrumpy #2 & 3, girls
BB3, #2&3 (#1 DS) DCDA girls born 20.09.11 by EMCS at 37 weeks exactly - Edith-May 5lb 11.5oz and Ayse-Rose 6lb 1oz.

PeelingmyselfofftheCeiling #1+2 EDD, DCDA, Boy and Girl, Born 14 Sept
Twinnerves, DCDA, #2&3, girls Francesca and Isabella, born 18/11/11 EMCS 6lbs 6 oz and 6lbs 9.5oz
xkatyx , ID girls, DC 8,5,9months, ELCS 23/12/11 Rosie and Hollie
Quempin #1&2 EDD 27/1/12, ID boys, T1 5lb5oz, T2 just under 5lb, ELCS 36 weeks
Ravenlocks DCDA, #1&2, 6.01.12 T1 Boy, 4lb 12oz, T2 Girl, 6lb
Tabbycatt, DCDA, 2 boys, DC 2 & 3, 2/1/12 at 36 weeks, VB, T1 5lb 5oz, T2 5lb 11oz
claireinmodena dcda bg born 8/2 Emma (2,870 kg) and Riccardo (2,310 kg)
StinkingBishop 2 &3 DCDA girls EDD 19/3/12
RedNellie DC 2&3, DCDA boys, EDD 28/3/12
DreamingOfPeace, DCDA boys, DC 2 & 3, EDD 19/4/12
Skitoo: DCDA Boys, DC #1&2, EDD 14/05/12
Bigboobsatlast: MCDA Boys, DC #2 & 3. EDD 23.05.12
Buonasera, 1&2, DCDA, EDD 22/05/12 (???)
Lilyni DC 4&5, DCDA, EDD 12/06/12
goimgmadtrying: mcda id girls dc 3&4!!!! edd 05/08/12
Teds DCDA #1&2 EDD 31/07/12
Kazar99 DCDA EDD ???

rednellie Fri 09-Mar-12 12:15:57

Hello lovelies - hope you find your way here. Kazar, I'm sorry your stats aren't that filled in, I put what I could work out for you in my addled brain!

And welcome back stinking, I'm now officially not the next person due so that's a relief. I feel like I can go back to being complacent now!

And seriously, this itching can bog off. I've been awake every hour on the dot tonight. I'm going to have months of not sleeping, so why start now.

bigboobs - yey about the buggy. I love mine and have been using it loads already. I'm currently using it more as a zimmer frame than anything else, but I've not had a problem with it. Talking of which stinking how wide is your front door as the mountain buggy duet might fit? It is the same width as their ordinary single pushchair...

Waves to claire - looking forward to joining you on the post natal thread once I've popped. And yes, you're right, I've been very lucky. And I'll do my best to warn you of imminent delivery if I can.

Hope you're alright dreaming, don't like radio silence from you...

BB3 Fri 09-Mar-12 12:46:45

Very quickly marking my place

Thanks for doing the thread rednellie x

Dream try not to stress too much just keep an eye on things and don't bat an eyelid about going in to be checked if you nee reassurance.

Stinking, think it's unlikely you would DNA test from them or any hospital as it's not a necessity iyswim. I don't think they're massively expensive to do privately if you're really keen to know. Yes the buggy rednellie recommended might be better for you. I personally wouldn't use a single buggy but then I have ds aswell. But the girls are just so heavy to carry for any length of time. My friend uses a whiteboard to record food time and amounts for her dd each day.

Re downs i didnt have the test either as it's not accurate enough with dcda so any high risk result would mean an amnio on both babies which I wouldn't have allowed so felt it was a bit pointless.

Claire, hello so glad babies are doing ok despite waking more, I think the girls got a but tough around the 5/6 week Mark but then for better. Give them a big snuggle and kiss from us xxx

Right have to run, peeling, I'm coming to find you in post natal.

Hello all!

I did check in earlier, but was racing out to meet this twin mum- I was a bit late. HOW EMBARRASSING!!! She had got her 3 year old to pre-school and her DCDA boys out ready, and me with one child was late blush. AND I dropped DD and my mum off at a playgroup because no way would she have been good in a coffee place... She (the twin mum) was so lovely though. Her boys were gorgeous. Identical. She thinks they are, and is looking into having them tested now. stinking, I don't think it's reasonable for the NHS to test, it is after all a finite resource, and unless it was for a health issue there's no need to know iykwim? Hers are 8 months and look so similar (I couldn't tell them apart!), but if they're not ID it's often clear they're not by then anyway... She says it's £80-90 for testing so not ridiculous. They were so good too- in their Nipper buggy, both got a little fretful, she paid no attention and they both just went to sleep- no jiggling, no crying, no fussing. I was amazed grin

I couldn't have any Downs testing kazar (and most importantly, welcome to the thread! congratulations) Not offered in our Trust. It has to be done by 13+6.

I'm less worried today- I am rationalising that it's more likely to be the scan measurements are out rather than that twin 2 is not growing well (right?!). Finding it hard to not worry about the movements as their limbs are all central at the minute and it's so hard to tell which is which. But yes, anything worrying I'll just go in and be checked.

Hello claire, sounds like it's a tough slog at the minute with the sleeping and winding. Are you mixed feeding? I've heard similar about the Dr Brown's bottles, so I've bought some for if I can express, and borrowed a pump I might be able to give some bottles too. DD was very windy, it's such hard work but you still sound like you're coping really well. Hope it's going ok without the MIL/your mum there.

Hooray bigboobs, buggy sounds good. I do have some Duet envy....

Right, must dash, will be back to fuel my mn addiction some more later grin

rednellie Fri 09-Mar-12 15:35:31

Oooh, just remembered - stinking, my doula said that with her twins she'd have a bowl that represented each one and a stash of coins. When she'd fed one she'd put a coin in that bowl. That way, at the end of each day she could see how often each had been fed and give more as necessary. Might be an idea? I wont be able to do that as I have a DD who is obsessed with coins and it would end up in coinmagedon. grin

Yes dreaming don't worry, and as BB3 sensibly says, if you're worried, get checked out. No one's said anything to me about movements...I thought they slow down anyway towards the end as there's less room (apparently hmm) than before. I can't tell too easily now which is which as there limbs are all atangle, but I did feel hiccups in my lady bits so one is definitely still head down!

Ha, its a bit catch 22 rednellie. It's probably nothing, but placental problems often have reduced movement as their only indication therefore need to be extra vigilant about foetal movements til this doppler hopefully shows bloodflow to twin 2 is just fine! But easier said than done with twins... I think back on the ease of counting kicks/ noting movement with one with nostalgia!!

I hadn't even thought of charting feeds etc. Should I?! Sure I'd forget to mark it down accurately anyway...

And I realised we have bought no clothing for the boys as have loads of hand me downs. I'm a bit sad as i just realised this means they obviously have no matching outfits, and not even matching babygros for when they're born. Or is this a good thing? Does anyone think they'll dress their twins the same? I'd always thought I wouldn't as they're two people and i don't want them to be 'the twins' but now i see we've nothing the same I'm wondering...

And strangely, today I'm excited they might be ID and hoping they are?! Maybe just meeting those id DCDA boys this morning...

Thanks for the new thread Rednellie! And pleased to see I am not next in line after you and Dream - thats you Skitoo!! In fact Stinking pushes me back in to a compfortable 5th position!

Dream, I never for one minute thought I would dress mine the same - but now I think they will actually be dressed very similar if not the same - for practical reasons if nothing else, as I am quite choosy about outfits (dont like anything too cutsie and definitely nothing 'disney'!) - so it so much easier when you are shopping just to pick up two outfits the same.

I always swore I would never dress the same... but now I am thinking 'oh but they will look so cute'!! what am I doing?!! I want them to be individuals for goodness sake. Must have a word with myself!

Only thing left on my list to get for hospital bags is muslins (got a few left from DD but most were so horribly stained that I had to throw them out). I will get them from mothercare as they are quite pricey and I have a voucher for there - when did muslins get so bloody expensive???!

Glad your meet with RL twin mummy went well Dream - I will let you know how I get on when I have met mine next week.

Feeling for you and your itching Rednellie - my tummy itches all the time and it is horrid, although does not keep me awake so not too bad I guess.

Exactly bigboobs if other people can't tell them apart they'll just be 'the twins' not be called by name as people won't want to get it wrong etc. but they would look cute... The twins today were wearing matching tops... We have enough hand me downs to buy nothing til they're 6 months at least. So if i want anything matching I'll have to buy it. Hmm.

Yes, I'm third on the list. That's good. Plenty of breathing room!!! I forgot all about muslins. Eek. My hospital bag is jammed full too, oh help... It's not a very big bag, but its that or a huge step up to a miles bigger one. For goodness sake- I can't even make a simple decision about a bag any more!!!! Speaking of which I still don't have a twin size changing bag...

BB3 Fri 09-Mar-12 17:06:17

Hello ladies

Re outfits I was adamant if I had same sex babies I would not dress them the same and virtually every outfit the girls have ever been in is the same or similar (or at least from the same pack of babygros!) it just is so cute and so very much easier. When they're older they'll dress more in similar clothes than the sane and soon enough they won't let me have a say wink

I don't record feeds - tbh in the first few weeks that's all it's about so you jut don't forget as it's so regular!

BB3 Fri 09-Mar-12 17:08:06

Oh and no one has ever called them 'the twins' it's always, always 'the girls'. Not sure why but I think if ds was a dd or they were b/g twins they might be more likely to refer to them as 'twins' so dream imagine you'll be how is I and the boys x

claireinmodena Fri 09-Mar-12 17:23:04

stinking I have used a feeding chart downloaded from the twinsstore website, cant do links on phone, but you should be able to find it if you google it. I didnt last long tbh though. Babies have enough wet &dirty nappies not to make me worry,(and cost me a fortune), and I am demand feeding so dont really look at the clock when cry I just shove a boob/bottle in their miuths feed them.

But I am hopeless with schedules/routines...

claireinmodena Fri 09-Mar-12 17:27:16

And we call them twins or babies all the time!
I alao have loads of hand me downs, but bought their first outfits as I wanted to at leadt buy stg. Its just 2 babygrows by gap same style but in pink/blue and same for their first vests. That was it. So far I have managed not to dress him in pink, but normally is whatever's clean and in clise range!

goingmadtrying Fri 09-Mar-12 18:24:00

hello everyone look at our shiny new threadsmile

im feeling a bit strange now as i have brought the girls exactly the same outfits blush i think it will look so cute

i got some muslins from babies r us pink ones for £7 ish pounds for 4 i think, have seen them cheaper in tesco since so check them out too

just a quickie as cooking dinner, have been rushing round so have given myself heart burn sad

rednellie Fri 09-Mar-12 19:22:23

I think matching outfits is ok for the first year, but if you're matching them after that or calling them 'the twins' rather than their names then there could be a problem. My few grown up twin friends all HATED being dressed the same (once they were aware of it, obviously!) and have all done a lot to distinguish themselves from their twin. I know quite a few people who buy the same outfit, but in different colours, so one twin always has blue stuff and the other green. bigboobs, I'm dead picky too! We've got a few hand me downs, but most of the clothes are from DD as we didn't dress her in a particularly girlie way until very recently. I'd probably draw a line at putting the boys into dresses, but if a babygrow is still decent they'll be wearing it whether it's blue, salmon pink or green! I never did get to grips with muslins - my Mum thinks I'm insane, but I honestly never really needed them for DD. I have had to buy a few more nappies (oh yeah, did I not tell you I'm insane and going to be using reusables...grin) but it's worth the investment in the long run.

dreaming, I guess all you can do is keep an eye on it and attempt to keep sane...

RE: schedules, I'd never even thought of it until my doula mentioned it, but then I never worried about it with DD. I got totally fed up with the weigh ins with the health visitor so stopped going after a while - as long as she looked good, had wet and dirty nappies and kept growing out of clothes I was happy. But if it works for you then it's great.

goingmad, the general consensus seems to be we thought we wouldn't but actually do/ might dress them the same/ similar... Especially when they're tiny. I did see 2.5 yr old ID boys at a playgroup once though, and they were dressed identically and i couldn't tell the difference so wouldn't have been able to greet them etc by name without asking mum (or them!) . I don't think I'd do matching dressing at that age for that reason, so they're individuals, but be tempted when they're tiny!

Anyway, back on with bedtime...

BB3 Fri 09-Mar-12 19:49:21

Rednellie, I use reusables, I think they're easier than disposables with the twins. I had 20 with ds and bought another 20 for using with the girls as well as the less tatty old ones. I currently use disposables at night as the girls wet really heavily over night so reusables were soaking through their clothes but as soon as it calms down they'll be back in them for nights again. I used disposables for a fortnight when everyone was sick and in hospital and I couldn't believe how much it cost me (although I have a real funny sense of smell with regard to urine in nappies so I change disposables all the time!)

I also said i'd never dress girls in baby pink and the girls have loads of it, funny how your opinions change when they're here! grin

goingmadtrying Fri 09-Mar-12 19:49:58

yes im thinking only why their babiessmile i do think once their older similar clothes in different colours, what's the point in having 2 twin girls if i can't dress them the same!!, i of course wouldn't have dressed a boy and girl in the same dresses!!!!!lol

good luck tonight dream

BB3 Fri 09-Mar-12 19:52:33

Goingmad, that's exactly how I feel, same then similar!!! They sometimes wear different clothes and they look so strange seeing as they mostly match (even if it's matching outfit but different colours).

goingmadtrying Fri 09-Mar-12 20:45:27

i have to admit it i have gone a little alot mad this week with buying!!!! i have got them some beautiful clothes about 6/7 outfits plus the vests and babygrows blush I've brought lots of reduced stuff so not spent loads but i promised myself and dh that i wouldn't go mad this time....oops think it may be too late grin it doesn't help that my mum encourages me and has brought loads too!!!!!

Lilyni Fri 09-Mar-12 20:49:50

Just popping in to say hello on the new thread ( hanging my head in shame that Im so bad at posting) ..... thanks for setting it up rednellie and for making me chuckle at the "coinmagedon" and your hilarious introduction to Kazar " can I just point out Im not obsessed with incontinence pants" - brilliant!!!

Hello Kazar and welcome ...... Im around the same age as you and expecting DCDA girls (but nos. 4 & 5 for me).

hope everyone else is doing well and Im excitedly ooking forward to hearing the news of some new arrivals soon.

I have had the results of my glucose tolerance test back and my blood sugar levels are raised. I have to go to hosp next thurs to speak to the midwives and doctors but looks like I may have gestational diabetes. So now Im like you dreaming and worried about the size of the babies.

I also got a sickline of my doc this morning for the tiredness which takes me up to 29 weeks when Ill be starting my maternity leave. Feeling guilty about starting ML so early but Im just exhausted.

Big hellos to everyone else - (I havent posted in so long that Ive kinda lost touch with whats goin on)

BB3 Fri 09-Mar-12 20:51:12

Going, I always buy them too much, dh complains that his 5 month old daughters have more clothes than him and ds combined blush so I'm sure your dh will get used to it!grin

BB3 Fri 09-Mar-12 20:52:37

Lilynl, don't feel guilty, just enjoy the rest for yourself and your babies xx

Absolutely lilyni this twin pg malarky is blooming hard I'm finding smile.

And rednellie is always really good value for money, for a laugh and advice!- you're not allowed to disappear exclusively to the post natal thread peeling has set up once they're here, ok?! Seeing as that could literally be anytime now. Hope the itching is ok ish....

goingmadtrying Fri 09-Mar-12 21:50:03

Lol BB3 I have always been that way but was determined to not go overboard!!! Oh well its my only time to spoil my little girls smile

Liliyna no dont feel guity I had to have a couple of weeks off, and tbh even though I've got weeks to go I could quite easily finish work now. Make sure you rest when you can and dont be too hard on yourself .

This thread is not accepting new messages.